hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sunday was the first time for ages that I studied Joe’s performance and I agree that under Johnston we are now seeing a hungrier player who goes looking for the ball at every opportunity whether in attack or by pressing the opposition player carrying the ball.

The thing that I’d previously overlooked was how tightly he is marked. Hearts has clearly identified Joe as a playmaker with the result that he was afforded very little time to run with the ball.
    It's incredible how many times it's overlooked that there are 11 other players on the park trying to disrupt our play.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    It's incredible how many times it's overlooked that there are 11 other players on the park trying to disrupt our play.
    C'mon ,eh , yes of course . Joe can't handle it . Same disruption for everyone.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiza View Post
    That's not true at all. Some players have way more time on the ball, ie, Gogic when he was here. You wouldn't mark him, you'd leave him free, he's the guy you want the opposition to have on the ball as he's useless on it, guys like Newell are the ones that get marked out the game

I'm not saying it's the reason for any poor games he's had, but to say all players have the same disruption is just blatantly wrong, as teams will set up to specifically disrupt certain players, usually the better ones.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiza View Post
    That's just a load of *****. He is one of the players who can absolutely handle being pressed.

There's a reason that since Newell got moved into the middle of the park that he's been an almost automatic starter under 3 different managers.

He's not above criticism by any means but some of the stuff that regularly gets trotted out about him is just embarrassing to read. The guy can't do it all on his own but if we lose the knives are out when there are generally always far bigger culprits. I appreciate people can have differing opinions on a players ability but he simply is not the player that his regular critics say he is. At this level he is well above average and his performances range from decent to very good. Talk of him not having appetite, hiding etc are absolute nonsense.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    There's a reason that since Newell got moved into the middle of the park that he's been an almost automatic starter under 3 different managers.

He's not above criticism by any means but some of the stuff that regularly gets trotted out about him is just embarrassing to read. The guy can't do it all on his own but if we lose the knives are out when there are generally always far bigger culprits. I appreciate people can have differing opinions on a players ability but he simply is not the player that his regular critics say he is. At this level he is well above average and his performances range from decent to very good. Talk of him not having appetite, hiding etc are absolute nonsense.
    Always there to pick up the ball and take under pressure. Rarely miss passes. Much more forward thinking this season. Hard in the tackle and fights to win pocession. Sometimes needlessly fouls. A solid 7.5 out of 10 every game.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Always there to pick up the ball and take under pressure. Rarely miss passes. Much more forward thinking this season. Hard in the tackle and fights to win pocession. Sometimes needlessly fouls. A solid 7.5 out of 10 every game.
    Sounds like a player we will struggle to keep hold of!

I agree with elements of your description but a little bit of rose tinted glasses in the description IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Sounds like a player we will struggle to keep hold of!

I agree with elements of your description but a little bit of rose tinted glasses in the description IMO.
    Indeed. He is neither fantastic nor awful every week.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post

Or mostly average 6 with the odd 7-8 thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Indeed. He is neither fantastic nor awful every week.
    It's not good enough , completely uninspirational, quite boring to be honest.

And , yes , I'm boring too.

Fantastic that Joe turned up to watch the development squad last night, he was low profile, just stood behind the goals, good to see. 👍🏻

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    Fantastic that Joe turned up to watch the development squad last night, he was low profile, just stood behind the goals, good to see. 👍🏻
    Fantastic? Really.
    Nice that he turned up to watch the kids but I'd prefer he turned up at Livvi on Sunday.
    The reason I regularly have a pop at Joe is that unlike some of the others he does have some ability.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post

From the start of his H8bs career until now he has been average.
    No better no worse.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Fantastic? Really.
    Nice that he turned up to watch the kids but I'd prefer he turned up at Livvi on Sunday.
    The reason I regularly have a pop at Joe is that unlike some of the others he does have some ability.
    I’d prefer him turning up on Saturday tbf

No better no worse.
    Just a dumb thing to say really. He started absolutely awful so that was certainly worse.

Since then he's been mostly good, sometimes excellent, certainly no more poor games than anyone else, but some had never got over his start, and him being an English lower league signing.

@hibs.net private member

Joe Newell.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Just a dumb thing to say really. He started absolutely awful so that was certainly worse.

Since then he's been mostly good, sometimes excellent, certainly no more poor games than anyone else, but some had never got over his start, and him being an English lower league signing.
    Thing is he signed from Rotherham after playing for them in the a championship..wasn’t even a lower league player ….
    Last edited by bigwheel; 11-08-2022 at 04:47 PM.

I've said here before it's pretty blatant a certain section of our support just took a dislike to joe, and it's blatantly obvious. I'll come away from a loss thinking certain players struggled, but every, single, time I come home there's a thread about Joe, the match thread is filled with abuse and any other game related threads somehow turn into a Joe Newell is crap fest.

Its a shame as he's really taken to the club, seems to care a lot and give his all, just to be disliked for no reason by a section of our support.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    I've said here before it's pretty blatant a certain section of our support just took a dislike to joe, and it's blatantly obvious. I'll come away from a loss thinking certain players struggled, but every, single, time I come home there's a thread about Joe, the match thread is filled with abuse and any other game related threads somehow turn into a Joe Newell is crap fest.

Its a shame as he's really taken to the club, seems to care a lot and give his all, just to be disliked for no reason by a section of our support.
    It’s just that folk (and not some tiny minority) hold the opposite opinion to you on his abilities.

It’s nothing to do with disliking the guy, some folk just don’t think he’s anywhere near as good as others do as a player.

Yep. It's really sad. This place was extremely toxic at that time and in his and Doidges case it's never moved on.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Poor Joe. He’s just not been given a fair shake of things to win all Hibs fans over (as he approaches 100 games)

@hibs.net private member

It’s a good summary this ..reactions seem to target a few regularly and Joe is always high on the hit list . Still one of our best players imho…

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Poor Joe. He’s just not been given a fair shake of things to win all Hibs fans over (as he approaches 100 games)
    Folk would have you believe only 10 of those were good Thats the kind of utter pish hes up against

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I’m a massive Joe Newell fan, think he gets far too much stick.

I could say the same about Hanlon.

Both easy picks for any Hibs manager when they’re fit enough.

I think personally the problem with Newell is that everyone knows he's a good player, but doesn't really stand out enough in an attacking sense, it seems the dirty side of the game is now what he does more, when he was at Rotherham he was more of a goal threat and a flair player, I like Newell the issue is the midfield as a whole, if we could add a bit flair in beside him he would be fine imo, although I'd like to see him contribute more in an attacking sense goals and assists as he's certainly capable of bursting on and contributing in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It’s just that folk (and not some tiny minority) hold the opposite opinion to you on his abilities.

It’s nothing to do with disliking the guy, some folk just don’t think he’s anywhere near as good as others do as a player.

I'm fine with those who think he's got things to improve on, im talking about a section of our fans who seem to think everything and anything on the park is Joe's fault. There's those that rate him, those that don't and those that push it way too far with the abuse/criticism because it's an obvious dislike to him

Yep. It's really sad. This place was extremely toxic at that time and in his and Doidges case it's never moved on.
    Sorry ,we are not allowed to say we do not think he plays well enough or is a good fit for Hibs because you and others think it is something personal..................total nonsense !

No better no worse.
    Maybe hibs nets most negative poster?

Newell is a cracking player and will thrive with better players around him.

I'm fine with those who think he's got things to improve on, im talking about a section of our fans who seem to think everything and anything on the park is Joe's fault. There's those that rate him, those that don't and those that push it way too far with the abuse/criticism because it's an obvious dislike to him
    It’s not a dislike of Newell, it’s a dislike of his performances. Include myself in that, I find him so frustrating to watch. Anyone can see he is capable, but the problem with him is that I think we spend a lot of time talking about how he is capable of more without seeing him actually do it.

Don’t think anyone really thinks everything is his fault either. But he’s such a constant and key part of the team that he’s going to attract more comment IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Sorry ,we are not allowed to say we do not think he plays well enough or is a good fit for Hibs because you and others think it is something personal..................total nonsense !
    You're missing the obvious point. Nobody has an issue with critiquing him, it's the 25 "waste of a jersey", " heart of a mouse", "wage thief" comments that inevitably come Joes way whenever the team doesn't perform that is getting a bit boring.

If we don't win, I fully expect to come on here and see a thread about Newell, tens of posts in different threads targeting him.

There's fans that don't rate him, sound, there's ones that do, but there's also a section of our support that use Joe as a scapegoat when they need a wee moan.