hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 289

Thread: Joe Newell.

  1. #121
    If you think Newel was poor on Sunday what about Henderson never good enough for Hibs, hides most of the time has no physicality imposter of a player body language says it all little boy lost.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    hibs.net Branch Member BS44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Greenland
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by john rossi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think Newel was poor on Sunday what about Henderson never good enough for Hibs, hides most of the time has no physicality imposter of a player body language says it all little boy lost.
    How can you possibly tell all this about a young guy at the very start of his football career?

  4. #123
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,980
    Quote Originally Posted by john rossi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think Newel was poor on Sunday what about Henderson never good enough for Hibs, hides most of the time has no physicality imposter of a player body language says it all little boy lost.
    Henderson didn’t have a good game yesterday but he was one of our best players towards the end of last season and through the summer games.

    He deserves to be cut a bit of slack for a poor performance and he’ll know himself that he needs to do better.

  5. #124
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by john rossi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think Newel was poor on Sunday what about Henderson never good enough for Hibs, hides most of the time has no physicality imposter of a player body language says it all little boy lost.

    Wish folk would stop claiming players hide. Aye, some over the years have, and whilst there's a lot of problems with this Hibs squad, hiding isn't one. JDH, Newell, Campbell and Hendo have all had the hiding chat, it's an easy out for most looking to slate someone despite being a shoddy thing to say about a player.

    Wouldn't bother me if they did, but I don't think any do. Some aren't good enough, some are developing, but im yet to see any of these players specifically hide in a match, and over the years we've had a few that do.

    I think it's pretty evident whether they're good enough or not, unlike some of our most gash team's, these lads do seem to actually care.

  6. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by john rossi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think Newel was poor on Sunday what about Henderson never good enough for Hibs, hides most of the time has no physicality imposter of a player body language says it all little boy lost.
    Easy to spot those who only watch derbies.

  7. #126
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    30,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Henderson didn’t have a good game yesterday but he was one of our best players towards the end of last season and through the summer games.

    He deserves to be cut a bit of slack for a poor performance and he’ll know himself that he needs to do better.
    Good post.

  8. #127
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    54,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seem to remember you called him a show pony one week and praised him the next 🤔
    He's more often a show pony than good, would you rather i kept saying that even when he does play well and not recognise when he is good?

  9. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Henderson didn’t have a good game yesterday but he was one of our best players towards the end of last season and through the summer games.

    He deserves to be cut a bit of slack for a poor performance and he’ll know himself that he needs to do better.
    100% this. However Hendo needs to work on his upper body strength as he was brushed aside by Hearts players on several occasions, either that or get his game to a level where he is able to avoid these physical duels.

  10. #129
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    30,890
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's more often a show pony than good, would you rather i kept saying that even when he does play well and not recognise when he is good?
    What is a 'show pony' anyway? He should be the good pony you get out for shows, while your rubbish pony stays in the field lonely eating thistles. Kind of a weird expression.
    Zemmama is an archetypal show pony.

  11. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's more often a show pony than good, would you rather i kept saying that even when he does play well and not recognise when he is good?
    Nah, just stop making threads up about the man with your all over the place opinion.

  12. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by john rossi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you think Newel was poor on Sunday what about Henderson never good enough for Hibs, hides most of the time has no physicality imposter of a player body language says it all little boy lost.
    LJ stuck him out on the wing. He's never a winger in a million years. He's a 10. Newell is an 8. Kenneh is a 6.

  13. #132
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,633
    Typical hibs.net - riding on a high but can't get through a day without ripping into one of our players!

    Similar to our managers, it seems some will never be happy with our midfielders until they are all singing all dancing, tackling, shooting, killer-passing wunder-boys. For me the trick is getting the balance right in the middle and Newell looks better when we get that balance right.

    He did well in the Derby- give him a break FFS!

  14. #133
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LJ stuck him out on the wing. He's never a winger in a million years. He's a 10. Newell is an 8. Kenneh is a 6.
    Agreed - thought Henderson was wasted out wide on Sunday. I posted about midfield balance above and right now I reckon that 6, 8, 10 combo is likely to be the most productive.

  15. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed - thought Henderson was wasted out wide on Sunday. I posted about midfield balance above and right now I reckon that 6, 8, 10 combo is likely to be the most productive.
    A fair few on here seem to expect our midfielders to be complete players with the ability to play anywhere in midfield and still score goals. Those types of player are few and far between in football as a whole. Whoever ends up being number 10 needs to chip in with goals, but i dont expect that much from an 8 (bar assists), and a 6 (one goal a season if we are lucky). We need 2 players for each of these positions, and we aren't far from having that now. If Kyle ever comes back into the team we will have a 10 that we know can score goals. JDH and Newell can play the 8. Kenneh and JDH ( at a push) can play the 6. I also think McGeady will be much better at 10 than out wide.

  16. #135
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A fair few on here seem to expect our midfielders to be complete players with the ability to play anywhere in midfield and still score goals. Those types of player are few and far between in football as a whole. Whoever ends up being number 10 needs to chip in with goals, but i dont expect that much from an 8 (bar assists), and a 6 (one goal a season if we are lucky). We need 2 players for each of these positions, and we aren't far from having that now. If Kyle ever comes back into the team we will have a 10 that we know can score goals. JDH and Newell can play the 8. Kenneh and JDH ( at a push) can play the 6. I also think McGeady will be much better at 10 than out wide.
    I'd agree with all of this.

    My only issue is how much we're likely to see of Magennis or McGeady, both of whom I'd expect to be injured a fair bit.

    I'd also say that sometimes when we struggle it can be because Newell drifts back towards being a second 6, leaving us without the 8 and the whole team suffers as a result. He seemed to correct that himself on Sunday, he needs to notice when that's happening and when it's a problem for us and get himself looking forward a bit more, with a bit more urgency.
    Last edited by Smartie; 09-08-2022 at 09:23 AM.

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Leith Links/Glasgow
    Posts
    2,454
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd agree with all of this.

    My only issue is how much we're likely to see of Magennis or McGeady, both of whom I'd expect to be injured a fair bit.

    I'd also say that sometimes when we struggle it can be because Newell drifts back towards being a second 6, leaving us without the 8 and the whole team suffers as a result. He seemed to correct that himself on Sunday, he needs to notice when that's happening and when it's a problem for us and get himself looking forward a bit more, with a bit more urgency.
    Honestly think that was a tactical thing with both Ross and Maloney. They both liked to have two deep centre mids who would play safety first passes in order for us to retain the ball. Which lead to having Newell and Gogic then Newell and JDH never making runs into the opposition box, or attempting a risky forward pass if there was any chance of it being intercepted.

    Every game I've seen of Newell under Johnson (even the ones he's been poor), he's been much more forward thinking with both attacking runs and passes into the final third imo.

  18. #137
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly think that was a tactical thing with both Ross and Maloney. They both liked to have two deep centre mids who would play safety first passes in order for us to retain the ball. Which lead to having Newell and Gogic then Newell and JDH never making runs into the opposition box, or attempting a risky forward pass if there was any chance of it being intercepted.

    Every game I've seen of Newell under Johnson (even the ones he's been poor), he's been much more forward thinking with both attacking runs and passes into the final third imo.
    Newell had drifted back towards being the Newell of old during the first half on Sunday, after a promising start.

    He then had a nightmare spell where he seemed to accept that he hadn't been involved enough and seemed hell bent on getting involved, and nothing much was going right for him.

    After that he settled into a pretty decent individual performance, even though there were a fair few poor ones going on round about him.

    He does deserve credit for Sunday. The easiest thing would have been for him to disappear altogether and get hooked after about an hour with us 2 or 3 down. It's mainly down to whoever kicked his arse (might even have been himself) that that didn't happen.

  19. #138
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    63
    Posts
    26,686
    show pony
    nounINFORMAL•BRITISH
    a stylish or flamboyant person, especially a performer, who enjoys being in the limelight.

  20. #139
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    30,890
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    show pony
    nounINFORMAL•BRITISH
    a stylish or flamboyant person, especially a performer, who enjoys being in the limelight.
    So thats a good thing then? Certainly that definition isnt pejorative.
    Lets all be show ponies.

  21. #140
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    on the moon, howling
    Age
    61
    Posts
    11,522
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    show pony
    nounINFORMAL•BRITISH
    a stylish or flamboyant person, especially a performer, who enjoys being in the limelight.
    He's got the talent but should be hungry enough to put himself at the centre of things. I don't see that appetite.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

  22. #141
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's got the talent but should be hungry enough to put himself at the centre of things. I don't see that appetite.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Out of all the critiques of Newell, I think this is the furthest from the truth . He is as committed a player as we have . He cares about his football and never goes missing, even when he’s having a bad game - always makes himself available for the ball . I accept He’s got a bit of the Mikey Stewart about him , in the sense he can have days where it’s going for him and others it’s not . But don’t agree at all that he needs to have an increased appetite to perform .

  23. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of all the critiques of Newell, I think this is the furthest from the truth . He is as committed a player as we have . He cares about his football and never goes missing, even when he’s having a bad game - always makes himself available for the ball . I accept He’s got a bit of the Mikey Stewart about him , in the sense he can have days where it’s going for him and others it’s not . But don’t agree at all that he needs to have an increased appetite to perform .
    Spot on, anyone that says he hides has either never watched him play or knows nothing about the game.

  24. #143
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    63
    Posts
    26,686
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So thats a good thing then? Certainly that definition isnt pejorative.
    Lets all be show ponies.
    Well yes and no, he has the talent and he knows this but doesn't show it nearly enough and therefore disappears in games instead of stamping his authority on them. He shows exactly what he can do in patches but we want to see more than just patches, he's a very frustrating player to watch most of the time.

  25. #144
    Thought he played well on Sunday.

    He just seems to be the easy target for a lot of people right now.

  26. #145
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    on the moon, howling
    Age
    61
    Posts
    11,522
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of all the critiques of Newell, I think this is the furthest from the truth . He is as committed a player as we have . He cares about his football and never goes missing, even when he’s having a bad game - always makes himself available for the ball . I accept He’s got a bit of the Mikey Stewart about him , in the sense he can have days where it’s going for him and others it’s not . But don’t agree at all that he needs to have an increased appetite to perform .
    Am not saying he hides. Its about his skills and abilities, which he undoubtedly has, compared to how many times he actually displays them. A player like him playing in the front of the attackers should be demanding the ball and keen to damage the opposition as much as possible. Saw it with Edwards, Zemmama, Latapy, Scotty - I just don't see that kind of appetite coming from him. Opinions eh.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

  27. #146
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am not saying he hides. Its about his skills and abilities, which he undoubtedly has, compared to how many times he actually displays them. A player like him playing in the front of the attackers should be demanding the ball and keen to damage the opposition as much as possible. Saw it with Edwards, Zemmama, Latapy, Scotty - I just don't see that kind of appetite coming from him. Opinions eh.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    He does demand the ball - regularly ..even when not playing well …There is maybe an argument about driving consistency, or perhaps developing his mental strength - you suggest it is “appetite “. That’s what I disagree with .

  28. #147
    @hibs.net private member Kato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    on the moon, howling
    Age
    61
    Posts
    11,522
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does demand the ball - regularly ..even when not playing well …There is maybe an argument about driving consistency, or perhaps developing his mental strength - you suggest it is “appetite “. That’s what I disagree with .
    Fair enough.

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

  29. #148
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought he played well on Sunday.

    He just seems to be the easy target for a lot of people right now.
    Exactly, he’s ahead of JDH by some distance. Newell played well second half, tried to make things happen and played some nice forward passes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #149
    @hibs.net private member RIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,346
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly, he’s ahead of JDH by some distance. Newell played well second half, tried to make things happen and played some nice forward passes.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sunday was the first time for ages that I studied Joe’s performance and I agree that under Johnston we are now seeing a hungrier player who goes looking for the ball at every opportunity whether in attack or by pressing the opposition player carrying the ball.

    The thing that I’d previously overlooked was how tightly he is marked. Hearts has clearly identified Joe as a playmaker with the result that he was afforded very little time to run with the ball.

  31. #150
    Testimonial Due Hibiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,159
    Think Joe should move on , free up a wage and a much needed place.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)