hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBS NUTS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i actually think that’s a nonsense statement, he was our best player second half, and i’m not a great fan.
    Agreed. I haven’t been his biggest fan since Stirling away but he got on the ball second half and tried to make things happen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I’ve always been one to defend Newell but I’m losing patience. He’s really naive at times and the lack of composure around the box is disappointing.

3 derbies on the bounce now where he’s come off second best to Haring IMO, which shouldn’t be the case.

He’s definitely still the best we have for this role at the moment though, so hopefully he can adapt to the new system and improve.

@hibs.net private member
    Decent enough first half thought he was our best player second, really drove the team on from the middle and was doing his best to make things happen! Always wanted the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Alternatively I think the idea he was our best player today is miles off the mark.
    Best outfield player?

Upgrade required. A decent player at times but nothing more. Preferable to the totally out of his depth Campbell. I mean I’d love Campbell to do well and turn out great but I just can’t see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    2nd half he started showing for the ball which is why he improved. Obviously had to be told to do it at half time. 1st half he was hiding. And that happens far too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hiding is something you could never accuse the man of and just goes to show you know absolutely nothing about football.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    How many times are we going to see threads like this, where he's been invisible, then puts in a good shift?

Looking forward, i agree with some of the other posts, we need better.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    How many times are we going to see threads like this, where he's been invisible, then puts in a good shift?

As many times as you start them I suppose, what a weird question to ask yourself.

I dont think he is as bad as a lot of folk make out. Defo have him in the team ahead of JC and JDH and has shown more than Henderson has.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I dont think he is as bad as a lot of folk make out. Defo have him in the team ahead of JC and JDH and has shown more than Henderson has.
    To be fair, Henderson is a young laddie at 22, totally different player to Newell. He wasn't good today. But has bulkled up a wee bit over the summer, think he has only played like 20 professional games before we got him on loan in January and the few goals we did score he was involved in them.

He definitely isn't the finished article but over a season he will have more good games than Newell, was posted missing today but Newell does that mostly 3 out of 4 games then gives us a glimmer of hope, he is also one of our veteran players who the young lads should look up to.

Henderson definitely has the technical ability has an eye for a ball but like most young inexperienced players they will be inconsistent, happens with the majority of them with as little game time as he has had in his young career, the good thing is he maybe doesn't always score but he does get involved in the set up of a goal and also plays some lovely weighted balls.

Also with him being 22 we do have time to train him and develop him to this stuff regularly, but he certainly already impresses in more games than Newell does who is a veteran of this squad with tons of experience before even joining us and has never improved, think hendersons scored the same in all competitions or 1 off than newell in about 20 games and Newell is well over 100, he has also provided more goalscoring chances and been involved in the movements.

But aye today he was *****. I think Mcgeady could be good for him to learn from, infact now Boyle is back thats probably an even better shout. He was nowhere near the finished article, older and more experienced. I don't think he will exceed how good players Boyle is, I'm shocked we got him back but I think by the end of his career he will be remembered fondly by fans of clubs he plays for either with us and or after us than Newell, Campbell or JDH will. I had high hopes for JDH too, something is just different about him, he's still a decent age and aslong as not played as a 3 maybe LJ can get something out of him but not as a starter.

We've got Kenneh in there who can break up play then get it forward, he will look an even better player if we get someone beside him who can drive forward like Newell does occasionally like the second half today but usually once a month, but one who actually can score even 4-6 goals a season and get a few assists etc instead of driving forward and then not doing much after that 90% of the time.

A Magennis type would be perfect and when Magennis comes back if he's better than the player then we have a like for like replacement, even if its a loan.

But yeah Joe was decent today cant take that away from him, not brilliant but good, especially second half, bar the corners and when he *****s himself at the edge of the box insted of crossing it in, waiting on henderson and by that point all the hearts defenders were back. No idea what he was thinking there, maybe nerves,confidence I've no idea but from our senior central midfielder we need someone better if we are looking to get close to top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Possibly controversial opinion here but Hibs won’t improve until we upgrade on him.
    This is where i’m at.

How many more corners are gonna be wasted? He’s absolutely dreadful at them. Gordon must have been rubbing his hands. Bread and butter stuff.

The midfield is lacking and is slowing the game down too much. It’s been happening under JR, SM and now LJ. Need better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    This is where i’m at.

How many more corners are gonna be wasted? He’s absolutely dreadful at them. Gordon must have been rubbing his hands. Bread and butter stuff.

The midfield is lacking and is slowing the game down too much. It’s been happening under JR, SM and now LJ. Need better quality.
    Fully agree, so saves me from writing it. His corners yesterday were poor. There's nothing worse than the momentum being stopped by floating a ball into Gordon's reach.

This thread is a typical example of Hibs.net trading opinions. I think the majority on here agree that Newell is a good footballer and can appreciate that he does some things well, sometimes very well. But I think that there is also a majority that accept we need better more consistent players in midfield - who wouldn't - especially those who are goal threats either in scoring goals or creating goals. In terms of creativity, we need better.

Hearts have a fast, competitive midfield. To expect Newell to be top dog in there is unrealistic. However he is our strongest midfield tackler and pushes forward more than Campbell, Henderson and Doyle-Hayes. He absolutely should be better at corners though.

To all the posters claiming that we should sign someone better, no-one to date has identified where we are going to find that mythical player. Particularly to come to a club who could only manage bottom six last season. With better players behind and in front of Newell, I think he’s the most likely to be an ever present this season.

Fans can bump their gums all they want but the last four managers have all shown faith in Joe Newell
    Last edited by RIP; 08-08-2022 at 07:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Hearts have a fast, competitive midfield. To expect Newell to be top dog in there is unrealistic. However he is our strongest midfield tackler and pushes forward more than Campbell, Henderson and Doyle-Hayes. He absolutely should be better at corners though.

To all the posters claiming that we should sign someone better, no-one to date has identified where we are going to find that mythical player. Particularly to come to a club who could only manage bottom six last season. With better players behind and in front of Newell, I think he’s the most likely to be an ever present this season.

Fans can bump their gums all they want but the last four managers have all shown faith in Joe Newell
    Newell isn’t irreplaceable or someone we’re ever going to have to worry about a bigger club coming in for him. Over recent years in our league the likes of McGinn, Kamara, Alan Campbell, Docherty, Lewis Ferguson were all attainable if we moved early enough. We’re now spending on another level and scouting far and wide. So I think it’s wrong to say a player to replace or upgrade Newell is mythical.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 08-08-2022 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I thought he was utter garbage 1st half. I called him a *****bag in a WhatsApp chat and stand by it.

2nd I thought he was much better. He was constantly showing for the ball, often the only one. So often we had to go long because no one was brave enough to come short, Newell was willing to do that and he got us moving a few times, particularly down the right.

The issue for me is he just isn't what we need as he doesn't excel at much. He's not got an amazing range of passing, he's not got a huge engine, he's not quick and he offers zero goal threat. Kenneh does the dirty work well. Joe's neat and tidy style would work ok if he had better in there with him but that isn't an excuse for him. He could do more to be that better, more energetic player.

We need a midfielder and they need to be an energetic sort that is ready to play. That's going to cost a lot of money at this stage though.
    Pretty fair summary IMO.

Problem with Newell, IMO, is that he plays such an important position and so much of our play goes through him. Despite that he’s really average in most aspects of the game. He’s capable, but being capable and actually doing it are two different things

We’ve done really well to come away with four points in the first couple of games but it’ll be a struggle if we don’t get another midfielder in.

How did those last four managers fair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

It's not the fans' job to recruit players

Newell was ok in flashes but overall he underwhelms. Henderson similar IMO, just doesn’t get involved enough.

Midfield is weak overall. Probably why we kept bypassing it most of the game

He's a steady Eddie player, works hard, but we need to see him bursting forward more and chipping in with the odd goal, zero goal threat from midfield, although Henderson on the left takes a bit of threat away from the middle of the pitch.

Taps Newell sometimes hot sometimes cold

He was up against Haring and Jorge Grant. Neither of them are fast. They just did the basics better and Newell was suckered into silly fouls.

When Newell did find space at edge of the box, he panicked and gave it away a few times. Needs to do much better.

Still think Cadden could move forward to one of these roles and stick Miller in at RB.

I agree that Newell doesn't bring it often enough, but he's a long way from being the worst player at this club and yesterday he was probably our best player in the second half. The absolute battering he got in the matchday thread was way over the top. Perhaps it's because we all know he has the talent to be a far better player than he shows a lot of the time that he gets a harder time than practically any player at the club from us.

I think we can all agree he can't shoot to save his life ... but then neither could Dylan McGeouch

Thought Newell had a great game overall myself - he was pushing hard and he put in some terrific balls. IMO the problem with the corners is not always his delivery, but the fact our "forward line" is posted missing where it is needed. His job is to put the ball in the box, their job is to get on to it, they fail to do so so often. He has his bad moments though and he shouldn't commit needless fouls so late in the game, but I thought he was one of the guys on our team who really did not want to lose on Sunday.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I agree that Newell doesn't bring it often enough, but he's a long way from being the worst player at this club and yesterday he was probably our best player in the second half. The absolute battering he got in the matchday thread was way over the top. Perhaps it's because we all know he has the talent to be a far better player than he shows a lot of the time that he gets a harder time than practically any player at the club from us.

I think we can all agree he can't shoot to save his life ... but then neither could Dylan McGeouch
    Was good to see DM at the game yesterday too - certainly cheesing when he left the ground with his wee one

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Taps Newell sometimes hot sometimes cold
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Thought Newell had a great game overall myself - he was pushing hard and he put in some terrific balls. IMO the problem with the corners is not always his delivery, but the fact our "forward line" is posted missing where it is needed. His job is to put the ball in the box, their job is to get on to it, they fail to do so so often. He has his bad moments though and he shouldn't commit needless fouls so late in the game, but I thought he was one of the guys on our team who really did not want to lose on Sunday.
    I agree in that I thought he was decent yesterday. I did however think he was to blame for the very poor set pieces.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    A great game ? Deary me you are easily pleased.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    A great game ? Deary me you are easily pleased.
    I'd rather be easily pleased than never pleased

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Seem to remember you called him a show pony one week and praised him the next 🤔

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Seem to remember you called him a show pony one week and praised him the next 🤔
    Such are the consistency of his performances