Quote Originally Posted by Mutu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's our best midfielder.
    Doesn't say much for the rest of them 🤢

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    You’re comparing Newell to Allan and they’re completely different players
    No, I'm not, I'm stating he's none of those things.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I thought he had a poor middle of the game, but it was his penetrative passing in the last 15 minutes that gave us the chances late on that got us the draw. Deserves credit.

I've said before that I think that Newell, JDH and Campbell are good players, but we need a midfielder who's better than them if we are to be a team challenging at the top end of the league. There's virtually zero goal threat from them - yes, they'll score now and then, but I'd be want many more efforts on goal and assists from them.

As this thread is about Newell, he's a good midfielder but has far to many meh moments for me. For someone of his experience, I would be demanding more. Happy to see him alongside better midfielders, but we need better.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I thought he had a poor middle of the game, but it was his penetrative passing in the last 15 minutes that gave us the chances late on that got us the draw. Deserves credit.
    Yep I’ve been a long way from Joe’s biggest fan, but I thought he did quite well today. At least showed a bit of desire and urgency. Deserves his share of credit for the point salvaged.

His pass to Cabraja was exceptional. Needs to do it more often but a very good player

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    I noticed Joe more than hearts 'top signing, what a player, why arnt we signing folk like that' Jorge Grant

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Best midfielder we have at the club.

Others should be replaced before Newell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Thought our midfield was missing again today including Joe. The midfield is a puzzle LJ needs to get to grips with im sure he knows that though and im guessing will require a bit of time and a couple of transfer windows. We are very much work in progress but im sure we'll improve. Im not sure Joe will figure too much in the improved version.
    You thought Kenneh was missing? 2nd game in a professional football league and league first ever derby, guys used to playing under 23 football, he got stuck right into them and made some cracking tackles which stopped the play then got up from the challenge then pinged the ball out wide or forward most of the time. Not the finished article and his firs pro season training with first team players, only 19 and he's only going to improve.

Done a good job for a young lad chucked into his new teams game against their biggest rivals, last season he looked good with Jack Jenson beside him, he was box to box, he would win or hold the ball then play the ball for jack to run on to. Just needs the correct midfielder beside him and he will look even better. Newell looked ok in certain parts of the game but **** when he does go forward he stands looking confused around the box, mostly when he was on edge of the box when tons of hibs players were in the box waiting on a ball, he did go forward more second half and had a decent game like he does every now and again but he would be better as someone to come of the bench if we're aiming to finish high, Boyle seems to be a statement that we are.

Magennis could play that role beside him but I don't even know when he's back or how long before he gets injured again. but yeah cant see us tip 4 with him in the middle and signing another defender where we're going to be really short when injuries start stacking up.

Think Youan will just take a bit of time to settle, he's not afraid to get stuck in but think they will be working on his strength, Nisbet out and with Doidge not showing much i n the last 7-8 months a number 9 tyoe to bring off the bench or play alongside if we play 2 there.

CB and CM are the most important though if we get a box to box midfielder even on loan with these qualities for a season or defender would ,ale a big difference.

Never know some English league 1 side might fancy a pung on Doidge and we can replace him. LJ did say he was in talks about several players as well as Boyle, hopefully a cm and cb as we gonna be threadbare in cb in a few months with bookings etc.

But nah I reckon Kenneh already has looked good for us, at 19 is only going to get batter and if we do get someone who naturally wants to drive forward beside him think he will look even better and left isolated,

Few of his challenges in the first half stopped them when they were trying to counter, did what I think he was asked to do probably, let them know hes there early, break up play and get it forward or out to the wings. I like him, think the manager and staff do too. Definitely a lot of potential at only 19.

I had fears of anotherJosh Vela who was hyped as a good yioung prospect who will come on leaps and bounds up here but thankfiully not, he's 19, good and our best midfielder while Magennis is injured which is most of the time in my mind.

Can see us getting a decent fee for him in a couple of years, even Leeds rated him, he turned down a higher wage there to come play first team football there, just got to sit on the bench for 90 mins a few times last year which is fine at 18 in the EPL, good infact but think they signed another CM too and he wants to show what he can do and progress which he wont do as much with under 23 football.

Loved his celebration as well. That's not someone who doesn't get it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    He’ll never be for you then.

He cannae shoot. That’s not going to change.
    That’s why we need an upgrade on Joe. We need a centre midfielder that can do all he can do but also score goals/create chances. And someone who influences the game in both halves of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    That’s why we need an upgrade on Joe. We need a centre midfielder that can do all he can do but also score goals/create chances. And someone who influences the game in both halves of the game.
    Anything else?

There are no players in Scotland who do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Aye, but Wikipedia doesn’t split between league and cup games. Just says one goal in 79 games.

Even assuming it’s wrong and he’s got 4 or 5 goals it’s still an Absolutely hopeless record and we’ve every right to demand more from our centre midfielders. Would be different if he’s a defensive midfielder with no expectation of getting forward but he’s not, he’s got all the ability to drive forward and should do better.
    It does, scroll down past that part your loookig at then it shows you a players form for a club, which season, league games/goals cup, europe etc, think most differentiate from like FA cup and League cup too so think it will be same with scottish cup. I'd imagine it would as it does for other leagues, think they list the league cups as other and Scottish cup as "cup" or something if i remember correctly, was only 4 days ago but am gettin auld eh lol

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Anything else?

Like I said, I was quite happy with JN today..

But there are no midfielders in Scotland that are as good as him they can create/score chances and perform both halves??!!

Dear lord..

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Like I said, I was quite happy with JN today..

But there are no midfielders in Scotland that are as good as him they can create/score chances and perform both halves??!!

Dear lord..
    No. There are no players in Scotland who do all the things you want him to do. The job of 3 players.

I think you're describing magennis?? Would be huge to get him back 😁 I'm actually a fan of Joe's too, but can see that magennis would offer more

Left by mutual consent!
    Anything else?

Well scout them from out with Scotland?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    I think you're describing magennis?? Would be huge to get him back 😁 I'm actually a fan of Joe's too, but can see that magennis would offer more
    I’ll take your word for that. Magennis needs chased out the door. Not much use to us sitting in stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    As ever with Macgennis there’s a lot of woulds and shoulds in there.
    Mentally I’ve moved on from him, if he does get himself fit it’ll be like another new signing.

I thought he was utter garbage 1st half. I called him a *****bag in a WhatsApp chat and stand by it.

2nd I thought he was much better. He was constantly showing for the ball, often the only one. So often we had to go long because no one was brave enough to come short, Newell was willing to do that and he got us moving a few times, particularly down the right.

The issue for me is he just isn't what we need as he doesn't excel at much. He's not got an amazing range of passing, he's not got a huge engine, he's not quick and he offers zero goal threat. Kenneh does the dirty work well. Joe's neat and tidy style would work ok if he had better in there with him but that isn't an excuse for him. He could do more to be that better, more energetic player.

We need a midfielder and they need to be an energetic sort that is ready to play. That's going to cost a lot of money at this stage though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Well scout them from out with Scotland?
    Thats true. Although you'd be talking millions for a player than does all those things well. Even McGinn didn't most of the time.

If Joe was consistent, he'd be one of the best in the league. Needs to find that again, like he did in 20/21

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Aye, but Wikipedia doesn’t split between league and cup games. Just says one goal in 79 games.

Even assuming it’s wrong and he’s got 4 or 5 goals it’s still an Absolutely hopeless record and we’ve every right to demand more from our centre midfielders. Would be different if he’s a defensive midfielder with no expectation of getting forward but he’s not, he’s got all the ability to drive forward and should do better.
    Wikipedia only lists league games unless you go into his career statistics section.

He’s scored 5 in 108 in total.

No. There are no players in Scotland who do all the things you want him to do. The job of 3 players.
    Callum McGregor has done not bad for himself for Celtic all though last season wasn't his best also David Turnbull ain't done to bad.

We won't be bringing these two players in but I think the guy just wants a few more goals and assists for Joe Newell which to be honest is not to much to ask for.

Wish he would be more consistent but if anyone thinks he played poor today then they are blinkered

Best player today, especially 2nd half. Some folk need to give the guy a break

Left by mutual consent!
    Thats true. Although you'd be talking millions for a player than does all those things well. Even McGinn didn't most of the time.

If Joe was consistent, he'd be one of the best in the league. Needs to find that again, like he did in 20/21
    That’s the key point tho. Newell is not consistent even during games, never mind over a period of games. He’s been here 4 years and never been consistent and likely never to be. We need better.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My view is that Newell has all the physical attributes to be the player that we want him to be, but half the time wanders around in a daze doing the bare minimum.

If he could galvanise himself to be the best version of himself more regularly he would be fine, but he can't.

His set piece delivery is indicative of that, he punts multiple aimless corners straight into the goalie's gloves game after game, all exactly the same.

4 years down the line he isn't going to suddenly improve or find that consistency and we should stop thinking he might.

But..... at this stage he looks a far better bet than Henderson, who looks like a little lost boy, we must hope playing regularly lets him find his feet and get involved, if he doesn't get to grips with it soon, his next move will be a backwards one.

Campbell, like Henderson is still a young boy, but far better able to compete physically and does so well, I just wonder if he has sufficient quality on the ball?

JDH is a neat and tidy footballer but just isn't incisive enough.

Individually they all have their merits, but collectively they are a poor group for a midfield trying to create chances and impose themselves on a game

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Wish he would be more consistent but if anyone thinks he played poor today then they are blinkered

Best player today, especially 2nd half. Some folk need to give the guy a break
    Alternatively I think the idea he was our best player today is miles off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    1st half sheite, 2nd half much much better, just do it more Joe, you have the ability.
    Really??? I thought he was appalling second half.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Can’t even put a good performance together for 90 minutes never mind a few games. And he’s a very good player? Give over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Really??? I thought he was appalling second half.
    i actually think that’s a nonsense statement, he was our best player second half, and i’m not a great fan.