hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Joe Newell.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've seen Tait a number of times this season and I'm struggling to work out why he isn't playing in our midfield every week.
    Agree - looks energetic, dynamic, composed, and great passing ability. Did he not pick up an injury in the recent Development game ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Agree - looks energetic, dynamic, composed, and great passing ability. Did he not pick up an injury in the recent Development game ?
    He didn't appear to be injured when he was substituted in a double substitution midway through the 2nd half. If he was injured it wasn't noticeable, he was carried of or wasn't limping.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I've seen Tait a number of times this season and I'm struggling to work out why he isn't playing in our midfield every week.
    Has there not been comments that he is technically good but has areas of improvement more in relation to when not having the ball. Many of his games have been against much lower level teams. Certainly an interesting player and can remember watching him for Killie v United and he played well. Up to him to keep fit get better athletically and force his way in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Has there not been comments that he is technically good but has areas of improvement more in relation to when not having the ball. Many of his games have been against much lower level teams. Certainly an interesting player and can remember watching him for Killie v United and he played well. Up to him to keep fit get better athletically and force his way in.
    It’s similar to what I’ve said on the Scott Allan thread, but if that’s the case, then that annoys me a bit.

We’ve got a guy who’s good on the ball, can make things happen going forward but because his weaknesses lie defensively he’s not ready to play, yet we persist with playing midfielders who are decent defensively but offer nothing going forward like Newell, JDH etc.

The midfield should be balanced and compliment each other. If that means we’ve got a midfielder who offers a lot going forward but not a lot defensively then we play someone else in the midfield who has the defensive attributes they don’t have and the same goes the other way round with defensive players without attacking attributes.

Instead, we seem to be of the mind that you need to be able to do the defensive side of the game well or you’re not playing. If you can do that, the attacking side of things doesn’t seem to be nearly as much of a concern.

There should be room in our midfield 3 for a ‘passenger’ defensively. We make room for 3 guys regularly who are ‘passengers’ offensively.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 16-08-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    It’s similar to what I’ve said on the Scott Allan thread, but if that’s the case, then that annoys me a bit.

We’ve got a guy who’s good on the ball, can make things happen going forward but because his weaknesses lie defensively he’s not ready to play, yet we persist with playing midfielders who are decent defensively but offer nothing going forward like Newell, JDH etc.

The midfield should be balanced and compliment each other. If that means we’ve got a midfielder who offers a lot going forward but not a lot defensively then we play someone else in the midfield who has the defensive attributes they don’t have and the same goes the other way round with defensive players without attacking attributes.

Instead, we seem to be of the mind that you need to be able to do the defensive side of the game well or you’re not playing. If you can do that, the attacking side of things doesn’t seem to be nearly as much of a concern.

There should be room in our midfield 3 for a ‘passenger’ defensively. We make room for 3 guys regularly who are ‘passengers’ offensively.
    Johnson might (!!) have been excused for having another battler in there by putting Campbell in against Hearts.

It's mainly Henderson who seems to be the most attacking of the 3 midfielders and I'd argue there isn't all that much to the defensive side of his game so if Tait were to come in for anyone then presumably it would be him? Henderson started the season fine but has had a couple of poor games, Johnson might be forgiven for thinking we maybe need a change in there?

In defence of Johnson - we've had midfields in recent years that opposing teams "could waltz right through" so I have a bit of sympathy with the idea that we need at least 2 players in there who can do the defensive side of things to an adequate level (unlike when we used to try to play with both Mallan and Allan in the same midfield).

I'd be surprised if we go that expansive with Rangers up in our next game though.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Good post, one I agree with entirely. Not saying I know a lot about Tait, as I’ve barely seen him, but he looked like he was a bit different from our other midfielders.

I also thought of Scott Allan when I read the comments about Tait not being good enough off the ball. That was never Scott Allan’s strength, but we managed to do OK with him playing alongside SJM and McGeouch, or before that with Liam Craig and Scott Robertson.

I get that Tait is more of a central midfielder I think rather than a Scott Allan type player. Bottom line is Tait needs to earn his place in the squad and team. If it is thought he isn't quite fit enough then the ball is in his court.

Any news on Tait's injury?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    He’s a coward. Misplaced passes, foul, foul, foul. He and his Wallyford bevying buddy Doidge shouldn’t be anywhere near ER never mind on decent contracts.
    They drink in wally club aye? Must live out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    How's he supposed to know you have him on ignore?

Because he just told him lol

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZitellZeTime View Post
    They drink in wally club aye? Must live out this way.
    They both stay in Wallyford and are well known to their neighbours. Some of which are also Hibs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Newell will probably have a good 5 minutes in one of his next few games, and we will see someone post how good he was, ignoring how he's dissapeared in 3 4 5 games previously.

He's pish normally, but is capable of much more.

We need better.
    I don't even comment on his performances anymore, as I mentioned this just before the start of the season about how I was excited some of our new boys are looking good and Cabraja had just got his work permit etc, It was all optimism, then I mentioned pretty much what you said there about his either one good half or one good performance every month or so.

Some guy seemed like he was genuinly offended by it and rates him still to do a job for us.

Im just reading this thread cos the interactions between the two who blocked MW are giving me a good laugh lol.

They both stay in Wallyford and are well known to their neighbours. Some of which are also Hibs fans.
    Ah I didnt know that I grew up and lived in Wimpey until a few years ago, then left that place and now bit further into East Lothian, when I was wee sure it was mostly jambos I remember there, can't remember them Naysmith I think was one, someone else... I also used to work on Jeffries da's hoose now and again/

Was Billy Broon the one that stayed down Mussy or Stoneybank or something it was him or that other one from Jeffries time as manager etc, remember seeing him cycling with his pure red face, used to get pelters from everyone. In good banter like nothing bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I’m still trying to think what guys like delfierre have to do to get a chance in the first team.

Perform well at under age groups ✔️
    Perform well in preseason ✔️

Is it really necessary for everyone to have to go through a 3 stage screening process to become a first team player? Can we not give guys a chance in the first team in competitive matches?
    Delfierre away on loan to Edinburgh, its leagueone but probably the strongest league one there has been in years so hopefully shows the neat and tidy play and compusure etc he showed in what litttle we got to see of him and performs well, not sure if its til Christmas or end of the season. He'll be playing against some decent midfields and big laddies in a different type of football to what hes used to so if he does well he has to get a chance after that.

Mind you we were desperate to sign Tait, Raith only agreed if we loaned him back out until the end of the seaosn or something remember. I heard talk about a loan for him but surely not, he should be getting a chance. Why we go through all the effort to get him of raith to never give him a chance, looks a decent player as well. Only going to improve too.

Get Tait in ,or a dev player ,or a new signing in for Newell.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZitellZeTime View Post
    Delfierre away on loan to Edinburgh, its leagueone but probably the strongest league one there has been in years so hopefully shows the neat and tidy play and compusure etc he showed in what litttle we got to see of him and performs well, not sure if its til Christmas or end of the season. He'll be playing against some decent midfields and big laddies in a different type of football to what hes used to so if he does well he has to get a chance after that.

Mind you we were desperate to sign Tait, Raith only agreed if we loaned him back out until the end of the seaosn or something remember. I heard talk about a loan for him but surely not, he should be getting a chance. Why we go through all the effort to get him of raith to never give him a chance, looks a decent player as well. Only going to improve too.
    You’re right, it is the strongest it’s been for a while. But it’s still 2 levels below the premiership, and against part time teams. He has, imo, shown enough to be getting game time for the first team. That’s kind of my point, it seems to be a standard pathway but how often has it worked? Who was the last player who went on loan, came back to Hibs and is now in the first team? Porteous maybe? Doig was at hearts then came to us, did he go out on loan? I think Bradley made his debut a couple of seasons ago, did well against st Mirren, and has now been farmed out on loan to Dundalk. Unless im mixing him up with someone else.

I get that it’s a pathway to first team football, but it doesn’t have to be the only pathway.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I thought doidge stayed down by newhaven

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    I thought doidge stayed down by newhaven
    So did i

First Team Breakthrough
    Getting nowhere with newell in midfield this season as a starter in the league, by all means keep him around for depth but he needs some proper competition a good ball carrying attacking cm is badly needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk