hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has stopped irresponsible promotions like the £1 Vodka student nights and rock bottom priced , high alcohol, low quality products being sold in corner shops for less than a pint of milk. Alcohol deaths are happening despite minimum pricing not because of it.

This maybe isn’t for the football forum though lol
    The point of the minimum pricing was to reduce problem drinking and alcohol related deaths. If the deaths are happening despite minimum pricing, then what’s the point of it?

There are also experts that think that it has pushed people into using cheap synthetic drugs as a way of getting a fix without spending money on alcohol - leading to more deaths.

This policy has been an unmitigated failure.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    The point of the minimum pricing was to reduce problem drinking and alcohol related deaths. If the deaths are happening despite minimum pricing, then what’s the point of it?

There are also experts that think that it has pushed people into using cheap synthetic drugs as a way of getting a fix without spending money on alcohol - leading to more deaths.

This policy has been an unmitigated failure.
    Maybe the deaths would be higher if there was no minimum pricing?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Although on the other side I was surprised most pubs in London close bang on 11pm. We close at 1am mostly up town
    Yeah, when we were down in London earlier in the year, we were amazed that at 10.30 they were coming round offering you a plastic cup to pour your drink in and leave or otherwise drink up.

So there we there, wandering around Mayfair at 10.45pm drinking out of a plastic pint glass whilst folk were staring at us.

That’s not much of an argument. It was supposed to prevent deaths but has done the opposite and pushed people into taking street drugs.

Alcohol deaths were going down year on year when this policy was introduced, since then its actually gone up! To say this has worked or is a good thing is incoherent.

So there is literally no way that the legislation can ever be revoked if that's the attitude.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths fall = it had worked and should continue.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths hit record levels = it might have been even higher had it not been introduced, let's keep it.

With that kind of thinking there's literally no way to offer a counterargument.

I never know what the deal is with pubs in England.

When in London I always stay around Kings Cross. Of the 2 pubs I frequent regularly one closes at 11 on the dot and the other is open until 4am. The latter has a 'live music room' up the stairs so not sure if that makes a difference.

Newcastle is the same. A lot of pubs are 11 or midnight closing but take a wander and you will find boozers open until far later and clubs essentially all night if that's your thing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    So there is literally no way that the legislation can ever be revoked if that's the attitude.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths fall = it had worked and should continue.

Bring it in and alcohol related deaths hit record levels = it might have been even higher had it not been introduced, let's keep it.

With that kind of thinking there's literally no way to offer a counterargument.
    All the evidence in Scotland and Wales is of a reduction in consumption on introduction, of course that won't stop people triumphantly making claims that its a failure when sad statistics such as alcohol related deaths are released.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    All the evidence in Scotland and Wales is of a reduction in consumption on introduction, of course that won't stop people triumphantly making claims that its a failure when sad statistics such as alcohol related deaths are released.
    But this was to target problem drinkers I believe, and their overall consumption has increased and deaths at a record high.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    But this was to target problem drinkers I believe, and their overall consumption has increased and deaths at a record high.

1,245 people died from conditions caused by alcohol in Scotland in 2021, according to latest figures published by National Records of Scotland.

"The number of deaths is 5% (55) higher than 2020 and is the highest number of deaths since 2008. More detailed analysis shows the rate of mortality from alcohol-specific causes was 22.3 deaths per 100,000 people in 2021. Whilst this is higher than the 21.5 deaths per 100,000 in 2020, it is not a statistically significant increase, and remains below the peak rate of deaths from alcohol in 2006."

@hibs.net private member
    That’s my build up to the Derby started, night out tonight in Glasgow, race night in Ayr tomorrow night and early doors train to Edinburgh on Sunday getting me in at 11am.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I never know what the deal is with pubs in England.

When in London I always stay around Kings Cross. Of the 2 pubs I frequent regularly one closes at 11 on the dot and the other is open until 4am. The latter has a 'live music room' up the stairs so not sure if that makes a difference.

Newcastle is the same. A lot of pubs are 11 or midnight closing but take a wander and you will find boozers open until far later and clubs essentially all night if that's your thing.
    I worked in London for three years. I lived in a hotel on the Kings Cross/Farringdon border. During my time there the licensing laws were relaxed and pubs could more or less open whenever they fancied. I was quite often in my local at 2am or later if there were still a few of us in the boozer. Midnight was the stated closing time but it would stay open if the demand was there and the landlord lived in a flat above the pub in any case.

What time does the Hibs Club open at on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    What time does the Hibs Club open at on Sunday?
    11am.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    11am.
    PS will probably be members only.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    That’s my build up to the Derby started, night out tonight in Glasgow, race night in Ayr tomorrow night and early doors train to Edinburgh on Sunday getting me in at 11am.
    Nice one .

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Minimum pricing has been proven not to work. In fact the latest figures out show Scotland and Irelands deaths due to alcohol at an all time high despite these two nations being the only two in the British isles to have minimum pricing per unit. What It does do is effect low income alcoholics and their families to more hardships. The Scottish Government know this but have chosen to continue with minimum pricing per unit.

Mash Tun NOT opening before the game

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Minimum pricing has been proven not to work. In fact the latest figures out show Scotland and Irelands deaths due to alcohol at an all time high despite these two nations being the only two in the British isles to have minimum pricing per unit. What It does do is effect low income alcoholics and their families to more hardships. The Scottish Government know this but have chosen to continue with minimum pricing per unit.
    Of course it is not the case that deaths (and every one of them matters) are at an all time high. Deaths are at the highest since 2006. The paper published by the Medical Council, in 2019, was certainly very supportive of the policy and published its reasoning behind that. So what changed? It may be worth recognising that alcohol consumption took something of a jump during the period of lockdown in 2020-21, despite minimum pricing. There are always going to be factors that affect the arguments.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Robbie’s open