hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking the knee

If the players have decided on taking a new stance then that's what should happen. Hibs made a decision to stop taking the knee and 'stand against racism' instead last year. It looks like we have gone back to taking a knee this year. Both absolutely fine with me as it's a grown up decision made after a discussion between players. As is this decision in England.

I would argue if these actions become either mandated or just another part of the match day routine then they lose their significance. I'm sure we can all think of things in life that are just so commonplace that we stop noticing them in any meaningful way. Taking the knee has arguably hit that point, it's become like the pre match handshake or the coin toss, it's just 'something' that happens. Restricting it's usage to 5 or 6 games a season arguably brings back that impact and allows it to be delivered with a stronger accompanying message.

Ultimately it's up to the players as both a collective and as individuals what they want to do. This doesn't seem to be a decision they have taken lightly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks - I will file your suggestions in my big folder called 'go ****** off'.

Have a nice day!

This response is both predictable and pathetic.

You must be so proud of yourself!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This response is both predictable and pathetic.

You must be so proud of yourself!
    I was

I was

Sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Can you give me some examples of racism displayed at football grounds North of the Border? I’m aware that it exists in society as witnessed by the SDL backlash against the BLM rallies in 2020.

I know a few Rangers lads who are active in anti racist movements in Glasgow and at a UK level with Football Lads and Lassies Against Fascism. Rangers supporters are also solidly behind the Show Racism The Red Card campaign.

We can easily beat them with a stick for a lack of progress on Sectarianism but I’m in solidarity with their activism against racism. They have all but stamped it out within their club.
    Off the top of my head Regan Charles Cooke, Marvin Bartley, and Rice Quitongo jave all experienced it in recent years.

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry to hear that.
    I accept your sorrows - I will feast on your tears.

Anyway, this thread is going to be closed down by admins at this rate....

I accept your sorrows - I will feast on your tears.

Anyway, this thread is going to be closed down by admins at this rate....

150 years ago our club was formed in response to discrimination and racism. Presumably you dismiss that as virtue signalling as well?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    More virtue please.
    The term "virtue signalling" really winds me up. By being members of this board we are signalling our virtue as Hibs supporters.

Everyone signals virtue in some ways. But people use the term to try and justify their reason for not liking something quite reasonable and fair in modern society

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Leave it to the playing staff. They should decide as a group what they want to do. But lets not kid on that having more ethnic players in the league will make it less of an issue. Its a much bigger issue in England which as a country is far more multi cultural than Scotland ever well be.

Btw I also will never understand why white guys watching football have such an issue with it.
    I think we know why they have an issue with it!

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    The term "virtue signalling" really winds me up. By being members of this board we are signalling our virtue as Hibs supporters.

Everyone signals virtue in some ways. But people use the term to try and justify their reason for not liking something quite reasonable and fair in modern society

It’s simply a way of dismissing someone else’s opinion and telling them to shut up.

Ironically, it’s used by people who claim to be concerned about free speech and ‘cancel culture’. Turns out the only free speech they support is opinions they agree with.

@hibs.net private member
    It’s simply a way of dismissing someone else’s opinion and telling them to shut up.

Ironically, it’s used by people who claim to be concerned about free speech and ‘cancel culture’. Turns out the only free speech they support is opinions they agree with.
    The real irony is that you appear to have a very myopic view of society - a social sheep happily being told how you should think and live. When to be happy, when to be sad, when to bang a kettle outside a window, when to wear a blue and white emblem. What is right, what is wrong. To be seen doing it - get it on Facebook, get it on Instagram, Tweet it - get your likes, feel good in yourself and the whole world is a happy place as you get to live another day free in one's privileged life. BULL***T!

People like you have been so brainwashed, that you attack anybody slightly different. (Do you see the irony yet?) You don't understand that there are some people out there who have evolved their own thoughts on life, instead of being spoon fed by the media/sport/social media.

Now you'll come out with some nonsense about me being racist and supporting racism, but this ain't anything to do with that. It is the right to be able to express views different to what is being peddled as the new normal.

The real irony is that you appear to have a very myopic view of society - a social sheep happily being told how you should think and live. When to be happy, when to be sad, when to bang a kettle outside a window, when to wear a blue and white emblem. What is right, what is wrong. To be seen doing it - get it on Facebook, get it on Instagram, Tweet it - get your likes, feel good in yourself and the whole world is a happy place as you get to live another day free in one's privileged life. BULL***T!

People like you have been so brainwashed, that you attack anybody slightly different. (Do you see the irony yet?) You don't understand that there are some people out there who have evolved their own thoughts on life, instead of being spoon fed by the media/sport/social media.

Now you'll come out with some nonsense about me being racist and supporting racism, but this ain't anything to do with that. It is the right to be able to express views different to what is being peddled as the new normal.
    Wow, there's a lot going on there.

So what is your different view?

What a lot of nonsense. Reads as if you've copied and pasted it to be honest.

Spoon fed by the media.... did you come up with the term "virtue signalling" all on your own? The "new normal"

Wow what a free thinker you are.

There's going to be a post about the earth being flat and covid vaccines being part of a Bill Gates plan for world domination soon isn't there?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    There's going to be a post about the earth being flat and covid vaccines being part of a Bill Gates plan for world domination soon isn't there?
    Jet fuel can’t melt iron.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    What a lot of nonsense. Reads as if you've copied and pasted it to be honest.
    I think I'll take that as a compliment - think I'll apply to become editor of the Daily Mail

Spoon fed by the media.... did you come up with the term "virtue signalling" all on your own? The "new normal"
    I didn't come up with that phrase, but I do think it is quite a good one. Some people don't - fairy enuff, that is life.

Wow what a free thinker you are.
    I never said I was. I have flaws. However, I recognise that people have different views, and I respect those views instead of slamming them down.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Jet fuel can’t melt iron.
    But Nano-thermite can!

Oh wait....I'll get my coat....

Couldn’t agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Couldn’t agree more.
    Well we could have put money on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Well we could have put money on that.
    Wheeeeey!

@hibs.net private member

Great comment. Totally agree.

Wait… so you want the right to express your view, yet dismiss footballers expressing their views as virtue signalling?

‘People like you…’ etc… What a lot of utter drivel.

Wait… so you want the right to express your view, yet dismiss footballers expressing their views as virtue signalling?

‘People like you…’ etc… What a lot of utter drivel.
    👏👏 💯

However, I recognise that people have different views, and I respect those views instead of slamming them down.

So you demonstrate this respect by having no respect for footballers taking the knee?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

I don’t agree.

We’ve seen it on this thread already. It’s not about dismissing someone’s opinion, it’s about the people that feel the need to ram it down our throats about how anti racist or whatever they claim to be.

Most of us aren’t racist at all and just get on with our lives. We don’t feel the need to tell the world that we aren’t racist at every opportunity. That’s the virtue signalling part.

I don’t need a random poster on here to tell me racism is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I don’t agree.

We’ve seen it on this thread already. It’s not about dismissing someone’s opinion, it’s about the people that feel the need to ram it down our throats about how anti racist or whatever they claim to be.

Most of us aren’t racist at all and just get on with our lives. We don’t feel the need to tell the world that we aren’t racist at every opportunity. That’s the virtue signalling part.

Well that's a new angle on it!

What constitutes ramming? Because that makes it sounfd like a line has been crossed. Where is the line between a gesture of solidarity or an act of silent peaceful protest becomes ramming imo?

There's a reasonable argument to be made that doing nothing and getting on with your lives makes you part of the problem.

I don’t agree.

You’ve misunderstood the purpose of it the whole initiative then. Taking the knee is and was always about telling the wider world that more still needs to be done to get rid of racism.

If you really think that 22 players taking the knee for 30 seconds before kick off is ‘ramming it down your throat’ then I feel for you… the world must be a very scary place for someone of your very delicate disposition.

What happens if a stranger asks you to sign a petition, or maybe knocks on your door asking you to support a cause? Do you faint?

I don’t agree.

Why is being actively anti racist virtue signalling?

If people are content to say 'I'm not racist' and go about their lives then fine. Why should someone be belittled, accused of being brainwashed or whatever else for wanting to do a bit more to raise awareness of and actively protest against an issue that is still prevalent in our society?

If people feel uncomfortable or worse if they are genuinely angered by a visible anti racism then that poses a whole load of questions imo.

I thought the virtue signalling charge arose because football plans to keep taking the knee at internationals in front of a larger audience but binning it at league games. Do it all the time or not at all.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You’ve misunderstood the purpose of it the whole initiative then. Taking the knee is and was always about telling the wider world that more still needs to be done to get rid of racism.

If you really think that 22 players taking the knee for 30 seconds before kick off is ‘ramming it down your throat’ then I feel for you… the world must be a very scary place for someone of your very delicate disposition.

What happens if a stranger asks you to sign a petition, or maybe knocks on your door asking you to support a cause? Do you faint?
    Ok I'm not talking about taking the knee here, I was responding to your point about virtue signalling in general.

I'm happy to accept that you aren't racist. I'd hope you can extend me the same courtesy.

This next bit is not directed at you..

Virtue signalling, in my mind, is when people try to put their views on to me at every opportunity.( i've watered this down a bit this from ramming down throats to try and avoid causing offence!).

Putting a poster in your bedroom window saying Black Lives Matter for example. This serves zero purpose other than to show people how good you think you are. It does nothing to raise awareness of anything. Hence, virtue signalling.

Going by another poster's response, anyone who doesn't have a Black Lives Matter poster in their window is part of the problem!! I don't, and will never, accept that line of thought.

I'm not a sensitive, woke, snowflake so I rarely take offence at anything. I've never once come close to saying people taking the knee offends me. No idea where you got that from?