hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the knee

Taking the knee

Due to be reduced in England. Only done at significant games/times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62404611

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only done at significant games/times.
    So purely virtue signalling for when a lot of people are watching a top 4 game on TV.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie_Hibs View Post
    So purely virtue signalling for when a lot of people are watching a top 4 game on TV.
    Or those with the biggest audiences to ensure maximum effect?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Or those with the biggest audiences to ensure maximum effect?
    Does sitting on your knee for 10 seconds cost so much money that they have to ration it only for big occasions?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Thought folk stopped doing this yonks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    We done it on Saturday.

Outright racism at fitba has all but disappeared since the welcome demise of the rat Yaxley-Lennon and his kiddie fiddling EDL/SDL supporters.

Even SEVCO who used to have a link to the Far Right have been supporting their black players by speaking out publicly, banning supporters and even a whole bus guilty of abuse and by supporting Show Racism the Red Card. The backlash against the English players was also resounding from all sections of society.

So whilst racism still exists in society, happily for now at least, it seems less prominent in the game of football, does it not?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Does sitting on your knee for 10 seconds cost so much money that they have to ration it only for big occasions?
    Is it a money thing?

For me, it's more of an effect thing. Do it all the time and people stop noticing it. Do it now and again, with a big audience, and they do notice it..

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    You are either late going into games or it has lost its impact on you. Happens at near enough every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    You are either late going into games or it has lost its impact on you. Happens at near enough every game.
    For about a second now.

Blink and you'll miss it.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    with the number of black players now in the Scottish game, I can only see the small amount of "blatant" racism that still exists diminishing. I'm not going to do some sort of poor taste head count, but I'm pretty sure there are more black players at Hibs and in the SPL in general than ever before. Most, if not all, teams will have black players on the park and therefore it normalises what was once an unusual sight. We've come a long way since Kevin Harper made his debut for Hibs in 1992 age 17

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    with the number of black players now in the Scottish game, I can only see the small amount of "blatant" racism that still exists diminishing. I'm not going to do some sort of poor taste head count, but I'm pretty sure there are more black players at Hibs and in the SPL in general than ever before. Most, if not all, teams will have black players on the park and therefore it normalises what was once an unusual sight. We've come a long way since Kevin Harper made his debut for Hibs in 1992 age 17
    “More black players will diminish racism” “unusual can only assume this is a bad parody post …the 50M and growing strong black Population in the USA will be delighted it’s increase has helped reduce racism there …

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    “More black players will diminish racism” “unusual can only assume this is a bad parody post …the 50M and growing strong black Population in the USA will be delighted it’s increase has helped reduce racism there …
    I get your point but I think the growing diversity in Scottish football may help reduce racism within our football. Most teams at the top end of Scottish Football have a mix of players from all over the world and that has probably stopped the abuse of players due to skin colour as you would be essentially abusing your own players too.

@hibs.net private member

Taking the knee

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I get your point but I think the growing diversity in Scottish football may help reduce racism within our football. Most teams at the top end of Scottish Football have a mix of players from all over the world and that has probably stopped the abuse of players due to skin colour as you would be essentially abusing your own players too.
    I’d love if that were true, but has racism reduced in the UK in recent years as the population diversifies?? I’d say extreme views have perhaps never been more evident . There are social and political effects at play that are driving division across the UK and beyond . we’ve had a number of black players at Hibs and it hasn’t stopped racist instances on occasion in recent times.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 03-08-2022 at 06:59 PM.

I’ve got no problem with it, and to suggest rationing of a political gesture is farcical.

Would also love to see players take more of a proactive role against homophobia. Already some initiatives in place, but the fact that so few players have felt comfortable coming out is not great

As opposed to virtue signalling every game.

Is it a money thing?

For me, it's more of an effect thing. Do it all the time and people stop noticing it. Do it now and again, with a big audience, and they do notice it..
    Correct.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Is it a money thing?

It lost its meaning the minute it was an agreed upon and whistle controlled part of football for me, I totally agree with the message that’s being attempted to put across with it, but the original taking the knee was done at a time where it made an effect on a whole nation grabbed headlines I think it was then hugely diluted by how football carried it good intentions or not.

All my opinion of course I have seen any black players criticise it up here so maybe I’m way off the mark

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Outright racism at fitba has all but disappeared since the welcome demise of the rat Yaxley-Lennon and his kiddie fiddling EDL/SDL supporters.

Even SEVCO who used to have a link to the Far Right have been supporting their black players by speaking out publicly, banning supporters and even a whole bus guilty of abuse and by supporting Show Racism the Red Card. The backlash against the English players was also resounding from all sections of society.

So whilst racism still exists in society, happily for now at least, it seems less prominent in the game of football, does it not?
    Wow remember a lot of the England fans booing during the Euros when the knee was taken last year? Certainly worth taken in internationals with so many countries still having large racist elements in their support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    As opposed to virtue signalling every game.
    More virtue please.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Wow remember a lot of the England fans booing during the Euros when the knee was taken last year? Certainly worth taken in internationals with so many countries still having large racist elements in their support.
    I remember very well. I wouldn’t say the element was large but it was noisy. I’ve no doubt that there are some English nationalists that hold racist views.

I don’t think we would ever witness that behaviour in this country.

I remember very well. I wouldn’t say the element was large but it was noisy. I’ve no doubt that there are some English nationalists that hold racist views.

Sadly racism is quite prevalent in this country, but the scale of it is totally overshadowed by the level of sectarianism, especially at football games.

The hypocrisy of clubs like The Rangers condemning racism (after an unacceptable slur on one of their players)... well, to use one of their own phrases, "beggars belief"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes

May I present to you The Rangers

Leave it to the playing staff. They should decide as a group what they want to do. But lets not kid on that having more ethnic players in the league will make it less of an issue. Its a much bigger issue in England which as a country is far more multi cultural than Scotland ever well be.

Btw I also will never understand why white guys watching football have such an issue with it.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    No it wasn't a bad parody post, and to suggest it was is both aggressive, counter productive and slanderous. I didn't for one second suggest that racism doesn't still exist. And using quotes marks to suggest I said something specific that I didn't is also very poor form.

I was talking about "blatant" racism within football grounds, where black players receive concerted racist abuse both verbally and via thrown objects etc. In my experience that has pretty much stopped now in Scotland. It's certainly nothing like the level it was 20 years ago. That is a good thing, I believe the fact that almost every top flight club have cult heroes and club legends who are black will have had an positive impact on the slow but obvious progress that has been made in reducing racism in our Scottish football culture.

Note the word "reducing" not "removing".

To suggest that by pointing this out I was suggesting it had any bearing on race politics in America is both antagonistic and quite simply stupid.

By suggesting my post was a "bad parody" you are suggesting I am racist. Any further hint of that and I will report you to admins for abuse.

feel free to apologise
    Last edited by worcesterhibby; 04-08-2022 at 09:13 AM.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Pathetic comment.

If you are more offended by people taking the knee briefly than you are about racist abuse then I suggest you reconsider your priorities.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I’d love if that were true, but has racism reduced in the UK in recent years as the population diversifies?? I’d say extreme views have perhaps never been more evident . There are social and political effects at play that are driving division across the UK and beyond . we’ve had a number of black players at Hibs and it hasn’t stopped racist instances on occasion in recent times.

The Brexit vote saw a noticeable and sustained increase in overt racism. That is a matter of fact.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Pathetic comment.

If you are more offended by people taking the knee briefly than you are about racist abuse then I suggest you reconsider your priorities.
    Thanks - I will file your suggestions in my big folder called 'go ****** off'.

Have a nice day!

Thanks - I will file your suggestions in my big folder called 'go ****** off'.

Have a nice day!
    I understood your post and tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Sadly racism is quite prevalent in this country, but the scale of it is totally overshadowed by the level of sectarianism, especially at football games.

The hypocrisy of clubs like The Rangers condemning racism (after an unacceptable slur on one of their players)... well, to use one of their own phrases, "beggars belief"
    Can you give me some examples of racism displayed at football grounds North of the Border? I’m aware that it exists in society as witnessed by the SDL backlash against the BLM rallies in 2020.

I know a few Rangers lads who are active in anti racist movements in Glasgow and at a UK level with Football Lads and Lassies Against Fascism. Rangers supporters are also solidly behind the Show Racism The Red Card campaign.

We can easily beat them with a stick for a lack of progress on Sectarianism but I’m in solidarity with their activism against racism. They have all but stamped it out within their club.
    Last edited by RIP; 04-08-2022 at 09:14 AM.