hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    I was in the Foundry just as the Rangers game kicked off. Hibs fans singing that song for around 10-15 minutes. I was supposed to be meeting my Saints supporting mate there, but drank up and met him elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

A ban from Easter Road would be a start but unfortunately you would still end up with videos like these in pubs etc

I'm sure there will be a few mercer song videos come Sunday evening all over social media.

How would these guys feel if they seen a video of a group of drunken people singing songs about dead family members.

No way am I defending this incident but I didn't see much in the news with the rangers fan giving it the nazi salute many times vs west ham.

Actually I would go a bit further . If I still lived in Scotland.
    I would find out who they are, go round to their house or local pub kick the 5hit out of them and tell them why. Or get a mob together that will kick the 5hit out of them in the stadium.
    hertz fans used to batter their own casuals until they got the hint and basically gave up, its about time we did the same.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would find out who they are, go round to their house or local pub kick the 5hit out of them and tell them why. Or get a mob together that will kick the 5hit out of them in the stadium.
    hertz fans used to batter their own casuals until they got the hint and basically gave up, its about time we did the same.
    So let’s get this right you’re advocating dealing with disgraceful
    behaviour by getting a mob together and attacking the perpetrators! Deary me,I wonder sometimes.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 03-08-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Is this the Lenny lot who bring a tricolour to Tynecastle and are hell bent on bringing their own wee bit of sectarianism to Easter Road?

If so, never a better opportunity to ban them for life. Get it done.

What a pile of utter made up nonsense from you.👎

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4185 View Post
    Utterly disgusting and I’m sure Ron Gordon will look to clamp down on this kind of thing .

However whilst not condoning it, I find it just as distasteful that a national newspaper takes 1 video of 20 mindless yobs and uses it to try and tarnish the club. Especially given what goes on with rangers and Celtic fans every weekend and the no doubt thousands of videos that accompany their nonsense.

1 rule for us and 1 rule for them
    Yep. 20 yobs in a pub and our clubs name gets dragged through the gutter. 40k+ fans in Ibrox sing their songs and not a peep from the Sun.

Hope those in the video are identified and banned from attending games.

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Do you do that where you live now?

Society contains people like that, and people like us. Hopefully, most are like us.

This is not going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Society contains people like that, and people like us. Hopefully, most are like us.

This is not going to change.
    Are you suggesting nobody on here condoning the singing hasn’t sang any rude song at games before.

Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    Embarrassingly sad and disappointing, probably a reflection of an element of the youth of today. Unfortunately there's an element of this amongst the support of most clubs . Hopefully the media will continue to expose this type of behaviour no mater who the fans support .

Where has that got us? Only more whataboutery and deflecting. I preferred when I didn't have the Sun telling me what Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts or any other set of fans were singing in a pub because people are grassing them up. The idiots singing it post it for attention and guess what, they get it. What happens next? Surprisingly people keep on doing it anyway.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Is this the Lenny lot who bring a tricolour to Tynecastle and are hell bent on bringing their own wee bit of sectarianism to Easter Road?

Seen these folk commenting nonsense on Hibs Facebook posts, referring to themselves as "bhoys", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    Are you suggesting nobody on here condoning the singing hasn’t sang any rude song at games before.
    How do you mean?

Not a great watch. Songs celebrating the death of people are poor and I include the Mercer song.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    THis kind of crap isn't just a social media generation thing either. I remember hearing Hibs fans singing a horrendous ditty about Darren Jackson and testicular cancer, more than 20 years ago.

There's always a moron element in every support. Thick as mince

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Whataboutery isn't the answer here. We can only act on what Hibs fans do and there is evidence that self policing among our fanbase works. Certainly songs that were once heard far more frequently fairly recently have been quietly dropped. Thinking back further there are songs that were once terrace classics that never hear the light of day now, maybe in small groups away from the ground but never en masse.

I do understand the frustrations though. Not so much with The Sun. They are gutter press and this kind of thing is easy pickings for them. My issue is with Nil By Mouth raising their head above the parapet, that's purely because it's 'only Hibs' and we are an easy target to make a point and push the NBM agenda. An organisation wholly unfit for purpose that is scared of Rangers as both a fanbase and and entity so attempts to create a narrative of equilibrium where it doesn't exist.

Secondly has talking at rather than to young guys ever worked? 'You are not real Hibs fans' doesn't seem the best way to make the point to them imo. It's daft young lads trying to push boundaries, shock and appear edgy. Most will grow out of it fairly quickly and the ones who don't will end up in real bother soon enough. It's not a new thing, much like moaning about players, social media has just given it a wider audience. How many people of an older vintage would have been filmed singing something broadly similar about Wallace Mercer dying of cancer or about Rudi Skacel had smartphones been more widespread in 2006? Guilty m'lud, certainly with regards the former.

It's not a good look for us as a club and it's something that has to be addressed. I'm genuinely not sure how you go about that. A few bans may be forthcoming if the perpetrators can be identified but that doesn't really sort the long term problem.
    Good post

We've always had an element of fans and they were/are Hibs fans whether we like it or not, whose match-day experience has always been to look for confrontation and make a nuisance of themselves.

I'm sure if the internet had been around in the 60s and 70s there would have been countless threads about the mass battles with "them" and the OF on the Easter Road terraces and the gang fights that sometimes occurred outside the ground between Hibs gangs from different areas. Likewise, if fan forums and smartphones had been around when the casuals first came on the scene in the 80s. The fact is a lot of these 60s, 70s and 80s bams and total nuisances are now elderly to middle-aged totally respectable supporters.

When the tifiso style culture came in maybe 10 years ago or earlier with our "Since 1875" group and others of a similar vein elsewhere I thought how good it was that the youngsters had found a way to channel their exuberance without it involving violence or offensive behaviour. However, it seems that an element of the latest Hibs youths have decided to revert to the behaviour of their 60s, 70s, and 80s predecessors.

What's different from those eras is that it has never been easier to identify and deal with our troublemaker element. Ron Gordon and his regime like to tell us all they're doing to improve the match-day experience. One of the best ways to improve that would be to ban the wee morons bringing our name into disrepute.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    How do you mean?
    What did you mean about “people like us”

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Yeah but on the video you can see the Livi players celebrating their goal on the tv. So presumed it was at about 12:05. Could have been the highlights in the post game analysis though.

Anyway, other posters have confirmed it was Hibs fans so fair enough.
    I’ve been in boozers in Perth before noon in the past when our game has kicked off at 3. Not sure what your point is.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Plastic fans who take an irish flag to Tynecastle or Ibrox. Most definitely those singing about Cummings.

Not interested in the football more drugs and buckfast. Stain on our support.
    Who'd have thunk it eh? Hibernian (aka Irish) fans taking an Ireland national flag to a Hibs game.

I was with a good friend at Hampden in May 2016 v the Rangers and he flew a very large Irish tricolour at the game. He's a big Hibs fan and is born and bred in Dublin. There are many of his countrymen follow Hibs avidly at great expense and 'plastic' they certainly are not.

It can be offensive to make generalisms and not sure what your point has got to do with a handful of morons spouting p1sh in a pub.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 03-08-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Who'd have thunk it eh? Hibernian (aka Irish) fans taking an Ireland national flag to a Hibs game.

I was with a good friend at Hampden in May 2016 v the Rangers and he flew a very large Irish tricolour at the game. He's a big Hibs fan and is born and bred in Dublin. There are many of his countrymen follow Hibs avidly at great expense and 'plastic' they certainly are not.

It can be offensive to make generalisms and not not sure what your point has got to do with a handful of morons spouting p1sh in a pub.
    And also Buckfast is lovely.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    And also Buckfast is lovely.
    Never tasted the stuff. Sounds like p1shwater

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    What did you mean about “people like us”
    I think he means that there are 2 kinds of people in this world, reasonable people and unreasonable people. Reasonable people don't tend to get tanked up on coke and buckfast and chant about dead people in public places. Unreasonable people do.
    They are young and may grow out of it, and also they may not behave like that in other situations. There does however come a time in your life when you make a choice, am I going to continue embracing fannydom or should I find new mates and join the reasonable people?
    As the guy rightly said there are more of us than them. Also we have more in common with decent fans of any rival club, than we have with these wee idiots
    Last edited by heid the baw; 03-08-2022 at 06:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member

It can be offensive to make generalisms and not sure what your point has got to do with a handful of morons spouting p1sh in a pub.
    I'm sure the comment isn't about people coming from Ireland. It's the ones who don't bring tricolours to cat b matches but bring them out just to antagonise, they also more worrying sing sectarian pish not needed at Easter Road. Our badge has everything we want on it, they should wave that

Never tasted the stuff. Sounds like p1shwater

Liquid sugar, I bought a half bottle a few years back when a mate and his wife were up from Liverpool. Thought I'd treat them to a Scottish night of neeps and tatties, some Bucky and a nice glass of whisky, the Bucky was left after one sip, just sugary thick liquid, horrible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post

Without wishing to start yet another debate on Hibs 'Irishness', do you think tricolours at Tynie started with Lennon? I honestly can't recall hearing any sectarian stuff at ER recently, but certainly rebel songs and chants have been around since the 60s and I'd suggest are much less prevalent now than they were years ago.

As for banning for life young Hibs fans, who are dafties with a lot of growing up to do - many of us might wish to remember our own teenage antics before calling for such severe measures.

FWIW, I've never liked the Mercer stuff, despite hating the man at the time, and trust anything to do with Goram or Smith gets shouted down if it's heard again at any Hibs game.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    There are threads in the Holy Ground with posts celebrating the anniversary of Thatcher's death. Full of glee and laughter and talk of having parties. Grown men.

How is it worse when some young lads sing about dead football players?

What's the rules when it comes to whether Hibs fans should sing about dead people? Who gets to decide what's acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    There are threads in the Holy Ground with posts celebrating the anniversary of Thatcher's death. Full of glee and laughter and talk of having parties. Grown men.

What's the rules when it comes to whether Hibs fans should sing about dead people? Who gets to decide what's acceptable?
    I'm personally not a fan of singing songs which mock the death of anyone but as a basic starting point I'd suggest that songs which mock the death of an ex-Hibs player should be top of the unacceptable list.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

None of that is acceptable ….surely you know that as a “grown man” - You’re OK with those songs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Are we sure these were Hibs fans? The record and the sun don’t say that and you can bet your bottom dollar they would if they had any proof.

More likely a bunch of Celtic supporters based in Perth getting tanked up. Can’t see hibs fans being in Perth for a 12pm kick off on the tv, when our game wasn’t till 3.
    That was my thinking when I asked if it said they were Hibs fans.

Hibs fans or not, what is wrong with some people.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    None of that is acceptable ….surely you know that as a “grown man” - You’re OK with those songs ?
    I'm ok with the mercer song.