hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2023

Ashes 2023

Bazball's irresistible force meets Smith & Labuschagne's immovable objects.

This should be one that lives up to the hype. I have a sneaky feeling the Aussies will edge it due to the aforementioned duo and an attack England will have trouble whacking around the ground.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bazball's irresistible force meets Smith & Labuschagne's immovable objects.

This should be one that lives up to the hype. I have a sneaky feeling the Aussies will edge it due to the aforementioned duo and an attack England will have trouble whacking around the ground.
    I LOVE the Ashes

I will offer up an analysis of both sides later. I do look forward to calling it absolutely wrong every couple of years!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

So, tomorrow sees the first ball of the 2023 Ashes (thunderstorms and that permitting ).

It's Edgbaston tomorrow, which will be a raucous venueas usual, especially come the session after tea. Instinctivelyit feels like a venue that favours the home side, but it is hoours even this century with two wins each and one draw.

The Aussies havent announed an I yet and there is only likely to be one question of who drops out as we have four fasts competing for three places. Cummins plays, thats a given. That leaves three and Im genuinely not sure which way it will go. If HAzlewood is fit I would be tempted to bring him back and play Boland, but there is a dilemna in that you dont want to bring Hazlewood back too eerly.

Starc is unlikely to be fit for all five Tests, my temptation would potentially be to play him tomorrow along with Boland and give Hazlewood a little extra time but it is really tough to call.

England have named their side and similarly to Australia, most of it rights itself. The first seven are stick-ons, it's the bowling where the debate is. England wanted flat and fast pitches this summer (which suits the Aussies too).

Given the recent weather and the fact they have back-up in Joe Root's off-spin and whatever Stokes is fit to offer, I think I would have been minded to go for four quicks - Anderson, Broad, Robinson and Wood. Instead they have decided to go with a spinner. Thats fair enough but they have taken a risk-averse approach they have not pursued with their batsmen. Moeen plays, because he is experienced. Despite not having played red ball cricket for nearly two years and having a poorish record against Australia. There are a couple of young spinners but England are reluctant to blood them.

The other issue with picking Moeen is obviously you lose a seamer. England have to play risk-averse again, because they have question-marks over the fitness of Robinson, Anderson and Stokes. This means they are going for Broad and dropping Wood, but Wood is the only genuine out-and-out fast bowler from those in contention. And they have asked for fast-friendly pitches!

Its a close one to call, with a strong chance of showers on day three and lesser so on day five. I'm minded to call it a draw with the caveat that if the Aussies bat first and bat big (or bowl first and skittle quickky), they will get a win. England, I think, will struggle to bowl out the Australians twice to secure a victory.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I think the risk aversion in choosing Moeen is as much to do with his batting as bowling. He makes the tail that bit shorter. I feel a bit sorry for Ben Foakes, I'd have brought Bairstow in for Crawley and kept a proper keeper, although who opens with Duckett would be an interesting question in that circumstance. I think Broad/Anderson/Robinson over Wood are easy choices just due to the conditions. They're all perfect for seaming English wickets. Stokes' fitness is a big worry though. Will B/A/R manage to carry the load of a long Smith/Labuschagne inspired Aussie innings if there's nothing doing for Moeen?

Fascinating stuff.

Stokes face was a picture after Crawley dispatched the first ball of the day to the boundary.

22-1, Duckett gone.

I think the risk aversion in choosing Moeen is as much to do with his batting as bowling. He makes the tail that bit shorter. I feel a bit sorry for Ben Foakes, I'd have brought Bairstow in for Crawley and kept a proper keeper, although who opens with Duckett would be an interesting question in that circumstance. I think Broad/Anderson/Robinson over Wood are easy choices just due to the conditions. They're all perfect for seaming English wickets. Stokes' fitness is a big worry though. Will B/A/R manage to carry the load of a long Smith/Labuschagne inspired Aussie innings if there's nothing doing for Moeen?

Fascinating stuff.
    Foakes I do feel very sorry for. He should have been playing long before he finally got a run. If Bairstow needs to play but isn't keeping I would have given him a shot at the top of the order - I think I suggested that on here and maybe on the Guardian BTL about four years ago. Probably would have been a dsaster but it would have spelled some justice for poor Ben Foakes
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 16-06-2023 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    22-1, Duckett gone.
    Poor, poor attempt at a shot, wafting away at a ball that was drifting inexorably to the slips without any batsman intervention.

Decent enough start though. Ashes first balls have an almost mythological significance and to hit a boundary is a real fillip for the support. In fact, it was fours, first ball, off both opening bowlers. I think England may have cloned Michael Slater c.mid-nineties

Crawley comfortable and confident (so wtfdik? ) 35 no. England 66/1 after the first hour.

Aussies playing a containing game. TMS surprised.

Bowled Gaaaazza

Fantastic timing and a wicket right before lunch for Boland. The session had been England's, you can't quite call it Australia's now but it's far more even. England keeping the run rate up though, it must have been over four and a half an over there.

Good session and I'm looking forward to seeing Harry Brook at the crease.

Seen it all now, comical dismissal for Brook. 😯

Stokes fails - England in trouble. 176/5

YJB and Root - nae pressure lads.

I remember years ago listening to Geoff Boycott on TMS, saying that when you evaluate a score, in play, add two wickets and see if it still looks okay because you can lose two wickets in an instant, and in cricket it seems to happen all too regularly.

About the only sensible thing I've ever heard Boycott say. 175-3 and 176-5 are very different places to be. One more wicket and the Aussies are into the tail and suddenly there's a whole heap of attention on Moeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I remember years ago listening to Geoff Boycott on TMS, saying that when you evaluate a score, in play, add two wickets and see if it still looks okay because you can lose two wickets in an instant, and in cricket it seems to happen all too regularly.

About the only sensible thing I've ever heard Boycott say. 175-3 and 176-5 are very different places to be. One more wicket and the Aussies are into the tail and suddenly there's a whole heap of attention on Moeen.
    And, to be fair, would be about an hour and a half apart with Geoffrey batting.

59th Test match half century for Root, great player.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Possibly longer

Bairstow joining the party now too, Aussie's looking a bit tired.

100 partnership - well played Yorkshire. 282/5

Another 20 overs with this ball. Jonny to cut loose?

Bairstow gone for 78.

Bowled Gazza.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Possibly longer

I'm loving this first day, England have been batting well, some excellent singles to keep that fun fate ticking over but it is still too early to say whether it's been their day. Let's see how the tail goes.

Bairstow gone for 78.
    I should've shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I'm loving this first day, England have been batting well, some excellent singles to keep that fun fate ticking over but it is still too early to say whether it's been their day. Let's see how the tail goes.
    I think the Aussies will be the happier if the pitch is as flat as the pundits reckon.

Niiiice Gazza!

Mo on his way, very poor shot selection.

Mo on his way, very poor shot selection.
    He averages 25 with the bat and 65 a wicket against Australia.

He's got a lot to prove in this series.

Will Root get his ton? 🤔

Will Root get his ton? 🤔
    30th century for Root, the man is a robot! 😊