hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Yes, let's pick on Lee Johnson, as we did on Shaun Maloney and Jack Ross before.

Do people honestly believe that Lee Johnson is happy with the situation at Hibernian? He may toe the party line and say he's happy with the squad etc. But do we honestly believe he sat in a six-hour interview explaining his desire to manage with players plucked from various B-teams around the world.

The problem at Hibernian FC for the past few seasons has been that our player recruitment has been poor. We had a good platform with the team that came third, though I think we all acknowledged that it needed enhanced and developed. We are now in a considerably worse position than this time last season. That's not Lee Johnson's fault.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, let's pick on Lee Johnson, as we did on Shaun Maloney and Jack Ross before.

Do people honestly believe that Lee Johnson is happy with the situation at Hibernian? He may toe the party line and say he's happy with the squad etc. But do we honestly believe he sat in a six-hour interview explaining his desire to manage with players plucked from various B-teams around the world.

The problem at Hibernian FC for the past few seasons has been that our player recruitment has been poor. We had a good platform with the team that came third, though I think we all acknowledged that it needed enhanced and developed. We are now in a considerably worse position than this time last season. That's not Lee Johnson's fault.
    Hasn’t Lee said that he gets to choose the players we sign ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Hasn’t Lee said that he gets to choose the players we sign ?
    Yep, and he’s also IMO been afforded a much better starting point than our previous 3 managers. In so much as he’s had an entire close season to work with and not been dropped into a firefight.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    He needs more than 7 games ffs!
    Can't just keep sacking managers

Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    Really can’t see Tavares turning anything round, hopefully the others will be an improvement from what we had on the pitch last night.
    After 45 minutes you have written Tavares off?
    I was raging last night but I hate this forum 100 times more.

@hibs.net private member h185forever's Avatar
    LJ must recognise by now that he’s under pressure already. If he doesn’t……….

I’d like to think he has sussed out which players can and can’t adapt to what he wants.

I know the squad has limitations thru injuries and work permits at present but there are too many players who either can’t or won’t put in the effort to match the teams in our group. We are as soft as ****** and have been for a number of years.

That for me is the most unacceptable part of this. If the players showed more desire then the fans would be more supportive I’m sure. Too many of them seem to feel they are safe picks for the team and maybe that’s part of the problem.

if LJ doesn't grow a pair and remove some of these players then ultimately he will find he’s the one being replaced.

I’d rather see a team that’s trying than one that just seems happy going thru the motions.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    I'm getting to the stage where I'm struggling to give a **** who the manager is tbh.

Club is a shambles on the recruitment side.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Captain.... View Post
    I'm getting to the stage where I'm struggling to give a **** who the manager is tbh.

Deckchairs on the titanic stuff.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain.... View Post

Embarrassing! If this was happening at any other SPFL team, we'd be laughing at them. But the joke is on us.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Not the first time I have questioned the purpose of posts like this.

Let’s see….didn’t see it, didn’t know about it.
    Only purported ‘source’ a tweet from an unidentified mystery tweeter.

And if someone doesn’t want to be ‘quoted’ on it…why post it in the first place…….when the opposite will inevitably happen due to the fact that it was posted in the first place.?

I can only assume the Poster works for the Daily Record.
    Yep just making it up.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Not wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    He hardly has much options.

That’s 3 managers now struggled with the bulk of the players starting today.

Yet to be seen if Cabraja, Tavares, Bojan and Youan can turn things around
    Why doesn't he have much options?

Why are we in a position were we are starting with the bulk of players that let down the last 3 managers?

We have had all summer. We have spent a furtune on recruitment. We have brought in how many, 11 under Johnson's watch already.

We were crying out for 4 or 5 proven quality first team ready players. David Marshall the only one that he has brought in - great signing. We were crying out for 2 central midfielders and centre back, the spine of the team... nothing. There is still time left in the window however that is us already papped out the cup.

Budget *****ed on random select kids with potential... potentially a good team in 2 or 3 years.

The development additions needed to be balanced with 1st team ready players.

£6 milllion in the coffers and reduced to only hoping the club might bring in a couple players.

It's unbelievable. Just watched your predecessor fail with a midfield proven to be defunct and don't make it a priority to fix it. Will see Stevenson back in there soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
    Hardly, A loss to Falkirk and a draw with Morton were standard fare under Stubbs and even in the highly lauded championship season under Lennon where we drew 15 and lost 3.

It's early in the season and its not been a great start against teams who will aim to frustrate us, but we are with out the quality that sets us apart due to injuries and work permit issues. there are shoots of good team, which will be improved with the additions of Youan and Cabraja and the return of Hanlon, Magennis, Mitchell and eventually Nisbet.

These players are the ones who will make the difference against teams who sit in.
    Nisbet will take weeks to get any sort of form even after he steps onto the pitch, and we can't rely on Magennis as he's sadly too injury prone which is not fair on the laddie mind as he seemed to be getting his form for us, not ruling him out but I can't see him playing much so instead of hoping they make impacts when fit, we need fresh hungry players now

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yep just making it up.
    I was behind the dugouts and there were two individuals with very loud voices shouting at the Hibs coaching staff. One of the coaching staff, I assume "The Accused", was looking up at the fans taking it all in. He did raise his hands to his face, but at no time did I see him do that aforementioned "Shh". If I was wanting to stir up trouble, I could say it was a "Shh", but from my view it wasn't.

In true Hibs.net style this "Shh" gesture will become fact, when there is absolutely nothing in it.

& Cadden at left back - what the actual f

Its far to early to be critical of the managers signings but one thing is for sure Johnson is responsible as he has been at pains to point out he always has the final say in who comes to the club not either of the Gordons.

Its not hard to be critical of his disdain for lower league Scottish football though and his complete lack of respect.

Falkirk (away) set the tone which was always going to be the toughest game in the group against one of the best lower league managers around and was never the game for an experimental line up.

You only had to listen to his pre match interview last night to tell he had learned absolutely nothing when he talked about "good to have look at Cadds down the left" and at a stroke negated one of the teams best attacking options in a game where winning by a few goals was a neccesity.

He had even sold the Miller signing as a player who could play both flanks but decided to go for the virtually untried option instead.

The league cup in England is a joke competition which no-one takes seriously and Johnson brought this same attitude to Scotland with all his talk of this still being the pre-season.

Hibs now go into a very difficult opening sequence of games with young inexperienced players who will now be low on confidence and under pressure thanks to a manager who totally misread the opening sequence of games and didn't understand that historically Hibs have a top class record in recent cup competitions that has bred confidence and momentum for the league campaign.
    Last edited by The Baldmans Comb; 21-07-2022 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    & Cadden at left back - what the actual f
    Reminded me of fenlon and playing Stevenson at right back for half a season

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Its far to early to be critical of the managers signings but one thing is for sure Johnson is responsible as he has been at pains to point out he always has the final say in who comes to the club not either of the Gordons.

Its not hard to be critical of his disdain for lower league Scottish football though and his complete lack of respect.

Falkirk (away) set the tone which was always going to be the toughest game in the group against one of the best lower league managers around and was never the game for an experimental line up.

You only had to listen to his pre match interview last night to tell he had learned absolutely nothing when he talked about "good to have look at Cadds down the left" and at a stroke negated one of the teams best attacking options in a game where winning by a few goals was a neccesity.

He had even sold the Miller signing as a player who could play both flanks but decided to go for the virtually untried option instead.

The league cup in England is a joke competition which no-one takes seriously and Johnson brought this same attitude to Scotland with all his talk of this still being the pre-season.

Hibs now go into a very difficult opening sequence of games with young inexperienced players who will now be low on confidence and under pressure thanks to a manager who totally misread the opening sequence of games and didn't understand that historically Hibs have a top class record in recent cup competitions that has bred confidence and momentum for the league campaign.
    Good post

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Writing Tavares off is nonsense, however… based on his showing last night, do you have confidence that he has what it takes to make a contribution towards Hibs picking up points against St Johnstone and Hearts over the next fortnight?

I don’t.

You’d hope has what it takes to be a good player in the medium to long term but based on that 45 minutes he doesn’t offer much right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Was unaware McAllister was giving it the “shh” gesture to the fans tonight as he was going down the tunnel.

A bit early in his tenure here to start giving that patter out
    It's also a bit early for the bedwetters to get the knives out.

Cadden at left-back was a mistake. Chucking Tavares on at half-time when he’d just arrived in the country a day or two before was a mistake. But surely the players have to step up and take responsibility. It was a must-win game and yet we were ponderous and plodding against a team that had just been turned over by Clyde.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruber View Post
    Why doesn't he have much options?

Why are we in a position were we are starting with the bulk of players that let down the last 3 managers?

We have had all summer. We have spent a furtune on recruitment. We have brought in how many, 11 under Johnson's watch already.

We were crying out for 4 or 5 proven quality first team ready players. David Marshall the only one that he has brought in - great signing. We were crying out for 2 central midfielders and centre back, the spine of the team... nothing. There is still time left in the window however that is us already papped out the cup.

Budget *****ed on random select kids with potential... potentially a good team in 2 or 3 years.

The development additions needed to be balanced with 1st team ready players.

£6 milllion in the coffers and reduced to only hoping the club might bring in a couple players.

It's unbelievable. Just watched your predecessor fail with a midfield proven to be defunct and don't make it a priority to fix it. Will see Stevenson back in there soon
    I agree that we still need proven quality in a couple of key positions. I think the board are of the “but when…” mindset.

“But when

Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Cabraja
    JDH
    Magennis
    Mitchell
    Nisbet
    Youan

Are all available we’ll be a team and the key areas addressed”

The issue is you’ll very rarely have everyone available at the one time

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
    Hardly, A loss to Falkirk and a draw with Morton were standard fare under Stubbs and even in the highly lauded championship season under Lennon where we drew 15 and lost 3.

It's early in the season and its not been a great start against teams who will aim to frustrate us, but we are with out the quality that sets us apart due to injuries and work permit issues. there are shoots of good team, which will be improved with the additions of Youan and Cabraja and the return of Hanlon, Magennis, Mitchell and eventually Nisbet.

These players are the ones who will make the difference against teams who sit in.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    It’s obviously very early to be under this sort of scrutiny but the club and manager have brought it on themselves. It’s going to get extremely poisonous in the stands if we lose a few league games in a row at the start of the season. What a mess.

The big signing to sort the midfield is looking like the inexperienced youngster that he is. He can barley pass a ball. You’ve also got to worry when the experience in the side are all playing dreadfully and not taking any responsibility (Doidge, Newell, Porteous). We’re in for a long season.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It’s obviously very early to be under this sort of scrutiny but the club and manager have brought it on themselves. It’s going to get extremely poisonous in the stands if we lose a few league games in a row at the start of the season. What a mess.

The big signing to sort the midfield is looking like the inexperienced youngster that he is. He can barley pass a ball. You’ve also got to worry when the experience in the side are all playing dreadfully and not taking any responsibility (Doidge, Newell, Porteous). We’re in for a long season.

The experienced players are massively letting us down. Doidge, McGeady, Newell and Porteous were atrocious last night and Cadden wasn’t really any better although he was played out of position. Plenty people called it before the game that he shouldn’t be playing there.

None of the 4 above have shown anything to suggest that we can count on them. If that’s our experienced players to help the raft of young players we have along then we’re in real bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

The experienced players are massively letting us down. Doidge, McGeady, Newell and Porteous were atrocious last night and Cadden wasn’t really any better although he was played out of position. Plenty people called it before the game that he shouldn’t be playing there.

None of the 4 above have shown anything to suggest that we can count on them. If that’s our experienced players to help the raft of young players we have along then we’re in real bother.
    Agree with Doidge and Newell genuinely look like they don't want to be here. Porto was ok as was McGeady who is obviously still getting up to speed put a brilliant ball in at the end and also had a decent effort just past. Found it strange McGeady on the right as always looks much more dangerous from the left. Cadden at left back effectively stopped our most attacking threat as second half showed. Real lack of leadership all over the park.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post

TBF to Johnson, he won the league cup as a player setting up the winning goal in a Kilmarnock win v Celtic so I'm not quite sure that would be his attitude towards the competition.

I've said before that managers are almost never given time, time needs to be earned.

If there are signs that Johnson has us on the right trajectory then he will be afforded that luxury, more results like last night and Falkirk and he'll join the inglorious list of sacked Hibs managers.

Scottish football in particular is notoriously short term. The longest serving manager in the Premiership is Callum Davidson at just over 2 years, Robbie Neilson is the only other manager to be in post longer than 2 years. I'd wager if the former has a poor start he won't hold on to his title for too much longer despite all he has achieved in Perth. The nature of the league, being small and with ample chance to get dragged into a relegation dogfight, means clubs simply can't take the risk that someone can turn it around 6, 12 or 24 months in the future. If (the usual if doing heavy lifting caveat added here) we are floundering after the first round of games then I'm not convinced Johnson will get January to fix it.

If you look at managers who have had time and/or been relatively successful in Scottish football over the last few years then they have almost always hit the ground running. McInness took an Aberdeen side who had finished 9th to 3rd and a LC win in one season and two transfer windows. Postecoglu inherited a shambles at Celtic with fans in full on mutiny and won a double in his 1st season. Gerrard made it clear his was a mid term project at Rnagers, progressed year on year and won the title that really mattered to them. Jack Ross inherited a t Mirren side heading for relegation, kept them up and won the league the following year. McInness again took a Killie side toiling in the Championship last season and galvanised them into champions by hook or by crook.

Most managers aren't going to get 5 or 6 windows to build a side. If they do well in the 1st couple they may well get that time to evolve and grow their side. If they show minimal improvement after 1 or 2 windows then they won't get a 3rd and frankly they don't deserve one either. Of course the issues at Hibs run deeper than the manager, the football side of the club at 1st team level is totally listless. The team lacks any identity or discernible style. Johnson isn't solely responsible for that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by #2 Double Tap View Post
    It’s the guy picking the players.
    Hardly, let’s see. Do I pick Joe Newell or Josh Campbell for CM. He’s not made the wrong choice, both of them are the wrong choice. He needs players in the door

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've said before that managers are almost never given time, time needs to be earned.

If there are signs that Johnson has us on the right trajectory then he will be afforded that luxury, more results like last night and Falkirk and he'll join the inglorious list of sacked Hibs managers.

Scottish football in particular is notoriously short term. The longest serving manager in the Premiership is Callum Davidson at just over 2 years, Robbie Neilson is the only other manager to be in post longer than 2 years. I'd wager if the former has a poor start he won't hold on to his title for too much longer despite all he has achieved in Perth. The nature of the league, being small and with ample chance to get dragged into a relegation dogfight, means clubs simply can't take the risk that someone can turn it around 6, 12 or 24 months in the future. If (the usual if doing heavy lifting caveat added here) we are floundering after the first round of games then I'm not convinced Johnson will get January to fix it.

If you look at managers who have had time and/or been relatively successful in Scottish football over the last few years then they have almost always hit the ground running. McInness took an Aberdeen side who had finished 9th to 3rd and a LC win in one season and two transfer windows. Postecoglu inherited a shambles at Celtic with fans in full on mutiny and won a double in his 1st season. Gerrard made it clear his was a mid term project at Rnagers, progressed year on year and won the title that really mattered to them. Jack Ross inherited a t Mirren side heading for relegation, kept them up and won the league the following year. McInness again took a Killie side toiling in the Championship last season and galvanised them into champions by hook or by crook.

Most managers aren't going to get 5 or 6 windows to build a side. If they do well in the 1st couple they may well get that time to evolve and grow their side. If they show minimal improvement after 1 or 2 windows then they won't get a 3rd and frankly they don't deserve one either. Of course the issues at Hibs run deeper than the manager, the football side of the club at 1st team level is totally listless. The team lacks any identity or discernible style. Johnson isn't solely responsible for that.
    Jack Ross more than earned more time but I seem to recall you were one of the many who gave up on him and wanted him emptied. It seems like we'll never learn as a support or a club.