hibs.net Messageboard

Page 36 of 60 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1772
    @hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don’t allow quotes to get in the way of a vendetta.
    To be fair, a lot of people will have maybe only listened to the sportsound interview post match where this wasn’t mentioned.

That quoted post from LJ is much more aligned with what I thought from the game so fair play to him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Nonsense, the excitement came from his 33 goals/assists last season and the type of goals he scored which suggested he was going to be the penalty box poacher type we had been crying out for. So far he hasn’t played through the middle and has been utilised as a winger as a opposed to a penalty box striker.
    There’s an element of Cummings when he went down to Nottingham Forest. You can get away with questionable professional and attitude at a certain level but when you take a step up in terms of expectations and level of football you can come unstuck and go from being a maverick to a troublemaker.

LJ has alluded to professionalism already but he needs to screw the nut, work his arse off and focus on becoming as good as he can be rather than moaning at refs and funny Instagram stories.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

McKirdy looks like another Tavares signing, least Youhan finally scored a goal! If we didn’t have Boyle we would be stuffed as a goalscoring threat, I know we’ve got Kev to come back but I can’t ever remember Hibs having such poor strikers in terms of actual number of goals scored.

Johnsons naive team selection was just shocking and yet again showed how poor his match preparation can be and his lazy arrogant attitude towards Scottish football as he obviously had no idea the power of Celtic in midfield and down the flanks.

He redeemed himself admirably though with his forthright, passionate and brutally accurate assessment of why it all went so horribly wrong.

Tough matches like today don't define a season and overall on points he is ahead by a whisker but he needs to listen to those around him as you can't possibly go to places like Parkhead with that sort of schoolboy set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    I’m not convinced on the psychological take on it from LJ. While it might play a part I think he needs to realise that our players will never be as technically good as Celtics and prepare appropriately.

I get what he means in that if one person in the team doesn’t follow the press then it will fall apart but that’s not what I saw today. I thought the players were ragdolled around by Celtic’s movement and they looked horribly exposed at times.

I think he should have shouldered more of the blame for that today but as long as he learns from it and we pick ourselves up from it then it can be put down as a blip.
    Agreed. It's all very well the manager talking about Hibs imposing themselves on Celtic, but when the opposition is much better you need to have a plan to combat that disparity. We were set up all wrong, with Cadden and Stevenson totally exposed against a side everyone knows likes to hammer up and down the wings.
    If players aren't following the press, then they are not being coached properly...
    The manager can't carry the can for Marshall's fumble or Kenneh's embarrassing mis-kick, but sticking McKirdy up top wide on the left was a major mistake. The wee man looks really limited and this was not the game to be experimenting with his first start.
    Let's hope the players respond well to the criticism and come out with a point to prove on Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by thebausburst View Post
    McKirdy looks like another Tavares signing, least Youhan finally scored a goal! If we didn’t have Boyle we would be stuffed as a goalscoring threat, I know we’ve got Kev to come back but I can’t ever remember Hibs having such poor strikers in terms of actual number of goals scored.
    Said it on another thread, we never seem to target signing out-and-out goal scorers. I thought the big Ukrainian looked limited today as well, albeit the service to him was dire.

We need to push the boat out for a decent no 10/playmaker too, whom the play revolves around.

Still too many “prospects” populating the squad.

Tell me this is ***** ..Lee Johnson insists Hibs team should be asking Celtic players for SHIRTS as he makes 'standards' demand

Quote Originally Posted by Mrimbetween View Post
    Tell me this is ***** ..Lee Johnson insists Hibs team should be asking Celtic players for SHIRTS as he makes 'standards' demand
    Aye. Just pure nonsense waffle from him, much like the quotes before the game. Find it really annoying tbh but at least he has admitted fault himself and gave an accurate reflection of the game afterwards.

Sitting in third but teams below have games in hand, next Friday is huge, we could easily drop out of the top 6 if we fail to win that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    Aye. Just pure nonsense waffle from him, much like the quotes before the game. Find it really annoying tbh but at least he has admitted fault himself and gave an accurate reflection of the game afterwards

Sitting in third but teams below have games in hand, next Friday is huge, we could easily drop out of the top 6 if we fail to win that.
    Aye , we are sitting third that's as high as we can get imo and ok so teams have games in hand that doesn't necessarily mean points in the bag though does it ? Friday is huge as every other game is for us . You say if we fail to win we could easily drop out of top 6 ? Why haven't you mentioned if we win and keep in top 6 ?
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 16-10-2022 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    Aye. Just pure nonsense waffle from him, much like the quotes before the game. Find it really annoying tbh but at least he has admitted fault himself and gave an accurate reflection of the game afterwards.

I think it's good if he's encouraging the players to think for themselves and try to learn how to get better - but I'd also ask why the Hibs backroom staff don't already know all this and haven't instilled it into the players daily life.

There's no reason why the Hibs backroom staff shouldn't be as good as the Old Firm backroom staff - just like there is no reason why the training the Hibs players do shouldn't be to the same level as the Old Firm players. I remember Riordan saying that he'd never trained as hard as he did when he was at Celtic - how is that acceptable?

Then again, I don't think what managers and players say to journalists is ever what they really think - it's just words to try and keep the supporters on side.

Hopefully they can get back on it and get a result against St Johnstone - but nothing is easy as I think every team in the league is capable of finishing 3rd or bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I think it's good if he's encouraging the players to think for themselves and try to learn how to get better - but I'd also ask why the Hibs backroom staff don't already know all this and haven't instilled it into the players daily life.

There's no reason why the Hibs backroom staff shouldn't be as good as the Old Firm backroom staff - just like there is no reason why the training the Hibs players do shouldn't be to the same level as the Old Firm players. I remember Riordan saying that he'd never trained as hard as he did when he was at Celtic - how is that acceptable?

Then again, I don't think what managers and players say to journalists is ever what they really think - it's just words to try and keep the supporters on side.

Hopefully they can get back on it and get a result against St Johnstone - but nothing is easy as I think every team in the league is capable of finishing 3rd or bottom.
    Which is why the 3rd and 4th placed teams will get hammered in Europe. The bigger clubs - Aberdeen Hearts and Hibs - are all pretty dire at the moment. Hearts are the only club with the income to do anything about that.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrimbetween View Post
    I don't think it was literal. I think he meant they should be coming off the pitch looking at the players they've just faced as the standard they need to set. It was more metaphorical than literal.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    I don't think it was literal. I think he meant they should be coming off the pitch looking at the players they've just faced as the standard they need to set. It was more metaphorical than literal.
    Correct how anyone can’t see that is beyond me, just another excuse for a moan

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Correct how anyone can’t see that is beyond me, just another excuse for a moan

It’s a turn of phrase, that’s all.

For years we’ve been going to Glasgow and hearing moans that we’ve been ‘mouse hearted’ for going too defensive and that we should have taken the game to them when we’ve got pumped. Now LJ was ‘naive’ to go with three strikers. I’ve got no problem with Stevenson and Cadden being ‘isolated’ out wide; if they have good games they can nullify the Celtic wide threat, it wasn’t inevitable or suicidal, it was a calculated risk so we can have numerical advantage elsewhere. And if McKirdy isn’t doing what he’s being told to do in terms of a high press he needs to be benched until he can show he can. Hardly LJs fault if the boy isn’t following simple instructions.

I’ve not seen anything of mckirdy yet that makes me think regular goalscorer. Certainly likes a moan to the ref and telling the management to **** off.

I’d get Youan back in for Friday, first striker to score in god knows.

Magennis must start too. Campbell due a rest

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I’ve not seen anything of mckirdy yet that makes me think regular goalscorer. Certainly likes a moan to the ref and telling the management to **** off.

I’d get Youan back in for Friday, first striker to score in god knows.

Magennis must start too. Campbell due a rest
    Kenneh would be the one getting a rest for me. Rabbit in the headlights yesterday imo. Simply not good enough on the ball for that position. Needs to be secure on it not being a toss up whether he loses the ball and we concede. Hindsight Johnson went too open if you watched back the United game as Celtic would have would have seen how wide open we are when we lose the ball. Defensively the goals lost were terrible.

Magennis should have started in the place of McKirdy making us harder to play against.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 16-10-2022 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He had a go with an attacking team but got the selection wrong, Stevenson and McKirdy were the wrong options.
    Not sure cabraja improved much when he came on.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Not sure cabraja improved much when he came on.
    True but he has more threat going forward, TBH the whole team were like rabbits in the headlights yesterday and that was a big concern, mentioned by Johnston in his post game interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    Easy for Johnson talk after the game and criticise the players, but he signed half this team and set them up for failure today.

Didn't like at all what I saw today. Like even less Johnson's interview and him not taking any responsibility for what happened today.
    So no responsibility for players making criminal individual mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    True but he has more threat going forward, TBH the whole team were like rabbits in the headlights yesterday and that was a big concern, mentioned by Johnston in his post game interview.
    Fair point

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Kenneh would be the one getting a rest for me. Rabbit in the headlights yesterday imo. Simply not good enough on the ball for that position. Needs to be secure on it not being a toss up whether he loses the ball and we concede. Hindsight Johnson went too open if you watched back the United game as Celtic would have would have seen how wide open we are when we lose the ball. Defensively the goals lost were terrible.

Magennis should have started in the place of McKirdy making us harder to play against.
    I think Kenneh needs to keep playing and gaining experience, it's the best way to improve him. He has done well in the games after he came back in, yesterday felt a bridge too far for a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Johnsons naive team selection was just shocking and yet again showed how poor his match preparation can be and his lazy arrogant attitude towards Scottish football as he obviously had no idea the power of Celtic in midfield and down the flanks.

He redeemed himself admirably though with his forthright, passionate and brutally accurate assessment of why it all went so horribly wrong.

Tough matches like today don't define a season and overall on points he is ahead by a whisker but he needs to listen to those around him as you can't possibly go to places like Parkhead with that sort of schoolboy set up.
    Some take that lazy and arrogant attitude. Dear oh dear.

Not sure about the "del boy" jacket johnson wore tbh

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post

Looking forward to when you become Hibs manager.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Not sure about the "del boy" jacket johnson wore tbh
    First Hibs manager to wear denim jeans on a matchday?

Wonder if they were Armani, Levi or Pepe?

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    First Hibs manager to wear denim jeans on a matchday?

Wonder if they were Armani, Levi or Pepe?
    Probably Lee's ( Jeans)
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 16-10-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Was checking up on Lee Johnson last night when I ended up reading about his father Gary Johnson who is manager of Torquay utd now . There was a game one time when Johnson senior was in charge of Yeovil town v Plymouth argyle in the league cup .The Plymouth keeper put the ball out of play due to a injury to a Plymouth player .When giving the ball back the Yeovil player accidentally scored a goal for Yeovil and in the name of sportsmanship Gary Johnson instructed his own team to walk the ball into there own goals to level the match up at 1-1 . Funny part was the player who accidentally scored the goal was our very own Lee Johnson who went on to score a hat trick in the game that Yeovil won 3-2 .

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    Was checking up on Lee Johnson last night when I ended up reading about his father Gary Johnson who is manager of Torquay utd now . There was a game one time when Johnson senior was in charge of Yeovil town v Plymouth argyle in the league cup .The Plymouth keeper put the ball out of play due to a injury to a Plymouth player .When giving the ball back the Yeovil player accidentally scored a goal for Yeovil and in the name of sportsmanship Gary Johnson instructed his own team to walk the ball into there own goals to level the match up at 1-1 . Funny part was the player who accidentally scored the goal was our very own Lee Johnson who went on to score a hat trick in the game that Yeovil won 3-2 .
    I remember that and it was Stevie Crawford who walked the equaliser in.

Edit: I found the clip.

https://youtu.be/eyk8v54SoXk