hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ron Out Now

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The expectation that we turn around the disaster of last season and completely change the entire squad, backroom staff and playing style in 4 weeks is what is doing us in.

It is ridiculous to expect such drastic change when currently we are still stuck playing a bunch of the same players too. Things take time, but our fans have no patience for anything, they must win every single week playing well and if not then the CEO should go, the owner should go and the manager should go.

What people are calling for is the death of the club, the change demanded in threads like this is not sustainable.
    So we shouldn’t be expecting to go through in a group consisting of Morton Falkirk and Bonnyrigg?

Transformation doesn’t happen over night but if you’re signing 12 new players, albeit not all of them have featured, with a new manager in the dug out and can’t progress from that group there’s something wrong.

No-ones expecting miracles but people are expecting to see small differences on the pitch. There was zero difference on that park against Falkirk or Morton, two of the better teams in our group from Maloneys hibs team last season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Look at the reaction when we don't play well or lose, you get threads like this.

There is no room for a turnaround, its win or get out.

Guys like McGinn? So just McGinn who wanted to leave, and left, the manager has some sort of plan and is clearly signing the players he wants.
    And that’s fine, he can sign all the players he wants. If he doesn’t sign the players he needs though then we’ll continue to be wanting a whole new team as our midfield will see us bottom half again. And nobody wants that.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    The expectation that we turn around the disaster of last season and completely change the entire squad, backroom staff and playing style in 4 weeks is what is doing us in.

It is ridiculous to expect such drastic change when currently we are still stuck playing a bunch of the same players too. Things take time, but our fans have no patience for anything, they must win every single week playing well and if not then the CEO should go, the owner should go and the manager should go.

What people are calling for is the death of the club, the change demanded in threads like this is not sustainable.

I'm sorry but the change needed should not require losing to Falkirk and drawing with Morton, no matter how much time it is going to take to turn things around. On current evidence we are worse than last season to this point.

A group of players ,mainly experienced,didn’t perform or show any resilience and got two managers sacked in six months. Pretty obvious where the problem is.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I'm sorry but the change needed should not require losing to Falkirk and drawing with Morton, no matter how much time it is going to take to turn things around. On current evidence we are worse than last season to this point.
    It doesn't require losing, but its sport and these things happen, the other teams are actually there to win games too not just sit there while we steamroller them.

Change takes time, we do not look worse than we did with maloney, we don't look much better either. It's only been 4 weeks.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice-Terry View Post
    Why are so many people adamant that it's Ian Gordon who decides who we sign when Ron, Kensell, LJ (and others) have all said that's not the case? Having said that, the 'Buy young players with sell-on-potential' approach has been taken WAY too far. We need proven QUALITY in now!
    Spot on. I think that Steve Kean is behind this policy and RG thinks it’s a way to make money

Transfer policy is obviously very questionable, given the last 3 windows and the alarming reduction in first team quality.

To compound this, who is responsible for new contracts? Last year, under JR we had Doidge, JDH and Campbell given lengthy extensions - (we were playing well at this stage which can maybe alleviate some concerns, albeit Doidge was still recovering from a long term injury)

However, in the midst of the Maloney spell of no goals etc, we rewarded Newell with an extension until 2025 FFS.

Does this suggest that either IG / BK are in charge of player contracts rather than the incumbent manager? What are they basing these new contracts on? (Would imagine some sort of perceived future windfall)

I think Ron has good intentions for the club, but his decision to appoint his son and BK to such crucial roles may prove to be his achilles heel.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    We do know that the recruitment hasn’t addressed the midfield though, which all our issues stem from IMO.

We moved on Gogic in January only to then sign a similar player in Kenneh as our only effort to address the midfield.
    I agree with that.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    We’ve signed loads of players and neglected the critical positions.

People are only advocating changing the entire squad because we’ve signed however many players without improving the positions that done us over last season.

If we’d signed 6 players and 2 of them were centre mids that looked like they’d improve us you’d probably find less people wanting a whole new team. As it is, we’ve let guys like McGinn go to replace him when it didn’t really need done, we could have just kept McGinn who was fine as a backup and it would have meant we could have focussed our efforts in signing the players we actually needed.

Also, absolutely nobody is suggesting we win every week and win playing well.
    Which critical positions have we neglected? People complained about Macey, we signed Marshall, people said we needed a #6, we signed Kenneh, we needed strikers, we signed 2 but only one was available last night. I could go on with us signing a LB, 2 CB' and wide players. We're still trying hard for another, experienced CB but that wouldn't have improved the quality of our forward play or our creativity last night.

Gamer IDs

It doesn't require losing, but its sport and these things happen, the other teams are actually there to win games too not just sit there while we steamroller them.

Change takes time, we do not look worse than we did with maloney, we don't look much better either. It's only been 4 weeks.

'It's sport and these things happen' is quite the forgiveness of sins benediction for a failure to win both of these games. We are about to start competing with Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen who are of a completely different footballing order. We didn't play well and get unlucky, we were clueless. We should have signed players ready to come into the team now and we haven't. We should be playing a better system and we're not. We should be showing more self belief and we're not.

He might get it right but I won't be calling it anything rosier than it actually is, which at the moment is godawful.

Relative to this stage last season we are considerably worse. Relative to Maloney is the apologist's bar since it is both so mind-bendingly low and not what you would imagine any Hibs manager would see as a target.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Which critical positions have we neglected? People complained about Macey, we signed Marshall, people said we needed a #6, we signed Kenneh, we needed strikers, we signed 2 but only one was available last night. I could go on with us signing a LB, 2 CB' and wide players. We're still trying hard for another, experienced CB but that wouldn't have improved the quality of our forward play or our creativity last night.
    We needed at least two quality centre midfielders. It’s the most important position on the pitch. Our centre midfield absolutely destroyed us last season and was by far the most critical position to get signings of quality in. We’ve signed a guy who had never played first team football. That’s it. That’s neglecting it.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 21-07-2022 at 10:12 AM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    'It's sport and these things happen' is quite the forgiveness of sins benediction for a failure to win both of these games. We are about to start competing with Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen who are of a completely different footballing order. We didn't play well and get unlucky, we were clueless. We should have signed players ready to come into the team now and we haven't. We should be playing a better system and we're not. We should be showing more self belief and we're not.

He might get it right but I won't be calling it anything rosier than it actually is, which at the moment is godawful.

Relative to this stage last season we are considerably worse. Relative to Maloney is the apologist's bar since it is both so mind-bendingly low and not what you would imagine any Hibs manager would see as a target.
    Good post.

How anyone can seriously defend what's happening is beyond me.

Hibs are a mess on the field and the owner needs to be held accountable for the direction we have taken.

Make or break season for the Gordon regime, more of the same pish or worse and he will come to truly understand the fickle nature of football fans.

@hibs.net private member

Gamer IDs

Whats the better system? how long should players get to learn it?

Do you not think the manager is going to be doing something different from Maloney? He's had 4 weeks as I said and that's not with many of the players because moving teams isn't just turning up for training at a different location one day and instantly understanding all your team mates.

Why is it OK to compare now to this time last year, but not compare it to Maloneyball?

No one at all has said things are good, last night was awful, I paid to get in and sit there watching it. But, we want everything all at once and its not going to happen.

Give the manager time but also get instant results, learn a new playing style but also do it instantly and already know it, integrate new players but also have them settle in and know everything straight away.

Gamer IDs

Whats the better system? how long should players get to learn it?

Do you not think the manager is going to be doing something different from Maloney? He's had 4 weeks as I said and that's not with many of the players because moving teams isn't just turning up for training at a different location one day and instantly understanding all your team mates.

Why is it OK to compare now to this time last year, but not compare it to Maloneyball?

No one at all has said things are good, last night was awful, I paid to get in and sit there watching it. But, we want everything all at once and its not going to happen.

Give the manager time but also get instant results, learn a new playing style but also do it instantly and already know it, integrate new players but also have them settle in and know everything straight away.

Listen to yourself.

You're not defending a poor league start against St Johnstone and Hearts, you're defending a defeat to Falkirk two leagues below us and a draw at home to a Morton side that finished 5 points off a relegation spot in the in the league below us.

No-one expects us to be playing like Brazil at this stage however I think that as aspirations go, 'not 5hite' isn't really asking for the moon.

Listen to yourself.

You're not defending a poor league start against St Johnstone and Hearts, you're defending a defeat to Falkirk two leagues below us and a draw at home to a Morton side that finished 5 points off a relegation spot in the in the league below us.

No-one expects us to be playing like Brazil at this stage however I think that as aspirations go, 'not 5hite' isn't really asking for the moon.
    He isn't defending anything if you read his post properly, however he is pointing out we need to give more than 4 weeks to the new manager and more than 45 mins for some of the new boys before righting them all off as ****.

I actually think Ron has put his money where his mouth is in terms of investment. But his continued loyalty in his son and Ben Kensell will be his down fall.

Desperately need a director of football and I think Kensell is out his depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If Rod Petrie was on his 3rd manager in a year, had overseen a season where we missed top 6 and watched us eliminated from the LC in the group stages then no amount of pointing at balance sheets and infrastructure investments would have been considered acceptable mitigation. The abuse would have been as vitriolic as it always was.

It's obviously still a honeymoon period for Gordon but the 1st team is what matters for most fans and thus far he's watching the men he appointed allow us to regress at an alarming rate.
    Cant disagree with anything you've said there, pretty much sums up the current situation.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Yeah, I think this suspension cock up has pushed it over the line for me.

Clearly investing in the team but not capable of running a football club nor appointing the correct personell.

Appointing his son as head of recruitment is straight out of the Romanov playbook.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    We needed at least two quality centre midfielders. It’s the most important position on the pitch. Our centre midfield absolutely destroyed us last season and was by far the most critical position to get signings of quality in. We’ve signed a guy who had never played first team football. That’s it. That’s neglecting it.
    So not critical positions then, one position for which we signed a reputedly highly rated young player from an EPL club. Personally I was not over impressed with Kenneh in Portugal and subsequently but you're changing the argument now. Its perfectly fair, though possibly premature, to comment on the quality of our signings but it's wrong, IMO, to say we didn't make those signings.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    So not critical positions then, one position for which we signed a reputedly highly rated young player from an EPL club. Personally I was not over impressed with Kenneh in Portugal and subsequently but you're changing the argument now. Its perfectly fair, though possibly premature, to comment on the quality of our signings but it's wrong, IMO, to say we didn't make those signings.
    Ok, one position. Although if we really want to be pedantic, there’s 3 centre midfield positions up for grabs and imo we needed at least two quality midfielders coming in to take them, so positions could still really be correct

I don’t think the signing of Kenneh can be considered to be anywhere near acceptable when it comes to fixing our midfield issues. He’d never played first team football, he should have been an addition to players with proven quality.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 21-07-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Gamer IDs

What does Ian have to do with this **** up? Folk just want to be raging at him

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    The lack of professionalism and attention to detail at the club is extremely concerning.

Changes are needed.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

I wouldnae say Ron Out, I'd be emptying that empty vessel Ben Kensell first.

What's he actually done for the club? Went through 3 managers, got new screens (whoop dee doo), signed off on us getting sponsorship from a company going bust etc etc etc

Boy hasn't a clue - wearing crocs to a Doc Marten convention springs tae mind.

Who’s blamed Ian for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    What does he have to do with football recruitment to be appointed to the job in the first place?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Coaching Staff
    Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest the story today about fielding a suspended player. Tip of the melting iceberg for me. I was concerned last year about Ron Gordon and nothing has changed, far from it, it’s deepened my distrust. The club is not in good hands I’m afraid.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Remember “The Bunnet” with his “biscuit tin”?

He came in with different approach, had
    many doubters. But stuck to his course that was the opposite of where Rangers and others headed.

Iirc he got a bit of a booing when he unfurled that Championship flag. In a nice bit of history re-writing he now appears to be lauded. He steered clear of the lemmings path Rangers, Hearts and others went on spending beyond their means.

I’m not saying RG is like the bunnet or he’s got it right (we can’t keep on failing and failing fast). Right here right now is the problem but he also appears to be taking the mid-longer view into consideration maybe in time we’ll see the friuts of that we can’t imagine right now?

That said, We’re not known for our patience beyond a certain point so the Question is whether he gets much more space and time.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    There's some absolute footballing savants on here who can tell if a players good or not with less than 45 mins football. Impressive stuff. Lets try 'supporting' the team for a while before writing them off.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    There's some absolute footballing savants on here who can tell if a players good or not with less than 45 mins football. Impressive stuff. Lets try 'supporting' the team for a while before writing them off.
    Great insight.