hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: LIV Golf

Blog Entries

LIV Golf

LIV Golf seems to be gaining momentum and it seems it is here to stay. Every other day we hear about possible defectors from the PGA and DP tours. If they already have the requisite 48 players/12 teams of 4, playing 54 holes, how will the original format be maintained? They won’t stop trying to attract as many defectors as possible but potential big increases in membership might cause them a few headaches. I suppose they might have to increase the already obscene incentives/prize money and convert to a normal tour as normal.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LIV Golf seems to be gaining momentum and it seems it is here to stay. Every other day we hear about possible defectors from the PGA and DP tours. If they already have the requisite 48 players/12 teams of 4, playing 54 holes, how will the original format be maintained? They won’t stop trying to attract as many defectors as possible but potential big increases in membership might cause them a few headaches. I suppose they might have to increase the already obscene incentives/prize money and convert to a normal tour as normal.
    No what they'll do is they'll cherry pick the best. Meaning they'll fill the slots and when someone better is available, they'll bin the bottom performing players.

All that will happen is a closed shop where cash is king and morals are bust.

The coverage is pish as well.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No what they'll do is they'll cherry pick the best. Meaning they'll fill the slots and when someone better is available, they'll bin the bottom performing players.

All that will happen is a closed shop where cash is king and morals are bust.

The coverage is pish as well.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Well if the rejected bottom performing players were originally from other tours, they should be banned from returning or, at very least, have to start on the bottom rung and go through requalifying.

I'm pretty sure it will end up ending my interest in golf.

Can't stand it.

Hard to see their progress being stopped as the money will just be too tempting.

It's desperately sad.

@hibs.net private member
    They want the top 48 golfers.
    No room for progression for rookies.
    Rory could end up joining as he would be playing against nobodys week in week out on the normal tour.

Stenson officially stripped off Ryder Cup captaincy today

They've certainly savaged the Ryder Cup with the succession of potential Ryder Cup captains who have already moved over.

Some of sport's best events about to be replaced with utter pish where the players become ridiculously unrelatable.

There's going to have to be an arrangement eventually between the two factions. Otherwise golf is finished.
    It's already virtually dead for those who still watch free-to-air TV.

I saw your post about LIV Golf and the possible defectors from the PGA and DP tours. It's definitely interesting to see how the landscape of professional golf is evolving, and it'll be interesting to see how LIV Golf handles the potential increase in membership and maintains the original format.