hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dont listen to them mate, they made me wear a kilt, go on a haggis hunt, eat 5 deep fried mars bars and then wash it down 2 litres of buckfast before they would accept me :)

Hibs fans are the salt of the earth.
    Accept you?

When did that happen?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by IvanSproule View Post
    Definitely walk it if you can mate, the walk from Waverley, along Regent Road and then down Easter Road must be one of the most beautiful walks to a ground in British football I'd say.
    Great views of the Old Town and Arthur's Seat.
    Stop in the Artisan for a good pint.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I must have made the walk down from the Waverley hundreds of times and it's never occured to me to go up the Waverley steps and up past the old Royal High School as you've described.

If I'm not meeting anyone on Leith Walk, that's my new route to the game. Great suggestion.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    As an aside, at what point does it stop becoming Waterloo place and start being Regent Rd?

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Accept you?

When did that happen?
    Probably when i got the round in :)

Probably when i got the round in :)
    Ah, you didn't mention that!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    As an aside, at what point does it stop becoming Waterloo place and start being Regent Rd?
    Howies restaurant is the end of Waterloo Place on the left - it then veers up to the right behind the Scottish Government Building, whose entrance is on Regent Road.

Coaching Staff
    A 20 minute stroll from Waverley to the stadium?

It's one and a half miles.

That's less than 14 minutes a mile.
    It's an easy downhill stroll 😊

Quote Originally Posted by LongJohnBanger View Post
    I must have made the walk down from the Waverley hundreds of times and it's never occured to me to go up the Waverley steps and up past the old Royal High School as you've described.

If I'm not meeting anyone on Leith Walk, that's my new route to the game. Great suggestion.
    Been walking that way for years mate and it never gets old. Except when its pishin down!
    Always pretty quiet too.

I do tend to avoid it when Rangers are in town as I think they park their buses there....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Not that far a walk, plenty busses if you canny be arsed though.

Don’t worry about the accent, there’s plenty hibs fans come up from England and over from Ireland.

Get a half pizza supper from Giovanni’s, salt and sauce obviously, for the authentic Scottish experience. Unrivalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, Giovannis has been a staple of my day out at Easter Road for near 20 years. Just a shame it’s not washed down with pints at the nip anymore
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

A 20 minute stroll from Waverley to the stadium?

It's one and a half miles.

That's less than 14 minutes a mile.
    If you come out the back way from Waverley beside the Black Bull you can make it to Easter Road in 20 mins. Not as good as the walk others have mentioned though

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    If you come out the back way from Waverley beside the Black Bull you can make it to Easter Road in 20 mins. Not as good as the walk others have mentioned though
    The Black Bull? That's on the top of Leith Walk, no?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    The Black Bull? That's on the top of Leith Walk, no?
    Where Renton gets knocked down in Trainspotting 😉

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    On the bus debate, I'd definitely avoid getting the bus after the game if you're heading back to Waverley unless you have mobility issues. It might be different since there won't be a normal size of crowd but it normally takes way longer by bus to Waverley after a match than it is to walk due to match congestion, tram work congestion, matinees coming out of the Playhouse, etc.

If walking to/from the station, I'd avoid the Waverley Steps > Leith Street > London Rd route (unless you want to go to pubs around the Playhouse) and either go the scenic Waterloo Place route for the view, or the way I go which is to use the often forgotten about Calton Rd exit from Waverley, turn right out of the drop-off area, go down Calton Rd, left up Abbeyhill and down Easter Road - I find it quicker as it is less busy all round.
    Or go out the Calton Road exit (east end of the station) and under the Waterloo Arch (made famous by Renton being run over in the chase in Trainspotting - impossible in real life ) and you're basically already at the junction of Leith Walk and London Road. It really is an easy walk - the last time I went to ER my train arrived at Waverley at 2.20 and I was in the ground with at least 15 minutes to spare.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    If any one knew it would alter the space time continuum.

Dont listen to them mate, they made me wear a kilt, go on a haggis hunt, eat 5 deep fried mars bars and then wash it down 2 litres of buckfast before they would accept me :)

Hibs fans are the salt of the earth.
    5 deep fried mars bars and 2 litres of buckfast? You lucky *******

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BradtheMiller View Post
    Thanks for all the info & friendly warm welcome. I'm arriving fairly early so I'll probably take a leisurely stroll. You hibees are a friendly bunch, can't wait now, I'm a bit of an anorak so I'll be taking loads of pics of the city & Easter Road, see you Saturday!!!
    If you've got plenty of time then you'll get some good photos of the city and our stadium from Calton Hill, which is on MagicSwirlingShip's route. The buildings in the photo at the link below are on Regent Road and as you can see, it isn't much of a trek up the hill (5 minutes to the top according to the Edinburgh guide). It is part of the world heritage site https://ewh.org.uk/world-heritage-sites/calton-hill/

Photos from Calton Hill:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ph...h=725&dpr=2.63

Hope you enjoy the game.

Coaching Staff
    Get a taxi to the Hibs Club and mix with the punters over a few pre match beers.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    The route I generally take. Sometimes I turn right out of the station and go via the Palace and over Abbeyhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Definitely do this instead of getting a bus. The short 30 minute walk isn't a trek as described above.
    Definitely worth allowing whatever time you need for a pleasant and mostly downhill stroll Waterloo Place/Regent Road/Easter Road - if the weather is kind. Maybe even a wee detour up Calton Hill for the picture postcard 360 views of Edinburgh. It's a steep but short path up for much reward.
    Mind and allow double the time for coming back uphill to Waverley though!
    Last edited by Greenbeard; 05-07-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    On the bus debate, I'd definitely avoid getting the bus after the game if you're heading back to Waverley unless you have mobility issues. It might be different since there won't be a normal size of crowd but it normally takes way longer by bus to Waverley after a match than it is to walk due to match congestion, tram work congestion, matinees coming out of the Playhouse, etc.

If walking to/from the station, I'd avoid the Waverley Steps > Leith Street > London Rd route (unless you want to go to pubs around the Playhouse) and either go the scenic Waterloo Place route for the view, or the way I go which is to use the often forgotten about Calton Rd exit from Waverley, turn right out of the drop-off area, go down Calton Rd, left up Abbeyhill and down Easter Road - I find it quicker as it is less busy all round.
    Quicker for sure but not very scenic!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Definitely worth allowing whatever time you need for a pleasant and mostly downhill stroll Waterloo Place/Regent Road/Easter Road - if the weather is kind. Maybe even a wee detour up Calton Hill for the picture postcard 360 views of Edinburgh. It's a steep but short path up for much reward.
    Mind and allow double the time for coming back uphill to Waverley though!
    Not to mention there a pretty decent view of Easter Road stadium from Calton Hill

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Thanks for all the info & friendly warm welcome. I'm arriving fairly early so I'll probably take a leisurely stroll. You hibees are a friendly bunch, can't wait now, I'm a bit of an anorak so I'll be taking loads of pics of the city & Easter Road, see you Saturday!!!
    As you have a bit of time. I would suggest walking down towards the Playhouse Theatre (a 5 minute walk from station) There you will find plenty restaurants and bars. After your pre match refreshments, I would walk along London Road to the top of Easter Road, (the street) that should take around 10 mins, then head down Easter Road to the stadium another 10 minute stroll. If early you'll pass a couple of pubs on Easter Road itself en route to the stadium. If anything at least the weather is to be decent, even if the game's not. ��
    Last edited by green with envy; 05-07-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Amazed it took so long for someone to suggest the Calton Road exit from Waverley! My personal best is 16 minutes from ER to Waverley after the Molde game the other year to catch the last train south but fair to say I was walking pretty quickly. Only done the Regent Road route in a taxi (and a morning jog before the St Johnstone game at the end of last season!) but preferred the London Road route (albeit I do tend to go down Leith Walk instead for a pint or two)

Ian here, a 60 year old avid groundhopper & Rotherham United fan. I'm coming up to Easter Road for Saturday's game v Clyde.
    Is the stadium walkable from Waverley station or is a bus better?
    Best place to eat near the ground etc?
    should I keep my gob shut (yorks accent)?
    How's Joe Newell doing for you lot?
    Are the natives generally friendly?
    All help gratefully recieved, cheers!
    Dear Ian,
    I agree with most of the replies and depending on weather
    determines way to ground and also what you wish to eat. Strangely my wife and l are going to watch Ladies Euros next week with matches in Sheffield and Rotherham. We are staying in Rotherham but need a reciprocal arrangement,any recommendations for restaurants or places to visit,also any local golf courses.
    Can you assist. Bill McMahon

​
    Quote Originally Posted by l'omdra View Post
    Dear Ian,
    I agree with most of the replies and depending on weather
    determines way to ground and also what you wish to eat. Strangely my wife and l are going to watch Ladies Euros next week with matches in Sheffield and Rotherham. We are staying in Rotherham but need a reciprocal arrangement,any recommendations for restaurants or places to visit,also any local golf courses.
    Can you assist. Bill McMahon

Yorkshire’s finest historic parkland Golf Club in Rotherham | Rotherham Golf Club told it's pretty good

THE 10 BEST Restaurants & Places to Eat in Wickersley 2022 - Tripadvisor

I personally recommend 450 above, superb place but Wickersley, about 4 miles out of Rotherham town centre is the best in the area for restaurants.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    The Hibs support revealing its poor fitness levels in this thread lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    The Hibs support revealing its poor fitness levels in this thread lol
    These colours don't run, right enough. Or jog. Or even walk at a brisk pace...

@hibs.net private member
    Nice to hear from you pal, but do yourself a favour by taking the Waterloo Place, Regent Road, (then left down Easter Road) option. You'll be walking along a natural ridge with spectacular views back to the Castle and the late medieval town, Holyrood Palace and (modern) parliament below. Opposite you'll see Arthurs Seat, Edinburgh's designer mountain named after a famous left-winger/wingback who could do sub 11 sec, but usually forgot the ball.
    Then Easter Road is grittier, but the shout for the Mash Tun is a good one. It might even be 'free beer for Yorkies' day. Or did I make that up? Whatevs, enjoy.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    These colours don't run, right enough. Or jog. Or even walk at a brisk pace...
    😅

Edinburgh was everything I expected it to be & so much more.
    Enjoyed the match, loved the stadium & you Hibees fans couldn't have been more welcoming if you tried, altogether a fantastic groundhop.
    Best City in the UK by a country mile, I'll be back soon, thanks again.