hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Imagine you are in charge of recruitment

And the incoming manager asks you to line up three new midfielders. One combative ball-winner, one who can calmly pick a pass under pressure and one who chips in will half a dozens goals every season.

Where are you going to find these players. Have you any targets already who are plying their trade in the SPFL? Any other over-30s like McGeady coming back from England? Young players breaking through in the lower leagues?

And once you’ve identified them, how easy will it be for LJ to convince them to come play for a side who finished 8th in the SPL last season?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the incoming manager asks you to line up three new midfielders. One combative ball-winner, one who can calmly pick a pass under pressure and one who chips in will half a dozens goals every season.

Where are you going to find these players. Have you any targets already who are plying their trade in the SPFL? Any other over-30s like McGeady coming back from England? Young players breaking through in the lower leagues?

And once you’ve identified them, how easy will it be for LJ to convince them to come play for a side who finished 8th in the SPL last season?
    I'd probably say;

"Hi Lee, Kenneh, JDH & Henderson."

Pretty easily with the right amount of cash on offer. The same reason players disappear to China or why Boyle will be playing second division Saudi football next season.

There is a guy at Celtic who's 31 and has a contract until 2025 who would do a good job. Obviously picking up a good wage at Celtic but gets very little game time and will probably get even less get time in the coming season.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Pretty easily with the right amount of cash on offer. The same reason players disappear to China or why Boyle will be playing second division Saudi football next season.
    That’s assuming there is only one club offering him cash.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I don't think it's that hard a sell to attract people to Hibs, assuming we can afford their wage expectations.

I don't think last season's league position is necessarily a negative in the discussion, if it was me I'd use it to show why we needed the player and let them know that we'd already spent heavily on 10 (I think) players and a management team already and that the incoming player was going to be instrumental in us hitting or targets this season.

As to who those players are, I have no idea!!
    Last edited by matty_f; 15-07-2022 at 09:21 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Midfielders? We need a dominant left footed centre back who can jump. This idea playing Porteous or McLelland on the left makes these players look bad. This is not Van Dijk at Liverpool who is top class but Scottish centre backs that have to turn inside every time they play the ball to make a pass. Hibs have been crying out for a left footed centre back to challenge Hanlon for the past three seasons. Priority one before the season starts for real

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

Alan Campbell, Greg Doherty and Ross McCrorie were all available at one point or the other. There will be plenty more, it’s about identifying them and making offers which are hugely attractive.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Alan Campbell, Greg Doherty and Ross McCrorie were all available at one point or the other. There will be plenty more, it’s about identifying them and making offers which are hugely attractive.
    Greg Docherty would have been an exceptional signing. A shame we didn’t manage to keep him permanently as he’d have either made us a fortune or been exceptional, of that I’ve no doubt.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    We would never have been able to compete with the wages on offer for any of the 3. Campbell and Doherty were always going to go to the championship where we can't match the wages, then we were about to sign McRorie until Aberdeen offered him far more money.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    We would never have been able to compete with the wages on offer for any of the 3. Campbell and Doherty were always going to go to the championship where we can't match the wages, then we were about to sign McRorie until Aberdeen offered him far more money.
    To be fair Docherty went to League One. We still might not have been able to match it of course but I’d have loved to sign him. Very similar player to Magennis of the first month or two of last season but probably slightly better and always fit.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 15-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Campbell went to the then League One Luton Town and I’m fairly sure that Hull were League One too.

I’d also add that one was at Motherwell and wouldn’t be on big money and the other was playing in Rangers reserves. Perhaps if we’d went down the loan to buy option, rather than giving Rangers the shop window, then he’d have been a Hibs player but that was in the Mathie era and things have changed. I’d suggest that Mathie fell on his sword with deals like McRorie falling through, especially when the owner was saying he was signing.

Our club will pay high wages to players that they truly believe will earn significant transfer income.

Going back to the OP the point is that there are absolutely players out there who can come in and do a brilliant job for Hibs. It’s nonsense to suggest that there aren’t players out there that wouldn’t come to Hibs for 4,5 and 6k a week fully knowing that if they do well here there next move is into the 15k-20k a week bracket which sets them up for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Greg Docherty would have been an exceptional signing. A shame we didn’t manage to keep him permanently as he’d have either made us a fortune or been exceptional, of that I’ve no doubt.
    I also thought he was excellent and, as you say, a real pity that we were not able to sign him permanently.

On a different matter, we have signed an unbelievable number of players so really need to see some exits to reduce our wage bill

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Enzo Zidane the son of Zinedine is currently looking for a club and has a decent record playing league 2 football in France and Spain. 12 goals and 20 assists in 171 professional matches

We could also go for Zinedine Ferhat who is an Algerian midfielder who has been playing in French League 2 with great stats 318 appearances, 29 goals and 82 assists.

Stick them together and we have Zinedine Zidane !

Seriously though, joking aside I like the look of Ferhat, i've no idea what wages he would be on in the French second Division, but all his highlights reels show him playing in front of empty stands, so if we put a package together I think we would have a certain appeal.

Testimonial Due
    It’s a nice game to play I agree but in the real world we have full time employees, football contacts in many different countries and access to many different databases and systems that we can use to filter through thousands of players.

They may also check Hibs.net as there’s a wee group who enjoy throwing in here a random name or two from those thousands of players….for fun.

Tom Rogic anyone…..(.)

Would tell him that our cloning experiment, at the top secret lab hidden under East Mains, is nearing maturation and he will have Boozy2.0, MattyJack2.0 and PatMcGinlay2.0 ready for the Norwich City game

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Enzo Zidane the son of Zinedine is currently looking for a club and has a decent record playing league 2 football in France and Spain. 12 goals and 20 assists in 171 professional matches

We could also go for Zinedine Ferhat who is an Algerian midfielder who has been playing in French League 2 with great stats 318 appearances, 29 goals and 82 assists.

Stick them together and we have Zinedine Zidane !

Seriously though, joking aside I like the look of Ferhat, i've no idea what wages he would be on in the French second Division, but all his highlights reels show him playing in front of empty stands, so if we put a package together I think we would have a certain appeal.
    Love these kind of suggestions

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Midfielders? We need a dominant left footed centre back who can jump. This idea playing Porteous or McLelland on the left makes these players look bad. This is not Van Dijk at Liverpool who is top class but Scottish centre backs that have to turn inside every time they play the ball to make a pass. Hibs have been crying out for a left footed centre back to challenge Hanlon for the past three seasons. Priority one before the season starts for real

I'd like a CB but I wouldn't say it's the top priority. Wingers/midfielders for me

I wouldn’t have let Omeonga go for a start. Well aware he wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but he’s head and shoulders better than the likes of JDH, Campbell & Newell.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by THESHIP View Post
    I wouldn’t have let Omeonga go for a start. Well aware he wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but he’s head and shoulders better than the likes of JDH, Campbell & Newell.
    Opinions eh, I thought he was pretty bang average, not exactly a fan of the three you mentioned either but if we are to improve we need better than them all, Omeonga included

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Campbell definitely but wouldnt say he is any better than JDH and certainly not better than newell, what does he do that the those 3 dont?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldot1981 View Post
    Campbell definitely but wouldnt say he is any better than JDH and certainly not better than newell, what does he do that the those 3 dont?
    I just personally think Omeonga controls the midfield better than any of those three. He had a bit of dig about him, could pick a pass and wasn’t afraid to drive with the ball. If I remember correctly, I think Livingston beat us 3 times last season. When they beat us 3-2 at Easter Road in January I thought he had a terrific game.

Understand football is all about opinions though, but I’d definitely have him over those three. Although they haven’t set a high benchmark.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldot1981 View Post
    Omeonga in my opinion moved the ball quicker, something all 3 mentioned struggle at. Passing the ball around slowly under no pressure is easy, i've had my fill of it with them doing it.

Omeonga is nothing special, and i wouldnt want him back, but he'd balance that midfield better if he was in it rather than Newell or Campbell in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Omeonga in my opinion moved the ball quicker, something all 3 mentioned struggle at. Passing the ball around slowly under no pressure is easy, i've had my fill of it with them doing it.

Omeonga is nothing special, and i wouldnt want him back, but he'd balance that midfield better if he was in it rather than Newell or Campbell in my opinion.
    I agree with that.

I don’t think Omeonga is the answer to our midfield woes. I don’t think the quality is there with him.

A very similar player of a higher standard though is exactly what we need imo.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I would buy the best central midfielder the budget can afford, and a decent left sided centre half, with another central striker if money could stretch to it.

In my dreams JDH, Newell and Campbell some how get to find new clubs and we get to take a chance/big risk and buy a few more central midfielders of quality.

Season prospects transformed.....

Omeonga was also good at snarling about trying to win the ball back whilst staying on his feet, even if he wasn't one for the big slide tackles.

I liked him, thought he was excellent and would 100% have had him back. IIRC he helped turn a dysfunctional midfield that wasn't entirely unlike our current one into a much better one.

TBF - it does seem harder than ever to come up with signing suggestions. Not sure exactly why that is - maybe because so many players are hoovered up by the OF and the big English clubs as youngsters, meaning it feels like there are fewer players than ever playing well at a decent level but who might fancy a move to us?

Omeonga probably gave the biggest come and get me piece I’ve ever seen and still we haven’t signed him.
    Exactly the type this midfield needs.I’d bite your hands off for him and horgan in the team.

As for the OP, I wouldn’t mind seeing a wee list of the players signed as midfielders and defenders over last few seasons because it doesn’t seem like much has stuck to the team in those positions,especially centre mids and centre backs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Omeonga probably gave the biggest come and get me piece I’ve ever seen and still we haven’t signed him.
    Exactly the type this midfield needs.I’d bite your hands off for him and horgan in the team.

As for the OP, I wouldn’t mind seeing a wee list of the players signed as midfielders and defenders over last few seasons because it doesn’t seem like much has stuck to the team in those positions,especially centre mids and centre backs.
    In defence there’s probably a bit of credit has to go to the defenders already here. We’ve had a decent defensive record for a couple of years now and they e seen off some not bad players in the likes of Adam Jackson etc.

In midfield though it’s really just been a sorry state of affairs with a lot of the signings. It’s been a problem area for years and has never been sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    It’s a nice game to play I agree but in the real world we have full time employees, football contacts in many different countries and access to many different databases and systems that we can use to filter through thousands of players.

They may also check Hibs.net as there’s a wee group who enjoy throwing in here a random name or two from those thousands of players….for fun.

Tom Rogic anyone…..(.)
    Rogic would amazing, has a hint of sauzee about him.
    Would love to see hibs show that type of ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    In defence there’s probably a bit of credit has to go to the defenders already here. We’ve had a decent defensive record for a couple of years now and they e seen off some not bad players in the likes of Adam Jackson etc.

In midfield though it’s really just been a sorry state of affairs with a lot of the signings. It’s been a problem area for years and has never been sorted.
    I thought Jackson was a good player.

Funny how strong we were in that position back then - Porteous emerging, McGregor and Hanlon in their prime, Efe on top of his game. Whittaker could play on the right of a 3 if required. And then Jackson.

Porto and and any one of the others should be good enough in a pair for us now but I think we're going to have a bit of work to be done in that position over the next few years to get decent depth and tactical options.

If we're not careful it has the potential to be a problem position.