hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I'm not sure what kind of message it would send to some of our young strikers working their bollocks off if we gave Griffiths a chance. We aren't a charity. If Griffiths couldn't get motivated to get in shape at the biggest club in Scotland not to mention Dundee and Falkirk, why is he worth a punt here?
    Last edited by Since452; 04-07-2022 at 11:52 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hopefully the scouting department don’t make decisions based on radio interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure what kind of message it would send to some of our young strikers working their bollocks off if we gave Griffiths a chance. We aren't a charity. If Griffiths couldn't get motivated to get in shape at the biggest club in Scotland not to mention Dundee and Falkirk, why is he worth a punt here?
    I’m assuming the idea is Griffiths would be expected to come in and work his bollocks off too (maybe even harder given the circumstances) so in that respect I don’t see it as much different to bringing in any striker, in terms of youngsters and their bollocks.

And I think some are hanging onto the talent that they seen from him a few years ago and thinking of the asset he would be should he find that level of fitness and form. And that’s why they see him as worth a punt.

Not that I agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Bring. Him. Home.
    To Parkhead? ER has never been his home. He didn’t take the opportunity of signing a permanent deal for us when he held all the cards in terms of wages, signing on fee etc.
    I loved his loan spells with us, that belongs in the past though. Unless we are in the business of offering training facilities and short term deals to every player in the league chasing their last chance then why would we touch him? If he was asked to choose between us and Celtic for a new deal Id wager a fee quid that he wouldn’t talk to us.
    Last edited by marinello59; 04-07-2022 at 02:18 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

I don't think Hibs would risk splitting the fanbase right now by bringing Griffiths back, and lets be honest, it would. There seems to be a bit of a feel good factor returning and it's quite refreshing.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62020366

Here he says that if it wasn’t for his agent, he’d probably retire.

Bless him, I know he wants to play football, but he’s admitting he still lacks the intrinsic motivation and desire to work for it.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post

Not just that, but even if he gets his work rate and motivation up now, what happens if in two months time he's back to his old ways?

Leigh is a player who needs to be loved and given a lot of attention for better or worse and back in 2012/2013 he was by a mile our best player so it was worth splitting the attention that much in his favour. Worth remembering he got himself into bother quite often back then, more than one suspension from giving GIRUYs or a middle finger into the stand IIRC.

Nowadays Leigh wouldn't even be our second or third choice striker and he'd be way more hassle than he's worth. If he could find a club where he'd be the clear #1 choice striker and put the work in then it might work out for him.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Bless him, I know he wants to play football, but he’s admitting he still lacks the intrinsic motivation and desire to work for it.
    "I'm being taught a lesson" So 3 managers have taken the risk and it didnt work. Getting over to somewhere like the indian or Oz league would be the best thing for him.

12 months ago before his 1 year extension at Celtic was given to him I did genuinely think we'd have done well to offer him the chance to do pre-season with us and get a deal here and compliment what we had in Nisbet and Doidge at that point. Since then his continuous slide as a professional, and even competent, footballer has accelerated at an incredible rate. I would prefer to stay well clear of him just from a pure footballing point of view and carry on trying to develop guys like Melkersen and focus on the potential of keeping Ellie Youan until Nisbet is back.

Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Not just that, but even if he gets his work rate and motivation up now, what happens if in two months time he's back to his old ways?

Leigh is a player who needs to be loved and given a lot of attention for better or worse and back in 2012/2013 he was by a mile our best player so it was worth splitting the attention that much in his favour. Worth remembering he got himself into bother quite often back then, more than one suspension from giving GIRUYs or a middle finger into the stand IIRC.

Nowadays Leigh wouldn't even be our second or third choice striker and he'd be way more hassle than he's worth. If he could find a club where he'd be the clear #1 choice striker and put the work in then it might work out for him.

Pat Fenlon would tell you he was very high maintenance back then, but as you say he was worth the hassle.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Listened to the interview earlier, sounds like his agent is more bothered than him to get back playing

Bring him home!

I hope this is the start of him turning things around, screwing the nut and actually trying to salvage something of whats left of his career. Good luck to him, i genuinely hope he manages to as there is no doubt the guy has talent and its always a shame to see that go to waste. that being said, i'm afraid its a no from me in regards to a hibs return. Just too much baggage for me and unfortunately controversy and trouble seems to never be too far away from him. Thats not what we need at the club when we are trying to get a settled squad, bringing in youngsters etc.

I feel bad saying it if im honest because Leigh gave everything for us when he was here but we can't just be a club players have to fall back on when things dont work out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Bring him home!

I don’t know where he lives but if I see him I’ll hail a cab and tell him to get to his bed!

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    i dont see why we dont give him a chance or at least let him train with us. Initially dont pay him a wage and we will see what the situation is. We are screaming out for someone who can put the ball in the net. if he isnt up to the standard he wont get a game but if he is hungry, i dont see any other club who could get the best out of him than his beloved Hibs.

IF he still has it he would be what we need. if his work rate isnt up to it then its a simple decision

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Does anyone think we'd have competition from another Premiership team who might want to take him on trial with a view to signing him if he's returned to his form of 4 years ago?

No?

Me neither.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Does anyone think we'd have competition from another Premiership team who might want to take him on trial with a view to signing him if he's returned to his form of 4 years ago?

No?

Me neither.

There isn't a team in the top two flights who would be looking at this as an unmissable opportunity IMO. I said before that Leigh is a player who needs to be loved and given a fair amount of attention and that can only really be justified if you're going to be the first name on the teamsheet and have a team built around you and if he could find a club where he's that then he's got a chance of making a comeback.

Having said that, Dundee should have been that club for him, and when it went tits up there then Falkirk should have been that club for him. I have no faith that even if he went to Lowland league level that it'll be the right move for him.

For Hibs to even give him a trial would be utterly ridiculous. He was with us nearly ten years ago. Stokes resigning for a third time turned out to be a terrible idea and he was only away a year after his loan spell in our cup run. This is nearly a decade and he just failed to cut the mustard in the third tier in his most recent role.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

So he comes in a few days a week for training (more if he wants), gets fit and his head together.

I don't get the downside for us or Leigh?

I work with a Falkirk fan who said he looked total class skill wise, just unfit.

Dundee and Falkirk were not able to motivate him, perhaps we are (perhaps not)?

Everyone wishing him the best but not with us, do you mean that?

Give him a chance, not talking about a contract, never mind an expensive one unless/until he is fit and focussed.

Quote Originally Posted by e2los View Post
    Why couldn't he, especially when he must have known Falkirk was last chance saloon?

So he comes in a few days a week for training (more if he wants), gets fit and his head together.

I work with a Falkirk fan who said he looked total class skill wise, just unfit.

Give him a chance, not talking about a contract, never mind an expensive one unless/until he is fit and focussed.
    Because the coaches are trying to knit together a new squad to take us forward and don’t have time to waste?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Because the coaches are trying to knit together a new squad to take us forward and don’t have time to waste?
    I'm pretty sure the new manager and his staff can do a little multi tasking, this is not Sean Maloney we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm pretty sure the new manager and his staff can do a little multi tasking, this is not Sean Maloney we have now.
    Why should they? I'd rather they were 100% focused on making us a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Why couldn't he, especially when he must have known Falkirk was last chance saloon?
    No idea mate, does anyone other than Leigh know?

I also don't know if there is something in some of us that empathises (to a point), with the tribulations of Griffiths, Deeks, Gary O'Connor etc..

No idea mate, does anyone other than Leigh know?

I also don't know if there is something in some of us that empathises (to a point), with the tribulations of Griffiths, Deeks, Gary O'Connor etc..
    Trust me, I do empathise with them. I also don't want us to sign them.

Its not his ability or fitness that puts me off, it's texting 15 year olds for pictures. We have girls teams, ladies teams, our players have daughters, we have female supporters. Griffith's is not a character who should represent Hibernian. He's honestly a creepy ****bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Its not his ability or fitness that puts me off, it's texting 15 year olds for pictures. We have girls teams, ladies teams, our players have daughters, we have female supporters. Griffith's is not a character who should represent Hibernian. He's honestly a creepy ****bag.
    How many times does it have to be said that he didn’t know her age? Which she has conceded?

You are acting like he is Saville or something. Give it a rest man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    How many times does it have to be said that he didn’t know her age? Which she has conceded?

You are acting like he is Saville or something. Give it a rest man.
    She was 3 years away from indecent photos being legal. Is he actually that ****ing stupid? Also, what is stopping him making that "mistake" again? He's never learned before.

Ignorance is no excuse anyway. Keep him miles away from this club.

Leigh Griffiths Interview

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    She was 3 years away from indecent photos being legal. Is he actually that ****ing stupid? Also, what is stopping him making that "mistake" again? He's never learned before.

Ignorance is no excuse anyway. Keep him miles away from this club.
    Ignorance is literally his excuse and it was a perfectly reasonable excuse to the police.

It is very possible she looked older online, especially with all the filters that can be used these days. But whatever, you don’t want him at the club because he might turn up and got full Weinstein on our girls under 12’s. He won’t be here anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Ignorance is literally his excuse and it was a perfectly reasonable excuse to the police.

It is very possible she looked older online, especially with all the filters that can be used these days. But whatever, you don’t want him at the club because he might turn up and got full Weinstein on our girls under 12’s. He won’t be here anyway so it doesn’t really matter.
    Not having enough to prosecute and not doing anything wrong are different things remember. Griffith's very much done something wrong.

I'm not comparing him to Weinstein or Saville. I'm saying I do not want him representing Hibs. If a story like this came out when he was here it would be disastrous for the club, especially as he has form. And he's ****ing useless these days anyway.

Bring him home!