hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    As part of the interview Griffiths was asked why a manager should trust him.

He was adamant that he had seen the errors of his ways and that wouldn’t be a problem.

I would rather ask James McPake who put trust in him at Dundee and look what happened to him.

I can’t believe that any contributors to .net are still willing to give him a chance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Griffiths wasn't a Hibs fan, no-one on here would want Hibs to take any interest in someone who has been so poor and unmotivated the last couple of seasons. And that's without considering the off-field baggage.
    Wrong, you dont speak for me. If he gets himself in shape, head and body and shows he is determined then to me its got **** all to do with him being a hibs fan but more to do with the ball at his feet

Anyway, its all ifs and buts, he wont be at hibs so you can rest easy 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Wrong, you dont speak for me. If he gets himself in shape, head and body and shows he is determined then to me its got **** all to do with him being a hibs fan but more to do with the ball at his feet
    And based on how poor and unmotivated he has been the last couple of seasons, what confidence would you have in that "if" coming true?

This is the 2022 Griffiths you'd be signing, not the one from five years ago.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    And based on how poor and unmotivated he has been the last couple of seasons, what confidence would you have in that "if" coming true?

This is the 2022 Griffiths you'd be signing, not the one from five years ago.
    That would be up to LJ to judge, not me

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    That would be up to LJ to judge, not me
    There's no chance LJ would touch him with a bargepole going by the sort of player (i.e. fit, hard working, professional and high energy) he's signed so far though.

It really astounds me that there's even a debate on this. A man who is currently not in a job says he's ready and motivated and willing to do a job, despite not being very good in his last two jobs and not being there for much longer than six months. Why on earth would anyone believe him?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The cynic in me thinks we have heard all this before. From him and plenty of others. When you hit your 30s the body is a lot less forgiving of the abuses, be that alcohol, food or just laziness. It probably shows up in elite sportspeople more than your average Joe. When you realise the former glories are gone then it's hard to keep the motivation.

The romantic in me thinks we should offer him training facilities and monitor his revival 1st hand. If he looks good, seems legit about sticking to it and Doidge moves on then give him a year.
    Thats exactly my thoughts, let him train with us and let the manager have a look at him, no harm in that.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Thats exactly my thoughts, let him train with us and let the manager have a look at him, no harm in that.

That is where I am too. I don't see the harm in giving him access to train at EM. LJ and his team can assess and decide yay or nay. Nothing to lose in my book.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    There's no chance LJ would touch him with a bargepole going by the sort of player (i.e. fit, hard working, professional and high energy) he's signed so far though.

It really astounds me that there's even a debate on this. A man who is currently not in a job says he's ready and motivated and willing to do a job, despite not being very good in his last two jobs and not being there for much longer than six months. Why on earth would anyone believe him?
    He is in last chance saloon, if he is true to his word and makes an effort to earn a wage then Im sure he will be judged on that, whether at hibs which I doubt or at another club. Good luck to him which ever path he chooses to follow

@hibs.net private member
    If LJ is interested we should have a look, if he’s not , I’m sure we won’t go anywhere near him….

He is in last chance saloon, if he is true to his word and makes an effort to earn a wage then Im sure he will be judged on that, whether at hibs which I doubt or at another club. Good luck to him which ever path he chooses to follow
    Last chance saloon must be a chain pub. He seems to be in one every job he signs up for post Celtic...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Last chance saloon must be a chain pub. He seems to be in one every job he signs up for post Celtic...
    Why is everyone quoting me ? Im not the only one on this thread willing to give him a chance

And once again, I dont think it will happen 👍

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Yep. If he couldn't see Falkirk - let alone Dundee - was his last chance to show what he could do then he doesn't deserve a further chance. You don't get chance after chance after chance in life to keep making the same mistake over and over.

What message does it say to younger players who we expect very high standards of if we also hand another chance and divide our attention further to someone who is for all intensive purposes a has been with very questionable motivation and whose most recent track record suggests he is not a Scottish League One quality striker, let alone a club with ambitions of top four in the Scottish Premiership?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Would be a very big mistake if we took a chance on him.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    There is a strong argument for offering him training for a good look at him.
    I agree, there is nothing to lose and possibly something to gain.
    Last edited by badabing67; 02-07-2022 at 06:34 PM.

He’s more of a Celtic fan anyway, kissing the Celtic badge and whatnot, maybe if he’s lucky Celtic will give him training facilities.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Would be a very big mistake if we took a chance on him.
    Agreed, fantastic player but time has moved on. He's had chances and not taken them and realised too late it's cost him. I hope he returns to a level he can play at and enjoy his football but he isn't going to improve Hibs or is worth taking a chance on..all in my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by the_ginger_hibee View Post
    He couldn't get motivated to help Celtic get to 10 in a row. Couldn't get motivated to earn a Scotland call-up in a Euros campaign, while we had 0 top-class strikers. Couldn't get motivated out of respect to Dundee, who took a chance on him. Or Falkirk, who employed him when nobody else would. Couldn't be arsed getting fit to prove everyone wrong or re-build his reputation ahead of a summer move. But all of a sudden now, now he's going to get motivated.
    So what? He obviously has issues. Maybe he was depressed and in a bad place. Now he isn’t and has the motivation?

If Griffiths wasn't a Hibs fan, no-one on here would want Hibs to take any interest in someone who has been so poor and unmotivated the last couple of seasons. And that's without considering the off-field baggage.
    Nah. If he wasn’t a hibs fan but had been as good as he was for us, I would definitely be interested.

I've got good money on the final words spoken by man before the sun burns itself out and the last remaining life on earth is extinguished being "Leigh Griffiths could still do a job for Hibs".

Quote Originally Posted by LongJohnBanger View Post
    I've got good money on the final words spoken by man before the sun burns itself out and the last remaining life on earth is extinguished being "Leigh Griffiths could still do a job for Hibs".
    and that man will be me.

#bringhimhome

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Sounds like he’s back to his fighting weight and has put the effort in to get back playing at a reasonable level. Found the interview very encouraging tbh. I was definitely in the ‘don’t touch him with a barge pole’ camp but no harm in letting him train with us for a few weeks to see what’s left in the tank.
    Totally agree. People have short memories.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

This is on the money, unfortunately.

No player gets a free pass because they grew up a Hibs fan. He can say what he likes in interviews, the reality is that he hasn’t looked in good shape for a long time now.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    A focussed Leigh could mean a very good season for us. A problematic Leigh could undo all the good work LJ has done so far.

Like others have said, I’d offer him training for a weeks or so and see what happens.

Those free kicks against England.. even I still get chills to this very day! All the best to Leigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The cynic in me thinks we have heard all this before. From him and plenty of others. When you hit your 30s the body is a lot less forgiving of the abuses, be that alcohol, food or just laziness. It probably shows up in elite sportspeople more than your average Joe. When you realise the former glories are gone then it's hard to keep the motivation.

The romantic in me thinks we should offer him training facilities and monitor his revival 1st hand. If he looks good, seems legit about sticking to it and Doidge moves on then give him a year.
    just started reading the thread this 100%

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ginger_hibee View Post
    He couldn't get motivated to help Celtic get to 10 in a row. Couldn't get motivated to earn a Scotland call-up in a Euros campaign, while we had 0 top-class strikers. Couldn't get motivated out of respect to Dundee, who took a chance on him. Or Falkirk, who employed him when nobody else would. Couldn't be arsed getting fit to prove everyone wrong or re-build his reputation ahead of a summer move. But all of a sudden now, now he's going to get motivated.
    Maybe he was having mental health issues and was struggling to focus.? Sounds like he has the bit between his teeth. Hope for his sake he has fought his demons and gets his life back in order. A bit backing from the right manager somewhere and he may get his mojo back.

I would definitely be up for hibs offering him training facilities to see how he is mentally and physically and see if they can help him along his recovery journey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    What part of “he didn’t realise she was that age” is hard to understand ??

Unfaithful to his partner sure - but this “kids” thing is way out of proportion…
    The "didnt realise what age" she was excuse is pathetic.

Testimonial Due
    The fact a Championship aren't even willing to take a punt on him tells you all you need know.

He needs to be playing for the Hibs, his boyhood club. He'll be all in.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    There’d be no harm in letting him train.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson