hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Leigh Griffiths Interview

Fascinating interview with him on Radio Scotland right now.

Apparently doing boxing training among other things while hoping his agent will get him a club. Certainly sounded the most grounded and coherent I've ever heard him be. At 31 I wonder if there isn't still a player in there if he could screw the nut.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I dont think giving him a chance at Hibs would be the end of the world, if he'd take a no play no pay deal?

bring him HOME!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Nope, nope, nope, thousand times nope.

Heard it too many times before. Failed to do the business at Falkirk and wouldn't do a job for us.

Considering the effort and work rate our young, professional and hungry players put in it would be an insult to potentially limit their game time from someone who didn't keep themselves to standard for the likes of Dundee or Falkirk.

His time for playing like a club like Hibs are long past, our standards for what is expected are far higher and frankly so should ours.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 02-07-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Not for me.

I'm excited about the young attacking talent we've brought in.

Griffiths presence would likely limit first team chances for some of them.

I'd rather progress the players we've signed than take a risk on Griffiths.

If he is is willing to get fit and put in the work he is undoubtedly talented enough to be an asset again.

Hibs could be the only club he would do that for due to him being a fan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think giving him a chance at Hibs would be the end of the world, if he'd take a no play no pay deal?
    Besides failing to make a go of it with clubs taking a chance on him, there’s a reason he’s finding it difficult to find a club. If we were ever to take a chance on him and he did something stupid again, the club would be seen to be lacking judgement. That’s the reality of the situation.

Hopefully he has screwed the nut and can find himself another club. It won’t be us though - and neither should it be. Far too many dreamers around here.

It is all about his head. If he thinks and acts like a proper athlete he has the talent to be a top player in Scotland for another few years. Sadly nothing he has done in the last few years shows that he is capable of that type of focus. I would love for him to have a swansong at Hibs, but I just don't see it.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    We heard all the same noises about Riordan and getting fit, still having something to offer etc after he wasn’t fit enough for a trial at somewhere like Hartlepool. If he proves his fitness and ability next season, and still wants to come back on terms weighted in Hibs favour maybe. Just now, wish him well but not for me.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Sounds like he’s back to his fighting weight and has put the effort in to get back playing at a reasonable level. Found the interview very encouraging tbh. I was definitely in the ‘don’t touch him with a barge pole’ camp but no harm in letting him train with us for a few weeks to see what’s left in the tank.

The cynic in me thinks we have heard all this before. From him and plenty of others. When you hit your 30s the body is a lot less forgiving of the abuses, be that alcohol, food or just laziness. It probably shows up in elite sportspeople more than your average Joe. When you realise the former glories are gone then it's hard to keep the motivation.

The romantic in me thinks we should offer him training facilities and monitor his revival 1st hand. If he looks good, seems legit about sticking to it and Doidge moves on then give him a year.

@hibs.net private member
    Sadly I think he is done. It's about 6/7 years since he was at his peak. I think if he was to really get himself fit again he'd do well enough in the Championship.

Wouldn't take Messi if he'd been texting kids for pictures never mind a washed up Leigh Griffiths. A genuinely brilliant player at this level and I hope he gets his **** together but I'd never ever want to see him representing my club again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Wouldn't take Messi if he'd been texting kids for pictures never mind a washed up Leigh Griffiths. A genuinely brilliant player at this level and I hope he gets his **** together but I'd never ever want to see him representing my club again.
    What part of “he didn’t realise she was that age” is hard to understand ??

Unfaithful to his partner sure - but this “kids” thing is way out of proportion…

@hibs.net private member
    If he got himself into genuine shape and stuck at it he could be playing until he is McGeady’s age. Sadly I think he will get fit and take the foot off the gas.

Can see the logic in a club giving him a 6 month deal etc.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Unfaithful to his partner sure - but this “kids” thing is way out of proportion…
    Exactly this. She’s even admitted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    If he is is willing to get fit and put in the work he is undoubtedly talented enough to be an asset again.

Hibs could be the only club he would do that for due to him being a fan.
    I agree, bring him in for training and put him in the reserves if he can cut it.

It would be up to Leigh then to become good enough again for a first team pick.

He is only 31 and could be worth a punt, even if he only manages a few 30min super sub appearances, I don't see much of a risk assuming the contract he gets is sensible.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by e2los View Post
    I agree, bring him in for training and put him in the reserves if he can cut it.

It would be up to Leigh then to become good enough again for a first team pick.

He is only 31 and could be worth a punt, even if he only manages a few 30min super sub appearances, I don't see much of a risk assuming the contract he gets is sensible.
    There is a strong argument for offering him training for a good look at him.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Exactly this. She’s even admitted that.
    It's pointless. I've tried to make this point so many times, some folk just won't have it.

I'd love nothing more than to post in the 'I was wrong' thread about thinking Leigh is done, but I just can't see it.

#bringhimhome

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    He couldn't get motivated to help Celtic get to 10 in a row. Couldn't get motivated to earn a Scotland call-up in a Euros campaign, while we had 0 top-class strikers. Couldn't get motivated out of respect to Dundee, who took a chance on him. Or Falkirk, who employed him when nobody else would. Couldn't be arsed getting fit to prove everyone wrong or re-build his reputation ahead of a summer move. But all of a sudden now, now he's going to get motivated.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    There is a strong argument for offering him training for a good look at him.
    Based on the last 12-24 months which is what any scouting should be based on, what argument is that?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Training facilities maybe as a helping hand, but no more than that. When we are looking to restore a sense of unity, signing Leigh would be hugely divisive.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Couldn't care less. Ignorance in my opinion isn't an excuse. I will never find what he done acceptable on any level.

She'd have to be 18 for soliciting indecent pictures from her to be legal. So a full 3 years older than she was. Seriously, the guy is a ****ing weirdo.

His behavior really needs to stop being defended because he was a good footballer for Hibs 10 years ago.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 02-07-2022 at 05:25 PM.

What a bargain.
    Short term deal

Not what we need in and around the dressing room unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Sounds like he’s back to his fighting weight and has put the effort in to get back playing at a reasonable level. Found the interview very encouraging tbh. I was definitely in the ‘don’t touch him with a barge pole’ camp but no harm in letting him train with us for a few weeks to see what’s left in the tank.
    Same, lets see him train, lets see his hunger to get back in the game

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Six month pay as you play deal with break clause if he causes any bother.

If Griffiths wasn't a Hibs fan, no-one on here would want Hibs to take any interest in someone who has been so poor and unmotivated the last couple of seasons. And that's without considering the off-field baggage.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.