hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

The Open Championship

After last weeks great event and finish in East Lothian who is getting it done this week?
    Koepka Fleetwood McIroy or Bob for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Too many to mention at this stage but going by the weather forecast, I'll be looking at the afternoon starters tomorrow/morning starters on Friday. That looks like the slightly favoured weather conditions at the moment.

Cam Smith, Hatton and Bob MacIntyre

Hope MacIntyre does it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve backed Cantlay (my usual) and Fowler. Along with a few each ways at large prices.

A very confident and competent start from Scheffler.

I'm enjoying this - birdies to be had, plenty of trouble to be had.

First couple of looks at the 17th and it looks very interesting - Herbert has managed to chip it from just off the green into the bunker, eventually take triple bogey 6 and drop back from the lead to even par. Looks like it's a great wee hole.
    Last edited by Smartie; 20-07-2023 at 10:25 AM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A very confident and competent start from Scheffler.

I'm enjoying this - birdies to be had, plenty of trouble to be had.

First couple of looks at the 17th and it looks very interesting - Herbert has managed to chip it from just off the green into the bunker, eventually take triple bogey 6 and drop back from the lead to even par. Looks like it's a great wee hole.
    I think Herbert disagrees.

@hibs.net private member
    Had a great day at the Open yesterday. Followed Jon Rahm around for his record breaking round. Unbelievable quality of golf he played

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    What is with Scheffler’s back foot when he’s striking the ball? I kept thinking he was slipping but it’s every shot!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    What is with Scheffler’s back foot when he’s striking the ball? I kept thinking he was slipping but it’s every shot!
    That's his swing.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Scottie Shuffler!

Always done it as far as I’m aware.

Weather should make today lively!

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    They've been very unlucky with the weather this week, it's almost seemed as though the rain systems have been aiming for the north of England. Throw in a low profile golfer running away with it and it's been a forgettable first three days.

Hopefully today might be a bit more interesting, but Harmon could par it home from here so it will need him to blow up to make it anyway interesting.

Rory on the rampage, and a bogey from Harman at the 2nd

Another dropped shot or 2 from Harman in the gorse and this will be a lot more interesting.

Harman is a steely character and I for one, hope he goes on to win.

His last six rounds in Open Championshio play have been :-

68, 68, 66 (last year) and 67,65, 69 this year. That's pretty impressive stuff to say the least.

Very solid from Harman, but it makes for pretty terrible television viewing unfortunately. Even the commentators sound bored.

None of the majors this year have been particularly memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Very solid from Harman, but it makes for pretty terrible television viewing unfortunately. Even the commentators sound bored.

None of the majors this year have been particularly memorable.
    I’ve fallen asleep twice.

Well played Brian Harman, he's played some brilliant golf in very testing conditions. He's been the master technician on a day when his golfing brain overcame the power players.

It didn't make for exciting viewing but that was simply because the chasing pack didn't exactly "chase!"

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Well played Brian Harman, he's played some brilliant golf in very testing conditions. He's been the master technician on a day when his golfing brain overcame the power players.

It didn't make for exciting viewing but that was simply because the chasing pack didn't exactly "chase!"
    His putting in particular was phenomenal.

Thoroughly deserved winner. As you say it was up to the others to match him and they never really got close. Folk say Jordan Speith isn't a crowd pleaser either but I enjoy watching both him and Harman (who also did well to ignore the flak from Tommy Fleetwood fans).

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

I’ll echo that. It was particularly farcical Nick Faldo and the commentary team trying to keep the tension going tilll the last hole. He could have taken 10 down the last and still won!!!! I didn’t half have a chuckle.

It was to Harman’s credit that it was a bit dull and if a more celebrated player (like Woods) had built a lead and defended it like that he’d be rightly lauded.

There was trouble out there, and it didn’t take the worst shot in the world to find a player either OB or running up strokes via bunker trouble.

I loved the first few days but as a spectacle it fell a bit short towards the end. That’s sometimes just the way it goes though.

Disappointed by the behaviour of some of the crowd towards Harman, most of it seemingly coming from fans of local favourite Fleetwood. Harman himself said some of the comments were 'unrepeatable'. Particularly poor was somebody shouting 'Miss it Brian!' as he stood over a putt, though you could also clearly hear somebody else shouting 'Shut up!'.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Disappointed by the behaviour of some of the crowd towards Harman, most of it seemingly coming from fans of local favourite Fleetwood. Harman himself said some of the comments were 'unrepeatable'. Particularly poor was somebody shouting 'Miss it Brian!' as he stood over a putt, though you could also clearly hear somebody else shouting 'Shut up!'.
    I quite like that once every couple of years golf gets a bit daft for the Ryder Cup and I like the 16th hole at Scottsdale but I think the Open Championship should be much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I quite like that once every couple of years golf gets a bit daft for the Ryder Cup and I like the 16th hole at Scottsdale but I think the Open Championship should be much better than that.
    Yeh, I'm not personally mad about the tribalism at the Ryder Cup but the players seem to thrive on it and it tends to be more centred around supporting your team rather than directing personal abuse at a player. No place for that in golf. I saw a bunch of Fleetwood fans carrying an Everton banner around and I did think that maybe the terrace/golf course mix doesn't really sit well.

That's been a problem at Open Championships in the north west of England previously. There were quite a few people thrown out for similar issues the last time it was at Hoylake in 2014. Doesn't seem to happen at the courses in Scotland thankfully.