hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I recall Stokes having a shocker v Motherwell in his first stint, and I stood up and shouted, "Yogi, get him off the park!"

Two minutes later Stokesy smashed one in from 25 yards.
    Up there with O'Connor's reaction to being replaced by Sproule at Ibrox.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wont say I was wrong, because I wasn't bothered about Maloney getting the tin tack and I wasn't critical of appointing LJ as his replacement either, not excited about it, but not disappointed either ... I'm usually pretty realistic about what sort of manager and players Hibs can attract / afford and a manager with LJ's record was probably just what I thought we would end up with .... in all honesty I thought some of the names folk were bandying about were never realistically going to happen.

In reality I don't think folk are getting carried away over the level of opposition we beat in the two friendlies, I would expect any Hibs team to give clubs from leagues 1 and 2 in England a contest and beat them at least 50% of the time, even half way through a season, never mind pre season, and I would be disappointed with any Hibs team that couldn't.

What is getting folk thinking positively and far more upbeat is not who we beat but the far more energetic and positive style of football we showed in both games and the fact that it seemed to suit some of our existing and new players far more than the chess like approach under Maloney.
    Melkersen showed excellent movement for both his goals which shows he can do it with good service. Youan looks strong and lively, Tavares looks like he could be tricky once fully up to speed, McGeady looks like he still has a bit of pace left and a few good moves still too, Hauge done himself no harm whatsoever and I thought the lad Delferriere looks like he has more than a bit of class about him, Miller looks a machine with a good touch and a tough tackle in him. The one guy I was looking forward to seeing most, Kenneh, was ok but he didn't stand out the way I'd hoped he would, I'm sure he'll improve though.

It was harder to judge the defenders because we were so much on top for most of both games, but young McClelland looked not bad on the ball. Most of the other established players played well, including Campbell and JDH which was pleasing .... and Lewis was, well just Lewis, be it a meaningless end of season game, a pre season friendly or a cup final all you ever get is 100% .. if he had had the skill and pace to go with his fantastic attitude he would have spent the last 10 years at Real Madrid not Hibs

In the end though nobody is kidding anybody, pre season friendlies count for very little, just ask Arsenal, and all we have at the moment are some positive signs that we might have found some players capable of making us a better team and a manager who knows ... A) what to do with them ... and B) not to try and put square pegs into round holes. It's fine to be positive after a good pre season, but we all know there are far more difficult tests to come and all we can hope is that the current good vibes are still there 11 games into the season. If there's one thing anybody who follows this club should have learned by now it's never to count your chickens before they've hatched.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 04-07-2022 at 01:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Wont say I was wrong, because I wasn't bothered about Maloney getting the tin tack and I wasn't critical of appointing LJ as his replacement either, not excited about it, but not disappointed either ... I'm usually pretty realistic about what sort of manager and players Hibs can attract / afford and a manager with LJ's record was probably just what I thought we would end up with .... in all honesty I thought some of the names folk were bandying about were never realistically going to happen.

In reality I don't think folk are getting carried away over the level of opposition we beat in the two friendlies, I would expect any Hibs team to give clubs from leagues 1 and 2 in England a contest and beat them at least 50% of the time, even half way through a season, never mind pre season, and I would be disappointed with any Hibs team that couldn't.

What is getting folk thinking positively and far more upbeat is not who we beat but the far more energetic and positive style of football we showed in both games and the fact that it seemed to suit some of our existing and new players far more than the chess like approach under Maloney.
    Melkersen showed excellent movement for both his goals which shows he can do it with good service. Youan looks strong and lively, Tavares looks like he could be tricky once fully up to speed, McGeady looks like he still has a bit of pace left and a few good moves still too, Hauge done himself no harm whatsoever and I thought the lad Delferriere looks like he has more than a bit of class about him, Miller looks a machine with a good touch and a tough tackle in him. The one guy I was looking forward to seeing most, Kenneh, was ok but he didn't stand out the way I'd hoped he would, I'm sure he'll improve though.

It was harder to judge the defenders because we were so much on top for most of both games, but young McClelland looked not bad on the ball. Most of the other established players played well, including Campbell and JDH which was pleasing .... and Lewis was, well just Lewis, be it a meaningless end of season game, a pre season friendly or a cup final all you ever get is 100% .. if he had had the skill and pace to go with his fantastic attitude he would have spent the last 10 years at Real Madrid not Hibs

In the end though nobody is kidding anybody, pre season friendlies count for very little, just ask Arsenal, and all we have at the moment are some positive signs that we might have found some players capable of making us a better team and a manager who knows ... A) what to do with them ... and B) not to try and put square pegs into round holes. It's fine to be positive after a good pre season, but we all know there are far more difficult tests to come and all we can hope is that the current good vibes are still there 11 games into the season. If there's one thing anybody who follows this club should have learned by now it's never to count your chickens before they've hatched.
    👏 👏 👏

@hibs.net private member
    As one of the minority that favoured Lee's appointment its not so much a matter of admitting I was wrong as being convinced I was right! A bit early to know after 2 friendlies, but the signs are encouraging - he speaks well and the style he favours looks attractive and has yielded results. The signings LOOK positive and (dare I say it) exciting! The proof of the pudding though, will be in the consumption of routine league and Cup fixtures and how our new look side performs in them. I'm looking forward to the Clyde game with a sense of cautious optimism!

I thought Shefki Kuqi would do a job for us.

I think not being in Europe and having the league cup games will be a blessing in disguise for us this season. Will give Lee a chance to get his ideas over and get the players used to his system in competitive games that we'll win pretty comfortably imo. I think it gave Hearts a good platform to build on last season.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I think not being in Europe and having the league cup games will be a blessing in disguise for us this season. Will give Lee a chance to get his ideas over and get the players used to his system in competitive games that we'll win pretty comfortably imo. I think it gave Hearts a good platform to build on last season.
    Was saying exactly this to my Dad yesterday. Happy to have the LC group stage, good way to build confidence and get up to speed for the SPL campaign, and if things go very right, for some players to get in good scoring form early on.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I thought Shefki Kuqi would do a job for us.
    I thought Rowan Vine would as well.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

I changed my score forecast from 5-0 to 2-0 for the Clyde game 😡

I thought the decision to make the East Stand single tier, and not a mirror image of the West Stand, was a good idea.

Having read the Safe Standing thread, I now realise how wrong I was.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Great post.