hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sadly not, I absolutely nailed that. Off to mid table league 2 Salford now, Hibs was as good as it will ever get for him. Looked great on youtube and started well, but was hopeless otherwise.
    Hopeless is such an lazy exaggeration..was he hopeless when he fed in Horgan for the second at Tynie ? we didn’t have the players to allow a luxury like Mallan play in the first 11 - as a result he was asked to do a shift that was not to his strengths …

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Sadly not, I absolutely nailed that. Off to mid table league 2 Salford now, Hibs was as good as it will ever get for him. Looked great on youtube and started well, but was hopeless otherwise.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Way, way too early to have removed all doubt. A few more decent signings and a couple of inevitable departures, we can come back to this in a month or so.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Just copy and paste your post to someone else a few mins ago........Certainly wasn't hopeless. Average I'd say. There is a middle ground between Martin Scott and John Mcginn you know.........

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Just copy and paste your post to someone else a few mins ago........Certainly wasn't hopeless. Average I'd say. There is a middle ground between Martin Scott and John Mcginn you know.........
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Hopeless is such an lazy exaggeration..was he hopeless when he fed in Horgan for the second at Tynie ? we didn’t have the players to allow a luxury like Mallan play in the first 11 - as a result he was asked to do a shift that was not to his strengths …
    Sorry, you are actually correct. He wasn't hopeless. Still offered a bit of a goal threat and turned up vs the poor sides of the league. But wasn't very good, lets say that. Certainly done nothing since to prove me wrong.
    Always funny when folk don't actually read threads

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Nobody likes admitting it, but a thread for those who have been critical of the club to atone and change your mind on where you think the club is heading!

Quite happy to admit that I think I was wrong on my initial impressions of Lee Johnson when his name came up. Thought he was someone who had failed down south and wanted up here thinking it was a bit of a pub league and was put off by comments from Sunderland fans about him. Think he's a positive, energetic manager who for the first time in a while has come in with chat about attacking football but actually is able to show evidence to back up that he is capable of getting the team playing in such a fashion. Think that we could have quite an exciting season ahead of us.

Also it's early days but I thought for a while that the recruitment team headed up by Iain Gordon didn't have a ****ing scooby. Still think that the winter window was an absolute shambles and didn't address the glaring problems in the team but I think there are green shoots that we may have a good squad and an interesting strategy on our hands. If the "option to buy" clauses are watertight for the likes of Youan and Boujang then they're as good as a risk free 'try before you buy' and streets ahead of some of the signings we had in the winter window on paper. We're probably in need of two or three players to really complete the squad IMO - a CB, a winger and another striker, but if we get first team quality players then we're in a really good place. If we can get some of our youngsters like Brydon, Laidlaw and more coming through as well then I'll be even happier but we seem to be really doing things a bit differently and there's a chance in Miller, Tavares, Youan etc. that we might have gotten ourselves some players who can light up the stands as well as perform on the pitch.

Also think that Bushiri might just have a role to play. Thought he was dreadful for a lot of last season but if he can keep it simple and learn how to use his physical attributes to the maximum then he may have a role here.

I think all in all, it's fair to say that top to bottom at the club it's time for a clean slate. Last season was horrendous and I've never felt as unenthused or negative about Hibernian but even from two pre season friendlies, it's only fair to let this new squad and management team to implement their ideas, make mistakes, make some more mistakes but also to grow and bond.

I'd also be keen to see if others are feeling the same as it's fair to say that there's a very different atmosphere around the board in this last fortnight than for most of last season.
    Why don’t we all be a bit patient and see how the season actually goes instead of making rash statements one way or the other.

Stay on the train and see where it takes us.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Why don’t we all be a bit patient and see how the season actually goes instead of making rash statements one way or the other.

Stay on the train and see where it takes us.
    I don’t think it’s rash to say that enough doubt has been raised in my head to take a step or two back from my previously set in stone opinion and I’m happy to have a clean slate for all involved.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    I thought Dylan McGeouch was a pish signing.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Yeah. Infact, very few of Stubbs early signings had this forum excited. Gray, McGeouch on loan, big Fonts and Malonga coming in a few weeks after the season started. Only really Farid had us excited and sadly he ended up being the worst one (not his fault of course)

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    When we went to Maribor and left Stokes & Riordan on the bench I thought we had a great chance... 😉
    Remember being seething when getting to the ground and finding out Stokes & Riordan were on the bench.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Remember being seething when getting to the ground and finding out Stokes & Riordan were on the bench.
    To be honest, i could see the thinking behind it, neither were great at doing the dirty stuff, and we were under the cosh a lot that night, who knows we might have done better, but on the flip side we could have got hammered more?

I thought Craig Brewster would be an excellent signing for Hibs I was wrong.

Every Saturday I put a fiver on Liam Fontaine to score for us. Apart from the two games he scored for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Every Saturday I put a fiver on Liam Fontaine to score for us. Apart from the two games he scored for us.
    If you hadn't kept putting bets on him we'd have had a thirty-odd goal a season defender and wouldn't have spent so long in the second tier.

I can't even look at you

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The problem with McGeouch, and this is somewhat topical, is that everyone had themselves worked up that it was Griffiths coming. Hibs tried really hard to get LG on loan, there were all kinds of rumours, we knew someone was coming from Celtic and then it was announced as Dylan. A recipe for disappointment.

He turned out ok though.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    I thought Craig Brewster would be an excellent signing for Hibs I was wrong.
    Brewster was a good signing for us, and a huge loss after he left.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Sorry, you are actually correct. He wasn't hopeless. Still offered a bit of a goal threat and turned up vs the poor sides of the league. But wasn't very good, lets say that. Certainly done nothing since to prove me wrong.

Had a brilliant game at ER vs Celtic as a deep-lying playmaker type and just seemed to never be able to replicate that whenever he was played deeper.

Always feel like we would have got more out of Mallan used as a 10. Even if it was just goals because he could finish and strike a ball, but too often wasn't in the position to hit it. Have him higher up and closer around the edge of the box and think he'd have scored a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Brewster was a good signing for us, and a huge loss after he left.
    So I'm wrong again then.🙂

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    So I'm wrong again then.🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    On a personal level I liked Jack Ross but think at the end it was time for him to go.

What I hated about Shaun Maloney is it always felt he was playing at being a manager. From the change of sign on his office door from first team coach or head coach to just 'manager', talking about how much fun he was having as manager, signing that fitness coach because he was "fascinated" by him, hiring an ex journo to his team, Caldwell, the bizarre January window, playing players out of position all the time and not to their strengths, insisting on sticking with tactics that simply do not work in this league, saying how he's super happy about elements of performances directly after offering the fans some absolutely wretched 'football' where we could be seen as lucky if we got to witness a shot on goal and the stories that have come out since about PAs and the like. I got the feeling or impression that he thought he was bigger than the job and was doing us a favour by being here and whether or not that was the case, that was the general feeling I got about his stint as manager. Being honest, I wanted him punted by the time February came along. I'm disappointed it took so long for others to see it as those of us who seen that the Emperor had no clothes on got a fair bit of stick but I think most people seen it in the end.

I almost think it's the other way around with Lee Johnson. I think he's excited to be here. I really like that he attended two games in the stands before signing up. I like how engaged he's been with fans. I like how enthusiastic he is. I like that he wants us to play entertaining football and I like how in the evidence we've had so far he understands what that means. I like how he's house hunting up here. I think it looks like he's seeking the players - and fans - to buy into his ideas and to work with them. I like his signings. I think he'll look to get the best out of the players that we have here and I'm encouraged to see Newell, JDH, Campbell all looking like more the players we know they can be in the two games so far.

It really is early doors to make a proper judgment on LJ and the club but I'm already willing to admit that I may well have been wrong and that comes from the fact that things feel different from last season already. That's what I wanted to feel from this team this season - I said on the "what is a successful season" thread that it's a more emotional answer this year than logical or statistical - if we finish 6th for example but play exciting, entertaining football and I look forward to heading to the next game then that's a massive improvement for me (although the following season I'd want much better than 6th).
    So you wanted Maloney out by early February , barely a month after he`d taken over a team in crisis without huge advantage of spending a pre season with squad , had lost its best player on last day of window and then had numerous bad injuries to vital players and now suddenly rate LJ after a couple of friendlies with numerous substitutions against weak opposition . Seems you were more upset by signs on doors and impressions of persons than managerial know how . Anyway what we all want as Hibs fans is success ( good results and entertaining play ) whoever is manager so hopefully LJ will be given time which wasn`t given to his predecessors to put his ideas in to practice . He`s inherited a motivated squad ( despite the result at Hampden in semi ,noone could question motivated display Maloney got out of his depleted squad that day and others ) and got a few promising new signings to strengthen squad while key injured players recover and has advantage of pre season and LC group matches to prepare squad for league campaign . Our managers who have been remembered as successes this century started in summer so hopefully LJ joins that list .

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I thought Stevie Mallan would be excellent, was really excited by his signing

Props to you, you’ve responded in the spirit of the thread.

Don’t get drawn into another extended row though, please!!!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    So you wanted Maloney out by early February , barely a month after he`d taken over a team in crisis without huge advantage of spending a pre season with squad , had lost its best player on last day of window and then had numerous bad injuries to vital players and now suddenly rate LJ after a couple of friendlies with numerous substitutions against weak opposition . Seems you were more upset by signs on doors and impressions of persons than managerial know how . Anyway what we all want as Hibs fans is success ( good results and entertaining play ) whoever is manager so hopefully LJ will be given time which wasn`t given to his predecessors to put his ideas in to practice . He`s inherited a motivated squad ( despite the result at Hampden in semi ,noone could question motivated display Maloney got out of his depleted squad that day and others ) and got a few promising new signings to strengthen squad while key injured players recover and has advantage of pre season and LC group matches to prepare squad for league campaign . Our managers who have been remembered as successes this century started in summer so hopefully LJ joins that list .

*cough*

So… what have you got wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Maloney was ****ing pish mate and where I'll always admit where I got something wrong, I was bang on the button as soon as it started to go wrong, a manager needs to adapt and know how to manage a squad and he didn't have a ****ing scooby. Way, way more interested in his incredible vision, arrogant enough to seemingly not realise that you have to earn the time in the job and results proved my point completely.

I thought the signing of Mixu Paatelainen at (?) 32 when we were toiling in the First Division was an act of absolute desperation for a side in deep trouble and the last thing we needed at the time.

It was arguably one of our most important and successful ever signings and started a momentum shift back in a positive direction that would subsequently be built upon very nicely.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not Hibs related but I said on here that Andy Robertson was a crap signing for Liverpool and well below the standard they should be looking at 😀

I recall Stokes having a shocker v Motherwell in his first stint, and I stood up and shouted, "Yogi, get him off the park!"

Two minutes later Stokesy smashed one in from 25 yards.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    David Murphy. He was blowing out his arse during his first game and gave up chasing a ball down. I remember thinking that he was a lazy unfit waste of a Jersey.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Far too early to say.

Whilst the pre season games were enjoyable, Hartlepool were absolutely terrible and looked like they were about League One/bottom end Championship standard up here.

Button, whilst a good bit better, still weren’t a great side.

They’re also only pre season friendlies. We’ll get a better idea over the League Cup games and then the proof will really be in the pudding when the league starts.
    Also need to take into account we are likely to be much further on preparation wise given we are playing competitive games earlier.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    After the cup win, promotion and a top three finish I thought we were in for a sustained period of top four finishes and European football . I was wrong.

Blog Entries
    I hope this continues as an ‘I was wrong’ thread and doesn’t morf into an ‘I told you so!’ thread. My arse is sore sitting on the fence.