hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's far too early off course, but the signs are very encouraging.

This time last year, I felt that we needed to sign more depth to the squad to cover for when players were injured or lost form, but we didn't. That I felt was the reason we played so poorly. This year, I feel we need to sign the leaders in the team, when "two nil down at Tynie" the players who are going to man up and get us on the front foot.

I knew very little about LJ, but I've been impressed with the way the team has played in the two friendlies. There is much more of an attractive style of play compared to SM's team. That said, I felt JR tried the pressing game early in last season, but that didn't last long maybe because of the injuries that I mentioned earlier.

I have also been encouraged by the way certain players have clearly improved since last season - Melkerson, Campbell, Rocky etc. Still early days, but I'm impressed. Also, those coming in are obviously an upgrade on the players that have left such as Wright, Scott, Jasper, McGinn.

However, my major concern is what happens if we're two nil down at Easter Road, which will happen at some point. Do we have the leaders in the team to turn us around. Maybe a bizarre way to think about it, but who are the leaders in our team?
    Porteous, Kenneh Marshall, McGeady and possibly Newell (when playing like the evening Derby last season) will all lead by example but I do agree with you, a Shinnie / Bartley type would really be beneficial to the side we are trying to build.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Judging after 2 pre-season games? Should we be doing that if we had had two shocking pre-season games? What would we make of Jim Duffy after his start to the league after 3 proper games in 97/98?

I'm certainly one who has been sceptical of the recruitment (based on what has gone before) and it will be great if I am wrong and I can really enjoy games at ER. I always think that teams can play well in the late summer months then collapse a bit over autumn as pitches deteriorate. Let's just see what happens before rushing to any judgement.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Judging after 2 pre-season games? Should we be doing that if we had had two shocking pre-season games? What would we make of Jim Duffy after his start to the league after 3 proper games in 97/98?

I'm certainly one who has been sceptical of the recruitment (based on what has gone before) and it will be great if I am wrong and I can really enjoy games at ER. I always think that teams can play well in the late summer months then collapse a bit over autumn as pitches deteriorate. Let's just see what happens before rushing to any judgement.

Posters are just enjoying some positive signs after a difficult period….it’s good that people have some hope back…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Glad to see some positivity back amongst the fans. Hopefully keep building on it in the league cup games.

Hopefully we’ll see you again on this thread soon enough saying you were wrong.

One swallow does not make a summer however the signs are there to see on the style of football LJ is trying to achieve. It is night and day to the previous incumbent.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar

This place would be in absolute meltdown if we had lost those 2 games.

Am I picking this up wrong or has this thread been inspired by the fact we've won two very early pre-season friendlies against lower league English teams?

I'm actually of the opinion that our new Manager seems a decent appointment, so I'm not even one of the target audience that needs to be won over, but even I think this is all a bit premature.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 02-07-2022 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    This place would be in absolute meltdown if we had lost those 2 games.
    Correct and the fact we have won them with a bit of style and swagger is enough to see what at least LJ is trying to do.

This years recruitment looks good too. A couple more of important signings and this season will surely not be as depressing as last season.

I’ve always said i and think most hibs fans accept we will always lose a game or three but for me it’s the manner of the defeat.

If they give they’re all and just can’t score on the day - it happens

It’s the losses when the heads go down and the towel is chucked that makes me think unforgivable that happened under Ross at the end and maloney.

If LJ has the trust of the players and fans I think it will be potentially a fun season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    I’ve always said i and think most hibs fans accept we will always lose a game or three but for me it’s the manner of the defeat.

It’s the losses when the heads go down and the towel is chucked that makes me think unforgivable that happened under Ross at the end and maloney.

If LJ has the trust of the players and fans I think it will be potentially a fun season.
    This for me, I honestly didn’t really mind who came in as manager, but from the 2 games we have seen there is an intensity to the way we want to play which will lead to winning the ball higher up the park and should in theory create more chances

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Thank **** we didn't get Roy Keane
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think when we were playing ***** football and losing most games his antics and ranting would have gotten very boring very quickly.
    Getting beat with a crap manager is boring.
    That could still be the case with LJ and might not have been the case with Keane.

@hibs.net private member

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I didn’t want Scott Allan to return for a 2nd stint at the club. I was very wrong about that.

Interesting thread. Hilarious how few posters answer the question, and just use it as another opportunity to declare how right they are about everything.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    That could still be the case with LJ and might not have been the case with Keane.

The only people to bring up Keane in the last 2 months are folk who didn't want him. Everyone else has moved on and is fully behind LJ.

Sums it up nicely.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    No way of proving otherwise, but it's absolutely how it would have turned out under Keane.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I didn’t want Scott Allan to return for a 2nd stint at the club. I was very wrong about that.

Interesting thread. Hilarious how few posters answer the question, and just use it as another opportunity to declare how right they are about everything.

I thought Stevie Mallan would be excellent, was really excited by his signing

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

On a personal level I liked Jack Ross but think at the end it was time for him to go.

What I hated about Shaun Maloney is it always felt he was playing at being a manager. From the change of sign on his office door from first team coach or head coach to just 'manager', talking about how much fun he was having as manager, signing that fitness coach because he was "fascinated" by him, hiring an ex journo to his team, Caldwell, the bizarre January window, playing players out of position all the time and not to their strengths, insisting on sticking with tactics that simply do not work in this league, saying how he's super happy about elements of performances directly after offering the fans some absolutely wretched 'football' where we could be seen as lucky if we got to witness a shot on goal and the stories that have come out since about PAs and the like. I got the feeling or impression that he thought he was bigger than the job and was doing us a favour by being here and whether or not that was the case, that was the general feeling I got about his stint as manager. Being honest, I wanted him punted by the time February came along. I'm disappointed it took so long for others to see it as those of us who seen that the Emperor had no clothes on got a fair bit of stick but I think most people seen it in the end.

I almost think it's the other way around with Lee Johnson. I think he's excited to be here. I really like that he attended two games in the stands before signing up. I like how engaged he's been with fans. I like how enthusiastic he is. I like that he wants us to play entertaining football and I like how in the evidence we've had so far he understands what that means. I like how he's house hunting up here. I think it looks like he's seeking the players - and fans - to buy into his ideas and to work with them. I like his signings. I think he'll look to get the best out of the players that we have here and I'm encouraged to see Newell, JDH, Campbell all looking like more the players we know they can be in the two games so far.

It really is early doors to make a proper judgment on LJ and the club but I'm already willing to admit that I may well have been wrong and that comes from the fact that things feel different from last season already. That's what I wanted to feel from this team this season - I said on the "what is a successful season" thread that it's a more emotional answer this year than logical or statistical - if we finish 6th for example but play exciting, entertaining football and I look forward to heading to the next game then that's a massive improvement for me (although the following season I'd want much better than 6th).
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 02-07-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    This is a collectors item

All those years ago I thought we were wrong to spend what we did on Andy Goram, couldn't have been more wrong

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I thought Boyle was too raw and ultimately too limited. Couldn’t foresee just how much he would develop and work on his final ball to the level he is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    No way of proving otherwise, but it's absolutely how it would have turned out under Keane.
    That's just like me saying Keane would have absolutely been a huge success.

When we went to Maribor and left Stokes & Riordan on the bench I thought we had a great chance... 😉

First Team Breakthrough
    Always remember a guy sitting in front of me after Simon Murray had scored goals against lower league teams in the Betfred Cup Group Stages and getting the winning goal against the Jambos in the first derby of the 2017 - 2018 season saying “see that Simon Murray,always thought he was a great signing”.

Wonder if he thought the same when Lenny shipped Murray out in the next transfer window.

What's even more wrong than that is your assertion that Mallen was a passenger in a Hibs jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Always remember a guy sitting in front of me after Simon Murray had scored goals against lower league teams in the Betfred Cup Group Stages and getting the winning goal against the Jambos in the first derby of the 2017 - 2018 season saying “see that Simon Murray,always thought he was a great signing”.

Wonder if he thought the same when Lenny shipped Murray out in the next transfer window.
    Murray was still a pretty good signing to be fair!

My worst one was thinking Kenny Miller would never be good enough for us.

What's even more wrong than that is your assertion that Mallen was a passenger in a Hibs jersey.
    Sadly not, I absolutely nailed that. Off to mid table league 2 Salford now, Hibs was as good as it will ever get for him. Looked great on youtube and started well, but was hopeless otherwise.

Sadly not, I absolutely nailed that. Off to mid table league 2 Salford now, Hibs was as good as it will ever get for him. Looked great on youtube and started well, but was hopeless otherwise.
    He wasn’t hopeless. Again I don’t understand why people have to use such extreme langue when describing players.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    He wasn’t hopeless. Again I don’t understand why people have to use such extreme langue when describing players.
    Sorry, you are actually correct. He wasn't hopeless. Still offered a bit of a goal threat and turned up vs the poor sides of the league. But wasn't very good, lets say that. Certainly done nothing since to prove me wrong.