hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

The "I Was Wrong" thread, a chance to add your own

Nobody likes admitting it, but a thread for those who have been critical of the club to atone and change your mind on where you think the club is heading!

Quite happy to admit that I think I was wrong on my initial impressions of Lee Johnson when his name came up. Thought he was someone who had failed down south and wanted up here thinking it was a bit of a pub league and was put off by comments from Sunderland fans about him. Think he's a positive, energetic manager who for the first time in a while has come in with chat about attacking football but actually is able to show evidence to back up that he is capable of getting the team playing in such a fashion. Think that we could have quite an exciting season ahead of us.

Also it's early days but I thought for a while that the recruitment team headed up by Iain Gordon didn't have a ****ing scooby. Still think that the winter window was an absolute shambles and didn't address the glaring problems in the team but I think there are green shoots that we may have a good squad and an interesting strategy on our hands. If the "option to buy" clauses are watertight for the likes of Youan and Boujang then they're as good as a risk free 'try before you buy' and streets ahead of some of the signings we had in the winter window on paper. We're probably in need of two or three players to really complete the squad IMO - a CB, a winger and another striker, but if we get first team quality players then we're in a really good place. If we can get some of our youngsters like Brydon, Laidlaw and more coming through as well then I'll be even happier but we seem to be really doing things a bit differently and there's a chance in Miller, Tavares, Youan etc. that we might have gotten ourselves some players who can light up the stands as well as perform on the pitch.

Also think that Bushiri might just have a role to play. Thought he was dreadful for a lot of last season but if he can keep it simple and learn how to use his physical attributes to the maximum then he may have a role here.

I think all in all, it's fair to say that top to bottom at the club it's time for a clean slate. Last season was horrendous and I've never felt as unenthused or negative about Hibernian but even from two pre season friendlies, it's only fair to let this new squad and management team to implement their ideas, make mistakes, make some more mistakes but also to grow and bond.

I'd also be keen to see if others are feeling the same as it's fair to say that there's a very different atmosphere around the board in this last fortnight than for most of last season.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The 2 pre season games have been enjoyable, and i didn’t think that many times last season.

Very early days but I like Johnson and his thoughts on the game. I can fully understand why the board were so impressed by him. Feel a bit guilty about initially wanting the "big name". Unlike Maloney he has a track record to back the talk up. Very excited about this season.
    Last edited by Since452; 01-07-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Good post. I didn’t want LJ but I was prepared to give him a chance. So far, so good. We seem to be addressing the massive issues we had last season and trying to play good football.

He also seems a very likeable guy and I feel like he might connect with the club and fans like Stubbs/Lennon were able to do in recent times.

Only 2 games in pre-season but the signs are good. Really looking forward to the Clyde game and seeing these boys in person.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody likes admitting it, but a thread for those who have been critical of the club to atone and change your mind on where you think the club is heading!

Quite happy to admit that I think I was wrong on my initial impressions of Lee Johnson when his name came up. Thought he was someone who had failed down south and wanted up here thinking it was a bit of a pub league and was put off by comments from Sunderland fans about him. Think he's a positive, energetic manager who for the first time in a while has come in with chat about attacking football but actually is able to show evidence to back up that he is capable of getting the team playing in such a fashion. Think that we could have quite an exciting season ahead of us.

Also it's early days but I thought for a while that the recruitment team headed up by Iain Gordon didn't have a ****ing scooby. Still think that the winter window was an absolute shambles and didn't address the glaring problems in the team but I think there are green shoots that we may have a good squad and an interesting strategy on our hands. If the "option to buy" clauses are watertight for the likes of Youan and Boujang then they're as good as a risk free 'try before you buy' and streets ahead of some of the signings we had in the winter window on paper. We're probably in need of two or three players to really complete the squad IMO - a CB, a winger and another striker, but if we get first team quality players then we're in a really good place. If we can get some of our youngsters like Brydon, Laidlaw and more coming through as well then I'll be even happier but we seem to be really doing things a bit differently and there's a chance in Miller, Tavares, Youan etc. that we might have gotten ourselves some players who can light up the stands as well as perform on the pitch.

Also think that Bushiri might just have a role to play. Thought he was dreadful for a lot of last season but if he can keep it simple and learn how to use his physical attributes to the maximum then he may have a role here.

I think all in all, it's fair to say that top to bottom at the club it's time for a clean slate. Last season was horrendous and I've never felt as unenthused or negative about Hibernian but even from two pre season friendlies, it's only fair to let this new squad and management team to implement their ideas, make mistakes, make some more mistakes but also to grow and bond.

I'd also be keen to see if others are feeling the same as it's fair to say that there's a very different atmosphere around the board in this last fortnight than for most of last season.
    I think its very, very early to be making any judgements on the manager or recruitment.

We've played two early pre season friendlies. We've looked good and I like the buzz around the place but I'll be reserving judgment until at least early 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I think its very, very early to be making any judgements on the manager or recruitment.

We've played two early pre season friendlies. We've looked good and I like the buzz around the place but I'll be reserving judgment until at least early 2023.
    Agree. Some positive signs from plenty players and we’re definitely going to try and play in a much more positive way.

Think we can be optimistic but far too early to know whether we’ve done good business or not. I remember thinking James Scott looked good on his debut up at Dundee last season and being well impressed with Maloney’s first two games.

Good post.
    Hopefully not but I think this thread will disintegrate fast.

I don't think anyone would be wrong to think last season wasn't a **** show. Definite signs of turning it around though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    I don't think anyone would be wrong to think last season wasn't a **** show.
    I think they would be. 😉

So people keep saying the winter window was a "shambles " etc but it turns out that Bushiri, the 2 Norwegians and Delferriere are in fact good players just as most were disappointed to see Clarke leave and most rate Mitchell . Jasper showed enough to see why we signed him at least . So in fact good players were signed in winter , problem was that some were signed for devt team and injury crisis forced them to be played too soon . Mueller the disappointment perhaps . Far too soon to know how strong / weak squad is but good to read positive comments for a change .With just normal injuries we would have finished a comfortable 4th and maybe made SC final last season . We`d be preparing for Europe with some of the same new signings we got this summer - Marshall , McGeady ,...with old manager enjoying benefits of full pre season and new signings .
    As a general point good when someone recognises their opinion was mistaken or rushed .

Thank **** we didn't get Roy Keane

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Thank **** we didn't get Roy Keane
    Would've been an absolute car crash right enough but you must admit it wouldn't have been boring.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berry View Post
    Would've been an absolute car crash right enough but you must admit it wouldn't have been boring.

I think when we were playing ***** football and losing most games his antics and ranting would have gotten very boring very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berry View Post

Getting beat with a crap manager is boring.

I personally don't take much notice of pre-season friendlies either way so it's hard for me to comment on whether I was wrong or not. Although having said that it's clearly nice to see us winning both games in Portugal and apparently playing well too (I say apparently as I didn't see either game as I was working).

For me the hard work starts a week tomorrow and that's when I'll judge the team from. Qualifying from the group with 12 points is a must and then hopefully we can start the league season well too.

I still think we're short of a few players but we'll see.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I personally don't take much notice of pre-season friendlies either way so it's hard for me to comment on whether I was wrong or not. Although having said that it's clearly nice to see us winning both games in Portugal and apparently playing well too (I say apparently as I didn't see either game as I was working).

For me the hard work starts a week tomorrow and that's when I'll judge the team from. Qualifying from the group with 12 points is a must and then hopefully we can start the league season well too.

I still think we're short of a few players but we'll see.
    I'd like to see another striker in.

Yes its very early and we have to wait and see, but then again it wasnt too early for some posters to have a very negative opinion before the new manager and new players started??

Bushiri.

I was disappointed that we made such a mess of his loan deal that we were committed to buying someone who clearly wasn't good enough and then compounded the error with the negative tone of the announcement that he'd been signed permanently.

However someone pointed out in another thread that it was unfair to judge anyone on how they played under Maloney, so I'm going to stock my neck out and say that, by the end of this season, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong and will be pleased that we did sign him.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Yes its very early and we have to wait and see, but then again it wasnt too early for some posters to have a very negative opinion before the new manager and new players started??
    I don't really have any issue with people jumping to conclusions, either way, as long as they are willing to shift their position when the evidence necessitates it. I always say football is emotive and irrational and people dive in in a way they may not in other areas of their lives.

I think it's still way too early to say anyone was right or wrong about Johnson, recruitment or whatever else. The early signs are promising but it is ultimately 2 pre season friendlies. If Hearts fans were getting excited off the back of similar we'd be everything from talking it down to pissing ourselves laughing.

In saying that if the current good signs of progress continue into the LC games and the 1st round of League fixtures then all the summer critics should be big enough to admit their error and accept they reached the wrong early conclusions. We have all done it at one time or another, I was convinced Butcher was going to be great, it was the Ross Caldwell episode at Dingwall before I would even consider changing my mind. Likewise I thought Mowbray was going to be a total flop. It happens.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Happy to admit I was underwhelmed by LJ but as soon as his first interview “dropped” (I believe that’s what the kids call it) I was happy to give him every chance I’ve given any manager.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

To be fair I don’t think many people thought LJ was a bad appointment (maybe a small minority) most just felt he was the underwhelming option compared to JDH. The more you read about LJ the more it felt like the right appointment. Looks like we’re on the right track and hopefully it stays that way.

Would love ST numbers to get boosted after a strong pre season and people get behind the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I dont get excited whoever we appoint as manager, it's how they do that excites me these days.

I think it's too early to judge how things are going, we need to start the campaign before i will start judging this new side and those in charge, although first signs are encouraging.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    I don’t want to piss on anyone’s parade here but I think it is perhaps best to reflect on what may have been wrongly decided once we have seen the team in sustained competitive action.

There is an enjoyable buzz around the club at the moment which is lightyears away from where we were just 1-1.5 months ago, and that’s great. I feel it too.

I think we should finish top of our league cup group, and having seen the team in action, I am expecting 12 points.

If we can get 12 points and take that form into the SJ game we will be looking good.

We had a good start to the league season last season and it fell apart pretty quickly, so I am cautious of heaping praise onto the team and staff after two pre season games (as always really).

I would like to think that people can take time to come to a reasoned opinion if we hit a bad run of form, but the fact that people are so keen to praise after two friendlies makes me think they would flip if we have a few bad ones.

Maybe (hopefully) I’ve read the room wrong and people are just genuinely excited about hibs again, but I do think it’s too early to be saying the manager, players and staff were all correct.

Hopefully I can come back to this post in a year’s time and say with complete confidence and evidence that the posters were correct

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I don’t want to piss on anyone’s parade here but I think it is perhaps best to reflect on what may have been wrongly decided once we have seen the team in sustained competitive action.

There is an enjoyable buzz around the club at the moment which is lightyears away from where we were just 1-1.5 months ago, and that’s great. I feel it too.

I think we should finish top of our league cup group, and having seen the team in action, I am expecting 12 points.

If we can get 12 points and take that form into the SJ game we will be looking good.

We had a good start to the league season last season and it fell apart pretty quickly, so I am cautious of heaping praise onto the team and staff after two pre season games (as always really).

I would like to think that people can take time to come to a reasoned opinion if we hit a bad run of form, but the fact that people are so keen to praise after two friendlies makes me think they would flip if we have a few bad ones.

Maybe (hopefully) I’ve read the room wrong and people are just genuinely excited about hibs again, but I do think it’s too early to be saying the manager, players and staff were all correct.

Hopefully I can come back to this post in a year’s time and say with complete confidence and evidence that the posters were correct

I'll tell you what I think it is - I enjoyed watching Hibs today. It's left me wanting to see the next game.

For the first time in nearly a year, it's fun following Hibs. I've really missed that feeling, a lot.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

The derby will be a huge game for him. Win it and he'll have pretty much the whole support on board and it could be a springboard to a very positive season. Important to remember that this is the start of the journey though and there will be bumps along the road. Especially with such a young squad. One thing is certain, it won't be boring. Adam Owen seems a top notch coach too. Very excited.
    Last edited by Since452; 01-07-2022 at 08:01 PM.

Coaching Staff
    I’m always excited about watching Hibs and am never wrong😂

But, praise is indeed due to the club for showing both friendlies live to whomever wanted to watch them around the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I’m always excited about watching Hibs and am never wrong😂

But, praise is indeed due to the club for showing both friendlies live to whomever wanted to watch them around the globe.
    A lot of praise from Burton and Hartlepool fans for that. Both also reckon we're a right good side.

I thought Hecky then Maloney would take Hibs to another level. I was nearly right if you count relegation as another level 😟

It's far too early off course, but the signs are very encouraging.

This time last year, I felt that we needed to sign more depth to the squad to cover for when players were injured or lost form, but we didn't. That I felt was the reason we played so poorly. This year, I feel we need to sign the leaders in the team, when "two nil down at Tynie" the players who are going to man up and get us on the front foot.

I knew very little about LJ, but I've been impressed with the way the team has played in the two friendlies. There is much more of an attractive style of play compared to SM's team. That said, I felt JR tried the pressing game early in last season, but that didn't last long maybe because of the injuries that I mentioned earlier.

I have also been encouraged by the way certain players have clearly improved since last season - Melkerson, Campbell, Rocky etc. Still early days, but I'm impressed. Also, those coming in are obviously an upgrade on the players that have left such as Wright, Scott, Jasper, McGinn.

However, my major concern is what happens if we're two nil down at Easter Road, which will happen at some point. Do we have the leaders in the team to turn us around. Maybe a bizarre way to think about it, but who are the leaders in our team?

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    It's far too early off course, but the signs are very encouraging.

This time last year, I felt that we needed to sign more depth to the squad to cover for when players were injured or lost form, but we didn't. That I felt was the reason we played so poorly. This year, I feel we need to sign the leaders in the team, when "two nil down at Tynie" the players who are going to man up and get us on the front foot.

I knew very little about LJ, but I've been impressed with the way the team has played in the two friendlies. There is much more of an attractive style of play compared to SM's team. That said, I felt JR tried the pressing game early in last season, but that didn't last long maybe because of the injuries that I mentioned earlier.

I have also been encouraged by the way certain players have clearly improved since last season - Melkerson, Campbell, Rocky etc. Still early days, but I'm impressed. Also, those coming in are obviously an upgrade on the players that have left such as Wright, Scott, Jasper, McGinn.

However, my major concern is what happens if we're two nil down at Easter Road, which will happen at some point. Do we have the leaders in the team to turn us around. Maybe a bizarre way to think about it, but who are the leaders in our team?
    Porteous, Kenneh Marshall, McGeady and possibly Newell (when playing like the evening Derby last season) will all lead by example but I do agree with you, a Shinnie / Bartley type would really be beneficial to the side we are trying to build.