hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’ll take Djokovic or Nadal at their best to beat the robotic serve of Isner. That was his first ever win against Murray and, without the adrenaline, I suppose there’s every chance he could go out and lose to a nondescript player in the next round. However, I think he will reach the semi-finals at least.
    If he serves like he did tonight for the next five matches then he'll win the tournament but he almost certainly won't.

He plays Jannik Sinner next and I wouldn't be surprised if Sinner wins that one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Andrew Castle dear oh dear what an absolute clown. Loving it that Murray lost. Barely gave him any credit and absolutely very little context re his injury. Bizarre commentary imo
    I thought he was fine, never noticed any bias. Martina was awful last night mind you although Jo Konta is a great addition to the commentary team.

Anyway I think Isner will lose in the next round and Andy will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    He's on right now on the red button if you're interested in watching him.

He won the first set.
    When I eventually got the chance to watch him it was the Heather Watson match on the red button 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Is that the film with Burt Lancaster in it? 😉
    Was waiting for that

Murray's only 35, it's Isner who is 37.

I don't think he'll retire yet, I think he genuinely enjoys competing, I think there's another couple of years left in him yet.
    I know we have discussed this before but I just can’t see him going on much longer
    He is not really competing when John Isner beats him for the first time ever.
    He is losing to guys who wouldn’t stand a chance against him a few years ago.
    He is a legend and I would like to remember him as one, not an also ran

I didn’t see tonight’s game but my generic view seems to differ with some. My experience of castle in the past would have expected him to be very biased towards murray and definitely not the other way round.

I was also quite surprised to see Isner at 2/1 tonight. Didn’t have a bet but when glancing over I thought he’d be favourite.. albeit relies big time on a serve. He’s something of a force in tennis just now, which Murray just isn’t.

If he serves like he did tonight for the next five matches then he'll win the tournament but he almost certainly won't.

He plays Jannik Sinner next and I wouldn't be surprised if Sinner wins that one.
    Again didn’t see tonight so can only speak generally but find that hard to believe. The return of Djokovic (much as he isn’t my favourite man in the world) and Nadal is a wide margin above Murray, even at his best, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    When I eventually got the chance to watch him it was the Heather Watson match on the red button 🙄
    If you have Sky then all of the Wimbledon matches are on different channels starting from 981 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Again didn’t see tonight so can only speak generally but find that hard to believe. The return of Djokovic (much as he isn’t my favourite man in the world) and Nadal is a wide margin above Murray, even at his best, for me.
    73% first serves in will be a struggle for even the best returners in the game especially when Isner is consistently serving at around 130mph. I actually didn't think Murray did an awful lot wrong tonight, Isner was just too good for him.

I accept Murray's not at the level of Djokovic or Nadal now but if Isner keeps his serving at the level he was at tonight he will be a match for anyone.

Isner was all but unplayable tonight. Andy did extremely well to win that third set. His younger self would have gone on to win, as Isner graciously acknowledged.

73% first serves in will be a struggle for even the best returners in the game especially when Isner is consistently serving at around 130mph. I actually didn't think Murray did an awful lot wrong tonight, Isner was just too good for him.

I accept Murray's not at the level of Djokovic or Nadal now but if Isner keeps his serving at the level he was at tonight he will be a match for anyone.
    👍 73% is something else right enough

Insner has always intrigued me. His face betrays little emotion throughout the match. His gait is one of a giraffe wandering about the sandy wastes. His serve is unplayable. Why he hasn't won more is a puzzle.
    If he wins this year it'll be some sight as he clambers into the stand to hug his family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Murray was, at his peak, the best returner in the game. Whilst he's dropped off, he's still a formidable force on form.

Isner will do well to maintain that percentage but make no mistake, if he does he'll very likely win the whole thing.

Where he could come unstuck is meeting someone who holds serve equally well on the day and it comes down to a single break point a set, or tie breaks.

I wouldn't be betting against him at all.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Isner has the serve to go all the way on grass. If he can maintain the service consistency of last night, he will be tough for anybody.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Alastair Gray's tournament came to an end with a defeat to Taylor Fritz in straight sets.

However Liam Broady had an absolutely outstanding victory in five sets against 12th seed Diego Schwartzman.

Jack Draper on soon v Alex De Minaur.

Rafael Nadal is two sets ahead v Ricardas Berankis but the Lithuanian is a break up in the third set.

There was another brilliant British victory in the women's draw as Katie Boulter beat last year's finalist Karolina Pliskova in three sets.

Heather Watson also won against Qiang Wang but Harriet Dart lost to Jessica Pegula.

Iga Swiatek made it 37 wins in a row.

Nadal loses the third set.

Jack Draper just wins the first set v Alex De Minaur.

Outstanding point to win the set.

Nadal wins in four sets.

Things falling apart a bit for Draper just now.

He lost the second set on a tiebreak and is a break down in the third set.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    What’s going on with mens tennis? Just looked up the odds on William Hill and Djokovic is 4/9 to win the tournament, Nadal 4-1 then the nearest is Alcaraz at 10-1. A real dearth of young talent coming through and its been like that for a while.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Draper out in four sets.

Good match though.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    Murray was, at his peak, the best returner in the game. Whilst he's dropped off, he's still a formidable force on form.

Isner will do well to maintain that percentage but make no mistake, if he does he'll very likely win the whole thing.

Where he could come unstuck is meeting someone who holds serve equally well on the day and it comes down to a single break point a set, or tie breaks.

I wouldn't be betting against him at all.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    I have to disagree.

Djokovic has a decent case for being the best returner of all time. And as much as I’d like to see big John win the tournament, I really can’t see it.

Draper out in four sets.

Good match though.
    Draper played some match, I’d never really seen much of him but the boy can play.

His opponent was ridiculous in spells of the 3rd/4th set though. Credit to Draper for pushing him as much as he did!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    What’s going on with mens tennis? Just looked up the odds on William Hill and Djokovic is 4/9 to win the tournament, Nadal 4-1 then the nearest is Alcaraz at 10-1. A real dearth of young talent coming through and its been like that for a while.
    Yeah the so called next generation have really not done much at all.

Since Roger Federer won his first Grand Slam in 2003 only Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka and Federer himself have won more than one Grand Slam title. The youngest player in that list is Djokovic who is 35.

In the top 50 right now we have the following players who are under 25;

5th - Stefanos Tsitsipas - Best Grand Slam performance - Final (age 23)
    6th - Casper Ruud - Best Grand Slam performance - Final (age 23)
    7th - Carlos Alcaraz - Best Grand Slam performance - Quarter finals (age 19)
    8th - Andrey Rublev - Best Grand Slam performance - Quarter finals (age 24)
    9th - Felix Auger-Aliassime - Best Grand Slam performance - Semi finals (age 21)
    13th - Jannik Sinner - Best Grand Slam performance - Quarter finals (age 20)
    14th - Taylor Fritz - Best Grand Slam performance - 4th round (age 24)
    16th - Denis Shapovalov - Best Grand Slam performance - Semi finals (age 23)
    18th - Reilly Opelka - Best Grand Slam performance - 4th round (age 24)
    27th - Alex De Minaur - Best Grand Slam performance - Quarter finals (age 23)
    28th - Frances Tiafoe - Best Grand Slam performance - Quarter finals (age 24)
    29th - Holger Rune - Best Grand Slam performance - Quarter finals (age 19)
    30th - Miomir Kecmanovic - Best Grand Slam performance - 4th round (age 22)
    34th - Jenson Brooksby - Best Grand Slam performance - 4th round (age 21)
    35th - Sebastian Baez - Best Grand Slam performance - 2nd round (age 21)
    37th - Alejandro Davidovich Fokina - Best Grand Slam performance - Quarter finals (age 23)
    41st - Francisco Cerundolo - Best Grand Slam performance - 1st round (age 23)
    46th - Sebastian Korda - Best Grand Slam performance - 4th round (age 21)
    49th - Emil Ruusuvuori - Best Grand Slam performance - 2nd round (age 23)

Only two Grand Slam final appearances amongst this group speaks volumes about how little serious talent there is coming through. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have been very special players and it's highly unlikely that we'll see three players of that standard coming through all at the same time for a very long time.

Alcaraz is the man from that list.
    After the sad withdrawal from Berrentini, Novak will be strong favourite to win Wimbledon again but in a year or so I would hope Alcaraz will be top dog in the men’s game.
    Surprisingly, he seems pretty comfortable on grass as well, just needs more experience
    I’ve hardly seen any matches this week but Alcaraz was the one that impressed me most

Well done Heather Watson, into the last 16 for the first time in her career after many years of trying

Djokovic is so good. Hard to like sometimes but a stick-on for the title, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Well done Heather Watson, into the last 16 for the first time in her career after many years of trying
    Always good to see the joy she gets out of winning, such a cheery character.

The boy Alcaraz is unreal. Drop shots, lobs, totally outclassing his opponent, a joy to watch
    I know Cam Norrie is on the other channel but will stick with Carlos just now.

John Isner two sets down to Jannik Sinner.

I can't say I'm overly surprised like I said the other night I thought Sinner would beat him.

First serve percentage for Isner is slightly down compared with his match v Murray but still pretty consistent.

Sinner is a pretty steady player though and Isner looks like he's struggling with an injury.