hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Wimbledon

What a game for Williams to break serve!

Almost a 20 minute game and Williams leads 2-0 second set.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Williams saves break points to back up the break, 3-0.

Williams running away with this set, double break and now leads 4-0.

GB watch;

Paul Jubb took Nick Kyrgios to five sets this afternoon but the Australian had just a bit too much for the player ranked 219 in the world.

Jay Clarke lost in straight sets to Christian Harrison.

Jack Draper won in straight sets against Zizou Bergs.

Alastair Gray probably had one of the best wins of the first round by beating Chun Hsin Tseng who is ranked almost 200 places above him.

Liam Broady won in five sets v Lukas Klein.

Dan Evans had a very disappointing defeat to Jason Kubler in straight sets.

Katie Swan lost in three sets to Marta Kostyuk.

Sonay Kartal lost in three sets to Lesley Pattinama Kerkhove.

Heather Watson won in three sets v Tamara Korpatsch.

Katie Boulter won in straight sets v Clara Burel.

Williams won the second set 6-1.

Another top seed has gone today as sixth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime lost to Maxime Cressy in four sets.

Cressy is obviously decent on grass as he reached the final of Eastbourne last week but this is still a pretty big shock as Auger-Aliassime got to the quarter finals of Wimbledon last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Williams won the second set 6-1.
    Come on Tan.

Williams had an early break in the final set but Tan's just broken back - 3-3.

What a shot from Williams.

Williams breaks to lead 5-4 and will serve for the match.

Tan breaks back, 5-5.

This is some match!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Tan can play some superb drop shots. What a game!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Come on Harmony! Brilliant match.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Williams saves a match point - 6-6!

Such a shame that Wimbledon now has a championship tiebreak in the final set.

Tan wins 7-5 1-6 7-6

I'm not always a massive fan of women's tennis but that was such an enjoyable match.

@hibs.net private member
    Think he might be struggling this year!

I highly recommend Wimbledon to anyone with even a slight interest in tennis, the first time I entered Centre Court was one of the best things I've ever experienced. Such an iconic place and I absolutely love the tournament.
    Never been during the tournament unfortunately but have done the guided tour. Absolutely brilliant, includes getting into centre court. The museum is also worth a visit. Something worth considering if you're visiting London.

Tan wins 7-5 1-6 7-6

I'm not always a massive fan of women's tennis but that was such an enjoyable match.
    Classic Wimbledon really.

Shame the commentary was so bad with talking over the serves in some cases. Martina is a pain in the neck!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Classic Wimbledon really.

Shame the commentary was so bad with talking over the serves in some cases. Martina is a pain in the neck!
    Watched the first set and the commentary was bizarre especially Martina who gave Tan no credit and all her comments were on the premise of how amazing Serena was despite being outplayed on many points by a much less experienced opponent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61968827

Kyrgios admits spitting towards 'disrespectful' spectator.

Such a shame that Wimbledon now has a championship tiebreak in the final set.
    Got to disagree. I think it adds something and in its longer form there's plenty of time for ebb and flow. Plus we might all be glad of it if Isner goes long in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Come on Tan.
    Tan's peed off her doubles partner by dropping out to focus on her singles, quite an outburst on Insta;

Unfortunately my Doubles Partner H. Tan retired from our doubles today. She just texted me this morning. Let me wait here 1 hour before the match start. I'm very sad, disappointed and also very angry that I can't play my 1st Doubles Grand Slam. And It's really not fair for me😒 I did'nt deserve that. She asked me before the tournament if we wanna play doubles and I said yes, I did'nt ask her, she asked me! If you're broken after a 3h Match the day before, you can't play professional. That's my opinion.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Tan's peed off her doubles partner by dropping out to focus on her singles, quite an outburst on Insta;

Unfortunately my Doubles Partner H. Tan retired from our doubles today. She just texted me this morning. Let me wait here 1 hour before the match start. I'm very sad, disappointed and also very angry that I can't play my 1st Doubles Grand Slam. And It's really not fair for me😒 I did'nt deserve that. She asked me before the tournament if we wanna play doubles and I said yes, I did'nt ask her, she asked me! If you're broken after a 3h Match the day before, you can't play professional. That's my opinion.
    That seems a bit dramatic Tan has just beaten a huge legend in the game the game finishing after 10. Every chance she would have had physical impact of that. Think the doubles player needs to wind her neck in. Ridiculous rant imo.

Raducanu oot. Straight sets.

Raducanu out in straight sets.

Can't really say I'm too surprised to be honest, she's had a pretty awful time since winning the US Open last year.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Raducanu out in straight sets.

Can't really say I'm too surprised to be honest, she's had a pretty awful time since winning the US Open last year.
    Definitely a player in there though. Just needs to get used to life on the tour and learn to adjust to all the wee niggles that go with it. Oh, and maybe settle on a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Got to disagree. I think it adds something and in its longer form there's plenty of time for ebb and flow. Plus we might all be glad of it if Isner goes long in the tournament.
    Much prefer the longer format in the final set, a tiebreak kind of spoils it a bit for me.

Isner-Mahut was obviously an extreme case although as someone who was down at Wimbledon that year it was a match which will live long in everyone's memory and I think it's a shame that the tiebreak has been introduced.

There was a change made a couple of years ago when it was changed to a tiebreak at 12-12 and I think that was a good compromise if they didn't want it to potentially go on to 70-6!

Cam Norrie comes through in five sets.

I might be imagining it, but there seem to be an awful lot of empty seats on the show courts this year?

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I might be imagining it, but there seem to be an awful lot of empty seats on the show courts this year?
    You're definitely not imagining it, I noticed it on Monday and Tuesday and seeing it again today.