hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No really , Novak was absolute garbage for 2 sets before he started playing , I actually thought he was ill as he was accepting getting beat at one stage , Not the normal smashing his rackets or moaning to his box or screaming at himself , He really did play brutal for 2 sets , Deserved winner in the end

Djokovic
    Not everyones cuppa T but i like him and hope he wins the whole shebang , It's Nadal and picking his erse at every serve that does my heid in

Mon Nole !
    Novax is the biggest tool in world sport.

I refuse to watch his matches but I see there was a lengthy 'comfort break' when he went two sets down...

Let's just say some remain unconvinced by his 'gluten-free' transformation from brattish also-ran who seemed to get 'injured' if a match wasn't going his way to multiple slam winner.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Novax is the biggest tool in world sport.

I refuse to watch his matches but I see there was a lengthy 'comfort break' when he went two sets down...

Let's just say some remain unconvinced by his 'gluten-free' transformation from brattish also-ran who seemed to get 'injured' if a match wasn't going his way to multiple slam winner.

Like i say no everyones cuppa T , I like him

Like i say no everyones cuppa T , I like him
    Apart from his covid behaviour and stance, which I thought was/is particularly poor (albeit there are many like him in all walks of life!).. I don’t really get the hate for him either.

I do understand folk thinking he’s a knob since covid but I never get people trying to play down how brilliant a player he is because they dislike him.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Apart from his covid behaviour and stance, which I thought was/is particularly poor (albeit there are many like him in all walks of life!).. I don’t really get the hate for him either.

I do understand folk thinking he’s a knob since covid but I never get people trying to play down how brilliant a player he is because they dislike him.

This is it for me , The guy is a sensational Tennis player , Unbelievable on his day , And (IMO) Will still win the most majors in history and overtake Nadal and for me will be the greatest tennis player of all time , All in my humble opinion of course , Queue the Federer fans

Norrie breaks to serve for the fourth set.

Two sets all, we're into a decider!

This is it for me , The guy is a sensational Tennis player , Unbelievable on his day , And (IMO) Will still win the most majors in history and overtake Nadal and for me will be the greatest tennis player of all time , All in my humble opinion of course , Queue the Federer fans
    Aside from being an utter bellend, it's his anti-tennis 'style' which turns folk off. More of a tennis cyborg than a tennis player. Humanoid not human.

I can appreciate Djokovic is a great player but I just can't take to him either.

I've never really had any feelings either way about him up until this year but couldn't explain why.

Then the 2022 Australian Open happened...

He will never be as universally adored by the tennis public in the same way that Nadal and Federer are and that really bothers him.

Considering his Grand Slam record he should be loved by everyone who loves tennis but he just isn't.

He's undoubtedly still a legend though.

Norrie breaks to serve for the match!

Norrie wins in 5 sets after 3 and a half hours.

Djokovic v Norrie in the semis on Friday.

Well that just completed a wonderful day of sport.

Fritz v Nadal second on Centre Court tomorrow so should be on around 3.30pm and Garin v Kyrgios second on Court One so should be on around 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Norrie wins in 5 sets after 3 and a half hours.

Djokovic v Norrie in the semis on Friday.
    Very well done to Norrie. A lot of pressure on him today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I can appreciate Djokovic is a great player but I just can't take to him either.

I've never really had any feelings either way about him up until this year but couldn't explain why.

Then the 2022 Australian Open happened...

He will never be as universally adored by the tennis public in the same way that Nadal and Federer are and that really bothers him.

Considering his Grand Slam record he should be loved by everyone who loves tennis but he just isn't.

He's undoubtedly still a legend though.
    Unlike following a football team where ultimately you just want your team to win (though doing so in style is an added bonus) for tennis fans I've always felt it's about more than winning. It's about a certain grace and style of play and the way you carry yourself off court which underpins the greatest champions. Federer and Nadal have both in spades, Djokovic never has.

This was written pre-Australia but it's a decent analysis of why, despite the stats, Djokovic will always be unloved as a player:

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/everybody-hates-novak-236650

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Aside from being an utter bellend, it's his anti-tennis 'style' which turns folk off. More of a tennis cyborg than a tennis player. Humanoid not human.
    He’s not anti-tennis at all in my opinion, and you’re honestly the only person or poster I’ve ever heard claim this. He just happens to have been the only player to live with Nadal and Federer with any consistency . Plays as many remarkable attacking shots than Murray or any of our other favourites ever did, and I think you’d praise anyone else managing to stay in points/sets/matches like he does when he DOES need to grind it out. He’s a machine.. that doesn’t make him boring.

As for his conduct off the court, I always used to find him absolutely fine. Hasn’t he been called both a joker and a gentleman in his younger days? Enjoyed his impressions of other players 😀

However I do admit to going off him for his pandemic pantomime, I think he was behaving like a tosser and wouldn’t blame anyone for disliking him purely for that carry-on. That doesn’t change the fact that he’s an awesome tennis player who will retire with a claim to being the best ever and whose record should be greatly respected by all tennis fans.

Mon Rafa 😁

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    He’s not anti-tennis at all in my opinion, and you’re honestly the only person or poster I’ve ever heard claim this. He just happens to have been the only player to live with Nadal and Federer with any consistency . Plays as many remarkable attacking shots than Murray or any of our other favourites ever did, and I think you’d praise anyone else managing to stay in points/sets/matches like he does when he DOES need to grind it out. He’s a machine.. that doesn’t make him boring.

As for his conduct off the court, I always used to find him absolutely fine. Hasn’t he been called both a joker and a gentleman in his younger days? Enjoyed his impressions of other players 😀

However I do admit to going off him for his pandemic pantomime, I think he was behaving like a tosser and wouldn’t blame anyone for disliking him purely for that carry-on. That doesn’t change the fact that he’s an awesome tennis player who will retire with a claim to being the best ever and whose record should be greatly respected by all tennis fans.

Mon Rafa 😁
    Re his style, if you follow tennis regularly you'll know my view is far from unique. The link I posted a couple of posts up sums it up well (while accepting that while not easy on the eye it has yielded plenty success).

And yes, mon Rafa (assuming Norrie doesn't reach the final).
    Last edited by He's here!; 06-07-2022 at 08:39 AM.

Federers single handed backhand is perfection and, in an age where the vast majority of players use the double handed backhand, set him apart as a step above everyone else in terms of style of play and talent.

Djokovic has been incredibly successful and will probably end his career as the most successful player of all time in terms of grand slams won, tournaments won and prize money won, but IMHO, Federer will always be the better tennis player due to his style of play and the range of shots he can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Federers single handed backhand is perfection and, in an age where the vast majority of players use the double handed backhand, set him apart as a step above everyone else in terms of style of play and talent.

Djokovic has been incredibly successful and will probably end his career as the most successful player of all time in terms of grand slams won, tournaments won and prize money won, but IMHO, Federer will always be the better tennis player due to his style of play and the range of shots he can make.
    Novax could win 50 slams and he's still never be the all round champion Federer is.

Rafa struggling with injury. He’s digging in for now but difficult to see him lasting long enough to get the 3 sets he needs.

I've rarely watched Kyrgios play as he doesn't often figure in the latter stages of tournaments but having seen a lot of him this Wimbledon I can see why Andy Murray describes him as the most naturally talented player in the game.

Just in, Fritz two sets to one up. Nadal calling the trainer.

Kyrgios through to the semis in straight sets.

6-4 6-3 7-6.

Fritz breaks back - 4-4 fourth set.

Nadal breaks to go 6-5 up and will serve to take us into a decider!

Nadal wins the 4th set 7-5.

Decider it is!

Nadal breaks first in the decider and is serving at 4-3 up.

Fritz breaks straight back.

4-4.

Nadal wins in 5 sets.

Absolutely phenomenal effort, please take a bow!

Kyrgios v Nadal in the semis.

4/4 semi finalists correct!

Fritz is definitely a future Wimbledon champion though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I do struggle with the Rafa injuries usually coincide with the other guy leading. The wimbledon crowd also. embarrassing how they favour certain players. Sure Rafa will be at it in semi. Hope Kyrgios horses him.