hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was it turgid? Did you actually go and watch Aberdeen every week? Pretty sure they'd kill to go back to that now. They also had plenty big wins and exciting players.

It's not about where we finished. It's about 3-0 wins at Motherwell and St mirren, 4-0 win at Hamilton, 2-2 draws with the old firm, plenty other decent games.

We were not turgid. Turgid was Terry butcher and Colin calderwood and definitely Shaun Maloney. We played some good stuff under Ross that season and sadly none of us were able to see it.
    I've plenty Aberdeen supporting friends who definitely thought it was turgid after the initial excitement of being best of the rest faded.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    I think a few should dig out the Collins English dictionary for the correct definition of Turgid…it’s a great word but sadly so often used out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I've plenty Aberdeen supporting friends who definitely thought it was turgid after the initial excitement of being best of the rest faded.
    And now they're 10th. Maybe there's a theme here? Maybe turgid and winning is better than turgid and losing.

Blog Entries
    I want us to regain the respect we once had from other teams in the Scottish Premiership. I think most, if not all of them, consider us losers and a real soft touch. I want them to fear us in every game. The way we regain that is by showing the capability of winning every game, preferably with solid, attacking football. I think we are shaping up to do that but time will tell. This would give us a good position in the league, and a good run in the cups would ice the cake.

We`re unlikely to do as well in cups as last 2 seasons but will obviously be hoping to finish at least 3 places higher in the league ( with even a normal number of injuries we would have finished 4th or better last season ) . Main thing wil be hopefully more entertaining play especially in the home matches . Even with injuries there were good attacking home performances before split v Ross County and Dundee United for example so with new signings we should hope for more .
    Surely a big sign of success would be being able to read posts here after matches whatever results without loads of posts about " imposters , wage thieves etc " because fans appreciated team`s efforts . Not reading negative comments about new manager here yet ( last manager was being criticised by a few here before he`d even started ) and with pre season with players to settle in , hopefully we can enjoy some good performances and score a few goals .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I want us to regain the respect we once had from other teams in the Scottish Premiership. I think most, if not all of them, consider us losers and a real soft touch. I want them to fear us in every game. The way we regain that is by showing the capability of winning every game, preferably with solid, attacking football. I think we are shaping up to do that but time will tell. This would give us a good position in the league, and a good run in the cups would ice the cake.
    We've been a bit too boom and bust in my time supporting to have that respect. We get it while the team is good but the team is only good fleetingly.

We talk about consistency of top six finishes and of a model for recruitment that will sustain success. If we ever get these right we would be punching at the level we should be. No longer the soft touch or one season wonder.

Got to be top 4, minimum. Cups are a lottery as we could draw the OF early.

Not fussed about attractive, attacking football early doors. Need to get off to a good start to get some of the doubters (me included) on board and to try and regain some of the season ticket holders who have not renewed in the last couple of years.

It's all about momentum. Given the fortunate run of fixtures we have (none of other the big 4 away) we could be unbeaten in the league up until October. This would give me optimism that Hibs have recruited well. However, given the shambles of last season and some of the irrational/erratic decisions made, if we lose the few games of the season (first 2 against St J & the Yams) it will be a slog and will turn messy.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    1. In the top six.
    2. As good a run as possible in both cups
    3. European finish
    4. New signings to be a success.
    5. Fans to enjoy coming to ER again.
    6. Leave the anger and abuse on Albion Road
    7. Singing to return to all 3 stands
    8. Work with the club to get a safe standing area introduced.
    9. No fan scapegoats. Full support to all players.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    We've only really had one bad finish since returning to the league, and that was last season. We normally have good cup runs most years, but they are not good enough now, and we have to play like 70s Brazil, and win cups now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We've only really had one bad finish since returning to the league, and that was last season. We normally have good cup runs most years, but they are not good enough now, and we have to play like 70s Brazil, and win cups now.

It's six years since we last won a trophy, so I think we're due another one.

Put some money on us winning the League Cup this season

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We’ve been bottom six twice in the last 3 years. Bottom six is a complete failure for Hibs.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 26-06-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    We’ve been bottom six twice in the last 3 years. Bottom six is a complete failure for Hibs.
    No...relegation is a complete failure, bottom 6 is a disappointment

Left by mutual consent!
    We really weren't turgid when we finished 3rd. Some brilliant wins and played decent football. It's wasn't Barcelona but it wasn't turgid imo.
    Good to finish third which is the best we can do.
    No Hearts in the league.
    What were the brilliant wins?

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    No Hearts in the league.
    Couldn't care less if hearts where in the league or not. They have no impact on what I consider success for Hibs.

Plenty of good wins, especially away from home. Was a really good season.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    No Hearts in the league.
    Hearts got themselves relegated through being *****. Them not being in the league made no difference.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    No...relegation is a complete failure, bottom 6 is a disappointment
    Bottom 6 is failure imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Winning the League, the Scottish Cup and the League Cup, while playing outrageously attractive football in front of sell-out crowds and beating Hearts four times in the league and once in each of the Cups.

Anything else is just not acceptable.
    We'd probably still have some fans that found something to moan about lol!

We need to get a better return in the domestic cup competitions. In the last 10 years we've been to 7 finals and 8 semi finals (my calculations may be slightly off with that but its not too far off the mark lol!) and only won 1 trophy. That needs to improve. Getting to the later stages of the cup is rarely unachieved but we just can't seem to get over that final hurdle.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 27-06-2022 at 07:36 AM.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Couldn't care less if hearts where in the league or not. They have no impact on what I consider success for Hibs.

Plenty of good wins, especially away from home. Was a really good season.
    Maybe some people look for different things from a Hibs team than you?

That’s not saying you’re wrong, just that if someone found it boring or turgid, you can’t persuade them otherwise no matter what stats or league positions you can put forward to back up your views, as that’s just what they thought.

Some people (me) find Man City a boring team to watch where as I’m sure many people would think I’m mental for thinking that.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    And now they're 10th. Maybe there's a theme here? Maybe turgid and winning is better than turgid and losing.
    You're now arguing a different point. You said their fans didn't find their football boring, they did. However they enjoyed the success they were having and definitely appreciated it more than we did when Jack Ross had us third and the same criticism of how we played was being levelled at him5as McInnes faced.

Obviously 3rd is better than 10th. I should also add I didn't want Ross sacked, my previous posts should show that, I was a big fan. Problem McInnes and Ross face is that if the fans deem their football unexciting then they need to continually win to keep their critics at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    You're now arguing a different point. You said their fans didn't find their football boring, they did. However they enjoyed the success they were having and definitely appreciated it more than we did when Jack Ross had us third and the same criticism of how we played was being levelled at him5as McInnes faced.

Obviously 3rd is better than 10th. I should also add I didn't want Ross sacked, my previous posts should show that, I was a big fan. Problem McInnes and Ross face is that if the fans deem their football unexciting then they need to continually win to keep their critics at bay.
    I'd say though that people see what they wanted to see. Many big wins with great football got ignored and bad results Vs Hearts constantly mentioned against Ross. Of course there were some poor performances and results but we didn't play some dreadful brand of hoofball.

Best case scenario would be 3rd and a cup win. Plus winning all the derby games & couple of wins against the Old Firm.
    Good season is 3rd/4th and cup final.
    5th/6th I'd say no but that depends if we win a cup.
    Bottom 6 and nowhere near cup finals is a failure and not acceptable.

@hibs.net private member
    Top 6 is the minimum, real progress would see us in the top 4, cup runs would be good but the cup is a lottery so it's the league position we finish in that will tell if there has been a successful season for me.

Talking

Top 4 and winning one of the cups

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    After yesterday game. Winning the treble should be a given

Something like:

Hibs winning the league and the Scottish Cup.
    Celtic struggle as all of their first team is called up for Japan.
    Parks of Hamilton are bought by cinch and Rylan is installed as new board member at the Rangers.
    Robbie Nielsen decides to finally visit a barber.
    Ron finally opens a llama sanctuary at East Mains.
    Ian Gordon signs Neymar and Mbappe as back up to Doidge and Nisbet.
    Jack Ross admits he is Ross Jack but from a parallel universe.
    Alex Gogic scores a hat trick against Hearts in the league cup semi final.
    Hibs launch a NICE purple and green away kit.
    Pilot open a brew bar and taproom in the stadium.
    England don't get out the group stages in Qatar after Harry Maguire scores 4 own goals against Wales ..

A cup win is a successful season. Failing that it's European qualification. Both would be eutopia.

Top 6 finish, 3rd (or 4th) place. Beating the yams 4x in league. A cup final.

First Team Breakthrough jingler1954's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jingler1954 View Post
    Have at least 10 shots on target in every game. Score at least 2 goals in every game. Score 4 goals at least twice in the season. Win every game in the cups apart from the uglies, but dont give them if we get drawn against them an easy ride. European football next season. Hearts fail miserably. I'll be happy.
    Well that's a good start shots on target [tick] 2 goals[tick] 4 Goals [tick] GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough Dobosz83's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dobosz1983
    Top 4, Scottish Cup semi-final minimum and at least 2 derby wins…