hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Winning the treble and all three derbies by seven goals to nil. I insist on Hearts finishing in the bottom 6 forming part of this successful season

2. Log in to remove the advert

​
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A successful season will be one that leaves us with a lot of good memories. Not necessarily Cup Final wins or finishing 3rd, but simply a good number of memorable afternoons and nights which we will reminisce about in years to come.

Jack Ross gave us Rangers at Hampden and Shaun Maloney gave us (10 man for the 90 mins) Motherwell in the Cup, and that was pretty much it. Hardly getting out your seat for the most part of it and sitting bored to tears in Easter Road and away ends around the country. Beating teams you should be beating but falling short in the bigger games.
    This sums it up for me as well. Yes winning a cup would be fantastic and 3rd place etc but just getting some games to remember. The last few years its all been very forgettable. Even back in the 80s we won nowt but plenty memorable games. We need excitement back at easter road.
    Making going to watch Hibs on a Saturday an entertaining and enjoyable afternoon out will be deemed a success for me. If we win a cup and secure a European spot then I’d say that’s a bonus. I’d like to think we can still be in the mix for those goals by the time of the split.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Europe and at least one semi final.

I just want to enjoy watching my football again.

Nothing more than that nothing less.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    1) Enjoyable football

2) Normally I say 4th minimum but this season I'll be okay with top 6, as long as number 1 happens.

3) Good cup run

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I just want to enjoy watching my football again.

Nothing more than that nothing less.
    Amen to this. Been bored to death over the past 2 seasons watching turgid football (especially last season). With a few exceptions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg View Post
    Amen to this. Been bored to death over the past 2 seasons watching turgid football (especially last season). With a few exceptions!
    We really weren't turgid when we finished 3rd. Some brilliant wins and played decent football. It's wasn't Barcelona but it wasn't turgid imo.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    The caveman in me wants to beat Hearts at all costs, but a successful season looks like;

- European football (preferably the kind that they have this year)
    - Min Semis of both cups

That's the reality of Hibs. If we overachieve then great!

If you look at the teams that finished 4th and 5th, I don't think it's unreasonable to think those positions are potentially up for grabs, regardless of what state we were in last season. That's not to say it will happen, just that the league was so poor outside the top 3 that it really doesn't take much to get among the European positions with some small changes to the squad and good coaching. We also know to our cost that for some reason teams very rarely consolidate 3rd place, so while Hearts look far and away favourites for that position again and I think they'll get it, you just never know. You're at the mercy of the draw with cups and we're due a bad run, so if we don't make it to Hampden for a year I'm not going to be calling for heads. So, for me, a successful season is top 4/5 and beyond that, just a bit of entertainment at Easter Road...please.

3rd to 5th and a decent cup run as minimum

Any season that folk aren't pissing and moaning about the slightest thing. It's only a game

Although, I did once break a controller playing C.o.D. oopsie

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We really weren't turgid when we finished 3rd. Some brilliant wins and played decent football. It's wasn't Barcelona but it wasn't turgid imo.
    Most of that season was turgid as well imo.

We’ve been gash to watch for years now with the odd individual game bucking the trend. Generally speaking though, we’ve not been good to watch for about 5 years I’d say.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Qualify for Europe, cup final minimum, no losses to Hearts.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Winning the treble and all three derbies by seven goals to nil. I insist on Hearts finishing in the bottom 6 forming part of this successful season

This, bare minimum.

Seriously though, don't get beat by Hearts, 4th and a final would be a good start. I do feel like any Hibs boss now has more pressure in the cups as we've pretty consistently been there or thereabouts in at least one of them every year for a bit now. Ideally keep that up but Europe is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Most of that season was turgid as well imo.

We’ve been gash to watch for years now with the odd individual game bucking the trend. Generally speaking though, we’ve not been good to watch for about 5 years I’d say.
    Na, it really wasn't turgid. Plenty good football. 2010 to 2014 was gash to watch. Last 5 years have been average to good. 20/21 season was decent, Boyle nisbet and doidge were brilliant at times. Being in the house listening to Tam McManus would make anything seem worse than it actually was.

@hibs.net private member
    Na, it really wasn't turgid. Plenty good football. 2010 to 2014 was gash to watch. Last 5 years have been average to good. 20/21 season was decent, Boyle nisbet and doidge were brilliant at times. Being in the house listening to Tam McManus would make anything seem worse than it actually was.
    Imo it really was. You do realise other people are allowed to have a different opinion to you, don’t you? Loads of people found it turgid. People said as much at the time as well.

And blaming how crap it was for some people on Tam McManus is laughable really.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    This, bare minimum.

Seriously though, don't get beat by Hearts, 4th and a final would be a good start. I do feel like any Hibs boss now has more pressure in the cups as we've pretty consistently been there or thereabouts in at least one of them every year for a bit now. Ideally keep that up but Europe is a must.
    That's in no way a start surely? No losses to Hearts sure but winning a trophy is a top achievement for Hibs any season and given 3rd is as good as we're likely to get in the near future I'd say finishing 4th given it's a new manager and a rebuild would be a fantastic result too

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Imo it really was. You do realise other people are allowed to have a different opinion to you, don’t you? Loads of people found it turgid. People said as much at the time as well.

How's the poster you're replying to not allowed an opinion without it being laughable but you get annoyed that he disagreed with yours?

If you're wanting folk to respect your opinion you should really show their opinion some as well.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    It's weird but the more I think about it, this season is more about how I feel going along to Easter Road or an away game than the actual result at the end of the season. Was absolutely gasping to attend a game during the lockdowns and after a bright start to last season it fell away very quickly and there was absolutely no joy whatsoever to be gained from watching Maloney have our strikers run away from goal, have eleven men back at set pieces and pass the ball about the back line rather than try to attack. I didn't look forward to it whatsoever and quite honestly despised Maloney for ripping the soul out of Hibs.

Even if we are a clear 'work in progress' and finish 7th lets say but otherwise play exciting but inconsistent football, have a few players who look as if they're bright sparks and have some exciting moments in big games then I'll be delighted, there will be something to hang your hat on to say "travelling all the way through to Edinburgh and spending all the money involved in these times is worth the hope".

For the first time in some time, what would constitute a success for Hibs is emotional rather than rational for me.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Make going to games something I look forward to. I have always been more interested in entertainment than where we finish. I actually enjoyed the league below particularly the first couple of times back in the day. LJ has came across very well and he has an energy that the last three managers didn't, particularly Maloney but as ever talking means very little in football

First Team Breakthrough jingler1954's Avatar
    Have at least 10 shots on target in every game. Score at least 2 goals in every game. Score 4 goals at least twice in the season. Win every game in the cups apart from the uglies, but dont give them if we get drawn against them an easy ride. European football next season. Hearts fail miserably. I'll be happy.

Testimonial Due
    Finish above Hearts and beat them more than they best us. Already had enough of their crowing.

Of course you're allowed a different opinion. I'm quite entitled to think you're talking rubbish as well. In 14 years on here I've never once said anyone isn't entitled to their opinion or said my posts are anything other than my own opinion.

We weren't turgid. I'd kill to be that bad again next season. Real shame that such a good season is put down as turgid. Wonder why the club bother at times honestly.

Scored plenty goals, didn't concede many, had some good, big wins, especially away from home, reached a final and a semi. ****ing boring turgid stuff indeed.

First Team Breakthrough Soldiersteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Winning the League, the Scottish Cup and the League Cup, while playing outrageously attractive football in front of sell-out crowds and beating Hearts four times in the league and once in each of the Cups.

Anything else is just not acceptable.
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Of course you're allowed a different opinion. I'm quite entitled to think you're talking rubbish as well. In 14 years on here I've never once said anyone isn't entitled to their opinion or said my posts are anything other than my own opinion.

We weren't turgid. I'd kill to be that bad again next season. Real shame that such a good season is put down as turgid. Wonder why the club bother at times honestly.

Scored plenty goals, didn't concede many, had some good, big wins, especially away from home, reached a final and a semi. ****ing boring turgid stuff indeed.
    Turgid is just a word, but there were plenty of people that didn’t particularly enjoy the season we finished 3rd, me being one. 3rd was an achievement but I was glad to see the back of that season and don’t look back on it with fondness. Lots of people did enjoy it because the end goal is what they look for, and that’s fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Only a trophy is 'success' we've had enjoyable seasons that will be remembered, e.g. the McLeish & Mowbray teams at their peak, but they didn't win any major honours - which is what defines success to me.
    Me as well. At the end of the day good football is desirable and something every team should aim for, but for far too long this club has been so fixated on 'playing the Hibs way' whatever the hell that is, that we have forgotten what we exist to do as a club.

From my first game at 15 years old I've seen a couple of teams at this club who were worth following just because of the way they played, but in that 47 years I've seen far more poor to rubbish teams. In that 47 years I've seen Hibs win two League cups and one Scottish cup, that's three trophies, one every 15 and a bit years.

In fact, when you consider that's 94 trophies contested and only 3 wins, for a club of this size that's a bloody hellish record.

That's why when the old argument comes around 'would you rather finish 4th and qualify for Europe or finish 6th but win the League cup? its a no brianer for me ... the League cup every time.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 25-06-2022 at 03:12 PM.

I agree with the posts above. Alex Miller played the most boring, negative football I've ever seen for the vast majority of his time at Hibs but he'll be remembered as a cup winning manager. That's success.

@hibs.net private member

Aberdeen finished second numerous times, that was turgid.

Good finishes doesn’t mean it isn’t turgid

Obviously the treble is a must allied to winning that UEFA Elite Youth thingy and the Hibernian 1875 Invitational...

Aberdeen finished second numerous times, that was turgid.

Good finishes doesn’t mean it isn’t turgid
    Was it turgid? Did you actually go and watch Aberdeen every week? Pretty sure they'd kill to go back to that now. They also had plenty big wins and exciting players.

It's not about where we finished. It's about 3-0 wins at Motherwell and St mirren, 4-0 win at Hamilton, 2-2 draws with the old firm, plenty other decent games.

We were not turgid. Turgid was Terry butcher and Colin calderwood and definitely Shaun Maloney. We played some good stuff under Ross that season and sadly none of us were able to see it.