hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Winning a cup, finishing top, some wins over hearts, Aberdeen and the OF and European qualification.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Top 4, Scottish cup semi (minimum) and get at least a couple of wins against those mutants from the pink side of Edinburgh.

And I guess also a reconnect with the team/manager and the fans like the Lennon/Stubbs days.

Here’s hoping

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4th with attractive football should be our goal this season.

Cups are a bonus - we’ve been a brilliant cup team for a number of years, but can’t have that every season.

Top four if no cup win. Top 10 if we win a cup.

In teams of the cup competitions it really depends on who we play. If we knock out Celtic, Rangers and Hearts on the way to losing to Aberdeen in the final that's not a bad cup run. If we beat smaller teams we should expect to beat then it's a different story

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    For this season, qualifying for Europe and getting to a semi final would be amazing.

It's going to be tough though. I think Hearts and Aberdeen will be stronger than us, and expect us to finish 5th or 6th at best.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    For this season, qualifying for Europe and getting to a semi final would be amazing.

It's going to be tough though. I think Hearts and Aberdeen will be stronger than us, and expect us to finish 5th or 6th at best.
    Aberdeen have a poor manager despite having good funds. They'll drop plenty points imo. Europe may hurt Hearts league form too. Hopefully we are right in that mix for top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Hearts i can kinda see, but i dont think they were that great tbh and dont think it would take much to catch them......but Aberdeen??? Why do you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Winning the League, the Scottish Cup and the League Cup, while playing outrageously attractive football in front of sell-out crowds and beating Hearts four times in the league and once in each of the Cups.

Anything else is just not acceptable.
    I'll go for that but only 3 wins against Hearts as they finish bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Aberdeen have a poor manager despite having good funds. They'll drop plenty points imo. Europe may hurt Hearts league form too. Hopefully we are right in that mix for top 4.
    Hope it pans out that way. Jambos are going to need a lot of depth if they hope to reach christmas with a good league placing. Aberdeen? Meh.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Top 4 and 2 decent cup runs to the semis at least.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Good attacking football with plenty goalmouth chances and excitement during most games is what I want.

If we get that, the results will follow although the league placing will be in the lap of the gods.

A cup run needs the luck of the draw and we could get knocked out in the 4th round by a powerful Celtc or Sevco so I'm not going to factor that in.

Just bring the fun back.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Hearts i can kinda see, but i dont think they were that great tbh and dont think it would take much to catch them......but Aberdeen??? Why do you think that?
    They've got money coming in which I expect them to spend.

They are similar to us in so many ways this season. They need to get off to a good start, get their fans on side etc. I also think Goodwin is a decent manager despite his crap start there.

Top 4 and winning one of the cups .... that's a successful season in practically any year of our history because the fact is that such a thing happening is as rare as hens teeth for us. Hell, even when we finally broke our SC hoodoo we had to be in the championship to do it.

That very fact is why its so easy to see us as one of the country's most under performing clubs ... 4th / 5th biggest club in the country for over a hundred years and in any one of those years such a season would have been one of our best.

A catalogue of mismanagement and under performance from owners and managers of this club since at least the 1950s means all an owner has to do is fulfill this club's potential to become a legend, not in any way exceed it ..... what a shame that for practically 70 years not one of them has managed it, but what an incentive for Ron Gordon to get it right.

Anyway .... 4th and the league cup will do me

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A successful season will be one that leaves us with a lot of good memories. Not necessarily Cup Final wins or finishing 3rd, but simply a good number of memorable afternoons and nights which we will reminisce about in years to come.

Jack Ross gave us Rangers at Hampden and Shaun Maloney gave us (10 man for the 90 mins) Motherwell in the Cup, and that was pretty much it. Hardly getting out your seat for the most part of it and sitting bored to tears in Easter Road and away ends around the country. Beating teams you should be beating but falling short in the bigger games.

Making going to watch Hibs on a Saturday an entertaining and enjoyable afternoon out will be deemed a success for me. If we win a cup and secure a European spot then I’d say that’s a bonus. I’d like to think we can still be in the mix for those goals by the time of the split.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    4th, and not slipping up in the cup.

It would be great to get to Hampden but if we draw rangers/Celtic before that then you have to make allowances.

Ideally, the squad would be passionate about being at Hibs and play an attractive brand of football too.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Not a criticism of anybody in particular however it’s interesting seeing some people only interested in what the end result looks like where as others are judging what the season will look like based on how we get to the end result. Really does just show that everybody judges things differently and can see how the recent managerial debates went the way they did.

Not saying either side is right or wrong, more just an observation that different people look for different things.

Sorry if that’s stating the obvious, I’m not stoned honest 😃

3rd place, European qualification and decent runs in the cup competitions (semis at least), playing "attractive" football - beating Hearts and - having the feeling that we have a team that can build on its success for the following season ...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Not a criticism of anybody in particular however it’s interesting seeing some people only interested in what the end result looks like where as others are judging what the season will look like based on how we get to the end result. Really does just show that everybody judges things differently and can see how the recent managerial debates went the way they did.

Not saying either side is right or wrong, more just an observation that different people look for different things.

Before Jack Ross left last season I honestly wasn’t sure I’d renew this season if he was in charge. I thought it was brutal to watch, didn’t enjoy going to watch Hibs at all and even never bothered with some games for that reason. So a season ticket would have been a bit of a waste of money. That much never really changed under Maloney although if we’d carried on playing like we did in Maloneys first two games then I’d have been really excited going to watch Hibs.

I’ve renewed again for this season, but that’s all I want really is a team that I enjoy going to watch. If we get that then I’ve no doubt that decent results will follow as a consequence of that.

Beat Hearts in every match we play them, preferably including a cup tie.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post

Before Jack Ross left last season I honestly wasn’t sure I’d renew this season if he was in charge. I thought it was brutal to watch, didn’t enjoy going to watch Hibs at all and even never bothered with some games for that reason. So a season ticket would have been a bit of a waste of money. That much never really changed under Maloney although if we’d carried on playing like we did in Maloneys first two games then I’d have been really excited going to watch Hibs.

I’ve renewed again for this season, but that’s all I want really is a team that I enjoy going to watch. If we get that then I’ve no doubt that decent results will follow as a consequence of that.
    Yeah, im genuinely not wanting to open up old wounds or go over all ground again but I do think the message that the likes of you and I have been saying has been lost in translation when we say we want to enjoy going to Easter Road again. To me, it’s never been about fast free flowing attacking football trying to play like Man City, Barcelona or dare I say it, some Hibs way. An enjoyable season for me will include us playing on the front foot with loads of energy, pumping some teams some times and putting teams under loads of pressure. Easter Road should be a difficult place for teams to come and visit but it’s all been too placid recently. I just want a good team with fire in the belly. If we have that, for the most part results will take care of themselves.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Beat Hearts in every match we play them, preferably including a cup tie.
    What if we do that, but get relegated? Or even just flounder around in mid-table? Would that still be successful?

I don't think you're the only who would say that answer, not picking on you specifically. Just curious. 😊
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Interesting take - for me its this:-

Standing up in the west lower at my seat before the game with a sense of anticipation not dread or boredom
    Feeling some sort of connection when applauding players / manager coming out onto the pitch
    Hugging my Mrs when (not if) we score (other Mrs's may be acceptable)
    Feeling butterflies in my stomach if someone unfurls a 'natural order' banner or similar
    Being moved to tears because we seem to have beaten the odds
    Staying behind at the whistle to applaud effort / flair and not necessarily winning

@hibs.net private member
    3rd and a cup win is achievable and should be the target every year.

European qualification and a team that makes you look forward to going to watch it rather than try to find excuses to avoid it.

My expectations are low, just based on the signings to date so could change, but right now top 6 would be an achievement as for cups semi at best prob most realistic we can hope for tbh.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    A TDD so spectacular it puts all others in the shade. Performances that leave you gagging for the next game. Emergence of a new Captain who imposes himself on the team. A pressing style that leaves no team comfortable playing against us. Fortress Easter Road becoming a real thing. A couple of the new younger signings turning out to be real gems. Top five finish, European qualification and perhaps a semi final.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    A TDD so spectacular it puts all others in the shade. Performances that leave you gagging for the next game. Emergence of a new Captain who imposes himself on the team. A pressing style that leaves no team comfortable playing against us. Fortress Easter Road becoming a real thing. A couple of the new younger signings turning out to be real gems. Top five finish, European qualification and perhaps a semi final.
    I’d be more than happy with that

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Europe and a couple of cup runs if we avoid the obvious two.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Europe and a couple of cup runs if we avoid the obvious two.
    St Johnstone and Hearts?

Only a trophy is 'success' we've had enjoyable seasons that will be remembered, e.g. the McLeish & Mowbray teams at their peak, but they didn't win any major honours - which is what defines success to me.