hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jair Tavares

He looks class. Could become a cult hero. We've not had one of those for a while. That's important for for the fans I reckon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He looks class. Could become a cult hero. We've not had one of those for a while. That's important for for the fans I reckon.
    Or even just a regular hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post

No ones said he cant handle it...How he'll deal with it or how he'll develop. So he may be under more expection than he's been through before & hopefully he either learns through experience or support...or...just takes it in his stride..

Hes playing because he's good at playing....
    And neither have I.

Didn't watch the whole of the 1st half, but from what I saw he looks a good player, comfortable on the ball in tight situations. Good first impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSn5XTTOFC0

Dunno if this link already been posted.
    I KNOW he won't be anywhere near his level, but just in terms of style of dribble he's just like Ronaldinho..that hover the foot over the ball thing and then a big exaggerated cut. You can tell some SPFL clogger will stamp on those ankles a few times this season.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I KNOW he won't be anywhere near his level, but just in terms of style of dribble he's just like Ronaldinho..that hover the foot over the ball thing and then a big exaggerated cut. You can tell some SPFL clogger will stamp on those ankles a few times this season.
    I know it's a strange thing to notice but I love how body language when he gets the ball in a tight space. Chest puffed out, on his toes and ready to move in any direction but not in a rush to do so. Almost beckoning the defender to make the first move and then he'll go the other way. Shows a lot of confidence and awareness.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    A player with tricks who can also pick a good pass - and chooses the pass as often as the trick - is worth their weight in gold if they can do it regularly. Lots of fingers crossed on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    A player with tricks who can also pick a good pass - and chooses the pass as often as the trick - is worth their weight in gold if they can do it regularly. Lots of fingers crossed on this one.
    My complaint I had with Jasper is that more often than not we didn't reach a conclusion of an attack when he had the ball - either a shot on goal, a goal, or a corner kick. He'd get caught in possession and the opposition would get a chance to counter.

The amount of times that Tavares has tried to get to the byline, been matched by pace for his opposition player but still been able to win a corner has been excellent, it all helps us keep possession and pressure on the opposition.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this season...what a turnaround !

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSn5XTTOFC0

Dunno if this link already been posted.
    I know highlights reels are made of carefully selected clips to show their best moments but there's no one in the Hibs team of last few seasons bar Boyle who you could make a show reel like that, similar story with most of the other teams ij the league. Jair has such fast feet.

I suspect his end product might be left wanting a bit initially but that can be worked on and improved, look at Sproule, Boyle and a great example is McGeady early in his career. I just hope the fans are patient with him because we could have a new star man on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this season...what a turnaround !
    Feel exactly the same. Was beginning to feel like I'd rather do something else on a Saturday under Maloney. Now I'm really excited about a league cup group stage game against Clyde. Really keen to see this team grow.

Must admit I’ve not been as impressed as others seem to have been.

That’s not a knock on him or criticising him, I just think he’s been pretty quiet in the two 45 minutes he’s played. I understand why some are really excited though.

I sometimes think some players are better in friendlies and I think he’s one that will be better in the competitive games. For example I think McLellend has looked good at centre half but once we’re playing St Johnstone etc who are launching balls in the box we could see a different player. Bigger pitches and with a crowd behind him will hopefully bring the best out of Tavares.

I’d keep playing him so he gets used to the league and standards, he can only improve.

Looks and upgrade on Jasper already. He has the trickery but also links well and plays a pass.

Hope he plays v Clyde.

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

That’s not a knock on him or criticising him, I just think he’s been pretty quiet in the two 45 minutes he’s played. I understand why some are really excited though.

I sometimes think some players are better in friendlies and I think he’s one that will be better in the competitive games. For example I think McLellend has looked good at centre half but once we’re playing St Johnstone etc who are launching balls in the box we could see a different player. Bigger pitches and with a crowd behind him will hopefully bring the best out of Tavares.

I’d keep playing him so he gets used to the league and standards, he can only improve.
    I actually agree with you

Agree, we've seen nowt yet. Hopefully he will put on a show in the cup next week in a proper game.

Couple of decent runs and tricks so far

Think he will have a stronger impact 4/5 months after he settles

Scottish football is very physical might take him a bit to adapt to that.

More upper muscle strengthening I think will be on the list for him.

All positive though, there’s a player in there

The pitch for the friendlies looked pretty small. Hopefully being on a bigger one will give him the space and time he needs on the ball

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Interesting for our first goal yesterday he made a run beyond the ball, not something we saw much of last season.

Might just have contributed to Youan getting that bit space to get his shot away.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Interesting for our first goal yesterday he made a run beyond the ball, not something we saw much of last season.

Might just have contributed to Youan getting that bit space to get his shot away.
    Definitely.

You can see in his movement and use of the ball he's great tactical awareness, even though he's only played 90 minutes so far he's creating space and comfortable on the ball.

If we can get him into isolated positions throughout the seasons I'd expect goals and assists but otherwise he looks a clever team player who's willing to work hard.

More to come but a promising start.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Definitely.

You can see in his movement and use of the ball he's great tactical awareness, even though he's only played 90 minutes so far he's creating space and comfortable on the ball.

If we can get him into isolated positions throughout the seasons I'd expect goals and assists but otherwise he looks a clever team player who's willing to work hard.

More to come but a promising start.
    I think this shows how beneficial it can be for a player to sign in the summer.

There’s a real feel good factor at the moment and everyone is excited again, players like Tavares are getting praised massively and people so far are being patient (rightly so).

But I wonder what peoples thoughts would have been if he signed in January.

I’m meaning more so because of Jasper, I think he was such an exciting young player with so much skill. In the end people got fed up of him because the team and manager were really struggling.

If he signed this summer and showed the skill he’s capable of in the first two friendlies I imagine everyone would be waxing lyrical about him.

I really do think Johnson is bringing back a feel good atmosphere though that hopefully brings the best out of everyone.

There’s a real feel good factor at the moment and everyone is excited again, players like Tavares are getting praised massively and people so far are being patient (rightly so).

I’m meaning more so because of Jasper, I think he was such an exciting young player with so much skill. In the end people got fed up of him because the team and manager were really struggling.

If he signed this summer and showed the skill he’s capable of in the first two friendlies I imagine everyone would be waxing lyrical about him.

I really do think Johnson is bringing back a feel good atmosphere though that hopefully brings the best out of everyone.
    The late great Eddie Turnbull said you build a team from the back. I think we are still a bit light there. Miller is a good acquisition but his main strength is going forward a bit like Cadden. We need another CB, two if Porto leaves. Tavares is another good signing and hopefully gets into positions to assist in goals and not just entertain us on the ball. Dont see him scoring many so hopefully he gets a good number of assists.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar

Not sure it was the window that was the issue and more the management. We've seen players come in during the winter window and have great success (Flo and McLaren for example). Jasper started well but it looked like the creativity was being coached out him, I felt the same about Melkerson.

I think Jasper would fared better in this team however where Jair benefits over him is Jair has pace to burn as well as fast feet, Jasper definitely wasn't as quick.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Tavares might well be an upgrade on Jasper, but I do think Jasper will become a good player.

Being signed mid-season and trying to play Maloneyball didn’t help him.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Tavares might well be an upgrade on Jasper, but I do think Jasper will become a good player.

He was absolutely murder in that game against Dundee and Maloney had been sacked few weeks before that so I don't think we can blame Maloneyball for his performances and it now seems that Maloneyball is getting the blame for every player who didn't perform last season
    I do agree that Maloney was clueless but some players just weren't good enough under Ross Maloney and Gray

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    He was absolutely murder in that game against Dundee and Maloney had been sacked few weeks before that so I don't think we can blame Maloneyball for his performances and it now seems that Maloneyball is getting the blame for every player who didn't perform last season
    I do agree that Maloney was clueless but some players just weren't good enough under Ross Maloney and Gray

Jasper didn’t play under Ross, SDG for whatever reason kept things much the same after Maloney was sacked so little chance to see an improvement. I maintain he is a promising player.

I’m comfortable blaming Maloney for most of our problems in the second half of the season, he was hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post

I'd have loved to have seen in Jasper what some people thought of him but I honestly think he'll be one of those players you find in the seventh or eighth tier of English football doing a lot of tricks and stepovers but not actually producing a great deal. His decision making was abysmal, passing poor, got himself into trouble a lot and was generally quite lightweight.

Occasionally could put a good ball into the box but more often than not was the living definition of "flatters to deceive".

A lot more hopeful about Tavares. First thought appears to be to hit the byline and get the ball forward and in the box, then to pass sideways or back to retain possession and then if that's not possible to win a set piece or throw in.

A lot of confidence, quick feet and I think he'll be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

I hope so, I’ve not seen anything of him so far to say he 100% will. I rated Jasper though and think he could have done well in a better team.

But like I said that’s based on two pre season friendlies on a small pitch so unfair to judge him.

Will take him a while to adjust I’m sure but the more games he gets the better he gets!

Testimonial Due
    Portuguese football is very physical. Like the SPL with a little more skill. He knows when to pass when there is nothing on unlike Kasperm

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I'd have loved to have seen in Jasper what some people thought of him but I honestly think he'll be one of those players you find in the seventh or eighth tier of English football doing a lot of tricks and stepovers but not actually producing a great deal. His decision making was abysmal, passing poor, got himself into trouble a lot and was generally quite lightweight.

Occasionally could put a good ball into the box but more often than not was the living definition of "flatters to deceive".

A lot more hopeful about Tavares. First thought appears to be to hit the byline and get the ball forward and in the box, then to pass sideways or back to retain possession and then if that's not possible to win a set piece or throw in.

A lot of confidence, quick feet and I think he'll be very good.
    I'm not sure there's much we can take from those friendlies, other than the team looked hungry, energetic and are probably better than League 2/lower League 1. I'm pretty sure Jasper would've also shone out there in that environment - sun, nice pitch, no pressure etc. Not making a negative judgement on Tavares, just think we need to wait and see when the tests are more robust and intense.

I do think you are being harsh on Jasper - I agree he was very frustrating when with us (in very difficult circumstances) but his potential is still very high. Still young (U21 international) and I would be amazed if the English seventh/eighth tiers are littered with players of his ability.
    Last edited by patlowe; 04-07-2022 at 11:53 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    A lot to prove for Tavares- he looks impressive on a sun kissed pitch in Portugal. Can he translate that to a slogfest on a wintry pitch at Tynie with the tackles flying in? Here's hoping!