hibs.net Messageboard

I just don't understand

Waterproof watches.

Admin if this is in the wrong place please delete and merge but it's not a peeve as such.

Unless you have a need to see the time for whatever reason whilst submerged, why is for example "waterproof to 50 metres" even a selling point?
    A friend showed me his nice new watch and seemed chuffed it had this level of waterproofing. Big deal. Who wears a watch whilst swimming or in the shower? And if you do, why?

2. Log in to remove the advert

It means you can wear the watch in the bath or shower and won't be affected by splashes or rain. My smart watch can measure stuff when I'm swimming.

Only 2% of the world's population has been further than 30 meters down (at least that's what the submarine tour guide told us at 31 meters down) so it does seem to be a bit pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It means you can wear the watch in the bath or shower and won't be affected by splashes or rain. My smart watch can measure stuff when I'm swimming.

Only 2% of the world's population has been further than 30 meters down (at least that's what the submarine tour guide told us at 31 meters down) so it does seem to be a bit pointless.
    2%?? So he’s saying that 140 million people have been 31 metres under the sea?

The waterproof to 50 metres denotes how much static pressure the watch has been tested to in lab conditions before failure.

In real world terms the bigger the distance, the more water resistant it is in everyday scenarios such as heavy rain or going to the beach.

You also have to remember a lot of luxury brands such as Omega and Rolex originally produced true aviator and dive watches. Seamaster, Submariner etc. The pressure changes on these watches demanded absolute precision engineering. A lot of the selling points on these watches now is that high quality, hand made or hand finished workmanship. A high water resistance rating is proof of said quality.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The waterproof to 50 metres denotes how much static pressure the watch has been tested to in lab conditions before failure.

In real world terms the bigger the distance, the more water resistant it is in everyday scenarios such as heavy rain or going to the beach.

You also have to remember a lot of luxury brands such as Omega and Rolex originally produced true aviator and dive watches. Seamaster, Submariner etc. The pressure changes on these watches demanded absolute precision engineering. A lot of the selling points on these watches now is that high quality, hand made or hand finished workmanship. A high water resistance rating is proof of said quality.
    Seems a bit like having a high end suv to do the school run to those without a passion for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Seems a bit like having a high end suv to do the school run to those without a passion for them.
    I dunno. I like to spend a good long time in the bath. My Casio G Shock (water resistant to 20 bars of pressure) is clearly money well spent. And 140 million Pacific Islanders who apparently take the submarine to work every day would agree.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    I wear mine when swimming because fit tracks my exercise. No I don’t swim 50m down but like has already been said it just means it’s more than capable of dealing with day to day water issues.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I wear mine when swimming because fit tracks my exercise. No I don’t swim 50m down but like has already been said it just means it’s more than capable of dealing with day to day water issues.
    Yup, the 50m thing means when you leave the hibs club and fall in a puddle due to having one too many the watch is waterproof to the sudden hit of water... so when you get home you're not telling your better half you've knackered yer new watch!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Yup, the 50m thing means when you leave the hibs club and fall in a puddle due to having one too many the watch is waterproof to the sudden hit of water... so when you get home you're not telling your better half you've knackered yer new watch!
    But you've pished your strides and split your heed open, watch is fine though ha

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEast View Post
    Waterproof watches.

Admin if this is in the wrong place please delete and merge but it's not a peeve as such.

Unless you have a need to see the time for whatever reason whilst submerged, why is for example "waterproof to 50 metres" even a selling point?
    A friend showed me his nice new watch and seemed chuffed it had this level of waterproofing. Big deal. Who wears a watch whilst swimming or in the shower? And if you do, why?

Many watch enthusiast's wouldn't even wash their hands with a 50m waterproof watch, certainly wouldn't go swimming or have a bath with them.

Decent divers from Seiko and Tudor and Orient are about 200m resistant and Rolex Submariners and Omega Seamasters are 300m water resistant, which are of course fine to go swimming with etc. If he really wanted to not impress you he could have shown you an Omega Ultra deep which is waterproof down to 6000 metres. Costs about £10k though.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 02-06-2022 at 07:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Cost of living crisis isn't hitting some people, either that or they are catching scallops for dinner

I definitely wouldn't go in a shower with a 50m rated watch. 100m aye but I wouldn't actually swim with anything less than 200m.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Why wear your watch in the shower, you have to take it off to dry your wrist under it anyway.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Why wear your watch in the shower, you have to take it off to dry your wrist under it anyway.
    Was thinking the same. Does the part under it spend its life not getting a good clean. Can understand fitness tracker watches in the pool but that's it

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I've had a fitbit versa for about three years. Wanted it because I could wear it in the pool at holiday time. Bought and read the small print. "There are occasions where devices become unusable when water gets in. If you take it into water, your choice, but we are not replacing it." Doesn't stop them claiming its safe up to 50m. For about £300, it wasn't worth the risk so I won't even wear it in the shower.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    I've had a fitbit versa for about three years. Wanted it because I could wear it in the pool at holiday time. Bought and read the small print. "There are occasions where devices become unusable when water gets in. If you take it into water, your choice, but we are not replacing it." Doesn't stop them claiming its safe up to 50m. For about £300, it wasn't worth the risk so I won't even wear it in the shower.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Out of interest what kind of watch is it?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Out of interest what kind of watch is it?
    I've deduced that it's a fitbit versa

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Many watch enthusiast's wouldn't even wash their hands with a 50m waterproof watch, certainly wouldn't go swimming or have a bath with them.

Decent divers from Seiko and Tudor and Orient are about 200m resistant and Rolex Submariners and Omega Seamasters are 300m water resistant, which are of course fine to go swimming with etc. If he really wanted to not impress you he could have shown you an Omega Ultra deep which is waterproof down to 6000 metres. Costs about £10k though.
    All these watches water resistant to lots of meters but many had leather straps that weren't at all waterproof and would come apart if exposed to water (hand washing, shower, bath).
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    I've deduced that it's a fitbit versa
    Was just skimming and missed that part

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    All these watches water resistant to lots of meters but many had leather straps that weren't at all waterproof and would come apart if exposed to water (hand washing, shower, bath).
    Dive watches will come with stainless steel, rubber, or material nato straps which are all fine under water. Not aware of any coming with leather straps....

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Dive watches will come with stainless steel, rubber, or material nato straps which are all fine under water. Not aware of any coming with leather straps....
    I think I have seen a Planet ocean with a leather strap. Just doesn't look right though