hibs.net Messageboard

Page 22 of 739 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122522 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The competitiveness from adults involved at youth levels 100% needs to go. Grown men shouting and swearing at referees, opposing managers and even players at very young age groups is common practice and toxic as hell.

I know of a young lad (under 10) who recently gave up football in favour of rugby having left the pitch in tears due to the vile abuse he revived from adult spectators for giving away a clumsy, but in no way malicious penalty. I completely understand his / his parents decision to do so and we will never know how good a player he might have went on to become.

Imagine acting that way towards a kid anywhere else in society except for a football game.

It's a joke. I'm shouting like 99% of the game, but there's a way to do it. I'm usually telling them to calm down or head up they'll get another chance, or telling them to go win the ball. There's a way to do assert competitiveness at that age, and it's by encouraging them, letting them know when to go win the ball back and when to sit, reminding them to lift their head.

Some coaches are brilliant like that, at that age I'll try praise the other team's players when they do something too as do some other coaches.

Then there's the ones that tell them to "bring him down if he's too fast", "buck your ideas up", " f*****g cheater ref", "he's a diving wee sh**e ref", " stop the fancy sh**e"
    All of this within the last 8 weeks of this season starting.

I coach 8 and 9-year-olds. None of them are divers, they're little guys that get pushed over easily, and absolutely none of them are intentionally trying to hurt anyone, at that age, everyones clumsy.

I had no idea the problems in our game until I started coaching and you see it with your own eyes. 45yo men re-living their failed careers vicariously through kids.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    You dont watch them, no pleasure etc but here you are moaning about them. A lot on here complaining about how bad Scotland are (they were tonight), then say they have no interest anyway. Okay then...
    Weird you pick on my post out of the pages of much worse moaning. I gave up on Scotland years ago, fun to watch the comments unfold here though. Never mind, hope you enjoyed the game 😏
    Last edited by OldEast; 12-06-2022 at 04:20 AM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1642 View Post
    One of the main problems Scotland have is that we haven’t produced a proper star player for an extremely long time. So many otherwise average nations have been carried for a generation by one great attacking player ( Lewandowski, Bale, Ronaldo, Modric, Ibrahimovic and Salah to name a few). We can’t even produce a decent premiership lever striker let alone a word beater. Add just one of the above into our team and it would be a complete game changer. Unfortunately there is no sign of this changing and just like the others before him, Clarke’s replacement when the time comes, will have the same sub standard pool to chose from.
    We have arguably 2 of the best left backs in world football, just so happens robertson is never really that good for scotland and tierney is injured

Weird reading all the posts pointing out what's wrong with the SFA, our set up with kids etc, I seem to remember reading these same arguments 10+ years ago and still nothing has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldot1981 View Post
    We have arguably 2 of the best left backs in world football, just so happens robertson is never really that good for scotland and tierney is injured
    They are both good, but world class naw!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Sorry no surprise we are losing. Getting to the last Euros was a fluke. Scotland as a football team just not good enough. I doubt we would qualify even if we had Pep or kopp as manager
    Not a fluke because you can only best what's in front of you but it's certainly true to say the back door route by which we qualified masked our true level. Personally I think the Nations League is a waste of time, especially playing games in the summer when most players will just be wanting a holiday.

As far as I can see Clarke has had plaudits for a number of performances but in terms of winning games that actually meant something against opponents with something to play for he has been nothing to write home about. Bit like the Strachan era.
    Last edited by He's here!; 12-06-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Depends how you define world class, but if there was a world XI not many other players would be pushing Robertson for the LB spot.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Weird reading all the posts pointing out what's wrong with the SFA, our set up with kids etc, I seem to remember reading these same arguments 10+ years ago and still nothing has been done.
    We’ve had a new SFA president for 3 years now. Any idea what reforms he has implemented? Or whether he’s still alive? Petrie appears to be continuing the SFA tradition of silently continuing doing what hasn’t worked for 30 odd years and wait for UEFA/FIFA to keep expanding tournaments until we all qualify by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Nothing but admiration for you travelling supporters. Through thick and thin You deserve more from this bunch of imposters led but the gormless Clarke. Enjoy your night pal you’ve earned it after that display.
    Not too hard to pick yourself up when you've got a night out in Dublin among the Irish to look forward to. Big part of the reason many travelled for this particular fixture I imagine.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Robertson plays consistently for one of the best teams in the world, there wont be many who are better, who would you pick in a world 11 at LB

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I've said it before on this thread, but the SFA is the problem. The way our game is organised is wrong. Bairns shouldn't be near an 11-a-side, size 5 game until they are about 15.

Perhaps, more worryingly, we need to just accept that Scotland isn't a fitba country anymore. We all mind parks choked with kids kicking a ball. It's no like that now. It's not the fault of PlayStations or xboxes,it's just that bairns don't like it like we did.

Edit: Realise that the two paragraphs conflict, but maybe the answer's in between. And it's still that we're finished.
    I think the appetite is there from the kids. I take the bairn to training on a Saturday morning and they have something like 150 kids turning up in the space of 4 hours. The standard of coaching isn’t good enough though, too many guys helping out that aren’t actually coaches. I get that they need to do that with the number of kids turning up but it can actually be quite painful to watch.

I've said it before on this thread, but the SFA is the problem. The way our game is organised is wrong. Bairns shouldn't be near an 11-a-side, size 5 game until they are about 15.

Perhaps, more worryingly, we need to just accept that Scotland isn't a fitba country anymore. We all mind parks choked with kids kicking a ball. It's no like that now. It's not the fault of PlayStations or xboxes,it's just that bairns don't like it like we did.

Edit: Realise that the two paragraphs conflict, but maybe the answer's in between. And it's still that we're finished.
    I get what you mean. There is still thousands of kids playing but they dont seem to have the hunger to give absolutely 100% in improving their game. It certainly starts with starting too early at 11s and in some cases being overcoached but it has to eventually come from within. Too many other sports and electronic devices to pull them away from football. Were kidding ourself on if we think it will get better in the next decade. It needs a radical overhaul but wont happen due to the two bigot bros who arent interested in the slightest in improving the set up. Trophies is all that matters to them.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 12-06-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    It's a joke. I'm shouting like 99% of the game, but there's a way to do it. I'm usually telling them to calm down or head up they'll get another chance, or telling them to go win the ball. There's a way to do assert competitiveness at that age, and it's by encouraging them, letting them know when to go win the ball back and when to sit, reminding them to lift their head.

Some coaches are brilliant like that, at that age I'll try praise the other team's players when they do something too as do some other coaches.

Then there's the ones that tell them to "bring him down if he's too fast", "buck your ideas up", " f*****g cheater ref", "he's a diving wee sh**e ref", " stop the fancy sh**e"
    All of this within the last 8 weeks of this season starting.

I coach 8 and 9-year-olds. None of them are divers, they're little guys that get pushed over easily, and absolutely none of them are intentionally trying to hurt anyone, at that age, everyones clumsy.

I had no idea the problems in our game until I started coaching and you see it with your own eyes. 45yo men re-living their failed careers vicariously through kids.
    I’ve started going to watch my nephew play from time to time (he’s 12).

I can only confess to being totally impressed with their set up. The conduct of the coaches and parents is controlled, the games are still 9 a side. Some of the ability on show is really impressive. They’re not exactly shrinking violets, wee boys are wee boys and the games don’t pass without their flashpoints and the referees need to be on their toes to ensure that robust games can carry on in a competitive manner without getting out of hand.

I always feel like we’re too quick to put the boot into the wrong people. We’re famed for the way we train coaches in this country and the commitment of players and coaches is really impressive.

We’ve got better players to pick from right now than at any point for a couple of decades. I think we need to stop the soul searching just because the national team has had a couple of poor performances.

Personally I think Steve Clarke needs to give himself a shake and that’s about it. We could do with Porto dropping the nonsense from his game because our team is crying out for a centre half who can play a bit and Porto and Souttar should be the bedrock of a defence for years to come.

A world class striker emerging would be useful but I don’t think it’s angry parents or kids starting playing 11s at 13 rather than 15 that is stopping us from producing one of those. It’s simply not that easy to produce a world class striker.

Good post. None of my kids continued to play football beyond their early years and while I took them all to Hibs matches they've all drifted away from that too. Each of them now plays different individual sports which, being honest, I get much more enjoyment out of watching and learning about these days than watching football - which I've come to believe is an over-rated game.

We bang on endlessly about why the Scottish football team continually fails to deliver yet the likes of Andy (and Jamie) Murray, Chris Hoy and Eve Muirhead (to name a few recent examples off the top of my head), have established themselves as world beaters in their fields. Football really doesn't need to be the only option out there for kids keen to follow a dream.

This video was shown at a school I was working at recently as part of a 'resilience' module and the way it grabbed the kids' attention (despite not being what you might call a mainstream sport) was stunning:

Role Models Keith Cook - YouTube
    Last edited by He's here!; 12-06-2022 at 11:09 AM.

I watch that joke of defending last night and play in general and wonder why Porteous or even Hanlon keep getting snubbed at International level, McKenna, Handley and Hendry FFS.

Gordon concedes a similar goal to cup final (both great strikes) straight at him he falls back and flails his arms in the air and ball flies into the net!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Alex Gogic playing for Cyprus versus N Ireland

Premier Sports now

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Alex Gogic playing for Cyprus versus N Ireland

Premier Sports now
    Luck he hasn't conceded 2 pens already....

Quote Originally Posted by Aldot1981 View Post
    Robertson plays consistently for one of the best teams in the world, there wont be many who are better, who would you pick in a world 11 at LB
    Indeed. Shown himself a world class player for 4 years now. Very few leftbacks on his level.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Luck he hasn't conceded 2 pens already....
    Stephen Craigan doing his nut in

Just like old times 😀

Conor McMenemin Glentoran looking lively

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Gordon concedes a similar goal to cup final (both great strikes) straight at him he falls back and flails his arms in the air and ball flies into the net!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think he tried tp push it away to safety when he should have just made sure he got his hand onto it, even if it meant it dropping down right in front of the goal.

N Ireland 0 v 1 Cyprus

Kakoullis

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    2-0 cyprus

goal check for offside......stands

N Ireland 0 v 2 Cyprus

Kakoullis

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    2 nil Cyprus. Northern Ireland a shambles, Gogic strolling it at the back now.

Can't imagine Ian Barraclough will be in a job too much longer.

Craigan spewing

Looks like 14 games without a win for Northern Ireland in the Nations League after today.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Looks like 14 games without a win for Northern Ireland in the Nations League after today.
    Yep really struggling fans not happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    We have to be grateful for small mercies!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    N Ireland 0 v 2 Cyprus

Kakoullis
    A mile offside!