hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Partick thistle in trouble?

Things don't look good at partick thistle and they don't seem to have any player's they can sell either . Tiffoney would probably have been there main asset and he's leaving for nothing which is a blow for them . I have respect for fans that follow clubs in Glasgow instead of becoming a old firm glory hunter like many others do . Hope they get out of the mess there in as I've never minded the Jags TBH .
    https://thejagsfoundation.co.uk/reac...ial-situation/
    Last edited by Donegal Hibby; 08-06-2023 at 09:08 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Surely there pals from gorgie will help them out

Never understood why Partick Thistle haven't actively pushed the club as the sane alternative to Glasgow's bigotfest. I don't mean in yer face 'support us we aint bigots' but in a more subtle way, in whatever form that may involve.

Perhaps even a subtle change to their badge to have it read 'Partick Thistle, Glasgow' in the same way as Hibs included Edinburgh in our badge at the start of the century. They could even actively push the club as the football destination for folk who don't want to be insignificant cogs in the massive corporate Ugly Sisters machine.

IMO they have missed a trick for decades by not aggressively marketing themselves as the alternative to Celtic and The Rangers and the club where religion or politics for that matter doesn't matter.

They jumped in to bed with hertz, stuff them.

Hope they’re able to steady the ship. Agree with those who have respect for the Jags and their supporters for turning their noses up at the widely available bigot fest in their city. I wanted them to win the playoffs.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Just shows the danger of living beyond your means and relying on donations with no certainty of continuation.

Partick were supported with donations from lottery winner Colin Weir for several years but he died in 2019 and they’ve not been able to cut expenditure to meet the change in circumstances.

Maybe they were gambling on promotion to bring in the required funds to balance their books and that failed too.

Hope they come through these financial problems as I would liked to see them in the Premier division.

@hibs.net private member
    Good.
    Have a combined bake sale with the charity thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never understood why Partick Thistle haven't actively pushed the club as the sane alternative to Glasgow's bigotfest. I don't mean in yer face 'support us we aint bigots' but in a more subtle way, in whatever form that may involve.

Perhaps even a subtle change to their badge to have it read 'Partick Thistle, Glasgow' in the same way as Hibs included Edinburgh in our badge at the start of the century. They could even actively push the club as the football destination for folk who don't want to be insignificant cogs in the massive corporate Ugly Sisters machine.

IMO they have missed a trick for decades by not aggressively marketing themselves as the alternative to Celtic and The Rangers and the club where religion or politics for that matter doesn't matter.
    From attending a few Jags games over my time here in Glasgow one thing I’ve learned is they’re very happy and proud to be that very alternative you speak of. Over the last 10-15 years they’ve made a lot of progress to become the team for many an immigrant to the city, especially in particular those younger and come to Glasgow for studies, as the student population is historically based not far from Maryhill. Connecting with such people is good in the short term, many go onto build lives elsewhere and that’s the long term problem.

It’s always a tough one as to how far they push the alternative image. Especially if they were ever to be completely open about being an alternative to sectarianism which of course would then bring the other two into somewhat disrepute. Obviously they’d be right, but we know how these things can go. Being named after Partick I’m not sure what difference adding Glasgow to the name or crest would make to be honest but I don’t see anything wrong with it- see West Ham.

Bottom line is, every team not just in Glasgow, Greater Glasgow but the whole country have similar issues that relate back to the overwhelming popularity of just two clubs. Regrettably, partick just happen to be the next door neighbour and until Scottish football can fundamentally change I don’t see that getting any better. Great club, great supporters and a great asset to the community. They’ve fought for years and I really hope they fight on for many more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    When I studied in Glasgow I lived 5 minutes from Firhill, so went to a fair few matches and still retain a soft spot for Thistle. At the time I started watching them, the Save the Jags campaign was going as funnily enough they were in financial trouble. The Thistle fans are brilliant and I know they’ll do everything they can to rally round their club like they have done previously. Jacqui Low taking control was a disaster for the club, she ran it with scant regard for the good of the club and it’s only now she’s gone that the full extent of the problem has come to light.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    They should really have been suspended from football for the crime of demolishing one of the great behind goal terraces and replacing it with an open empty space of nothingness.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Forgive me, I keep reading people getting knickers in a twist.

What actually happened?

Cheers

J

Surely Hearts will help them out? Brothers in arms and all that.
    Last edited by Since452; 09-06-2023 at 05:26 AM.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great wee club, hope they can resolve their issues.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Think being fair any club would have done the same to try and stop relegation and Hearts were happy to lead so why wouldn't they suppport it. Some of Hearts tactics and behaviour was certainly unedifying that is for sure though.

I don't really mind the whole Hearts thing. Looking at it objectively the covid season was harsh on the teams involved (not that I can think of an obvious alternative that wouldn't have pissed off someone else). Had it been Hibs I'd have expected us to kick up a fuss too and 99.9% of people on here would be the same, whether they admit it to themselves now or not. In such situations you take allies where you can find them.

They have always struck me as a decent fanbase and a decent club. I tip my hat to anyone in the west who chooses not to support Celtic or Rangers. I met a guy the other day, his dad and brother are Hamilton fans and he supports Celtic, I instantly lost a bit of respect for him as that is the definition of a glory hunter. It's not something you can level at Partick Thistle fans.

Many on here know what it means to almost lose your club and there aren't many fanbases I would wish that on. I hope they pull through.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    The "good" posts, while I understand the reasoning, are poor.

Thistle is a good club with real fans. They jumped into bed with Hearts to try to stop their relegation, Hibs would have been the same had it been us.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Noticed that Queens Park agreed to rent Hamdump from the SFA even although they have a purpose built Lesser Hampden in anticipation of a return to the big time but have decided to go ahead with it in any case for next season in the Championship

The Partick Thistle

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Forgive me, I keep reading people getting knickers in a twist.

What actually happened?

Cheers

J
    They jumped on the bandwagon around the covid season about unfair relegations and promotions - them and Stranraer I think it was? - and tried to push through league reconstruction purely to save their own skins.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Noticed that Queens Park agreed to rent Hamdump from the SFA even although they have a purpose built Lesser Hampden in anticipation of a return to the big time but have decided to go ahead with it in any case for next season in the Championship
    Leaser Hampden capacity will only be 1000 initially

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    They jumped on the bandwagon around the covid season about unfair relegations and promotions - them and Stranraer I think it was? - and tried to push through league reconstruction purely to save their own skins.
    That season with the outbreak of COVID was unprecedented and the season had to be called to a early end . I think if we had been in hertz position and complained partick would have sided with us too and it wasn't down to them loving hertz more just about partick's own self preservation.

Hertz caused quite a fuzz I seem to remember about it too . They were 4 points off safety and had only won 4 games out of a possible 30 that season and there was little evidence they were going to escape the drop anyhow . They'd also played the same amount of games as teams above them .

Partick on the other hand had only lost 1 in there last 5 and were only 2 points behind QotS having played a game less. With the season coming to a abrupt end there was always going to be clubs unhappy especially the ones in the relegation spots though I do have a certain sympathy for partick in they had played a game less than the team above them which might have made all the difference in there survival.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Think the idea is to increase the original intended capacity of Lesser. They’re due to kick off the season there before moving across to the big ground at some point, ideally finishing the season back at a increased Lesser. Wonder though if this would’ve gone ahead without the addition of Dundee United and Dunfermline in next seasons league? Both with anticipated large away followings.

Quote Originally Posted by Donegal Hibby View Post
    That season with the outbreak of COVID was unprecedented and the season had to be called to a early end . I think if we had been in hertz position and complained partick would have sided with us too and it wasn't down to them loving hertz more just about partick's own self preservation.

Hertz caused quite a fuzz I seem to remember about it too . They were 4 points off safety and had only won 4 games out of a possible 30 that season and there was little evidence they were going to escape the drop anyhow . They'd also played the same amount of games as teams above them .

Partick on the other hand had only lost 1 in there last 5 and were only 2 points behind QotS having played a game less. With the season coming to a abrupt end there was always going to be clubs unhappy especially the ones in the relegation spots though I do have a certain sympathy for partick in they had played a game less than the team above them which might have made all the difference in there survival.
    I’d have had sympathy for all the clubs involved if their self interest wasn’t so painfully obvious.

From what I can remember it wasn’t that they were campaigning for no promotion/relegation, it was that they wanted the leagues reconstructed to suit them.

My memories from the time are a bit hazy though.

Is the champagne still on ice?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    League reconstruction was an idea that might have gained support from a lot of fans, even if the proposal had come from Hearts, it's discussed on here a lot. Where Hearts went wrong, as only Hearts can, was to suggest doing it for one season, showing it to be simply for the benefit of them with no thought about any long term benefits to Scottish football.

FxzKJxPXgAAVNWD.jpg

Wondered why they had a flag with the Hearts crest on it when they played Ayr in the playoffs. Forgot about their love in. Delighted they didn't get promoted. Champagne on ice for another day.

They were groomed.

Karma, **** them

I also see Livi are without a shirt sponser for next season. They're down a hole already but that will be a further blow to them if they can't get anyone.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    League reconstruction was an idea that might have gained support from a lot of fans, even if the proposal had come from Hearts, it's discussed on here a lot. Where Hearts went wrong, as only Hearts can, was to suggest doing it for one season, showing it to be simply for the benefit of them with no thought about any long term benefits to Scottish football.
    Exactly this, it was pure self interest from all the clubs pushing the proposals.

I didn't even remember that it was for one season only. What would have happened following season? 2 or even 3 relegations with clubs that might have been miles off bottom spot dragged in to the mire to protect Hearts top flight status?

**** them, and all who supported them.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    FxzKJxPXgAAVNWD.jpg

Wondered why they had a flag with the Hearts crest on it when they played Ayr in the playoffs. Forgot about their love in. Delighted they didn't get promoted. Champagne on ice for another day.

Most of their fans, going by the posts on their forum, thought that was embarrassing.

To me it's like the guys that turned up at a game between Hibs and St Mirren and displayed a flag with an Irish rebel leader on it... which some folk tried to explain with 'but he was a Hibs Supporter'.

You get strange people in every support.