hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: French Open.

Match is done, such a real pity as it was shaping up to be a classic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Feel almost guilty for it given all the things going on in the real world, but those scenes tugged on the emotions a bit!

Supporting Rafa as I always do but was gutted for the big fellae there. Hope he’s back fit sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Feel almost guilty for it given all the things going on in the real world, but those scenes tugged on the emotions a bit!

Supporting Rafa as I always do but was gutted for the big fellae there. Hope he’s back fit sooner rather than later.
    I think he'll struggle to make Wimbledon based on today's scenes.

Never want to see any match finish like that especially one of that standard.

Great shame for Zverev.

Yet more astonishing play from Nadal to win that first set tho. At 36 his stamina is extraordinary. I suspect his greater experience would have seen him win even if Zverev hadn't got injured.

I've long regarded Federer as the greatest ever, not only due to him being the first to reach 20 slams but due to the all-round perfection of his game. However if Nadal wins on Sunday he'll have pulled two slams clear of him and the way he's playing who would bet against him?

Be good if he could put further distance between himself and that tool Djokovic as well.
    Last edited by He's here!; 03-06-2022 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Great shame for Zverev.

Yet more astonishing play from Nadal to win that first set tho. At 36 his stamina is extraordinary. I suspect his greater experience would have seen him win even if Zverev hadn't got injured.

I've long regarded Federer as the greatest ever, not only due to him being the first to reach 20 slams but due to the all-round perfection of his game. However if Nadal wins on Sunday he'll have pulled two slams clear of him and the way he's playing who would bet against him?

Be good if he could put further distance between himself and that tool Djokovic as well.
    I also think Nadal would have gone on to win the match today regardless, his shot making at times was absolutely phenomenal. He was 6-2 down in that first set tiebreak and one of the shots in particular, I think it was maybe when he was 6-4 down, was incredible.

At 36 years of age to still play like he did today is quite awe inspiring. His fitness levels are quite unbelievable.

On the topic of who is the GOAT, I think Federer still has a reasonable claim to that title.

Whilst Nadal is currently in possession of the most Grand Slam titles, 13 of his 21 titles have come at the French Open and he has "only" won 4 at the US Open and 2 each at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Whereas on the other hand Federer has won 5+ titles at Wimbledon, the Australian Open and the US Open so I think that indicates that he has a bit more variety to his game.

Nadal is undoubtedly one of the greatest tennis players to ever pick up a racket and is obviously by far the greatest clay court player ever. I also find him to be a very likeable player and person but for me I would still place Roger Federer as the greatest.

I'm also not a fan of Djokovic but the three of them have taken tennis to an unprecedented level over the last 15 years or so and we are unlikely to see their likes again for a very long time.

They have all pushed one another onto achieving new records and for 3 of them to come along at one time is quite extraordinary.

Casper Ruud looking good just now v Marin Cilic.

Cilic won the first set but Ruud won set two and is a break up in the third.

Ruud v Cilic has been paused after a protestor has run onto the court and tied herself to the net.

Casper Ruud wins in 4 sets v Marin Cilic to set up a French Open final v Rafael Nadal on Sunday.

Ruud becomes the first Norwegian to reach a Grand Slam singles final and is also bidding to become the first Scandinavian man to win a Grand Slam singles title for 20 years.

I think you guys are probably right re Nadal the most likely winner, but had Zverev played and won that tie break it would have been very interesting.

Sadly I agree with SDG about Sacha's chances of being fit for Wimbledon. Unlikely he can recover in time and even more unlikely he’ll be able to do himself justice even if he can make court.

I hope to be watching another Nadal title on Sunday. Also hope it’s a match played to a finish with a deserved winner, and not a repeat of what happened today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I also think Nadal would have gone on to win the match today regardless, his shot making at times was absolutely phenomenal. He was 6-2 down in that first set tiebreak and one of the shots in particular, I think it was maybe when he was 6-4 down, was incredible.

At 36 years of age to still play like he did today is quite awe inspiring. His fitness levels are quite unbelievable.

On the topic of who is the GOAT, I think Federer still has a reasonable claim to that title.

Whilst Nadal is currently in possession of the most Grand Slam titles, 13 of his 21 titles have come at the French Open and he has "only" won 4 at the US Open and 2 each at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

Whereas on the other hand Federer has won 5+ titles at Wimbledon, the Australian Open and the US Open so I think that indicates that he has a bit more variety to his game.

Nadal is undoubtedly one of the greatest tennis players to ever pick up a racket and is obviously by far the greatest clay court player ever. I also find him to be a very likeable player and person but for me I would still place Roger Federer as the greatest.

I'm also not a fan of Djokovic but the three of them have taken tennis to an unprecedented level over the last 15 years or so and we are unlikely to see their likes again for a very long time.

They have all pushed one another onto achieving new records and for 3 of them to come along at one time is quite extraordinary.
    Yes it's a tough call and I'm inclined to agree Federer remains the greatest. Nevertheless, if Nadal were to win tomorrow then 14 French Open titles (to Federer's solitary Paris title) would be a mind-boggling achievement.

Both are far greater champions on and off the court than Djokovic, whose grinding, human wall tactics are a turn-off, while his arrogant, self-serving off-court behaviour (particularly during Covid/the Australian deportation saga) has justifiably brought about the booing which now accompanies his every appearance.

Shame for Andy Murray that he came to prominence during such an era. I honestly believe he pushed himself so hard in that momentous 2015/2016 spell (Davis Cup, Wimbledon title, Olympic gold, world No 1 spot) that his body simply had no more to give.

First Team Breakthrough
    Fairly one sided women's final , Swiatek a different class

35 wins in a row for Swiatek as she beats Coco Gauff 6-1 6-3 in just over an hour.

It will be interesting to see if she can continue her winning run over the grass court season.

35 wins in a row for Swiatek as she beats Coco Gauff 6-1 6-3 in just over an hour.

It will be interesting to see if she can continue her winning run over the grass court season.
    She won’t. Superb on hard court and clay but grass is a different matter.
    She will win Wimbledon one day I think, but not this year. I assume she will play Eastbourne but the fear factor will not be there from her opponents.

Yes it's a tough call and I'm inclined to agree Federer remains the greatest. Nevertheless, if Nadal were to win tomorrow then 14 French Open titles (to Federer's solitary Paris title) would be a mind-boggling achievement.

Both are far greater champions on and off the court than Djokovic, whose grinding, human wall tactics are a turn-off, while his arrogant, self-serving off-court behaviour (particularly during Covid/the Australian deportation saga) has justifiably brought about the booing which now accompanies his every appearance.

Shame for Andy Murray that he came to prominence during such an era. I honestly believe he pushed himself so hard in that momentous 2015/2016 spell (Davis Cup, Wimbledon title, Olympic gold, world No 1 spot) that his body simply had no more to give.

I think Andy would have comfortably made double figures in majors had even one of those three not been there. I also wonder if being British, where not only has he set incredible standards compared to his predecessors, but also carried the weight of expectation of the British crowds, the only one of the four to have a home slam.

I think you’re also right about that period of time where he dominated all, it took such a phenomenal effort.

he should rightly go down as one of britains greatest sportsmen

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I think Andy would have comfortably made double figures in majors had even one of those three not been there. I also wonder if being British, where not only has he set incredible standards compared to his predecessors, but also carried the weight of expectation of the British crowds, the only one of the four to have a home slam.

I think you’re also right about that period of time where he dominated all, it took such a phenomenal effort.

he should rightly go down as one of britains greatest sportsmen
    He definitely would have had around 10-12 titles without one of those three.

He's obviously won 3 Grand Slam titles in his career but he's been in a further 8 finals - 3 losses to Federer and 5 to Djokovic.

He's been particularly unlucky in Australia losing 5 times which is actually a record at that Grand Slam. Only Djokovic (6 times at the US Open) has lost more Grand Slam finals at a single event.

Nadal got an early break to lead 2-0 first set but Ruud broke straight back.

Ruud serving at 1-2 first set.

Rafa breaks again - 3-1.

Ruud breaks to go 3-1 up.

He's playing really well just now.

Nadal breaks straight back.

Second set to Nadal 6-3.

All over now I'd say.

Nadal breaks in the third set - 2-0.

Too easy.

Nadal wins 6-3 6-3 6-0.

Very one sided match, Nadal wins an unbelievable 14th French Open title.

Nadal wins 6-3 6-3 6-0.

Very one sided match, Nadal wins an unbelievable 14th French Open title.
    Phenomenal. One of sport's greatest ever champions. Some might say THE greatest.

Phenomenal. One of sport's greatest ever champions. Some might say THE greatest.
    14 titles at one tournament is absolutely incredible, the King of Clay strikes again.

He's only lost three matches in his entire career at Roland Garros and two of these defeats were to Djokovic.

22 victories in 30 Grand Slam finals is also quite an extraordinary record.

Another incredible achievement today at the French Open was British pair Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewett winning their 10th straight Grand Slam title together in the men's wheelchair doubles.

The last Grand Slam title they failed to win was 2019 Wimbledon.

Outstanding.

Another incredible achievement today at the French Open was British pair Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewett winning their 10th straight Grand Slam title together in the men's wheelchair doubles.

The last Grand Slam title they failed to win was 2019 Wimbledon.

Outstanding.
    Yep big well done to them. Terrific record.

14 titles at one tournament is absolutely incredible, the King of Clay strikes again.

He's only lost three matches in his entire career at Roland Garros and two of these defeats were to Djokovic.

22 victories in 30 Grand Slam finals is also quite an extraordinary record.
    Once he beat Novak, I thought Sasha would win the semi. We all know what happened
    Brilliant tournament from Rafa though.
    Last edited by hibeg; 06-06-2022 at 05:33 AM.