hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Dated a Rangers fan from Ardrossan for a bit.

Got introduced to her dad as "this is Cameron, we've been seeing each other a while now and he's a Hibs fan". It was a family party, but I had no idea they were all staunch Orangemen belonging to lodges. His first question was " catholic?"

Had to sit through hours of bigoted music and couldn't say a word about it, just had to smile and wave.

Split up a few weeks later 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Got introduced to her dad as "this is Cameron, we've been seeing each other a while now and he's a Hibs fan". It was a family party, but I had no idea they were all staunch Orangemen belonging to lodges. His first question was " catholic?"

Split up a few weeks later ��
    Told this story before, but I dated a lassie from Uphall when doing my Highers. Lovely girl, I visited her house only once. Parents were very nice to me and we chatted away, then they got out the family photos, including at the the most recent Orange Walk in Broxburn:

"I don't think they would want me there."
    "How no?"
    "I'm Catholic and a Hibs fan." Wee chuckle, thinking nothing of it.

The atmosphere suddenly cooled and her parents looked very pale. I was never invited back and we broke up not long after. She never said why, but I knew the score.: The Fenian has to go
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I know a few Jambos who are absolutely top guys, wouldn't wish bad on any of them.

Two things:

1) I actually didn't want them to go out of existence when they paid the price for supping with the Devil.

2) I did think it was unfair being relegated with enough games to go to technically save themselves, no matter how pish they had been all season.

But if I needed a reminder of how much I detest their club, of how much they are still up themselves even after a lesson that should have taught them some humility, then the number of times I had 'wee team' shouted at me as I made my way on my own from Hampden to Queen's street station after the semi final was enough ... I wouldn't want the *******s to win the toss up, never mind a game of fitba.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Something I’m not proud of and not something I would normally admit to but I’ve had a few beers and this seems like a safe environment to confess to this sort of thing.

I like that song Rangers have been playing after winning in Europe recently, think they played it after todays game too.

Apologies to all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I know a few Jambos who are absolutely top guys, wouldn't wish bad on any of them.

Two things:

1) I actually didn't want them to go out of existence when they paid the price for supping with the Devil.

2) I did think it was unfair being relegated with enough games to go to technically save themselves, no matter how pish they had been all season.

But if I needed a reminder of how much I detest their club, of how much they are still up themselves even after a lesson that should have taught them some humility, then the number of times I had 'wee team' shouted at me as I made my way on my own from Hampden to Queen's street station after the semi final was enough ... I wouldn't want the *******s to win the toss up, never mind a game of fitba.
    Agree. It was unfair.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    My old man my best mate is 92 this year and has followed Hearts for over 85 years. Tynecastle one week ER the next. Took me to ER every time he could and sat on his hands when we played them in derbies. Sat in the Hibs end when they beat us in 2012 and said nothing and sat with me at the 2016 final and cheered like hell for me and Hibs when we won. He couldn’t have been more chuffed for us.

There are good Hearts people but he’s the Best man in the world Jambo or not.
    Genuinely lovely post!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Agree. It was unfair.
    Really old ground here but that’s something I’ve just never understood. There was clearly no other viable alternative. They were perhaps quite unfortunate but there was nothing unfair about it.

**** them.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Really old ground here but that’s something I’ve just never understood. There was clearly no other viable alternative. They were perhaps quite unfortunate but there was nothing unfair about it.

**** them.
    Fair enough, but I would have been furious had that been Hibs.

Fair enough, but I would have been furious had that been Hibs.
    I don’t doubt a lot of Hibs fans would be.

I’m quite pragmatic about these things and I genuinely think I would have understood that there was no other option and we had to go down. If it was me in charge, I would have tried to negotiate a far more realistic compensation package for going down as compensation.

FWIW I found that whole period absolutely fantastic and I still look back and laugh at some of the rubbish they spouted at the time.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Told this story before, but I dated a lassie from Uphall when doing my Highers. Lovely girl, I visited her house only once. Parents were very nice to me and we chatted away, then they got out the family photos, including at the the most recent Orange Walk in Broxburn:

"I don't think they would want me there."
    "How no?"
    "I'm Catholic and a Hibs fan." Wee chuckle, thinking nothing of it.

The atmosphere suddenly cooled and her parents looked very pale. I was never invited back and we broke up not long after. She never said why, but I knew the score.: The Fenian has to go

Aye same was never asked back 😂. Mind Stokes lived in Uphall and the Orange Walk would stop outside his gaff everytime haha

Aye same was never asked back 😂. Mind Stokes lived in Uphall and the Orange Walk would stop outside his gaff everytime haha
    It's a pathetic state of affairs, but it still exists.

I don’t doubt a lot of Hibs fans would be.

I’m quite pragmatic about these things and I genuinely think I would have understood that there was no other option and we had to go down. If it was me in charge, I would have tried to negotiate a far more realistic compensation package for going down as compensation.

FWIW I found that whole period absolutely fantastic and I still look back and laugh at some of the rubbish they spouted at the time.
    It absolutely was funny, but I won't pretend that if it had been Hibs I wouldn't have been raging as well.

For me this would have been a good chance to expand the premiership to at least 14 teams, a situation which would have kept everybody happy. Of course as only they can Hearts turned absolutely everybody against the concept by suggesting the league be expanded for a single season, a move that was so blatantly self serving even clubs who might have thought expansion was a good idea were turned off. If ever anything summed up Hearts as a club it was that moment, no wonder they are the most hated club in Scotland outside of the Ugly Sisters.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ltyf?

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Ah. He had his. I had mine. Brain not functioning so well up here this evening!
    I was only joking.

My old man my best mate is 92 this year and has followed Hearts for over 85 years. Tynecastle one week ER the next. Took me to ER every time he could and sat on his hands when we played them in derbies. Sat in the Hibs end when they beat us in 2012 and said nothing and sat with me at the 2016 final and cheered like hell for me and Hibs when we won. He couldn’t have been more chuffed for us.

This exemplifies the pinnacle of human evolution. However, as it involves football rivalry, it's just too weird and I cannot relate to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tubs View Post
    This exemplifies the pinnacle of human evolution. However, as it involves football rivalry, it's just too weird and I cannot relate to it.
    You savage

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I do like a nice maroon 100% polyester blazer with gold coloured plastic buttons and a big pocket for showing of my collection of biros.

Works brilliantly with beige corduroy strides.

M

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    I do like a nice maroon 100% polyester blazer with gold coloured plastic buttons and a big pocket for showing of my collection of biros.

Works brilliantly with beige corduroy strides.

M

Union Jack socks and Y-fronts?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

Had to sit through hours of bigoted music and couldn't say a word about it, just had to smile and wave.

Split up a few weeks later 😂
    I’ve only ever slept with Rangers fans. It must be a fetish! I’m about to go onto Rangers fan wife #2… this one is a bit more hardcore than the others in that she has actually had a season ticket to Ibrox.

I spent probably a half season at tynecastle over 2 years.
    All my mates bar 1 were Jambos growing up.
    Was asked time and again to switch.
    No chance,live and Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Union Jack socks and Y-fronts?
    No mate, all beige except the blazer, favourite colour especially the matching shirt & tie set.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Something I’m not proud of and not something I would normally admit to but I’ve had a few beers and this seems like a safe environment to confess to this sort of thing.

I like that song Rangers have been playing after winning in Europe recently, think they played it after todays game too.

Apologies to all concerned.
    I’m feeling it. Absolute belter, better when used when they get beat though.

“Alexa play I’m feeling it” was used on Wednesday evening.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    About 30 years ago I owned a maroon C17 baseball jacket, it was very smart. IIRC I bought it in a shop on Shandwick Place which is long gone.
    😂

Left by mutual consent!
    Jam tarts are decent.

It's not really a confession. I started going to football in1963.

My father, a Cambridge Blue footballer and ex-Elgin City player in the old Highland League, used to take me to games at Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the next.

Lucky to have a car, we went all over the place in the sixties to watch football. We saw Falkirk beat Celtic 6-2 on a pouring wet night.

Johnny Graham was the star with a hattrick. A year later and Celtic were European Champions.

We sat in the Ibrox stand behind a row of blind men, who had friends describing the action to them in a commentary better than Bob Crampsey.

We saw Billy McNeill rise to score the winner against Dunfermline in the cup final which set off their great run.

We saw Hibs score four goals in the first twenty minutes at Tynecastle in 1965 and seven goals without reply in 1973. Great memories.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    I like cardigans

and my dad once owned a rover
    And mine a Volvo. He works in insurance.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    What views do you hold that would see you labelled as a yam and get a LTYF faster than HC on a Paul Hanlon appreciation thread? What's the least Hibby opinion, action or trait that you have? Time to let it out and look for redemption from the wider Hibs community.

Here's mines: Much as I love taking the Michael out of him, much as he's a pantomime villain - I think Craig Levein is a genuinely funny man and would be my choice for "Jambo I'd most like a pint with". Think he plays up the role of pantomime villain perfectly and is really funny on Sacked in the Morning with plenty good banter and self deprecating humour. I'll never also not find it funny that he had a chance to win the league but quite literally shat it. I do like the guy.

What's yours?
    Totally agree about Craig Levein. He's dry as hell but that's what Fifers are like and they're a marmite breed if you don't get them.
    I cringe when I see us getting wound up about his wind ups.

And this stuff about him deliberately missing Dens is very harsh. Love him or loathe him he's no *****bag, as his dealings with hard man Graeme Hogg and the United interview after Ibrox will testify

I like Levein too. Very dry sense of humour and he's excellent in Sacked in The Morning. I also like Paul Hartley. He enjoyed getting one over on us but it was understandable. He also took the stick he got in good spirits.

In terms of a really dark confession. When I was about 5 or 6 I went to a Hearts v Celtic game with my cousin. I sat in the Hearts end and wore a Hearts scarf. I knew then it felt wrong and 30 years on it's still a shameful burden I carry.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    In the 80s I had a pair of sta-presed maroon trousers. The only time I've ever wore maroon but they were quite fashionable at the time. 😄

I think we need more stories like this