hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can those who are all hysterical about Johnson name an example of a non Old Firm team in Scotland, making what they would consider to be an ambitious appointment?
    George Burley for Hearts, Steve Clarke and Derek McInnes for Killie, Neil Lennon for Hibs, Paul Hartley for Cove, Ray McKinnon for Queen's Park

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    2012/13 Aberdeen, Derek McInness. They saw the hole that opened up withThe Rangers demise and backed him with real money to become the 2nd best team by a distance. The only thing that stopped them doing well was a vg Celtic team going for 10IAR and winning trebles.
    When Aberdeen appointed McInnes he had just been sacked by Bristol City with the team sitting at the bottom of the championship.

Livid at the hypocrisy of the new appointment

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Exactly, I suggest that by appointing Maloney we were being ambitious, look how that turned out! Appreciate that we all think Hibs are a big deal but who do we honestly expect to appoint as a manager other than people relatively new to management, managers already up here or guys from lower leagues in England.
    Although I disagreed with the appointment of our previous manager, I understood it was a gamble which might have worked, even if it was a long shot and I rarely comment on this forum as people do have a wide variety of opinions and I am reluctant to engage in a possible war of words with people who are obviously unarmed, but I am so livid at the hypocrisy behind the current appointment, I feel the need to comment on this occasion. For the owner to pretend that Hibs are an ambitious club and then make this appointment is just a joke and I cannot understand how anyone can defend it, apart from Hearts supporters. One of the definitions of madness, is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result and yet we appoint yet another ex Sunderland failure. If the club cannot attract a better class of manager, then fine, just admit it right from the start and I would accept the appointment of an up and coming Scottish manager, in those circumstances, rather than pretend that the appointment of a second rate English manager was ambitious.
    I am also of the opinion that the playing squad is often of more importance than the actual manager and the signing of some good players might bring future success to Hibs, no matter who the manager is. However, the lack of ambition behind the managerial appointment does not bode well for our future activity in the transfer market and I fully support the actions of those fans who will not renew their season tickets until the current owner either shapes up or ships out.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    It's not the appointment the vast majority of fans (from the poll on here) wanted, instead we've got the same kind of appointment we always seem to go for. To go back to a recent interview instead of getting the Ferrari we've ended up with, well, not even a Toyota.

When Ron came in he said something along the lines of wanting to challenge at the top of the league, taken to mean challenge Celtic for the title.

We have been told our commercial operations are at record levels and rising, we have record amounts of cash in the bank, the commercial side of the club seems to be delivering what is says.

Where is the ambition and investment on the Football side of things?

If not on the playing/management side of things where is the investment going? A new hospitality Suit wont save us from another season of turgid football next season.

How long are we going to sit and accept the soundbites from the Board and owner without questioning the lack of improvement?

We need to get the excitement and joy back in all aspects of the club before it's too late.
    Unbelievable. Go join Kickback

Don’t know a lot about him but being realistic we were never getting a Roy Keane or a Tomasson .
    He’s got all summer to put a team together and get things organized . Here’s hoping he hits the ground running and gets us winning again .
    Welcome aboard Lee , used to be a Jambo but he’s alright now

Quote Originally Posted by Steve88 View Post
    Unbelievable. Go join Kickback

Aye,there's nought as queer as folk.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 18-05-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    FFS ..... The guy's last two jobs were Bristol City and Sunderland, two clubs with probably ten times the spending power of Hibs, why didn't they appoint a stellar name instead of Lee Johnson? Could it be he interviewed well and persuaded them he had something to offer and lets not even pretend the fact that he was sacked from these two jobs means anything, if that was a factor in deciding whether or not a manager could do a job at your club practically 90% of current European managers would still be signing on.

Lets give the guy a bloody chance and in my opinion the real test of Hibs ambition isn't appointing this manager, it's how we back him in the summer transfer window, fail to do that properly and then it will be time to get seriously worried.

So basically lets stop wetting the sodding bed over this and give the guy a chance ... oh and just to be clear I couldn't give a flying *@"# if he played for Hearts, I stand to be corrected but I'm willing to bet he wouldn't even make the top 300 of Hearts fans greatest or most memorable players.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    At the time he was there the top earner was on less than £9k a week, so they aren't massively above our levels of pay, considering what Boyle and Meuller were on.
    Nobody knows what they were on. The reported £10k a week for Mueller has NEVER been confirmed. It was a random figure plucked out the air.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    You are allowed to express your opinion and if you post it on here then fans are allowed to express their opinion of your opinion.
    There’s a difference between replying with an actual opinion and just saying “some fan you are he’s not even started yet” etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    This post wasn’t meant to be a dig at the (reported) new manager, I was more questioning the boards role in proceeding.
    I think they talk a good game but what they deliver is far from convincing.
    There are similarities at hibs to why kensell left Norwich, this won’t work out well for us.
    But ultimately I don’t trust what Ron is telling us.
    Why is he so keen to buy up supporter held shares? why does he not want hsl to have a voice or to increase their shareholding?
    Why is he so keen to get rid of all remnants of the previous regime, long standing hibs people removed from the club.
    Where did the money come from to buy hibs, was it his, did it come from a third party, is as it a loan from the offshore bank he’s involved with?
    These are quite important details that remain unanswered but no one seems to care.
    We keep getting promised or expect the Ferrari is on its way but so far there’s is no sign.

This will increase the calls that I’m a yam but I can assure you I’m not. I’ll be in my seat in the west again next season as it a what i do rather than in any real expectation now.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    This post wasn’t meant to be a dig at the (reported) new manager, I was more questioning the boards role in proceeding.
    I think they talk a good game but what they deliver is far from convincing.
    There are similarities at hibs to why kensell left Norwich, this won’t work out well for us.
    But ultimately I don’t trust what Ron is telling us.
    Why is he so keen to buy up supporter held shares? why does he not want hsl to have a voice or to increase their shareholding?
    Why is he so keen to get rid of all remnants of the previous regime, long standing hibs people removed from the club.
    Where did the money come from to buy hibs, was it his, did it come from a third party, is as it a loan from the offshore bank he’s involved with?
    These are quite important details that remain unanswered but no one seems to care.
    We keep getting promised or expect the Ferrari is on its way but so far there’s is no sign.

This will increase the calls that I’m a yam but I can assure you I’m not. I’ll be in my seat in the west again next season as it a what i do rather than in any real expectation now.
    The bits in bold.

Is he trying to buy supporter-held shares?

Not sure what your concern is about the financing. He has a long, and public, business record which is open to a fair amount of scrutiny. Whether it's his money, borrowed from another of his companies, or a bank (onshore or off) is surely not that much of a concern. Were there rumblings of a Romanov or Qatari-type, you might have a point. But are there?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigHibee View Post
    While I'm not overly joyed, who knows he might do well if he's appointed just need to see what happens. Any new manager is potential a risk but I'm prepared to give him a bit time

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Can those who are all hysterical about Johnson name an example of a non Old Firm team in Scotland, making what they would consider to be an ambitious appointment?
    I thought Daniel Stendel was really ambitious and was worried it would click big time for them. Fortunately the club were a mess at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    George Burley for Hearts, Steve Clarke and Derek McInnes for Killie, Neil Lennon for Hibs, Paul Hartley for Cove, Ray McKinnon for Queen's Park

All good examples.

But the stars have to align, and just chasing a big name for the sake of it is a sure fire way to get rinsed.

First Team Breakthrough timewilltell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedZ View Post
    Although I disagreed with the appointment of our previous manager, I understood it was a gamble which might have worked, even if it was a long shot and I rarely comment on this forum as people do have a wide variety of opinions and I am reluctant to engage in a possible war of words with people who are obviously unarmed, but I am so livid at the hypocrisy behind the current appointment, I feel the need to comment on this occasion. For the owner to pretend that Hibs are an ambitious club and then make this appointment is just a joke and I cannot understand how anyone can defend it, apart from Hearts supporters. One of the definitions of madness, is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result and yet we appoint yet another ex Sunderland failure. If the club cannot attract a better class of manager, then fine, just admit it right from the start and I would accept the appointment of an up and coming Scottish manager, in those circumstances, rather than pretend that the appointment of a second rate English manager was ambitious.
    I am also of the opinion that the playing squad is often of more importance than the actual manager and the signing of some good players might bring future success to Hibs, no matter who the manager is. However, the lack of ambition behind the managerial appointment does not bode well for our future activity in the transfer market and I fully support the actions of those fans who will not renew their season tickets until the current owner either shapes up or ships out.
    Utter tosh..

Quote Originally Posted by TedZ View Post

Presumably if we appointed Roy Keane you’d be fuming too?

I mean, he also failed at Sunderland…

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    We haven’t even had an official appointment yet and the boots are going in. Mental.
    Same crap with Maloney, we just never learn.

Ron should have just went for one of the top managers on .net.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

Me! Me! Me!

One of these days the club will listen

First Team Breakthrough WestStandhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    2012/13 Aberdeen, Derek McInness. They saw the hole that opened up withThe Rangers demise and backed him with real money to become the 2nd best team by a distance. The only thing that stopped them doing well was a vg Celtic team going for 10IAR and winning trebles.
    Derek McInnes who was not long sacked from Bristol City? Ambitious?

Ray McKinnon and Paul Hartley 😂😂 ambition

So much angst based on no concrete news whatsoever 🤣🤣🤣

Anyway who is this Anne Bition and can she manage a football team? 😁

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    From a friend who is a Bristol City fan.
    He did a good job for us, always split opinion, but only because of his surname as he played when his dad was manager and some fans couldn’t get over that…..We had an identity and good style of play and is forward thinking with training methods.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the point of my post isn't necessarily aimed at the manager.
    I’m happy enough with him but the ambition will be shown in the players we bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Ray McKinnon and Paul Hartley 😂😂 ambition
    Yes, for a team that had went professional for the first time in it's history and was in League Two and a team in the SPFL for the first time. But feel free to ignore the context.

@hibs.net private member
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions. This appointment doesn’t fill
    Me with optimism to be honest. Nothing wrong with people saying how they feel about it either way. It is a fans forum after all.

Yes, for a team that had went professional for the first time in it's history and was in League Two and a team in the SPFL for the first time. But feel free to ignore the context.
    So who should we have appointed ? Someone ambitious ? Like who ?

And they’d be a guaranteed success would they ?

Why don’t all teams just do that eh, so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    So who should we have appointed ? Someone ambitious ? Like who ?

And they’d be a guaranteed success would they ?

Why don’t all teams just do that eh, so simple.
    No one ever is.

Because they aren't easy appointments to make, a variety of factors have to be at play.

But I would say, after being linked with numerous names, and Hibs stating there was more interest than last time from a higher calibre of candidate, they have built themselves up for a fall in comms terms as this seems anti-climatic.

Just imagine this time next year we will have finished 3rd and in a scottish cup final in a season where we beat Hearts in every game we played them. Lot of humble pie being eaten by some fans. Well lets hope so! Time to give LJ a chance

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    This appointment is a bit boring and uninspiring. It will take serious player recruitment now..I just hope when they announce Johnson they don't call it a 5 year plan as we are forever in some sort of plan for the future yet our future never arrives.
    I think what is more boring and uninspiring is the negative assumptions being spouted as facts on here & social media..PersonalyIm not bothered about being inspired or entertained by the manager but I do by whatI see on the pitch.

.I agree its going to take serious player recruitment & the board have already stated that they are aiming for that (this would have been the same with any manager)..We may (or may not) have more money to play with on the player pool front due to this appointment.

Im just glad its made, that the board have taken their time (I'd guess thats because its been a thorough process) & were ready to get going for a successful next season.