hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are fans not allowed to give their opinion though? My first game of season I’ll be there supporting don’t get me wrong but I’m still allowed to express my disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are allowed to express your opinion and if you post it on here then fans are allowed to express their opinion of your opinion.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    It's not the appointment the vast majority of fans (from the poll on here) wanted, instead we've got the same kind of appointment we always seem to go for. To go back to a recent interview instead of getting the Ferrari we've ended up with, well, not even a Toyota.

When Ron came in he said something along the lines of wanting to challenge at the top of the league, taken to mean challenge Celtic for the title.

We have been told our commercial operations are at record levels and rising, we have record amounts of cash in the bank, the commercial side of the club seems to be delivering what is says.

Where is the ambition and investment on the Football side of things?

If not on the playing/management side of things where is the investment going? A new hospitality Suit wont save us from another season of turgid football next season.

How long are we going to sit and accept the soundbites from the Board and owner without questioning the lack of improvement?

We need to get the excitement and joy back in all aspects of the club before it's too late.

I remember reading similar fans expressions in the media when a Glasgow club appointed some Australian guy who nobody had heard of.

How did that work out again?

I know its not de rigueur, but I’ll wait and see how the incoming manager performs before passing judgement on him.
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 18-05-2022 at 11:50 AM.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hibs ambition doesn’t really matter now, Lee Johnson’s does. Hopefully he has plenty and maybe it shone through in the interview.

The board evidently don’t give a flying **** about fan voice, because they’ve went with the manager that no fans wanted compared to our other option. It might sound hysterical, but a board who don’t listen to fans is very, very concerning.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    The board evidently don’t give a flying **** about fan voice, because they’ve went with the manager that no fans wanted compared to our other option. It might sound hysterical, but a board who don’t listen to fans is very, very concerning.
    By listening to the fans shouting “Jack Ross GTF” in the stands we ended up in a far bigger mess than if we’d stuck to our guns.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Like they did when they appointed Terry Butcher?

Let’s just wait and see. If he signs a couple of centre mids and a couple of strikers then he might do well. If he perseveres with the like of Joe Newall then he’ll go the same way the last three managers who did that went.
    Good luck to him I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the board ignored a poll voted on by a few dozen people on a website.
    "our other option" may have said no to the club.
    Anyway,nothing official yet.
    Just trolls/attention seekers,so far.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

When Ron came in he said something along the lines of wanting to challenge at the top of the league, taken to mean challenge Celtic for the title.
    Sorry, but what?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Did the other boy have a good interview?

Was he interested in the contract we offered.

Did we even speak to him?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Can those who are all hysterical about Johnson name an example of a non Old Firm team in Scotland, making what they would consider to be an ambitious appointment?
    2012/13 Aberdeen, Derek McInness. They saw the hole that opened up withThe Rangers demise and backed him with real money to become the 2nd best team by a distance. The only thing that stopped them doing well was a vg Celtic team going for 10IAR and winning trebles.

Its a shame to see the FB type uninformed nonsense and hysteria coming on over here, nobody seems to be thinking that Tomasson might just have said no, despite Hibs trying their best to get him. He is not going to be short of offers so I suspect it would have been as much about us selling the club and its desire to him, and convincing him why this is correct next step in his career, he seems to have left Malmo looking for a step up and like it or not he may not view us as the right step depending on what other interest he is getting.

The negativity about the current process also doesnt seem to align to where we, and most Scottish clubs, are in the football world these days, both in money and profile. Therefore getting a manager of the profile we all want may not be in our hands, we can only try,

I get why people are frustrated at current exec, but thought in RG last interview it was obvious he gets it, and despite what some people seem to think it really is not in his interest to get it wrong again, but unlike in business he can't just go and headhunt who he wants. Like it or not, there are constraints specific to Football we are bound by,

I agree its a worrying time, and things look bleak at moment, but I really think Gordon has lots to lose by getting this wrong, in a world where lets be honest, more people get it wrong than right. So I think it is a case of support as best we can and have a little more patience, as trying as that currently is,

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Unsubstantiated pish.

How do we know what happened? What if the other candidate had an awful interview?

Johnson hasn't even been confirmed other than some Twitter buzz that's based off one post.
    We never even got as far as talking to/interviewing JDT himself as the offers put to his agent were so low. we struggled to match half his deal at Malmo.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    This place is a mess at the moment. The only thing that matters is that the new manager, whoever he is, wins football matches. If we are top 5 next year, and beat hearts at home twice, most people will be happy. All the pompous crap on here from people demanding this and demanding that is utterly irkesome.

Let's find out who the new manager is, let's give him a fair chance and some vocal support and let's back the team he puts on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    The ambition will be defined by the transfer window.
    Ambition needs to be funded. Unless RG commits to dipping into his own pocket or we get a SJM windfall, ability to strengthen squad will be limited. This must have been part of the decision and discussion with candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    2012/13 Aberdeen, Derek McInness. They saw the hole that opened up withThe Rangers demise and backed him with real money to become the 2nd best team by a distance. The only thing that stopped them doing well was a vg Celtic team going for 10IAR and winning trebles.

And had Celtic felt a real threat from Aberdeen(or anyone for that matter )their largest shareholder would have topped up the piggy bank.
    He is is a billionaire.
    Maybe he could have to stop the hun getting their first major title.

Celtic blew 10IAR ,though,money or otherwise
    The hun sneaked up on them and they panicked big style.
    On and off the field.

We never even got as far as talking to/interviewing JDT himself as the offers put to his agent were so low. we struggled to match half his deal at Malmo.
    So we couldn't afford him.

You understand that, yes?

We had the chance to do something ambitious, something a bit different, something exciting compared to the past appointments, who, other than possibly 3 in the 10-15 years have been flops. But it appears the financial backing, or lack of it, has stunted our ambition but The Board push the boat out for better functions suits.
    Firstly we tried the "something different" with Maloney.

Secondly you're just speculating widely on the financial backing point. Lee Johnson would have been on much bigger money in his past few jobs than we pay. Do you think he's coming here to spend less on the football side than we did 2/3 years ago?

Finally your point about function suites is bonkers. We will at times need to invest to maintain and upgrade the stadium etc. Ultimately this is how we can increase our revenues which translate into a bigger budget for the first team. It's happening already under Ron Gordon. Spending it wisely is another matter but anyone moaning about Hibs trying to do things on the cheap is way off the mark IMO.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    We struggled to match the wages of a team who played in the Champions League group stages and won 2 league titles - is that what you're meaning?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Ultimately, if Johnson is the guy who performed the best in the interview process, they’ve made the right choice as far as they can make it.

We don’t know, for sure, who else was actually interviewed, but all we can say is that the Board think that, all told, Johnson is the guy.

So now we wait to see how it goes. It’s not more ‘ambitious’ to go appoint someone else purely because he meets some arbitrary name recognition test, or has a different background.

Say it was down to Johnson, JDT and Keane, the Board, after the hiring process, thinks Johnson is the best guy for the job, so they’re right to appoint him, not pick the guy they think the fans will be excited about short term, if they think he’s wrong long term.

Now we wait to see whether their conclusion works out. Draw a line under it, see how we go.

How ambitious were Hearts when they pinched a manager that they had previously discarded? Who had already failed at the level LJ has been stable at?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Sorry, but what?
    His opening interview on Sky saying he wants to initially be best of the rest, we we had that and ripped those structures up, and then move on to challenging for the championship.

And there it is!

Johnson out!

Before he's even actually appointed.

Hibs.net jumps the shark.
    Happy Days then...

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    This appointment is a bit boring and uninspiring. It will take serious player recruitment now..I just hope when they announce Johnson they don't call it a 5 year plan as we are forever in some sort of plan for the future yet our future never arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Well Lee Johnson has a much better CV than McInnes did prior to going to Aberdeen so you should be looking at this in a similar fashion then no?

Our support has certainly evolved a few fans into wet wipes.

I've seen one guy cancel his ST renewal and there's posts on Facelessbook, in those Hibs pages, that are downright ridiculous and uncalled for.

Writing the new man off before the ink has even dried. That's a new low for us. What next, protests outside the West Stand if we lose against Norwich?

Really makes you wonder who in their right mind would want to manage us when you have all that toxicity coming from the fanbase via social media channels.

We struggled to match the wages of a team who played in the Champions League group stages and won 2 league titles - is that what you're meaning?
    At the time he was there the top earner was on less than £9k a week, so they aren't massively above our levels of pay, considering what Boyle and Meuller were on.

If our new manager is Lee Johnson, i dont see that as not having ambition.
    Some names mentioned over the weeks were unrealistic in my view.

Lets hope there are no more of these "guessing new managers "threads for a long time.

GGTTH
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 18-05-2022 at 12:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Can those who are all hysterical about Johnson name an example of a non Old Firm team in Scotland, making what they would consider to be an ambitious appointment?
    Exactly, I suggest that by appointing Maloney we were being ambitious, look how that turned out! Appreciate that we all think Hibs are a big deal but who do we honestly expect to appoint as a manager other than people relatively new to management, managers already up here or guys from lower leagues in England.

FFS ..... The guy's last two jobs were Bristol City and Sunderland, two clubs with probably ten times the spending power of Hibs, why didn't they appoint a stellar name instead of Lee Johnson? Could it be he interviewed well and persuaded them he had something to offer and lets not even pretend the fact that he was sacked from these two jobs means anything, if that was a factor in deciding whether or not a manager could do a job at your club practically 90% of current European managers would still be signing on.

Lets give the guy a bloody chance and in my opinion the real test of Hibs ambition isn't appointing this manager, it's how we back him in the summer transfer window, fail to do that properly and then it will be time to get seriously worried.

So basically lets stop wetting the sodding bed over this and give the guy a chance ... oh and just to be clear I couldn't give a flying *@"# if he played for Hearts, I stand to be corrected but I'm willing to bet he wouldn't even make the top 300 of Hearts fans greatest or most memorable players.