hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jake Daniels

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Still something wrong if "bravery" and "courage" gets used for this type of thing. Got some ways to go until we just treat everyone with respect and not get caught up in differences.

Credit to him but we genuinely all deserve credit for living a life in-keeping with who we are.

Side-notes, I thought this was about Jack Daniels initially and then thought "he's an old looking 17 year old". Hibs 17 year olds look like they are kids compared to him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Shouldn't be an issue in this day and age. Well done to the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As devine, no not Sydney, once said, I am what I am, if he can play football it doesn't matter what you are if we had a gay player I wouldn't care less as long as he was a good player, ps if you haven't seen divine check it out, he is not for the fainthearted
    Divine as in the 80s singer?

Big deal. Not a story.

Could he do a job for us?

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrimbetween View Post
    I just dont think there are that many gay players out there and if they come out, sound, if not fine
    10% of the population are gay. No reason to expect footballers would be any different.

J

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Two at every club according to Patrice Evra
    Unless it’s a signing policy every club adheres to I’m not sure that’ll be the case

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    10% of the population are gay. No reason to expect footballers would be any different.

J
    I would expect them to be.

It’s not a traditionally welcoming environment for gay people and I reckon a lot would have never taken up the sport or dropped out of it because of it.

I’d expect there’ll be loads, but it’ll be less than the 10% in normal society imo.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    If you look it up you’ll find that the figure is a lot lower than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I would expect them to be.

It’s not a traditionally welcoming environment for gay people and I reckon a lot would have never taken up the sport or dropped out of it because of it.

I’d expect there’ll be loads, but it’ll be less than the 10% in normal society imo.
    Yeah, representation is important in breaking down attitudinal barriers

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Big deal. Not a story.
    It absolutely is a story though that’s the sad thing, when it becomes a none story, we can rejoice.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    It absolutely is a story though that’s the sad thing, when it becomes a none story, we can rejoice.
    Spot on.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

One thing I was discussing with a pal last night, if Justin Fashanu hadn't went through what he had would we have seen other players coming out sooner?

I think it's reasonable to assume they would have.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Big deal. Not a story.
    It is a big deal. Imagine you have your dream career ahead of you, but know that if a hidden part of you is disclosed then that may result in abuse, rejection and judgement. Imagine that by disclosing it you're opening yourself up to the bigotry of others?

At 17 to have the self confidence to take all of this on is huge. As a gay man it took me til i was 21 to come out, and I went through a period of rejecting football because I felt I didn't belong.

What this young man has done is significant for any young person who loves football and who doesn't identify as heterosexual. I applaud his bravery.

It's only really a big deal because he's been the first to openly come out in such a long time. It was going to seem like a big deal whoever was going to be the first since Fashanu.

I (like to) think that society has evolved to such an extent that this isn't actually that big a deal at all, and so it seems to be.

That certainly wouldn't have been the case 20 years ago.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post
    It is a big deal. Imagine you have your dream career ahead of you, but know that if a hidden part of you is disclosed then that may result in abuse, rejection and judgement. Imagine that by disclosing it you're opening yourself up to the bigotry of others?

At 17 to have the self confidence to take all of this on is huge. As a gay man it took me til i was 21 to come out, and I went through a period of rejecting football because I felt I didn't belong.

What this young man has done is significant for any young person who loves football and who doesn't identify as heterosexual. I applaud his bravery.
    Well said.

I think it's also good for young straight guys. Footballers are role models, and if one's heroes are gay, that makes it less of a "thing ".

It's a bit like Bowie in the 70s, when a lot of macho young men started to realise that being gay wasn't "a bad thing "

Quote Originally Posted by Keepthefaith View Post

Great post.

Of course it's a big deal and I cannot see why people are claiming that it it isn't. The guy has just turned 17 so his confidence and pride in doing this are remarkable. It's also massively overdue and I hope others follow his example. It's about time football entered the 21st Century

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    Great post.

Of course it's a big deal and I cannot see why people are claiming that it it isn't. The guy has just turned 17 so his confidence and pride in doing this are remarkable. It's also massively overdue and I hope others follow his example. It's about time football entered the 21st Century
    I think the vast majority are saying it shouldn't be a big deal but unfortunately it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's only really a big deal because he's been the first to openly come out in such a long time. It was going to seem like a big deal whoever was going to be the first since Fashanu.

I (like to) think that society has evolved to such an extent that this isn't actually that big a deal at all, and so it seems to be.

That certainly wouldn't have been the case 20 years ago.
    Strange thing is though, we haven't evolved enough in society. The last few years have shown us that
    People hate people and actively want to hate people.

I watched Do The Right Thing not so long ago and there is a monologue by Sweet Dick Willie talking about racism. That's a 30 year old film and nothing has really progressed from what he said.

I think that for this lad to come out is brave. It shouldn't be but it is. It takes a lot of courage for people to come out and for someone in the public eye it must be an extremely difficult decision to make knowing that there is a chance you're going to get berated by fans and your possibly your fellow pros.

There was a PSG player that refused to play against Montpellier as the numbers and other bits of kit were in the rainbow design. That's the kind of **** this guy will have to face

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    When i was a kid growing up in Leith, i never knew about gay people, it was a word banded about as an insult to someone we argued with or didnt get on with.

All the usual words were used, and i will admit to saying them all when young. Now i've grown up, now i know better, living in Blackpool as i do, it is a very open place, where being gay is not a problem for most gay men or women.

There are lots of gay friendly bars, bars that straight people go to and mix without thought, i go with my mates sometimes, and that is something i never thought i would do years ago.

What i'm trying to say, probably badly is, people can change, people can learn, and people can accept all ways of life.

My local is a gay friendly pub, 2 of my best friends there are gay, it does not matter, it is not even a conversation we even have.

**** when I seen the title I thought we was going to talk about drink, who cares what or who the guy is.