hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake Daniels

Hybrid View

Jake Daniels

Blackpool’s Jake Daniels becomes the first UK male pro footballer in 32 years to come out as gay

Brave guy. Lot of respect for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4ygBi9Bpc

Good on him. Hopefully we can to a point where it isn't even a question. Wish him all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blackpool’s Jake Daniels becomes the first UK male pro footballer in 32 years to come out as gay

Brave guy. Lot of respect for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B4ygBi9Bpc
    Massive respect to the laddie
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member
    Hopefully this will be the start of other players feeling more comfortable openly being themselves. He is a brave lad and I was pleasantly surprised that the twitter thread I left was really positive.

It shouldn't be brave, but it is.

Well done that man, he'll be a source of inspiration for an untold number of young men involved in the sport up and down the country.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Brave boy. Hopefully the days when none of this matters aren't too far away.

I think this is testament to how much attitudes have moved on. The likes of Twitter can be a cesspit and of course there is a noisy minority who will make their voices heard. However for many, I'd argue a vast majority, the 1st reaction will be to be supportive or shrug their shoulders, say 'good for him' and move on.

Of course the fact this is still news means we have a way to go but someone had to be the 1st (In the UK and excepting Justin Fashanu who was from a different era) . It's inconceivable there aren't more gay men playing professional football so I doubt he will be the last.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    As devine, no not Sydney, once said, I am what I am, if he can play football it doesn't matter what you are if we had a gay player I wouldn't care less as long as he was a good player, ps if you haven't seen divine check it out, he is not for the fainthearted

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Good for him, and I think most football fans will support him. Society is more progressive now; gay players was probably the last real taboo in the game, but we might be at the stage where it's no big deal. I certainly hope so. All the best to him.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 16-05-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by at last 61 View Post
    As devine, no not Sydney, once said, I am what I am, if he can play football it doesn't matter what you are if we had a gay player I wouldn't care less as long as he was a good player, ps if you haven't seen divine check it out, he is not for the fainthearted
    Divine as in the 80s singer?

Fair play to the lad. It's a shame that he's felt he's had to wait so long to do it

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Good luck to the guy, shouldn't make a difference what he does for a living.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Sad that it's even a story to be honest. Good on the lad but hopefully we get to the stage where "coming out" isn't even a thing anymore.

I just dont think there are that many gay players out there and if they come out, sound, if not fine

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrimbetween View Post
    I just dont think there are that many gay players out there and if they come out, sound, if not fine
    They are pioneers, just like the first black players. Nobody should have to live a lie to be a professional athlete, but sport hasn't kept apace with societal changes, due to the macho culture. We will get to the point where it isn't a big deal, and each gay player who goes public will help expedite that.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    They are pioneers, just like the first black players. Nobody should have to live a lie to be a professional athlete, but sport hasn't kept apace with societal changes, due to the macho culture. We will get to the point where it isn't a big deal, and each gay player who goes public will help expedite that.
    I think we will reach a point when people won't have to come out publicly, in football or any other walk of life.

Whilst things have of course moved on I think there is enough of the residual tabloid culture that necessitates a footballer or the like having to make an announcement. If they were living as a gay man (privately or publicly) then there would almost certainly be a rag seeking to 'expose' them. Daniels is controlling the narrative, such as it is, on this now. He's empowered and the support will massively outweigh any negativity. It's a good thing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

There definitely are quite a few. One of my pals worked for LGBT Youth Scotland and he was contacted by professional footballers for advice and support.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    There are plenty. Multiple in each league I'd imagine, I know of a couple in Scotland in lower leagues that would never come out due to the abuse👍

Sad state of affairs where we have to congratulate anyone for coming out in this day and age, as everyone has said well done but he shouldn't have to go so public because it's football. Lets hope the eejits down south don't abuse him from the terraces but you just know there's going to be some doing it.

First Team Breakthrough The Veteran's Avatar
    And why not indeed?

Well done to the chap, it’s just a shame that it becomes something big when it should not have.

Great whiskey too!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Two at every club according to Patrice Evra

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Two at every club according to Patrice Evra
    Unless it’s a signing policy every club adheres to I’m not sure that’ll be the case

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    10% of the population are gay. No reason to expect footballers would be any different.

J

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    10% of the population are gay. No reason to expect footballers would be any different.

J
    I would expect them to be.

It’s not a traditionally welcoming environment for gay people and I reckon a lot would have never taken up the sport or dropped out of it because of it.

I’d expect there’ll be loads, but it’ll be less than the 10% in normal society imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I would expect them to be.

It’s not a traditionally welcoming environment for gay people and I reckon a lot would have never taken up the sport or dropped out of it because of it.

I’d expect there’ll be loads, but it’ll be less than the 10% in normal society imo.
    Yeah, representation is important in breaking down attitudinal barriers

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J
    If you look it up you’ll find that the figure is a lot lower than that.

@hibs.net private member
    Good man.

Hopefully this can start a wave of players coming out. Once it becomes a semi regular occurrence we can then just move on without even having to know hopefully.

Mental and very sad that in 2022 this is even a story.

Well done to him for coming out and telling people, hopefully more feel comfortable as a result.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Good on him, hopefully opens the door for others to do the same.

A quick google search (highly scientific ) tells me 6% of the UK population is gay......so assuming that stretches to football then at least one player on every football pitch in every match is gay......society may be moving forward but the bubble of football is still stuck in the 70s. Its men like Jake we need in our game, not the shameful bigots that would torture a fellow human being for daring to be what God made them.