hibs.net Messageboard

Coming back from the Hydro

What’s the craic with the Hydro in relation to mid week gigs?

Taking my youngest daughter to see Billie Eilish in June. I’ve looked at trains as I don’t drive but I think there’s a a train at 10.29 meaning we’d end up missing part of the show. Heading back to Edinburgh after.

I’ve priced buses and there’s a coach which is £25 return per person. It could be a plan!

Damn these mid week concerts!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Citylink 900 from Buchanan Street Station, check the website for price/times. It's usually cheaper booking on the Megabus website.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 12-05-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Taking my youngest daughter to see Billie Eilish in June. I’ve looked at trains as I don’t drive but I think there’s a a train at 10.29 meaning we’d end up missing part of the show. Heading back to Edinburgh after.

I’ve priced buses and there’s a coach which is £25 return per person. It could be a plan!

Used to be the last train was 11.30, would be heaving, take it that has now changed to the earlier time. We used to have to leave early sometimes even to make sure we were at the front of the queue in the station to get on the 11.30. Wasn't that many coaches. It was quite stressy and a bummer leaving the concert early, so we often got a cheap hotel and came back the next morning after peak time. They should really give more consideration to later train times when there is events on in Glasgow imo.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    The last train (Queen Street) midweek is currently 23:45, gets in to Waverley around half 12.
    It's a good (brisk) 30 minute walk from the OVO Hydro to Queen Street, or, get a train from Exhibition Centre to Glasgow Central low level and it's an easy 10 walk to Queen St from there. Currently, there's a 23:23hrs train from Exhibition that takes only 4 minutes so you'd catch the 23:45 from Queen St no dramas.

Cheers folks!

Regretting getting my 12 year old daughter tickets for this now!

I think bus travel is free for under age 22 but not certain.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    You might be suprised. Concerts generally finish early and on time. The three venues on site coordinate their end times to avoid thousands queuing to get out the car parks or standing in the queue for the Exibition station. With checking with the venue

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Was wondering how this was, did your daughter enjoy? I read Billie done a great thing at the O2 earlier in the week and stopped mid track when she noticed crushing in the crowd, and again when she heard a fan needed an inhaler. She thanked security and began the concert again once it had been dealt with. Apparently she can't be heard singing for the screaming from the crowds Don't really get her music personally, but comes across as a decent person who actually cares about her fans.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Was wondering how this was, did your daughter enjoy? I read Billie done a great thing at the O2 earlier in the week and stopped mid track when she noticed crushing in the crowd, and again when she heard a fan needed an inhaler. She thanked security and began the concert again once it had been dealt with. Apparently she can't be heard singing for the screaming from the crowds Don't really get her music personally, but comes across as a decent person who actually cares about her fans.
    I heard about this but thought it was down south somewhere, Manchester?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I heard about this but thought it was down south somewhere, Manchester?
    Sure I read the O2 which is in London. Might be wrong though.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Sure I read the O2 which is in London. Might be wrong though.
    Mixed messages, ther is an O2 in Glasgow as well.

https://www.academymusicgroup.com/venues

No idea where, but the point stands, she did a good thing.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Mixed messages, ther is an O2 in Glasgow as well.

https://www.academymusicgroup.com/venues

No idea where, but the point stands, she did a good thing.
    You forced me to check ... it was London.

https://news.sky.com/story/billie-ei...the%20audience.

Sorry just seen this!

She loved it. So did I!

I’m music daft, love going to concerts so it was good to take her along.

It was funny as the place was pretty rammed early on. Support came from Jessie Reyez who I hadn’t heard of before. Turns out she wrote the Calvin Harris/Dua Lipa track One Kiss so she’s quite talented! She was quite liberal with her language!

It seemed fk take longer than usual for Eilish to come on stage. Main acts at gigs I’ve been to are on about the 8.30 mark. It was closer to nine before she came on.

I’ve no really been following the news about it but heard she’s been on the news recently. At one point she looked really emotional saying she needed that crowd and show. Feel quite sorry for her in a way. She’s constantly scruntined for her looks and her appearance. Being a dad to a couple of girls I’d hate to imagine them feeling that pressure.

But the show was great. She commanded the stage well, played an extra song and seemed to properly enjoy it towards the end.

There were occasions of people fainting not just for Eilish but also for Reyez as well. Both acts pointed this out and reassured those struggling that security were on their way.

Managed to get a lift back from my wife as well. No idea how we would have done it as we never left until 10.40 and I think the next train from the Hydro was about 11.30!

Funny though. Like Eilish, never really got into her last album but live it made more sense.

And my daughter has strict instructions not to repeat the language she heard!

Sorry just seen this!

She loved it. So did I!

I’m music daft, love going to concerts so it was good to take her along.

It was funny as the place was pretty rammed early on. Support came from Jessie Reyez who I hadn’t heard of before. Turns out she wrote the Calvin Harris/Dua Lipa track One Kiss so she’s quite talented! She was quite liberal with her language!

It seemed fk take longer than usual for Eilish to come on stage. Main acts at gigs I’ve been to are on about the 8.30 mark. It was closer to nine before she came on.

I’ve no really been following the news about it but heard she’s been on the news recently. At one point she looked really emotional saying she needed that crowd and show. Feel quite sorry for her in a way. She’s constantly scruntined for her looks and her appearance. Being a dad to a couple of girls I’d hate to imagine them feeling that pressure.

But the show was great. She commanded the stage well, played an extra song and seemed to properly enjoy it towards the end.

There were occasions of people fainting not just for Eilish but also for Reyez as well. Both acts pointed this out and reassured those struggling that security were on their way.

Managed to get a lift back from my wife as well. No idea how we would have done it as we never left until 10.40 and I think the next train from the Hydro was about 11.30!

Funny though. Like Eilish, never really got into her last album but live it made more sense.

And my daughter has strict instructions not to repeat the language she heard!
    Sounds great, glad you both enjoyed and the return journey worked out well for you.

Your daughter will likely have the concert bug now, I felt I was never away from the Hydro when mine was younger. Would be great to have a similar sized venue in Edinburgh to save on time and additional costs with the travel.

Sounds great, glad you both enjoyed and the return journey worked out well for you.

Your daughter will likely have the concert bug now, I felt I was never away from the Hydro when mine was younger. Would be great to have a similar sized venue in Edinburgh to save on time and additional costs with the travel.
    Say the same all the time.

Going to the Big Top brought it home. Imagine if there was a decent concert venue in Edinburgh? I wish they’d turned Drummond House at the Gyle onto something like that. Big venue, smaller venue, sports bar. Amble parking and decent transport links as well