hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well done Staggs Bar

CAMRA pub of the year for Lothians yet again. Gonna need a new wall for all their certificates! To keep it going for so long at such a high standard is pretty impressive. First port of call when I come home next month.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Cracking pub.

Does what it does well and doesn't try to be anything it isn't. The kind of pub that is a bit of a dying breed but also the type I'd actively seek out over any other.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Great boozer. One of the things I miss about living in Musselburgh. Really need to visit next time I'm through, been ages since I've been in. When the Wetherspoons opened at the old Hayweights bingo hall I was worried it would have an impact on Staggs, but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cracking pub.

Does what it does well and doesn't try to be anything it isn't. The kind of pub that is a bit of a dying breed but also the type I'd actively seek out over any other.
    Where I had my first pint and the bar has hardly changed since then...A dying breed but great when you find them. Still a few kicking around here where theres no pretentiousness and the owners & staff have a real pride the pint they provide to the punter.

Great to see it can thrive, as mentioned, in the shadow of a massive Wotherspoons.

On the subject of CAMRA, is there any sign of the annual beer festival returning in Edinburgh? There's going to be one in Glasgow this year but I think they have trouble getting a venue through here.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the subject of CAMRA, is there any sign of the annual beer festival returning in Edinburgh? There's going to be one in Glasgow this year but I think they have trouble getting a venue through here.
    Doesn't look like it https://www.edinburghcamra.org.uk/events/

Went to the one they used to have in the Assembly Rooms a couple of times. Enjoyed it the times I went. Not sure when they last had one there.

The Glasgow one is on 16th to 18th June at The Briggait https://glasgowrealalefestival.co.uk/ First one in a few years, obviously, so hopefully will be well attended.

The Assembly Rooms was a good venue but the events haven't been great since they left there. Chambers Street was a disaster as it was on 3 floors and the Corn Exchange isn't a great location for it, although the venue itself was good.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Not quite the same, but I see there is a curry & beer festival in, naturally, Currie next month.

I’m in Balerno, might pop along to see what it’s like.

https://m.facebook.com/Curriebeerfest/