hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Golf Open St.Andrews 2022

Runs this year from Sunday 10th July till Sunday 17th , Any idea why it's on for a week when all other majors run form the Thursday to Sunday lasting 4 days ?

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Runs this year from Sunday 10th July till Sunday 17th , Any idea why it's on for a week when all other majors run form the Thursday to Sunday lasting 4 days ?
    It’s always billed as a week long event with practice days Monday-Wednesday. Actual tournament is Thursday-Sunday.

Can’t believe it sold out so far in advance. Always used to just pitch up (pun intended) on the day and pay at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    It’s always billed as a week long event with practice days Monday-Wednesday. Actual tournament is Thursday-Sunday.

Can’t believe it sold out so far in advance. Always used to just pitch up (pun intended) on the day and pay at the gate.

Tried getting a cheeky wee ticket but not a hope in hell

Another sport or event that is priced for the wealthier. A huge % of folk probably now cannot afford to see this live either at the venue or on TV. I'm sure it used to be free to attend if U16 with an adult. Certainly was always on BBC.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Another sport or event that is priced for the wealthier. A huge % of folk probably now cannot afford to see this live either at the venue or on TV. I'm sure it used to be free to attend if U16 with an adult. Certainly was always on BBC.
    It is expensive however you can be there from 6am to 7 or 8pm if you want to make the most of it. I alway used to hold off until I knew the weather would be dry before buying a ticket, often on the day. Now it’s sold out months in advance after a ballot. It was also free to take along kids. Guessing that’s been scrapped too.

Shame it's not on BBC any more. I'll miss it. It's not quite the same on radio! Those whispered commentaries get a bit wearing.

The corporate market is massive these days. It would be interesting to compare the % of ticket sales to Joe Public as against the corporate sales these days compared to 20-25 years ago. I was lucky enough to go on a corporate invite a couple of times back then - once to Troon and once to Muirfield - and even then, I'd say at least half the folk in the corporate marquee were just there for a p***-up and didn't go out on the course to watch any golf. And these days it's not just a few corporate marquees. There's a massive village of tiered high-spec portacabin-type structures. TBH I had a much better day-out when just pitching up and paying at the gate (£20 iirc) in time for bacon rolls for breakie and staying through until the last few groups were finishing about 9pm.

On another point, in line with increasing rowdiness amongst some sections of the crowd at golf events, I wonder if we will witness some of the LIV players getting some stick or boos.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    The corporate market is massive these days. It would be interesting to compare the % of ticket sales to Joe Public as against the corporate sales these days compared to 20-25 years ago. I was lucky enough to go on a corporate invite a couple of times back then - once to Troon and once to Muirfield - and even then, I'd say at least half the folk in the corporate marquee were just there for a p***-up and didn't go out on the course to watch any golf. And these days it's not just a few corporate marquees. There's a massive village of tiered high-spec portacabin-type structures. TBH I had a much better day-out when just pitching up and paying at the gate (£20 iirc) in time for bacon rolls for breakie and staying through until the last few groups were finishing about 9pm.

On another point, in line with increasing rowdiness amongst some sections of the crowd at golf events, I wonder if we will witness some of the LIV players getting some stick or boos.
    On your last point, let’s hope so.

Although can’t imagine many folk will be going to St. Andrews to watch Ian poulter or Kevin na.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    On your last point, let’s hope so.

Although can’t imagine many folk will be going to St. Andrews to watch Ian poulter or Kevin na.
    So are you advocating the rowdiness?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    So are you advocating the rowdiness?
    Not rowdiness, but I wouldn’t be against the Saudi regime loving golfers to be made to feel slightly uncomfortable.

I've got tickets for the final day. I got the chance for the whole week but it's far too expensive.

I'm from 15 mins from St Andrews and its both something special and the worst thing in the world when the open comes to town.

Golf needs to modernise big time, but it has, and will continue to have a major issue shaking off the attitudes at all levels.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I saw Nicklaus win at St Andrews in 1978. My mum sat in the stands at the 18th and knitted all day while I followed the likes of Crenshaw and Floyd around the course. There was a Golflink rail and bus service in operation which was excellent.
    Happy days.
    I'll not even be checking the scores this time around. Not interested. Golf doesn't have the same glamour.

Despite a final round collapse in the Scottish open I'm going for Speith.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEast View Post
    Despite a final round collapse in the Scottish open I'm going for Speith.
    I’ve cheered on Speith more than any other player over the last few years. Would love to see him come good but just feels like he’s still not fully in control of his game and always has that bad hit in him. I think how often he has kept himself in hunts this season when clearly battling with his swing shows the boy’s talent… let’s hope he has a good weekend.

I wonder if it could be Hovland’s time.

What are the chances so people think of getting on a train if I go up to waverly for 5.30/6am on Saturday? And then how do I get from leuchars to St. Andrews?

Was meant to be getting a lift but that’s fallen through..

What are the chances so people think of getting on a train if I go up to waverly for 5.30/6am on Saturday? And then how do I get from leuchars to St. Andrews?

I reckon you'd probably get one up but coming back you are basically screwed.

I THINK I got the bus from leuchars when I was there back in 2010. Just a short journey.

Reckon to be on the safe side you should just give me your ticket though 😁

Cam Smith making it look easy today so far

Why didn’t I back him ��

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Cam Smith making it look easy today so far

Why didn’t I back him ��
    He's been immense today - aggressive where sensible then a bit cautious where appropriate.

I'm loving the course and was up there yesterday. Different holes will be the easiest and most difficult depending on the wind and pin positions.

The driveable par 4's have been class imo. I was up at the 12th yesterday and on paper it looks easy but in practice it has a lot of danger. There were a few eagle putts that were 3 putted, a good few double bogeys and then the odd birdie for those who made the right decisions and also got a bit of luck go their way.

First time I'd been to the Open there, thought it was great and I've enjoyed it today.

Might seem like it's about to be a procession from here but I reckon there's a long way to go yet. Smith's driver can get wobbly at times compared to a lot of the others who are up near the top of the leader board.

Schauffele is the man in form. Won his last three entered competitions.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Bob McIntyre out in Hibernian mint green this morning. I think it's his nephews who play for the under 18 team or maybe the development team this season.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Bob McIntyre out in Hibernian mint green this morning. I think it's his nephews who play for the under 18 team or maybe the development team this season.
    And - 4 through 12. Good effort so far!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Wonder what would be the shortest odds -

Someone shooting a sub 60 or a group hitting 6 hours for the round..?

Think someone might actually hit the magic 6 hour mark ahead of the weekend!

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Wonder what would be the shortest odds -

Someone shooting a sub 60 or a group hitting 6 hours for the round..?

Think someone might actually hit the magic 6 hour mark ahead of the weekend!
    Quite a few have hit the 6 hour mark this evening!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MountcastleHibs View Post
    Quite a few have hit the 6 hour mark this evening!
    Yes, someone clocked in at 6hrs 15 mins

Max Homa reckons it took them an hour to play the 14th. Just too large a field on a course with as many reachable par 4s combined with double fairways and greens.

The R&A can’t have enjoyed watching that today and it’s just going to be the same tomorrow. Will be better at weekend but tomorrow will be another headache for the Championship Committee.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 14-07-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Surprised no one has mentioned McIlroy and he's the favourite !

Smith from Australia looks decent and as others have mentioned Schauffele

I’m on McIlroy. Norris, Perez, Zalatoris and Fleetwood. In various guises.

Tiger is certainly moving better but the golf isn’t there.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    The pace of play today was absolutely ridiculous - just over 6 hours for some of the groups. The first guys teed off at 6.35am and the last group at 4.16pm so maybe the field was too large for a course like St Andrews which is simply getting overpowered due to a combination of the very dry conditions and modern technology.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Nice round of booing for Poulter on the 1st tee.