hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Golf Open St.Andrews 2022

Runs this year from Sunday 10th July till Sunday 17th , Any idea why it's on for a week when all other majors run form the Thursday to Sunday lasting 4 days ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Runs this year from Sunday 10th July till Sunday 17th , Any idea why it's on for a week when all other majors run form the Thursday to Sunday lasting 4 days ?
    It’s always billed as a week long event with practice days Monday-Wednesday. Actual tournament is Thursday-Sunday.

Can’t believe it sold out so far in advance. Always used to just pitch up (pun intended) on the day and pay at the gate.

Another sport or event that is priced for the wealthier. A huge % of folk probably now cannot afford to see this live either at the venue or on TV. I'm sure it used to be free to attend if U16 with an adult. Certainly was always on BBC.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Another sport or event that is priced for the wealthier. A huge % of folk probably now cannot afford to see this live either at the venue or on TV. I'm sure it used to be free to attend if U16 with an adult. Certainly was always on BBC.
    It is expensive however you can be there from 6am to 7 or 8pm if you want to make the most of it. I alway used to hold off until I knew the weather would be dry before buying a ticket, often on the day. Now it’s sold out months in advance after a ballot. It was also free to take along kids. Guessing that’s been scrapped too.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    It’s always billed as a week long event with practice days Monday-Wednesday. Actual tournament is Thursday-Sunday.

Can’t believe it sold out so far in advance. Always used to just pitch up (pun intended) on the day and pay at the gate.

Tried getting a cheeky wee ticket but not a hope in hell

Shame it's not on BBC any more. I'll miss it. It's not quite the same on radio! Those whispered commentaries get a bit wearing.

The corporate market is massive these days. It would be interesting to compare the % of ticket sales to Joe Public as against the corporate sales these days compared to 20-25 years ago. I was lucky enough to go on a corporate invite a couple of times back then - once to Troon and once to Muirfield - and even then, I'd say at least half the folk in the corporate marquee were just there for a p***-up and didn't go out on the course to watch any golf. And these days it's not just a few corporate marquees. There's a massive village of tiered high-spec portacabin-type structures. TBH I had a much better day-out when just pitching up and paying at the gate (£20 iirc) in time for bacon rolls for breakie and staying through until the last few groups were finishing about 9pm.

On another point, in line with increasing rowdiness amongst some sections of the crowd at golf events, I wonder if we will witness some of the LIV players getting some stick or boos.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    The corporate market is massive these days. It would be interesting to compare the % of ticket sales to Joe Public as against the corporate sales these days compared to 20-25 years ago. I was lucky enough to go on a corporate invite a couple of times back then - once to Troon and once to Muirfield - and even then, I'd say at least half the folk in the corporate marquee were just there for a p***-up and didn't go out on the course to watch any golf. And these days it's not just a few corporate marquees. There's a massive village of tiered high-spec portacabin-type structures. TBH I had a much better day-out when just pitching up and paying at the gate (£20 iirc) in time for bacon rolls for breakie and staying through until the last few groups were finishing about 9pm.

On another point, in line with increasing rowdiness amongst some sections of the crowd at golf events, I wonder if we will witness some of the LIV players getting some stick or boos.
    On your last point, let’s hope so.

Although can’t imagine many folk will be going to St. Andrews to watch Ian poulter or Kevin na.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    On your last point, let’s hope so.

Although can’t imagine many folk will be going to St. Andrews to watch Ian poulter or Kevin na.
    So are you advocating the rowdiness?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    So are you advocating the rowdiness?
    Not rowdiness, but I wouldn’t be against the Saudi regime loving golfers to be made to feel slightly uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Not rowdiness, but I wouldn’t be against the Saudi regime loving golfers to be made to feel slightly uncomfortable.
    I agree - at appropriate times though, not when they are mid-swing.
    What annoys me most is not so much LIV's challenge to the conventional Tours, although I am far from convinced that it is going to be a good thing for pro-golf overall, rather it's the hypocrisy of those signing up saying things like "it's for the betterment of the game", "We're not politicians" and McDowell's outrageous statement that "he is proud to help Saudi Arabia to use the game of golf to get where they want to be", when we all know it is the disgusting level of ker-ching that is swaying them, especially when many of them could retire now with no financial worries at all, unless of course they have gambled away their kids' massive inheritance through gambling a la Mickelson. At least DJ was close to honest in saying he has done what is best for him and his family's future. Aye, think of his poor kids if he had to stick with the PGA Tour. But I can't blame the lesser lights and twilight players like the US amateur guy or Richard Bland, who to be fair make up most of the field, from doing what DJ has done. Question is, will the presence of a few big household names alongside a load of journeymen be enough to capture viewers' interest?

What annoys me most is not so much LIV's challenge to the conventional Tours, although I am far from convinced that it is going to be a good thing for pro-golf overall, rather it's the hypocrisy of those signing up saying things like "it's for the betterment of the game", "We're not politicians" and McDowell's outrageous statement that "he is proud to help Saudi Arabia to use the game of golf to get where they want to be", when we all know it is the disgusting level of ker-ching that is swaying them, especially when many of them could retire now with no financial worries at all, unless of course they have gambled away their kids' massive inheritance through gambling a la Mickelson. At least DJ was close to honest in saying he has done what is best for him and his family's future. Aye, think of his poor kids if he had to stick with the PGA Tour. But I can't blame the lesser lights and twilight players like the US amateur guy or Richard Bland, who to be fair make up most of the field, from doing what DJ has done. Question is, will the presence of a few big household names alongside a load of journeymen be enough to capture viewers' interest?
    They're all rats - McDowell especially for his disgusting remarks. And DJ hides behind his family, as if they had trouble putting food on the table.
    Golf's a great game at grassroots level, but forget the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    They're all rats - McDowell especially for his disgusting remarks. And DJ hides behind his family, as if they had trouble putting food on the table.
    Maybe for LIV players to be allowed to play in the Majors or Ryder Cup they should have to get an Inglorious Barstewards inspired dollar sign carved into their foreheads.

That's the bit I struggle with and can't see how it is going to be a success?

Golf really does a problem with how it changes and grows (I love it fwiw) but even if they had all the stars on board, moving away from what their current customer base know and like (the tournaments, the courses, the tours with the history, tradition and familiarity) is a very bold step.

I just can't see this catching anyone's imagination, it's a far inferior event albeit the players are playing for bucketloads of dubious cash.

Like you, I respect DJ's honesty but an event built on blatant greed doesn't really garner interest in itself.

I have Thursday tickets to the Open at St Andrews and can't wait. I've never been to watch the golf there live before.

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Not a fan of St Andrews as a spectator venue. Too flat and there aren’t many good views for the paying punter. I’ll watch on the box and enjoy that experience this year.

The Scottish Open is better if you want to watch some golf, albeit I think it’s time to change venue there now too.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    Not a fan of St Andrews as a spectator venue. Too flat and there aren’t many good views for the paying punter. I’ll watch on the box and enjoy that experience this year.

The Scottish Open is better if you want to watch some golf, albeit I think it’s time to change venue there now too.
    I totally agree on both fronts.

Dare I say it but "the Home of Golf" is no longer fit for purpose and if there is decent weather then the winning score could be an embarrassment for a Major.

In my humble opinion Loch Lomond was the perfect venue for the Scottish Open but the course owners must have decided that they either didn't want or didn't need the additional revenue that would have flowed into their coffers. Player power may have also contributed in making the decision to play on a links venue before the Open. Such a shame though, Loch Lomond was absolutely magnificent.

I've got tickets for the final day. I got the chance for the whole week but it's far too expensive.

I'm from 15 mins from St Andrews and its both something special and the worst thing in the world when the open comes to town.

Golf needs to modernise big time, but it has, and will continue to have a major issue shaking off the attitudes at all levels.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I saw Nicklaus win at St Andrews in 1978. My mum sat in the stands at the 18th and knitted all day while I followed the likes of Crenshaw and Floyd around the course. There was a Golflink rail and bus service in operation which was excellent.
    Happy days.
    I'll not even be checking the scores this time around. Not interested. Golf doesn't have the same glamour.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Worker decides to move to company who offer more money for less hours meaning worker spends less time travelling and more time with family.

A few of them have maybe gone about it the wrong way but come on, no exactly rats!

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Worker decides to move to company who offer more money for less hours meaning worker spends less time travelling and more time with family.

A few of them have maybe gone about it the wrong way but come on, no exactly rats!
    Fair enough if we were talking about "workers" in any normal sense of the world but they're already multi millionaires and they're chasing obscene amounts of money that are coming from a really dubious source.

You can't hold strong opinions about fuel poverty and the serious economic issues facing the world and then defend "the Saudis" choosing to divert massive sums of money towards a very small number of people.

Same with PSG and Mbappe.

It's obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Fair enough if we were talking about "workers" in any normal sense of the world but they're already multi millionaires and they're chasing obscene amounts of money that are coming from a really dubious source.

You can't hold strong opinions about fuel poverty and the serious economic issues facing the world and then defend "the Saudis" choosing to divert massive sums of money towards a very small number of people.

Same with PSG and Mbappe.

It's obscene.
    These guys are still workers though. They have worked hard for years to get to the top of their game as a professional golfer. That is not an easy thing to do! They have the same rights as any other professional out there to make a move to a company who pays them more for working less.

Yeah the money these guys make is phenomenal in some cases it’s excessive but they are travelling across the world for 40+ weeks of the year ever week at a different tournament. This move will mean a hell of a lot less of that and more time with the family. Some may even see it as a way to prolong their careers playing less. They are humans and will do what is best for them and their family.

These guys are still workers though. They have worked hard for years to get to the top of their game as a professional golfer. That is not an easy thing to do! They have the same rights as any other professional out there to make a move to a company who pays them more for working less.

Yeah the money these guys make is phenomenal in some cases it’s excessive but they are travelling across the world for 40+ weeks of the year ever week at a different tournament. This move will mean a hell of a lot less of that and more time with the family. Some may even see it as a way to prolong their careers playing less. They are humans and will do what is best for them and their family.
    True so why not be honest and come out and say just that instead of pretending they are helping reshape golf which is utter tripe. One or two of them have come close to admitting that but they also need to be honest in saying they don't care who their paymaster is or where their income comes from, and they don't give a hoot about ripping apart the game that has already provided them with elite level income and lifestyle.

True so why not be honest and come out and say just that instead of pretending they are helping reshape golf which is utter tripe. One or two of them have come close to admitting that but they also need to be honest in saying they don't care who their paymaster is or where their income comes from, and they don't give a hoot about ripping apart the game that has already provided them with elite level income and lifestyle.
    Agree with that, to be fair for a lot of them they have come out and been honest but as i mentioned some haven't gone about it the right way.

As big as cats!

Charl Schwartzel stands to win almost 5m dollars for 3 days work if he and his team win today
    4m individual and 750k team prize
    The money is crazy !

Regardless of the views on those that HAVE made the move, “forget the pros” is a bit sweeping given the majority of them aren’t taking the cash and some are actually speaking out against it.

Plenty good guys in golf and still great to watch the best at work.

Golf didn't provide them with that. They put themselves in that income bracket by working phenomenally hard on their game, like any top sportsman or woman. Granted, not all sports attract the investment that the likes of golf and football do but no matter how much natural talent a competitor has, nobody gets to the top of their sports by not working extremely hard and the vast majority struggle to make a decent living from their chosen sport.

I agree that they should be more honest about why they're taking part though.

@hibs.net private member TheGreenMan's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: N/A
    Anyone else going to this?

Know if the trains are running up to Leuchars or not for the weekend? I see on The Open website they recommend not travelling by train and taking the car but that could be a nightmare with the size of the crowds. Hoping the Scotrail pay dispute getting agreed today sorts the trains!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMan View Post

Know if the trains are running up to Leuchars or not for the weekend? I see on The Open website they recommend not travelling by train and taking the car but that could be a nightmare with the size of the crowds. Hoping the Scotrail pay dispute getting agreed today sorts the trains!
    Train dispute is resolved but Scotrail still running reduced service this weekend. Won't change the timetable back before then. They've advised anyone going to the Open or Gerry Cinnamon to look at alternatives still

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMan View Post

They are trains running but let's be honest they will be packed and I think the last train back is around 6/7pm which will have a huge queue.

I'm taking the car on Friday and bought a park and ride ticket. Planning on making that first shuttle bus at 5.45am so will be leaving the house around 4am or just before.