hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2022 Snooker World Championships

Anyone been watching?

Personally really enjoy watching the snooker and the World Championships is one of my favourite two weeks of the sporting year.

Three names into the Quarter Finals already and two of them have been performing at this level for around 30 years - Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Williams. The other member of the "class of 92" John Higgins is playing tomorrow. The other one through to the last eight is the unseeded Stephen Maguire who is no slouch himself.

Half of the Quarter Final line up will be decided tonight with the conclusion of the Mark Selby v Yan Bingtao match.

Selby is one of the favourites for the title and was 11-7 down a few frames ago and Yan only needing two more to win it but Selby is making a comeback and it's now 11-10.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wow what an incredible frame of snooker!

The longest frame in Crucible history at over 1 hour and 20 minutes long won by Yan Bingtao and he goes 12-10 up and just one frame away from knocking out Mark Selby.

Selby is out!

Yan Bingtao wins 13-10.

Don't think he was a contender this year.

Neil Robertson has been the top boy this year but will go with Ronnie.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Couldn't believe how many easy pots Selby missed. Glad to see him out, dull as ditchwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Couldn't believe how many easy pots Selby missed. Glad to see him out, dull as ditchwater.
    Yan has got a really big future, I can see him as a future world champion although probably not this year.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Anyone been watching?

Personally really enjoy watching the snooker and the World Championships is one of my favourite two weeks of the sporting year.

Three names into the Quarter Finals already and two of them have been performing at this level for around 30 years - Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Williams. The other member of the "class of 92" John Higgins is playing tomorrow. The other one through to the last eight is the unseeded Stephen Maguire who is no slouch himself.

Half of the Quarter Final line up will be decided tonight with the conclusion of the Mark Selby v Yan Bingtao match.

Selby is one of the favourites for the title and was 11-7 down a few frames ago and Yan only needing two more to win it but Selby is making a comeback and it's now 11-10.

From playing in my youth against Hendry & co to watching every minute of it on telly in the 80s 90s 00s.
    It just doesn't have the same appeal to me.
    Sadly no characters left in the sport apart from Ronnie & Judd.
    Also given that it has taken to the 1/4s before a post was started says to me its a spectator sport that has been on the decline for years..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    From playing in my youth against Hendry & co to watching every minute of it on telly in the 80s 90s 00s.
    It just doesn't have the same appeal to me.
    Sadly no characters left in the sport apart from Ronnie & Judd.
    Also given that it has taken to the 1/4s before a post was started says to me its a spectator sport that has been on the decline for years..
    In the uk...

Viewing figures were massive in the 80s, although there was only 4 channels so everything was huge that was on TV. Figures dipped to the lowest about 5 years ago but are rising again. But all that is just the uk, viewing figures worldwide now dwarf what they were in the 80s. 300 million in China watched last years tournament, 60 million for the final.

I think eventually the world's will move over there

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    In the uk...

Viewing figures were massive in the 80s, although there was only 4 channels so everything was huge that was on TV. Figures dipped to the lowest about 5 years ago but are rising again. But all that is just the uk, viewing figures worldwide now dwarf what they were in the 80s. 300 million in China watched last years tournament, 60 million for the final.

I think eventually the world's will move over there
    I'm sure a good few years ago Hendry & others were ambassadors for snooker & travelled to China ���� to promote snooker. Given that the Chinese now have players competing at the world's that will elevate the sport 100 fold.

It was a similar scenario when James Wattana was playing, most of Thailand came to a standstill when he was playing.

Neil Robertson in a bit of bother against Jack Lisowski as he's 9-7 down going into tomorrow's final session.

John Higgins looks to be in complete control v Noppon Saengkham, he's 8-4 up with 4 more frames to be played tonight.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    I'm sure a good few years ago Hendry & others were ambassadors for snooker & travelled to China ���� to promote snooker. Given that the Chinese now have players competing at the world's that will elevate the sport 100 fold.

It was a similar scenario when James Wattana was playing, most of Thailand came to a standstill when he was playing.
    In the 80’s the company I worked for were manufacturing tables and exporting them to China, one of our table fitters went out there and was offered a job to stay which he did. It didn’t take them too long to stop buying from us and start to manufacture themselves.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Absolutely remarkable Higgins Ronnie and Williams all still at the top in Snooker 30 years later ! That's actually seriously incredible !!

Glad Selby is out , I just can't stand the guy i don't know why as he's always well spoken but just bores me to tears

Like you SDG my favourite 2 weeks of the year , Absolute love the Snooker

Neil Robertson just knocks in a 147!

Love to see them at the Crucible.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Neil Robertson just knocks in a 147!

Love to see them at the Crucible.
    Wonderful stuff. Tuned in just in time. Surprising that Robertson's only won the World's once, and quite some time ago at that. Seemed at the time it would be the first of many. Not like he's ever really dropped down the rankings over that time either.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Wonderful stuff. Tuned in just in time. Surprising that Robertson's only won the World's once, and quite some time ago at that. Seemed at the time it would be the first of many. Not like he's ever really dropped down the rankings over that time either.
    Yeah he's also only made it beyond the quarter finals once since then too which is really surprising.

Only the 12th ever maximum break at the Crucible which is some going.

Both matches tonight very tight - both 12-11.

Neil Robertson is ahead v Jack Lisowski and Judd Trump is leading Anthony McGill.

Hoping for a final frame decider in both.

Robertson - Lisowski goes to a final frame.

Trump - McGill still 12-11.

Trump beats McGill 13-11.

Lisowski beats Robertson 13-12.

@hibs.net private member
    Finest margins in that last frame

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Finest margins in that last frame
    That's what we watch it for. So many ebbs and flows this evening. Great game.

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Yeah he's also only made it beyond the quarter finals once since then too which is really surprising.

Only the 12th ever maximum break at the Crucible which is some going.
    Lisowski beats Robertson 13-12.

I think it shows just how tough the competition (the players rather than the literal tournament) is, and equally how talented and resilient the likes of Higgins, Williams and O’Sullivan (although I think he’s a dick) have been over their careers, even Hendry didn’t have quite the longevity that these guys have had.

when you consider how many players haven’t won at all, or once or twice max, compared to those 4 and Steve Davis winning it several times each, it’s a true testament to how great they all are. It’s a bit like the tennis with Federer, Nadal, Djokovic (another I can’t stand) and Murray all being at the top together for so long and winning so much.

So the quarter final line up is now complete.

Yan Bingtao v Mark Williams
    Stuart Bingham v Judd Trump
    Jack Lisowski v John Higgins
    Stephen Maguire v Ronnie O'Sullivan

I think it will be Yan v Trump and Higgins v O'Sullivan in the semis.

@hibs.net private member
    So the quarter final line up is now complete.

Yan Bingtao v Mark Williams
    Stuart Bingham v Judd Trump
    Jack Lisowski v John Higgins
    Stephen Maguire v Ronnie O'Sullivan

I think it will be Yan v Trump and Higgins v O'Sullivan in the semis.
    Higgins o'sullivan would be great

Intriguing line up for the quarters. All could feasibly go either way, although out of the four I'd probably expect O'Sullivan to beat Maguire by a few.

Looks like I'm getting one right and one wrong so far.

As expected O'Sullivan is running away with things v Maguire and is 6-2 up.

However Williams is also leading 6-2 v Yan which is a bit of a surprise.

Still plenty of time left right enough.

Now my predictions are looking promising.

O'Sullivan only needs two more frames tomorrow to reach the semi finals as he's 11-5 up v Stephen Maguire.

Mark Williams has completely lost his way tonight. After finishing this afternoon's session 6-2 up he is currently losing tonight's session 6-1 and is trailing 8-7 with one frame left tonight.

He was 7-4 up tonight and has just lost 4 frames in a row.

Higgins and Trump are both leading 5-3.

Williams takes the final frame of the night and it finishes all square at 8-8.

Quick work of it this morning from O'Sullivan, 13-5. Into his 13th Crucible semi final, which is a record apparently. A remarkable career.

Some start from Stuart "Bingo" Bingham this morning. From 5-3 down to 7-5 up at the mid-session. These remaining 3 quarters are too close to call, as they say. Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see Trump taking the lead back by the end of the session.