Thread: Andy Goram RIP

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sad , Sad news

Goram was an unbelievable goalkeeper for us
    Agree totally

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think it might have been Ian Colquhoun's book "From Oblivion to Hampden" I read it in. Apparently, Hibernian were in such desperate need of a striker during the 1989-90 season, Alex Miller actually considered puting Andy Goram up front and replacing him in goal with Chris Reid. If true, it just goes to show what an all-rounder Andy was. Cricketer. Amateur boxer. Goalkeeper, and striker.

I will always remember the look Wee Robbo gave Andy when Andy saved his penalty during the 1990 tennents sixes Semi-Final penalty shoot-out.

Last edited by Edina Street; 30-05-2022 at 05:05 PM.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Best keeper I’ve seen in goals for us . Horrible disease , bloody sin .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Cancer is an evil disease,having literally watched a relative effectively rot to death,a sight and smell I'll never forget.
    If someone is a **** when they're alive then no malady will stop them being a **** when they're ill or pass away.

@hibs.net private member
    His reflexes were unbelievable, also when he punched the ball, the ball screamed, as did the heads he leathered too !!

Always remember his goal too Vs Morton on 07/05/1988 in Scottish League (H 3-1)

Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post
    I think it might have been Ian Colquhoun's book "From Oblivion to Hampden" I read it in. Apparently, Hibernian were in such desperate need of a striker during the 1989-90 season, Alex Miller actually considered puting Andy Goram up front and replacing him in goal with Chris Reid. If true, it just goes to show what an all-rounder Andy was. Cricketer. Amateur boxer. Goalkeeper, and striker.

I will always remember the look Wee Robbo gave Andy when Andy saved his penalty during the 1990 tennents sixes Semi-Final penalty shoot-out.

I loved the answer he gave to the final question of the interview following the semi final win there.

Best goalie I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey and in my opinion the most talented Scottish goalie ever.

Was ahead of his time with the ball comfortable at his feet.

Hope Andy makes the most of the time he has left.

My best wishes to Andy and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Nobody is saying that. Goram has displayed disgusting bigotry and pro-terrorist views in the past, which nobody on here has said is okay. He did serve our club superbly before that, and the fact is the guy is dying. I've never met Goram and don't know whether he still holds appalling views, but, regardless, he and his family merit compassion during a terrible situation. It's easy to love your friends; loving your enemy is much harder.
    Great Post, I met AG a few times while he was at Hibs and he certainly didn't express any of the nonsense he got caught up with at ibrox, he was a good lad and Great company aswell, not to mention the best keeper I've ever seen in a Hibs or Scotland shirt

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Great Post, I met AG a few times while he was at Hibs and he certainly didn't express any of the nonsense he got caught up with at ibrox, he was a good lad and Great company aswell, not to mention the best keeper I've ever seen in a Hibs or Scotland shirt
    I was raised Catholic and I'm sure Goram in the past has sung songs celebrating the murder of people like me. I don't know whether he still does, but I forgive him anyway. I actually pity such a lack of perspective. It's an issue for the man and his conscience. As Martin Luther King said of white supremacists in America, "we will beat them with love." We all have regrets; none of us are perfect. We try to improve over time.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    It's almost frowned upon now, what with the fashion for playing out from the back but I thought it was a real advantage that where needed, Goram could kick the ball box to box from his hands.

I was raised Catholic and I'm sure Goram in the past has sung songs celebrating the murder of people like me. I don't know whether he still does, but I forgive him anyway. I actually pity such a lack of perspective. It's an issue for the man and his conscience. As Martin Luther King said of white supremacists in America, "we will beat them with love." We all have regrets; none of us are perfect. We try to improve over time.
    As was I, and I’m not a big chapel goer nowadays but my interpretation of the whole thing was to forgive, to love one another and to help each other and those most in need. Andy Goram is in need, and I forgive him. I don’t agree with the politics he seemed to get sucked into at Ibrox, I am disgusted by the arm band for Billy Wright. But at the end of the day, he’s a human being and if you’re wanting to get into the religious side of things… he’s Gods creation just like any of us. God bless Andy, all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    It’s really sad and devastating for anyone to be battling such a challenging illness . I wish him and his family all the best .. fight strong Andy

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Sad news. Keeper when I was going home and away so hardly missed a game he played. Best I’ve seen in a Hibs jersey. I remember moaning when Miller signed him thinking the money could be better spent strengthening the team elsewhere! Superb for us.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Sad news. I remember going to see hibs v oldham in the isle of man when it was rumoured we were interested in him. Meant to be a closed doors game but all the hibbies on the tour found out and there was hundreds of us at the game. Seemed a nice lad but went to the dark side.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    As was I, and I’m not a big chapel goer nowadays but my interpretation of the whole thing was to forgive, to love one another and to help each other and those most in need. Andy Goram is in need, and I forgive him. I don’t agree with the politics he seemed to get sucked into at Ibrox, I am disgusted by the arm band for Billy Wright. But at the end of the day, he’s a human being and if you’re wanting to get into the religious side of things… he’s Gods creation just like any of us. God bless Andy, all the best.

Well said. We are all flawed, some more than others, but we try to grow. As Samuel Beckett said in relation to all of us, "We try again, fail again, fail better." To be human is to fall short whilst trying to improve.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Met Andy as a kid at a coaching session for Keepers. Seen my Hibs top and told me "I played for the Hibees, your dad might know me! Wish I had a kit like that though".

He was brilliant, cracking jokes with the kids the full time and spent ages talking with some of the parents afterwards.

Never got to see him play myself but he came across a top guy. Shame to see the news and hope him and his family get through this.

Understand he's been controversial and had his downs in the media, but he was brilliant with me as a kid and just as good with the parents who were obviously all fans.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    I’ll remember the Andy Goram that was absolutely inspirational for me as a teenage Hibs fan, the one who as easily the best GK we ever had, the one who seemed to ride every bird in Edinburgh in the late 80’s and the same one who could’ve kicked my erse all over an Edinburgh park (after I called him a Hun) but chose to ask me to listen to his side of the story and was very complimentary about the Hibs.

The Rangers Andy Goram was pretty sickening to everyone who idolised him from his time at ER but I can send my best wishes to the Andy Goram that played for the Hibs.

Sad news. Can only wish him peace. Awful for the guy and his family.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post

Well said gents, these posts say it all for me. I'm glad to read them and yes I am a Catholic too. It is all about the forgiveness, we are all flawed.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Some nice posts here after a difficult day, well done

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    Such sad news and my best wishes to out to Andy and his family 💚

Best Hibs goalkeeper over the last 40 years by some distance

MY best wishes to the goalie and his family.My mum had the same cancer but got six months more than the doctors predicted.

Best Hibs goalkeeper ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Edina Street View Post

Scott Crabbe's mullet

Actually, Scott Crabbe

That 6s pen is probably the only time he scored against us?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Mainwaring View Post
    Such sad news and my best wishes to out to Andy and his family ��

Best Hibs goalkeeper over the last 40 years by some distance
    I think you could safely say best Hibs goalkeeper ever. Disagree about the distance though, Leighton and Roughie are pretty close behind him.

Some of the dross we've had to put up with since those 3 has been sair to bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    So be it if you want to boo someone with terminal cancer, we'd certainly make the front pages.
    I suspect Goram would only want to walk out on to one pitch. And its not ER.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I suspect Goram would only want to walk out on to one pitch. And its not ER.
    It would be daft to presume either way, but it would be classy to ask. I'm certain he would get a good ovation. It might be beyond him by the time the season gets going though

@hibs.net private member
    I’m positive he took part in a halftime penalty shootout at Tynecastle one derby?

Too young to have seen him play for Hibs but seen plenty of footage of him.

Horrible disease and without going into the personal preferences of his, hope he and his family can find the closure in this difficult time.

Have lost 2 Grandparents to this disease in the last 5 years and it’s horrific.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CL0762 View Post
    I’m positive he took part in a halftime penalty shootout at Tynecastle one derby?

Too young to have seen him play for Hibs but seen plenty of footage of him.

Horrible disease and without going into the personal preferences of his, hope he and his family can find the closure in this difficult time.

Have lost 2 Grandparents to this disease in the last 5 years and it’s horrific.
    I saw him home and away during his entire time at Hibs, was exceptional! His first game against the jumbos, Craig Levien with his ego and arrogance thought he could just kick the ball from kick off right over AG's head to score. AG plucked it out of the air with such ease and grace that we went on to win that day 2-1.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    This is such sad news to hear. What a keeper and character when he played for us.

For me Andy Goram is much more a classic daft footballer than anything else either malign or good. The stories about his behaviour are by any standards very odd in an impressively very wide range of circumstances. I think if he hadn't got himself into one ill judged set of problems he would inevitably have got himself into others. In the context of his having this terrible diagnosis all I care about is to wish him well, somehow.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Scott Crabbe's mullet

Actually, Scott Crabbe

That 6s pen is probably the only time he scored against us?
    Off topic, but Crabbe scored Falkirk's consolation goal on the last day of the 1998-99 season when we won 2-1 before being presented with the First Division trophy. He celebrated by running the length of the East Stand cupping his ear, resulting in the last few minutes of the game being played out to a background chant of "He's blue, he's white, he's First Division *****, Scott Crabbe".

As for Goram, a great keeper throughout his career. Whatever he got into in his life away from football's up to him, he who is without sin and all that. For what it's worth we met him in a pub in Arbroath of all places a few years back and he was more than happy to sit and have a laugh with us, get photos taken etc. Didn't seem any harm in him. I wish him the best.