hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Goram RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep you wouldn't wish cancer on your enemy, having seen it as many others will. It's a horrible death and will effect his whole family. The sad thing is this is the kind of thread fans of other teams will look in on.

I wonder if celtics forum is similar
    I suspect it will be much worse.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Sad news, wish him all the best.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Having recently lost my best mate to caner, only about 10 weeks from final diagnosis to him passing, my heart goes out Andy and his family.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    On a thread about one of our old players who has been sadly diagnosed with a terminal disease we could do without highlighting the man's flaws. If you dislike him don't post, if you dislike his attributes and flaws as a human, don't post out of common human decency.
    As my mum died a horrible death due to this disease I can only wish Andy Goram and his family well and hope they have the support to get them through what is coming ahead for them all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Horrible news.

Give it your very best shot Andy, hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Does that apply that to any Rangers players or only ex-Hibs ones that we like?!

Can we say the same about their fans?

Perfectly normal, decent folk at their day jobs, but the 'craziness' of Ibrox turns them into bigots for 90 mins?

Seems like a convenient excuse.
    Not sure you are aware but AG went right down the whole Ulster Loyalist plughole.

The low point being wearing a black armband for the mid-Ulster LVF leader Billy Wright.

He was a great keeper, best I've seen at Hibs, and I wish him all the best with his illness but there's no point glossing over the darker side to him.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEast View Post
    Religion truly is the root of all evil
    Probably caused more premature deaths worldwide than any disease.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Not sure you are aware but AG went right down the whole Ulster Loyalist plughole.

The low point being wearing a black armband for the mid-Ulster LVF leader Billy Wright.

He was a great keeper, best I've seen at Hibs, and I wish him all the best with his illness but there's no point glossing over the darker side to him.
    Nobody is glossing over anything though are they?

We are aware of the man’s faults but he has been told he has months to live, can’t we just wish him and his family the best?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The double standards on this forum are nauseating at times.

Doesn't matter what the issue is. Racism, bigotry, drink-driving, whatever,

If 'one of our own' does it, they get a pass. Anyone else gets lambasted.

Quote Originally Posted by StarryPloughHSC View Post
    it was deleted for stating some truthful facts about mr goram mate a man who wore a black arm band to commemorate billy wright, pat stanton is my idea of a club legend no racist bigots
    I truly hope this horrible disease never darkens your doorstep. If you can't find compassion for a dying man, then please don't post, and by the way, your hero (and mine) Pat Stanton would definitely find some.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

A measured post, thanks. I'm sure nobody actually wishes him ill, but whitewashing comments about his politics is wrong.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He got pulled into all the hate nonsense by circumstance! That was never the measure of the man, he was/is an idiot who allowed himself to get caught up in it all but his goalkeeping displays were sensational. Best of luck to him in coming to terms with that horrible disease.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 30-05-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbizz1998 View Post
    Nobody is glossing over anything though are they?

We are aware of the man’s faults but he has been told he has months to live, can’t we just wish him and his family the best?
    The post I was replying to tried to imply folk had a problem with AG just because he went to Rangers, which is very much glossing over things. I was just trying to point out in his case there's a lot more to it than that.

Anyway, it's obviously sensitive when the guy is suffering, so I'll shut up and, again, wish him all the best.

He obviously has an addictive personality and is easily led. Would he have been running around with the IRA if he'd signed for Celtic? Probably. He's got serious flaws however the guy has been told he has terminal cancer. Imagine being told you had months to live. Bet none of us actually can. Horrific.

There isn't getting away from the fact that in his autobiography Goram described Hibs fans as "The worst of all" as well as vocal and active support for terrorist organizations going as far as to wear a black armband in a match against Celtic when one of the terrorists died.

By all means show sympathy and concern for his health problems but is there any need to try to whitewash or worse censor any mention of his sinister past.

@hibs.net private member
    Don't think anyone is whitewashing. It's obvious his faults. He went down the rabbit hole of the religion pish that blightens both sides of the arse cheeks. I doubt Dundee motherwell or Falkirk forums if they have a goram thread will be as grimm.

He's not got a cold he's dying a horrible death. Sectarian bigotry is cringe. Two sides of one religion dying over which version of a fairytale is the right one

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He obviously has an addictive personality and is easily led. Would he have been running around with the IRA if he'd signed for Celtic? Probably. He's got serious flaws however the guy has been told he has terminal cancer. Imagine being told you had months to live. Bet none of us actually can. Horrific.
    Spot on. I think that goes for a good number of the support on both sides, no idea what they are singing about

There were people sticking up for an ex Hibs player from the 70's recenty who was charged with stalking an elderly woman. He was just a poor guy who's lost his wife though. Been through a lot etc.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Nobody is saying that. Goram has displayed disgusting bigotry and pro-terrorist views in the past, which nobody on here has said is okay. He did serve our club superbly before that, and the fact is the guy is dying. I've never met Goram and don't know whether he still holds appalling views, but, regardless, he and his family merit compassion during a terrible situation. It's easy to love your friends; loving your enemy is much harder.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 30-05-2022 at 03:31 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    There isn't getting away from the fact that in his autobiography Goram described Hibs fans as "The worst of all" as well as vocal and active support for terrorist organizations going as far as to wear a black armband in a match against Celtic when one of the terrorists died.

By all means show sympathy and concern for his health problems but is there any need to try to whitewash or worse censor any mention of his sinister past.
    Where is the censorship? Looks like one post from our pro IRA newbie was removed for trying to (successfully too) put an anti Catholic / racist element to the thread.

I hope no one mentions Anthony Stokes and the IRA (or Elvis) or I'll never be able to watch 2016 ever again.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Nobody is saying that. Goram has displayed disgusting bigotry and pro-terrorist views in the past, which nobody on here has said is okay. He did serve our club superbly before that, and the fact is the guy is dying. I've never met Goram and don't know whether he still holds appalling views, but, regardless, he and his family merit compassion during a terrible situation. It's easy to love your friends; loving your enemy is much harder.
    Well said
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member
    Brilliant

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    There’s a time and a place for balanced debate, surely off the back of news about a terminal cancer diagnosis is not that time.

Sad news, wish him all the best.

Great post

He was a top class keeper for us,sad news.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Sad , Sad news

Goram was an unbelievable goalkeeper for us

@hibs.net private member

@hibs.net private member
    No many top keepers under 6 foot nowadays, think he was 5"11

Sad news, I might not agree with his views but he's a human being with a horrible illness, all the best to him

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Where is the censorship? Looks like one post from our pro IRA newbie was removed for trying to (successfully too) put an anti Catholic / racist element to the thread.

I hope no one mentions Anthony Stokes and the IRA (or Elvis) or I'll never be able to watch 2016 ever again.
    Indeed. Who would set their moral compass by what a footballer says or does? A great many of them aren't the sharpest people around and are easily led down the wrong road. A fair few Hibs players post-Goram would fit that bill.