hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Scuba Diving

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar

Scuba Diving

A niche sport perhaps, but does anyone else on here dive either in Scotland or just on holiday? I haven't dived in the North Sea for about 8 years but interested to hear others' experiences on whether it's worth starting again, and also where you've enjoyed diving most abroad?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A niche sport perhaps, but does anyone else on here dive either in Scotland or just on holiday? I haven't dived in the North Sea for about 8 years but interested to hear others' experiences on whether it's worth starting again, and also where you've enjoyed diving most abroad?

Have done it 3 times, all very different experiences, first time was in Dominican Republic, didn't see much and visibility was not that great, also the guide who accompanied us disappeared and we were left to our own devices and did not feel safe at all, the second time was in Egypt in the red sea, brilliant experience see loads the usual parrotfish and Angelfish but also saw a pufferfish up really close, guide was brilliant pointing loads out and felt at ease the whole time, last time was in Thailand, water their was crystal clear, seen loads of different species and large schools of fish which we were right beside, remember thinking at the time that this would be an ideal predator feeding ground, gets the heart pumping and the scenery their was second to none, sure the place we left from was Ao Nang, also done snorkeling in the cenotes in Mexico, saw nothing though, noticed that people were scuba diving there too which I would have loved to have done, very eerie and dark but would liked to have explored it, this was all done about 10-15 years ago when I was fearless and loved an adventure, then kids come along and it's now British holidays and the odd week abroad, just loved being at sea when travelling, whether on a boat our out in the water, will hopefully do it again some day. If it's something you enjoyed I would say go for it, definitely worth doing it abroad, make sure that you are going with a reputable diving company too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    Have done it 3 times, all very different experiences, first time was in Dominican Republic, didn't see much and visibility was not that great, also the guide who accompanied us disappeared and we were left to our own devices and did not feel safe at all, the second time was in Egypt in the red sea, brilliant experience see loads the usual parrotfish and Angelfish but also saw a pufferfish up really close, guide was brilliant pointing loads out and felt at ease the whole time, last time was in Thailand, water their was crystal clear, seen loads of different species and large schools of fish which we were right beside, remember thinking at the time that this would be an ideal predator feeding ground, gets the heart pumping and the scenery their was second to none, sure the place we left from was Ao Nang, also done snorkeling in the cenotes in Mexico, saw nothing though, noticed that people were scuba diving there too which I would have loved to have done, very eerie and dark but would liked to have explored it, this was all done about 10-15 years ago when I was fearless and loved an adventure, then kids come along and it's now British holidays and the odd week abroad, just loved being at sea when travelling, whether on a boat our out in the water, will hopefully do it again some day. If it's something you enjoyed I would say go for it, definitely worth doing it abroad, make sure that you are going with a reputable diving company too.
    Sounds like some great experiences. I've dived twice in the Red Sea (saw a pod of 29 Dolphins up close which was incredible) and also in Mexico but didn't do the Cenotes as I wasn't experienced enough at the time to cave dive.

Going to Madeira in May to covert from BSAC to PADI so it's easier to dive worldwide.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Sounds like some great experiences. I've dived twice in the Red Sea (saw a pod of 29 Dolphins up close which was incredible) and also in Mexico but didn't do the Cenotes as I wasn't experienced enough at the time to cave dive.

Going to Madeira in May to covert from BSAC to PADI so it's easier to dive worldwide.

Wow, that would have been something else to be up close to a pod off dolphins, my old work mate had been scuba diving in the North Sea and tried to get me along once, did not fancy it at all, think the cold and lack of visibility put me off,
    Madeira sounds fantastic though, this has peaked my interest again, wonder what the holy grail off scuba diving is?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakhog1 View Post
    Wow, that would have been something else to be up close to a pod off dolphins, my old work mate had been scuba diving in the North Sea and tried to get me along once, did not fancy it at all, think the cold and lack of visibility put me off,
    Madeira sounds fantastic though, this has peaked my interest again, wonder what the holy grail off scuba diving is?
    In Scotland it’s meant to be Scapa flow. Abroad, not too sure.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Was a PADI advanced diver (not dived for over 10 years now), have to admit never dived in the UK. Some excellent diving round out coasts though. Im a fair weather diver

Just snorkel these days, but it is just about the first thing that goes in my suitcase when I go abroad (well to places bythe sea )

Have had some fantastic experiences diving, would highy recommend having a go if you're thinking about it. Ive Scuba dived in Malta, Maritius, USA, Australia, Cyprus, South Africa and the Canary Islands.