hibs.net Messageboard

Page 288 of 584 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338388 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,640 of 17517
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And souttar got dogs abuse from hearts fans for doing so.

He can protect his own interests and hibs’ by signing an extension but potentially including a buy out clause.
    Yes, Souttar got dogs abuse from Hearts fans but don't think it affected his form.

Porteous is a strong character and if he doesn't sign a new contract and stays, I fully expect him to still be one of our more effective players. Not sure if Porteous is protecting his own interests if he wants a move but signs a new contract with us. There is more chance of him getting a better contract/signing on fee if the club that buys him gets Porteous at a lower price.

I agree it would 100% protect the club's interests and would lead to us getting a potentially higher transfer fee, but not Porteous.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I can take off the green-tinted specs and say Hickey is very obviously a very good young player.

He only recently turned 20 years old, but he made his international debut and was and a regular starter in Serie A at 19 years old. I think he'll go to Brentford and kick on, and get a move to a better team in a couple of seasons max.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Indeed mate, in which case all you can do is look at what the market is prepared to pay for potential, in Liverpool's case that appears to be over 4 million quid and they are far from the first club to pay over 2 million quid for that type of player. That's context and though I do not put Doig in the 4 million quid bracket I just think anybody saying he is worth half a million in today's market is at it. Opinions aside can you see any scenario short of a fire sale where Hibs would let Josh Doig go for that sort of money?
    No, I can't.

Fire sale - stranger things have happened.

Doig doesn't really kick on, contract gets into last year and we're faced with half a million or nothing - stranger things have happened.

Someone from the West lowballs us with half a million, get Doig to kick off big time via agent antics etc and Hibs end up in an impossible situation - stranger things have happened.

I think the £4m stuff is fanciful and Aberdeen won a watch to catch Liverpool's eye for a player who is so far from the finished article but who has shown potential.

It's hard to see Hibs turning down £1.5m - £2m at this stage. A solid season this season though and you could easily double that and then some, which is why I'd been keen to keep him. Especially since he seems happy, keen to stay and understands the importance of playing regularly in his development.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I can take off the green-tinted specs and say Hickey is very obviously a very good young player.

He only recently turned 20 years old, but he made his international debut and was and a regular starter in Serie A at 19 years old. I think he'll go to Brentford and kick on, and get a move to a better team in a couple of seasons max.
    Truth is, I don't think many of us have actually seen enough of him to form an opinion - other than his performances for Hearts against Hibs, the odd highlight from Italy and his "quiet" debut for Scotland in a tough game against Ukraine.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Part of the reason Porto hasn't signed the deal that is on the table is he reckoned the club was showing a lack of ambition, hopefully he may have changed his view on that the last couple of weeks.

Hibs offer is a good one and comparable with ones that have been mentioned in dispatches from Championship clubs. He might just sign, I would say there is more chance now than there was a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Part of the reason Porto hasn't signed the deal that is on the table is he reckoned the club was showing a lack of ambition, hopefully he may have changed his view on that the last couple of weeks.

Hibs offer is a good one and comparable with ones that have been mentioned in dispatches from Championship clubs. He might just sign, I would say there is more chance now than there was a month ago
    And offering him the captaincy might further help seal the deal.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

Hopefully more to come and we can get a contract extension announcement from the club once the window shuts

Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    Yes, give him the armband, we have lacked a real leader for a while now.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Has there been any indication of when Bojang will be able to join up with the squad?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Hopefully more to come and we can get a contract extension announcement from the club once the window shuts
    It would be brilliant if he did sign a new contract but inwardly I can't help thinking that he's a marked man in the cesspit of Scottish Football and for the sake of his career he would be better moving to pastures new.

If we are handing out captains armbands just to get someone to sign a deal (just weeks after publicly reprimanding him) then i'd be worried about the decision making at the club.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Jamie Murphy signs for St Johnstone.
    Rather them than us. He should never have been near our first team after his performance in the league cup final. In my humble opinion etc etc etc obviously....!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

I’d suspect if Hickey hadn’t played for Hearts and simply broke through at Bologna and played nearly every game last season whilst being 19 years old that we’d be seeing a much more honest appraisal of him.

You don’t end up being nominated for the golden boy award and moving for £1.5m or whatever it was then again for £20m by the time you’ve just turned 20 years old unless you’re a bit special.

I’d fancy he’ll spend 2 years at Brentford then he’ll be away to one of the big clubs in world football whether that’s in england or abroad.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 05-07-2022 at 02:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Has anyone got any info on who the goalkeeping coach might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    I’m sorry but Hickey is nothing special, incredible business to get that sort of money for a very average and limited footballer.
    That is some statement. The boy is an excellent talent, barely out of his teens and is only going to get better. I’m struggling to see how you could possibly reach your conclusion.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    Where's Porto been?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    Sure I read there would be an announcement soon, the guy in Portugal was meant to be just standing in?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I didn't think Doig had a great season last season. He was often played out of position and was culpable for us losing a few goals. If the scout saw all of our games then he'd probably see the mixed bag. If he saw a select few performances I could certainly understand how a scout might think he's not deserving of the accolades that come his way. If he'd been at others though, I could certainly understand how a scout might think he's very good indeed.

The time is right for Doig to play in his best position and play in an attacking side that will show his best attributes off, and with better players playing in a better formation that will help him show what he's all about a bit better.

I actually think Doig would be better suited to England than Hickey - because English football is more about physicality than technical ability and I think Doig has more to offer there. Hickey would be more suited to Italian football though and I'm not convinced the rawer but more physical Doig would fit in as well as Hickey there.
    I’m sure I remember someone on here putting up an article that said Doig was in the top 20 U21 year olds in Europe (presumably defenders) last season stats wise. I know it’s the way of the modern world that players are becoming judged on stats more than what you see with your own eyes. Same with JDH & Newell being among the top midfielders for key stats. While all that might be true it was difficult to see much evidence of that from a wretched season where everyone struggled.

Apologies to go off on an old man’s rant, particularly as you weren’t talking about stats. Thought Doig was ok last season but a drop off from his debut season. Which is probably to be expected, hopefully he really kicks on again this season.

I would hope we don't end up as the same situation we had with Riordan, running down his contract then buggering off to Celtic to keep the bench warm for next to nothing.4

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’m sure I remember someone on here putting up an article that said Doig was in the top 20 U21 year olds in Europe (presumably defenders) last season stats wise. I know it’s the way of the modern world that players are becoming judged on stats more than what you see with your own eyes. Same with JDH & Newell being among the top midfielders for key stats. While all that might be true it was difficult to see much evidence of that from a wretched season where everyone struggled.

Apologies to go off on an old man’s rant, particularly as you weren’t talking about stats. Thought Doig was ok last season but a drop off from his debut season. Which is probably to be expected, hopefully he really kicks on again this season.
    JDH was one of the best defensively....very low on stats for forward passes that create chances.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Has there been talk about clubs coming in for Doig or anyone else this window?

I've not really been following things but last year the fear was losing Nisbet, Doing or Porto. Is it basically the same chat regurgitated or something new?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    JDH was one of the best defensively....very low on stats for forward passes that create chances.
    If you look at the stats of JDH, Newell, Doig etc. on the likely metrics that they were judged on by their manager (Maloney) in reality as compared to the sales guff he gave the fans about "attacking football" and the like then they probably did a very good job. Eleven men back at set pieces, being happy with things he'd seen when we'd barely had a shot on goal in a boring 0-0 draw and the like - Maloneyball was effectively all out defence without the benefit of a pacey counter attack and defensively they did a very good job.

It's why I don't think we need major surgery other than more squad depth and balance. I think a lot of players who were hung out to dry last season (JDH, Campbell, Newell etc) will end up doing a lot better this season once they're given a bit more freedom to get forward and take a risk or two.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    No info but I’m guessing David Preece.

Recently left Sunderland and was also at Barnsley or Bristol city around the same time as LJ

Quote Originally Posted by leith lynx View Post
    If he isn't a leader now, an armband will change nothing.

Or would stripping our current captain, Paul Hanlon, a club legend of his well earned captaincy effect him and others negatively.

Being captain of Hibs should not be some sweetener to make someone sign a new deal IMO.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post

Personally thought he was pretty good last season and seemed one of the few who did well under Maloney.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Personally thought he was pretty good last season and seemed one of the few who did well under Maloney.
    He got much better as the season progressed . Actually thought he was one of our best players for the second half of the season - very athletic …

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    He got much better as the season progressed . Actually thought he was one of our best players for the second half of the season - very athletic …
    Agree with that. There was a game against St Johnstone at home where I think he played left centre back where thought he was exceptional

Very interesting that LJ wanted Porto miked up during the Hartlepool game. A very good tactic imo. Forced Porto into being more vocal, giving out instructions and organising. Thats the kind of thing that'll make him sign a new contract, knowing the manager can improve him. Hopefully he does. I've probably been one of his biggest critics on here but mainly because i rate him so highly.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Truth is, I don't think many of us have actually seen enough of him to form an opinion - other than his performances for Hearts against Hibs, the odd highlight from Italy and his "quiet" debut for Scotland in a tough game against Ukraine.
    Agree! I think this is typical football forum chat building up an opinion on a player based on very little appraisal or analysis and then making ridiculous statements to support it.

To be honest, I know very little about Hickey, so have zero opinion on whether he's worth the investment that has been made to date. I'd rather take on board the opinion of those who have done the detailed appraisal and analysis, especially those who are spending vast sums of money to procure his services. I hope for Hickey and for Scottish football that he succeeds in the game. He's already achieved more in the game than the vast majority of the stay-at-home Scottish footballers have or will.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Does giving a player the armband and making him captain have any bareing on a player when looking at his options?