hibs.net Messageboard

Page 287 of 584 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287288289297337387 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,610 of 17517
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know the Scottish scout of an English Championship club and he has had a good look at Doig a few times. He does'nt think at this present moment he is anywhere near that level and nowhere near the value that is being kicked around. Dont be surprised that Doig will be at Hibs for the coming season with no bids being forthcoming.
    Who? He must be a poor scout.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    Spades? A big unit with a great motor AND starting blocks! Lol. A construction vehicle?
    A tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    Who? He must be a poor scout.
    I didn't think Doig had a great season last season. He was often played out of position and was culpable for us losing a few goals. If the scout saw all of our games then he'd probably see the mixed bag. If he saw a select few performances I could certainly understand how a scout might think he's not deserving of the accolades that come his way. If he'd been at others though, I could certainly understand how a scout might think he's very good indeed.

The time is right for Doig to play in his best position and play in an attacking side that will show his best attributes off, and with better players playing in a better formation that will help him show what he's all about a bit better.

I actually think Doig would be better suited to England than Hickey - because English football is more about physicality than technical ability and I think Doig has more to offer there. Hickey would be more suited to Italian football though and I'm not convinced the rawer but more physical Doig would fit in as well as Hickey there.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I agree, I've not seen loads of Hickey but when I have seen him, I've never been blown away. Clearly there must be something there to generate that level of spend, though.
    He was brilliant against us at Easter Road. Sure he scored. On the flip side i thought he was poor in a game at Tynecastle. Very good player for his age though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    He was brilliant against us at Easter Road. Sure he scored. On the flip side i thought he was poor in a game at Tynecastle. Very good player for his age though.
    Yup. He was the best player on the park that day imo and he must have only been 16/17.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    I’m sorry but Hickey is nothing special, incredible business to get that sort of money for a very average and limited footballer.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    The great thing is Doig is only going if the reported 4 million value is met . Otherwise we have a cracking young player in our team .
    Same with porteous if he is staying as well then we look good at the back with Marshall behind them .
    I'm more concerned with tying porteous down to me he is the best player we have

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    I’m sorry but Hickey is nothing special, incredible business to get that sort of money for a very average and limited footballer.
    Just turned 20 last month, has played in a cup final (and won MOTM I’m sure?) and the Serie A. 81 first team appearances, 6 goals (48 appearances and 5 goals in Italy from full back). Full international. On the list for the Golden Boy award.

I’d go as far as saying Brentford have got themselves a steal at that price when you see what other players go for down there.

I’m sorry but if he’a “nothing special” then I’d hate to think what 99.9% of the worlds footballers would be described as.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Just turned 20 last month, has played in a cup final (and won MOTM) and the Serie A. 81 first team appearances, 6 goals (48 appearances and 5 goals in Italy from full back). Full international. On the list for the Golden Boy award.

I’d go as far as saying Brentford have got themselves a steal at that price when you see what other players go for down there.

I’m sorry but if he’a “nothing special” then I’d hate to think what 99.9% of the worlds footballers would be described as.
    Wait till we lose our first game of the season...

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    The great thing is Doig is only going if the reported 4 million value is met . Otherwise we have a cracking young player in our team .
    Same with porteous if he is staying as well then we look good at the back with Marshall behind them .
    I'm more concerned with tying porteous down to me he is the best player we have

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Problem is, I think there is zero chance we will tie Porteous down. He either leaves now and we get what we can with a year on his contract or he goes in a year and we get nowt, although possibly after an excellent year of football as he tries to get as many options as possible for himself at the end of his contract.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Problem is, I think there is zero chance we will tie Porteous down. He either leaves now and we get what we can with a year on his contract or he goes in a year and we get nowt, although possibly after an excellent year of football as he tries to get as many options as possible for himself at the end of his contract.
    Supposedly there’s a big offer by our standards on the table for him and has been for a while. Just hasn’t signed it.

He’s maybe not as hibs through n through as we think

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Supposedly there’s a big offer by our standards on the table for him and has been for a while. Just hasn’t signed it.

He's a good player, has confidence in his own ability and a lot of ambition.

I don't think I'd question his "through and through" credentials but he's simply got ideas a few levels above our station.

When push comes to shove, all players are more interested in their own progress than the progress of the club they followed as a kid.

It's nice if the 2 can align for a while though, and it's always better when they move somewhere where they're not coming back to play against us.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Just turned 20 last month, has played in a cup final (and won MOTM I’m sure?) and the Serie A. 81 first team appearances, 6 goals (48 appearances and 5 goals in Italy from full back). Full international. On the list for the Golden Boy award.

Vastly over rated and will be found out I’m sure in the English Premiership.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Each to their own but cant see very average, limited players playing regularly in serie A

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19

He’s maybe not hibs through and through because he hasn’t signed a new deal, which has supposedly been offered?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    He’s maybe not hibs through and through because he hasn’t signed a new deal, which has supposedly been offered?
    That’s correct.

Martin Boyle done the right thing.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

He definitely should be looking after his interests though ideally he would sign a deal which means the club benefit when he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Who's forcing him out the door?
    I dont think anyone at the club is tbh, and he has said he's in no rush to move on. That's not to say there arent other people in his ear trying to push him to the next club.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    That’s correct.

Martin Boyle done the right thing.
    I agree Boyle done the right thing and ideally Porto will too, however it’s based on something that’s supposedly happened and not actually happened.

He does need to look after his own interests but i’d hope he will also look after hibs best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    Some folk on here really are a bit precious.

Seems some posters are keeping a count of people who give their honest opinion (some critical of Hibs), then if they reach their own pre-requisite amount, out them as a Yam.

There was even a guy who took the time to trawl through some of my posts, really can't remember his name. He found 4 or 5 critical posts of mine over the last couple of years, collated them together then called me a Yam. He didn't even think to quote any of the numerous positive quotes I give. Strange behaviour.

This platform is to give positive and critical comments on Hibs. There are some lazy posters too quick to label others as a Yam, when really their evidence is at best flimsy.

I like to read critical comments on Hibs. These are often the most amusing ones, as in the end is this forum not just a bit of fun.

Some people take critical responses personally, even if it's not aimed at them. It's almost as if they take any criticism of Hibs personally.
    All I can say to that mate is, feel free to trawl through my posts and get back to me with how many times in 15 years and 12,000 odd posts I've accused anybody of being a Jambo on here, you will find it's as rare as hens teeth. Unless a comment actually is personal I don't take it personally.

But sometimes somebody's assessment of a player or an aspect relating to the club is so utterly negative it's hard not to draw that conclusion and suggesting the best offer Hibs could expect for someone as promising as Josh Doig is half a million quid falls into that category for me, especially on the back of Liverpool having just paid four million quid for an 18 year old right back with 28 first team games under his belt for a team who were worse than us last season.

In that scenario suggesting Doig is worth £500,000 is either ridiculously naive or just trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    All I can say to that mate is, feel free to trawl through my posts and get back to me with how many times in 15 years and 12,000 odd posts I've accused anybody of being a Jambo on here, you will find it's as rare as hens teeth. Unless a comment actually is personal I don't take it personally.

But sometimes somebody's assessment of a player or an aspect relating to the club is so utterly negative it's hard not to draw that conclusion and suggesting the best offer Hibs could expect for someone as promising as Josh Doig is half a million quid falls into that category for me, especially on the back of Liverpool having just paid four million quid for an 18 year old right back with 28 first team games under his belt for a team who were worse than us last season.

In that scenario suggesting Doig is worth £500,000 is either ridiculously naive or just trolling.
    I find it quite hard to put a value on a player.

At the end of the day, they're worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. We don't know what anyone would be prepared to pay for Doig.

The market for footballers is totally skewed by the insane amounts of money swilling around in the English game and it makes it tempting to overvalue all of our players.

Doig didn't have a brilliant season last season, certainly not as good as his first. An argument could be made, on the back of that, that he's a very average left sided centre back with potential to improve. How much would one of those be worth, if the English clubs with the money didn't see it in him? Is half a million all that outrageous?

With Doig it's all about potential and that's difficult to put a price on. A good season as an attacking fullback in a team that gets forward in numbers and the half a million could easily look ridiculous. But as it stands, I don't think it's a crazy opinion to hold, even if I'd value him a fair bit above that personally.

With Doig you'd be buying potential, that's what will make him worth a lot of money. He's far from the finished article and i think we could replace him because of that but he has the potential to go on and be very, very good. 4/5 million is what i'd be looking for with add ons. I don't think we should accept anything less.

So, if Porteous and his agent think he can move on to a club that offer better wages, what's wrong with that in this day and age.

Labelling him as not being Hibs through and through by not signing the contract we have put on offer is a bit harsh. Yes, he could sign the contract to enable us to get a big fee for him but he is not obliged to.

The Porteous scenario is the same as when McGinn left. McGinn only had one year on his contract when he left for Villa which in some way restricted the transfer fee we got for him. He didn't sign a longer contract to enable us to get a bigger and probably more accurate fee (£5m - £6m).

Porteous is within his right to sit and wait until offers come in or even run his contract down and we get nowt. Souttar did the same with the Yams.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Jamie Murphy signs for St Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    So, if Porteous and his agent think he can move on to a club that offer better wages, what's wrong with that in this day and age.

Labelling him as not being Hibs through and through by not signing the contract we have put on offer is a bit harsh. Yes, he could sign the contract to enable us to get a big fee for him but he is not obliged to.

The Porteous scenario is the same as when McGinn left. McGinn only had one year on his contract when he left for Villa which in some way restricted the transfer fee we got for him. He didn't sign a longer contract to enable us to get a bigger and probably more accurate fee (£5m - £6m).

Porteous is within his right to sit and wait until offers come in or even run his contract down and we get nowt. Souttar did the same with the Yams.
    And souttar got dogs abuse from hearts fans for doing so.

He can protect his own interests and hibs’ by signing an extension but potentially including a buy out clause.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I don't remember him being brilliant but then I struggle to give that lot Abby credit at any time so I'm probably not the best person to judge

I'm sure his goal took a massive deflection as well

Please don't think I'm saying he's not a good player, I'm not talking him down - I haven't paid enough attention to him to say one way or the other. Just didn't see it myself when I watched him.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I find it quite hard to put a value on a player.

At the end of the day, they're worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. We don't know what anyone would be prepared to pay for Doig.

The market for footballers is totally skewed by the insane amounts of money swilling around in the English game and it makes it tempting to overvalue all of our players.

Doig didn't have a brilliant season last season, certainly not as good as his first. An argument could be made, on the back of that, that he's a very average left sided centre back with potential to improve. How much would one of those be worth, if the English clubs with the money didn't see it in him? Is half a million all that outrageous?

With Doig it's all about potential and that's difficult to put a price on. A good season as an attacking fullback in a team that gets forward in numbers and the half a million could easily look ridiculous. But as it stands, I don't think it's a crazy opinion to hold, even if I'd value him a fair bit above that personally.
    Indeed mate, in which case all you can do is look at what the market is prepared to pay for potential, in Liverpool's case that appears to be over 4 million quid and they are far from the first club to pay over 2 million quid for that type of player. That's context and though I do not put Doig in the 4 million quid bracket I just think anybody saying he is worth half a million in today's market is at it. Opinions aside can you see any scenario short of a fire sale where Hibs would let Josh Doig go for that sort of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Think that's a good signing for them

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Who do we play first game again?...

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Who do we play first game again?...